Raheem to ATL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
But that stat backs up what I have been saying all along.
Uhh ... no you said Rams didn't blitz ... or never remember seeing them blitz or that maybe they

By the way - when I mean more aggressive, I mean on some of those specific plays - blitz, on others - stay back. Mix it up.
They do mix it up

And this is just based on my memory that I do not ever recall Morris blitzing on 3rd and 10 to 20.

I could be wrong. My memory isn't perfect. Maybe we did blitz occasionally but I can't remember a time that they did.
But they did. I not only showed they did, now you have the numbers, they blitz just under NFL average and they before better than the NFL average.

I hate to say it but they acutally proves when you said fams didn't blitz you were wrong ... it proves you wrong, not right.

I love it when facts come out. But It's kind of off base to say they prove your case when they prove the opposite. If you had said they DO blitz then you could say they proved you right.

This is confusing

Tano

Legend
Uhh ... no you said Rams didn't blitz ... or never remember seeing them blitz or that maybe they

They do mix it up

But they did. I not only showed they did, now you have the numbers, they blitz just under NFL average and they before better than the NFL average.

I hate to say it but they acutally proves when you said fams didn't blitz you were wrong ... it proves you wrong, not right.

I love it when facts come out. But It's kind of off base to say they prove your case when they prove the opposite. If you had said they DO blitz then you could say they proved you right.

This is confusing
I will admit that I was wrong about them never blitzing but I also made another statement after you showed them stop the other team on blitzes 3 out of 4 tries and saying that I must just be remembering the ones where they failed that they didn't blitz.

Those percentages just listed that they only blitz 1 out 6 attempts. Not a high number in my opinion.

I would rather they blitz 1 out of 3 or 4 tries but again I have always liked aggressive defenses. Just my preference.

I also said in my post that the NFL is way too conservative on 3rd and 10 + so just being under the NFL average doesn't mean anything.

So you were right that they did blitz but I am still standing by my statement that they should have blitzed more frequently.

I also showed you my stats that teams were making 1st down at least 50% in half the games and 40% in a few more games and even if it was only 2 tries in a game that still showed me in my mind that uh oh 3rd and 10 plus. I bet the other team makes it. Only 5 games did the Rams do better than stop them 40% of the time. Note - 2 of the games last year the Rams did not have a 3rd and 10 or longer that fell within my statement.

Whereas if I saw anywhere from 3rd and 2 to 3rd and 7 that I had higher confidence that the Rams would stop them.

Tano

Legend
That 11+ includes 3rd and 19, 20, 31. Why blitz when you can play back and if you tackle well force a punt or even better more guys back makes the probability of a pick considerably higher. They should have taken it one more step.....3rd and 11-15. Then 16+. They take 3 steps to get to 10 yards, then zoom it on out.
Yeah but there were a few times where on 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 20, the Rams gave up 10 to 18 yards that gave the other team either a shot at the first down or a field goal possibility. I would rather they blitz more often even on those plays.

Tano

Legend
Am I reading that right? We blitz less than league average on 3rd and short but much much more on 3rd and 3-6 yards also more on 3rd and 7-10 yards but 1% below average on 11+ yards?
I stand by my statement that the league average is too conservative for my taste on 3rd and 11 plus. That's just my preference.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yeah but there were a few times where on 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 20, the Rams gave up 10 to 18 yards that gave the other team either a shot at the first down or a field goal possibility. I would rather they blitz more often even on those plays.
I would rather we play D like the 85 Bears because it's entertaining to watch. I'll settle for successful though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I stand by my statement that the league average is too conservative for my taste on 3rd and 11 plus. That's just my preference.

I hate analytics in a lot of cases.

Every down & drive are different.Basic is basic, there is so much you can’t input & the feel of the game.Hard to say one thing or another.I think you have to analyze things & make the decision on the current situation.It’s hard to even judge 1 NFL team to another

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I will admit that I was wrong about them never blitzing but I also made another statement after you showed them stop the other team on blitzes 3 out of 4 tries and saying that I must just be remembering the ones where they failed that they didn't blitz.
Remember when I said you keep moving the goalposts? This is an example of it. You were shown to be in error, now you change your opinion to fit the data ... how does that make you right?

Those percentages just listed that they only blitz 1 out 6 attempts. Not a high number in my opinion.
How do you know? You said they NEVER blitzed. Now you've moved the goalposts to "well they do blitz but not enough"

I would rather they blitz 1 out of 3 or 4 tries but again I have always liked aggressive defenses. Just my preference.
What is the success rate of teams that blitz to the levels that you want? What if you want something that is not good? Just because it is what you think is agressive? That would make no sense.

I also said in my post that the NFL is way too conservative on 3rd and 10 + so just being under the NFL average doesn't mean anything.
How are you in any position to judge what NFL coaches are doing?

So you were right that they did blitz but I am still standing by my statement that they should have blitzed more frequently.
Again, moving the goalpost. Really, going this far to after you've been shown to be wrong are every single turn? You were wrong on all the numbers and all the theories? Now you've changed again. You wanted all the situations that you didn't like taken out, you wanted 3rd and 10+ rather than usual 3rd and long, everything hand-tailored and still, you were never right.

Sorry, I understadn your frustration but you cannot clain to be right when you're wrong. You said one thing and it was another. Now you are saying you are switching it up.

I also showed you my stats that teams were making 1st down at least 50% in half the games and 40% in a few more games and even if it was only 2 tries in a game that still showed me in my mind that uh oh 3rd and 10 plus. I bet the other team makes it. Only 5 games did the Rams do better than stop them 40% of the time. Note - 2 of the games last year the Rams did not have a 3rd and 10 or longer that fell within my statement.
I proved you made errors in that research. I proved that in most of those games you complained about there were only 2 tries. So it was either 1 of 2 or 0-2. You called 1 of 2 a failure but 0-2 was perfect. So, you only accept perfect. That is an unreasonable standard. And that is what you have been all along. Unreasonable. You want what you want. Not what reality is.

You didn't like usual breakdowns of down and distances you wanted what you wanted so I broked down that.

You say, "in your mind" -- well, that really does not count. You see things emotionally. You get mad, you get frustrated and want to place blame. That is not the way to analyze things.

When I ran YOUR numbers I had to correct for errors and found that you own research showed that the Rams were only allowing 35% conversions. That is good.

But again, after I showed you were trying to take a good rate and turn it into bad, you are making the same claim again ... I guess to what? Prove your self right? To save face?

When you call those several 1 for 2 games failures it is two small a sample because of the 0-2 perfect, 1-2 failure issue. There is no room for anything in the middle. You created 4-5 games (I cannot rememeber) that were binary.

That is just not fair and does not prove you right, I'm sorry.

The Rams were good --- not as good as YOU wanted (but nothing will every please you, it seems, short of perfection) --- in the situations you thought they stunk.

The Rams blitzed --- not as much as YOU wanted (but the NFL average was not enough to please you) ---in situtations you said they didn't blitz.

It's time to admit you maybe didn't see what you think you saw and the numbers, these new numbers and the fim clips I show have proven it over and over and over and over and over. It's just overwhelming.

Whereas if I saw anywhere from 3rd and 2 to 3rd and 7 that I had higher confidence that the Rams would stop them.
But the numbers didn't back that up. I SHOWED you those numbers. It was the not what you thought. Go back and check. I also challenged you to double check the numbers just so you couldn't go back and claim something new --- as you are now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is fine we all have those. But the reality we have to live with is the defense McVay want to run. It's all well and good yo prefer something other than his defense. What fans fail at is because our defense isn't what they want doesn't mean it sucks or Amy of the other adjectives regularly assigned to it. Doesn't mean the coaches suck but we all know what people say about Morris.

Also we were 16th in blitz % which makes us league average ranking which isn't conservative. On those 3rd and long we blitz close to twice as much as other distances which isn't conservative. Again I get its your preferences but the reality of what we have for a defense is different so we have to live with it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Isn't this whole blitz thing subjective? The quantity doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. If you have a very good front 4 you don't need to blitz as much.

Tano

Legend
Which is fine we all have those. But the reality we have to live with is the defense McVay want to run. It's all well and good yo prefer something other than his defense. What fans fail at is because our defense isn't what they want doesn't mean it sucks or Amy of the other adjectives regularly assigned to it. Doesn't mean the coaches suck but we all know what people say about Morris.

Also we were 16th in blitz % which makes us league average ranking which isn't conservative. On those 3rd and long we blitz close to twice as much as other distances which isn't conservative. Again I get its your preferences but the reality of what we have for a defense is different so we have to live with it.
This is my response to everyone.

That is fine and dandy but the entire conversation from MY point of view is that I believe we were too conservative on 3rd and 10 plus.

That is my point of view only. I can't stress that enough.

I think I have a right as a fan to express my opinion whatever the stats may say.

Doesn't mean I am right and that coaches should do what I say. I will again restate that phrase - Opinions are line Assholes, you know the rest.

If you and anyone else want to say I am wrong - that is your right to an opinion as well. And I can respect that. Just don't throw my opinion down the well just because you disagree.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my response to everyone.

That is fine and dandy but the entire conversation from MY point of view is that I believe we were too conservative on 3rd and 10 plus.

That is my point of view only. I can't stress that enough.

I think I have a right as a fan to express my opinion whatever the stats may say.

Doesn't mean I am right and that coaches should do what I say. I will again restate that phrase - Opinions are line Assholes, you know the rest.

If you and anyone else want to say I am wrong - that is your right to an opinion as well. And I can respect that. Just don't throw my opinion down the well just because you disagree.
Never said you were wrong or insulted you or your opinion. Merely pointed out we play the defense our head coach wants. And that defense he wants doesn't make it bad if it differs from any of our opinions. Doesn't make the coaches bad or wrong. Doesn't make our opinions wrong.

It also doesn't stop some from calling the defense and it's coaches bad or wrong or worse. A d as I've said cou tress times I'm not saying you. We're just having a conversation.

They're just different opions which I'm pretty sure we're all allowed to have, including the team and its coaches.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't this whole blitz thing subjective? The quantity doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. If you have a very good front 4 you don't need to blitz as much.
Yeah it's just one of many stats and doesn't come close to painting a whole picture. It's just one of the things gs people don't like about our D.

Tano

Legend
Never said you were wrong or insulted you or your opinion. Merely pointed out we play the defense our head coach wants. And that defense he wants doesn't make it bad if it differs from any of our opinions. Doesn't make the coaches bad or wrong. Doesn't make our opinions wrong.

It also doesn't stop some from calling the defense and it's coaches bad or wrong or worse. A d as I've said cou tress times I'm not saying you. We're just having a conversation.

They're just different opions which I'm pretty sure we're all allowed to have, including the team and its coaches.
Well I was called wrong by another poster and that was in answer to that poster when I said I was responding to everyone.

Edit - oh btw - I agree 100% with everything you stated. No argument here.

And although I stated in 2022 that I hated the soft zone defense we had, I believe Morris was forced to use that defense for many reasons. I think Morris was a very good DC after seeing what he was able to do with what he has forced to work with player experience wise. Never seen such a huge turnover on defense before that I can recall. Of course, I don't follow other teams that closely when it comes to player turnover.

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I tell you what --- when I get home I will break down the number of blitzes and the success rates ... I don't know what the results will be .. I cannot do it now do not have my password for stathead on this computer but we can see if blitzing on 3rd and 10+ (will have to be 3rd and 11) helps teams that do it more ...

and we can ALL learn more on the subject ... fair enough?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Being wrong is how we all learn. I shared the story about how I was wrong about Steelers defense and how John Mitchell set me straight. But to learn I had to accept what he said ... I knew I was not in possession of the facts. He was. I was going by my own opinion and it turned out my opinion was based on lack of information.

It's what happens to all of us at times.

If I held to the opinion that Steelers were two-gapping when they were not and their coach said they were not, it would have become more than just an ill-informed opinion -- it would have become cognitive dissonance.

That can lead to extra frustration as well as the intial failures of the defense that cause you to get upset.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Tissue?

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN
Thats all you got ? Another lame gif ?
So, you must # 2. The 14 year old in their moms basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.