Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Well I agree that Morris strategy was bad against the 49ners.... up until then the defense had been improving.

Our zone coverage against the 49ners was especially lacking.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
A 7-3 team is not gonna fire the defensive coordinator mid season. Morris might end up being our achilles heel. But there isn't anything we can do about it. Just hope the players can execute in spite of him. That might not be an optimistic outlook but its all we got.
That is a deceiving 7-3. 3 games against 3 of the 4 worst teams in the NFL. Only quality win against TB.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
A 7-3 team is not gonna fire the defensive coordinator mid season. Morris might end up being our achilles heel. But there isn't anything we can do about it. Just hope the players can execute in spite of him. That might not be an optimistic outlook but its all we got.
Yes but there is a reason McVay didn't say much after the game. McVay is going to have a very uncomfortable conversation with Stan Kroenke sometime today. Kroenke is patient but he is no fool. He sees the same stuff we do. He will expect some serious answers. We'll see what they are.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That is a deceiving 7-3. 3 games against 3 of the 4 worst teams in the NFL. Only quality win against TB.
Doesn't matter how they got to 7 wins. Firing a defensive coordinator mid season at 7-3 would be viewed as knee jerk and desperate. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not saying I don't want a change there. I'm saying I don't think they will fire him until after the season. It doesn't matter what the fans want.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Do you think McVay isn’t heavily involved in the construction and game planning for the defense?
I’ve seen you and others ask this question repeatedly as if you have some inside track on the answer to it. My answer? If he is as heavily involved as your questions seems to imply, maybe he should stick to offense. I doubt he had much say in Staley’s defense, and Wade’s defense, why would he have such a grand saying in Morris’? Because he’s a shit DC who needs the hand holding? If so, that’s all the proof we need that he was a shit hire.

How much involvement do you think Bill B had in the offense when Brady was running it and McDaniels was calling it? If your answer if “heavily involved” I think you’re sorely mistaken.

But I could be completely wrong, right?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ve seen you and others ask this question repeatedly as if you have some inside track on the answer to it. My answer? If he is as heavily involved as your questions seems to imply, maybe he should stick to offense. I doubt he had much say in Staley’s defense, and Wade’s defense, why would he have such a grand saying in Morris’? Because he’s a shit DC who needs the hand holding? If so, that’s all the proof we need that he was a shit hire.

How much involvement do you think Bill B had in the offense when Brady was running it and McDaniels was calling it? If your answer if “heavily involved” I think you’re sorely mistaken.

But I could be completely wrong, right?
Oh, when it comes to BB?!??

I couldn’t disagree with you more. He’s HEAVILY involved.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter how they got to 7 wins. Firing a defensive coordinator mid season at 7-3 would be viewed as knee jerk and desperate. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not saying I don't want a change there. I'm saying I don't think they will fire him until after the season. It doesn't matter what the fans want.
It's obvious they went all in this year, with grabbing Von and OBJ. I don't think they would fire Morris, but if McVay and Snead think they have a better guy, I think they'd do it. As irrational as I think it may be.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Exactly. I'm not the biggest fan of Morris, but it's difficult to play defense when your offense not only spots the opposing team 14 and 7 points, but can't score themselves.
Or on the flip side, when your team is up 14 out of the gate, there isn’t a pressing need to get really creative on offense if your defense is already giving the opposing team fits. Yeah our defense held them to sub 200 yards, but they scored 28 points. Enough to win most games.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Oh, when it comes to BB?!??

I couldn’t disagree with you more. He’s HEAVILY involved.
What makes you so sure that McVay is so heavily involved in Morris’ defense? Or special teams for that matter. Both units are bottom of the barrel. If he’s so heavily involved in either and this is what we’re getting out of it, he hasn’t hired the right staff for the job.

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
No it's more like he's agreeing with me.

But what this shows is that if people like me and a clueless reporter can see it what do the opposing OC's see? TN and the Niners dismantled Morris' scheme and he had no answer. He couldn't adjust any more than McVay.

John Pagano at one time was an assistant to Wade Phillips and his job was to make adjustments for the second half. I watched the Chargers play a completely dysfunctional 1st half only to implement Pagano's adjustments and completely dominate the second half. Not just once but almost routinely his adjustments allowed the Chargers to get back into games. They may not have won them all but they showed they could be a competitive team. Their problem was poor talent. I can only imagine how good this defense would be with a DC who knew how to use the players he has.

This is why I'm frustrated watching Morris bumble away games by not using the talent properly. Staley got more with basically this same roster. This defense totally sucks and doesn't even pass the casual viewer eye test.
Excellent post sir.. send it in!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What makes you so sure that McVay is so heavily involved in Morris’ defense? Or special teams for that matter. Both units are bottom of the barrel. If he’s so heavily involved in either and this is what we’re getting out of it, he hasn’t hired the right staff for the job.
I was pointing to the BB reference.
As for the others?
I didn’t say STs.. but something is wrong, big picture, that is seeping into that. And the fake FG I only blame him for.
The defense? He brought in Morris to run the defense that was in place. So, conceptually, his hands are all over the D.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I was pointing to the BB reference.
As for the others?
I didn’t say STs.. but something is wrong, big picture, that is seeping into that. And the fake FG I only blame him for.
The defense? He brought in Morris to run the defense that was in place. So, conceptually, his hands are all over the D.
I don’t think this defense is anywhere near the defense we had last year. Players, sure. But the scheme is nothing like Staley ran. If we had kept what Staley was doing, I think you’d see a lot less of us complaining. But this is a shell of what that system was last year. There’s equal blame to go around, but Morris is going to go - and rightfully so - before McVay. Maybe his next hire will be someone who knows how to run and call a defense on their own so he can focus on the team’s other needs.

Ramsey was yelling at Morris on the sidelines. He plays on the defense, he’s in the meetings. I’ll take his issue with Morris as a sign that there’s an issue with Morros and the way he’s calling this defense. I didn’t see McVay there talking Ramsey off the ledge and he couldn’t because it’s more important to him to play OC than manage the team from top down on the sidelines.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don’t think this defense is anywhere near the defense we had last year. Players, sure. But the scheme is nothing like Staley ran. If we had kept what Staley was doing, I think you’d see a lot less of us complaining. But this is a shell of what that system was last year. There’s equal blame to go around, but Morris is going to go - and rightfully so - before McVay. Maybe his next hire will be someone who knows how to run and call a defense on their own so he can focus on the team’s other needs.

Ramsey was yelling at Morris on the sidelines. He plays on the defense, he’s in the meetings. I’ll take his issue with Morris as a sign that there’s an issue with Morros and the way he’s calling this defense. I didn’t see McVay there talking Ramsey off the ledge and he couldn’t because it’s more important to him to play OC than manage the team from top down on the sidelines.
Offenses adjust.
Have you seen what's going on with the Chargers?

We know what Ramsey was yelling? You're making a HUUUUUUGE assumption about what that was about, imo. He didn't have to get pulled off Morris and Morris kept talking to him.

Maybe he was pissed about teammates execution.. maybe he was pissed about play call.. I don't know.

I know that he LOVED the idea of playing the star before the season started.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't support his scheme, but I like Morris and doubt that he gets fired, at least during the season. More likely he will be instructed
to play a different defense, and if he refuses he may then "resign" and be replaced.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With both the Titans and the 9ers, the yards are deceptive.

The 9ers had TWO drives in the first half of 90+ yards. They dominated the TOP.

When a team goes off running, they maybe get 200+ yards. When a team goes off passing, it's generally 400+.

Plus, teams can both throw for 400 yards... it's a time thing. But almost NEVER will you see two teams run for 200+ yards.

So if a team runs for 200+ yards, they're almost guaranteed to win.

Based on that, you'd expect more teams to run, but passing is so much more efficient.

however, in the ebb and flow of the NFL copycat league, it's the teams that go against the flow that sometimes bust out...

The NFL will remain a passing league, but smash mouth teams will occasionally bust out as they exploit defensive weaknesses. The way to address that is to be able to stop the run and commit to it. Typically, heavy run teams do not have a QB that they can rely on to win games of their own accord.

McVay and coaching staff seems to have missed this and it has to be a blind spot because he just can't seem to see the elephant in the room.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some of ya'll who only show up here for losses need to step up your troll game.
200.webp