Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I don't understand on obvious 3rd down passing plays for the niners why Ramsey isn't on Samuel

Ah...that's because we would be doing EXACTLY what they expect us to do...put our best man on one of their best men. We can't be allowing them to dictate what we do with our STAR in our defensive system now can we?

It's pretty simple from my perspective. Put Jalen on Deebo and double Kittle...that's it. But no...we had to have Ramsey blitz and cover their 4th best wideout and let Rochelle cover Deebo. What kind of stupidity is going on with this DC?

I think one of the main problems with this team in general is that even though they spout the "WE" all the time...they are constantly hunting for stats for their star players. Look at how many times we tried passing for a TD down in the red zone when we didn't even try running it in. Why? Was it because we had to pump up Stafford's TD numbers? I can't think of any other reason.

I can just see Morris saying if we cover Deebo with Ramsey and double Kittle...then we are playing right into their hands because that's what they expect us to do. We can't do that because they might have something else in their mystery box that they might use. Better to get killed by the thing you know than the one you don't :hot:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We were bad on both sides of the ball last night. It was the O no it was the D both arguments are fair it is a symbiotic relationship and neither side did their part to keep the balance.

McVay to me is a great motivator/manager but maybe not the innovator he has been labeled. We seem to often have difficulty countering and adjusting to DC's with an effective game plan. We don't play from behind well as a general rule.

What Morris is doing doesn't seem to be complimentary of our players skill sets.

We need a real soul searching and maybe the addition of another bright mind. Sean seems to do well as a manager but is best when he has somebody in the room as bright or brighter with more experience. These are the growing pains of a young coach that hasn't yet filled his play book with effective counter punches

Get rid of the OC too, he flatly refuses to run the ball and seems to want to show off his new toys. And for the 2nd week has got down big in the first half and been basically shut down. This offense looks a lot like it did when Goff was here.

I said to my son just before the game that Stafford was going to throw an INT when trying to force the ball to OBJ because he wanted to follow the narrative of " Look at us...look how smart we are...look how all the talented players want to come play here" mantra. You just knew it was going to happen. It was about as predictable as SF converting 3rd and long...I made $1000 imaginary bets everytime they were in that situation that SF would get a 1st down and would have won a lot of money.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Our secondary is shit. Morris is forced to play #31 &22 the QB see these two CB as a easy 5-7yard play. Reeder sucks ass and is also being exposed. Scott in dime packages also is a treat for QBs to see on the field. That’s a 1/4 of the Def personnel.

Add our installed game plan this week was fucked on Friday when Woods went down for the year.

Two weeks ago we lost #4-5-6 WRs and we were forced to added practice squad type talant. Munt also lost for the season.
Then Woods goes down.

So no Woods, Munt, Turd-TuTu, djax, Harris.

OL: Edwards hasn’t been good the last few weeks either and I suspect we will need to replace him next season.

So going into MNF the passing options are:

Kupp Jeff Skol Higbee OBJ Hendo

So an okay Def can stop that personnel grouping, no?

What I learned is Van Jeff isn’t looking good as a #3 option and Stafford can’t make chicken salad w/ chicken shit

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Funny how today's excuses are the same as the last 4 losses. With new players each year and a new coordinator I wonder what the only common denominator is........hmmmm

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
When a team only has to prep for the pass game and a handful of running plays you'll get last night's result most of the time. It's easy for defenses to gameplan for the Rams right now.

All 11 personnel
80% passing
20% run

Ram65

Legend
Morris, McVay and the Rams get some time to make adjustments. This defense as is will be chopped up by Rodgers and the Packers. Morris needs to change it up. Same with McVay on offense.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The biggest names on any defense and the Rams can't stop a 3-5 offense. Morris is one and done. I'm afraid this season is already over. If the Rams were smart they would be shopping for a new defensive coach and a ST coach now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay had one of his worst games as a HC no doubt and at this point, I wonder if Kyle's in his head now.

Morris from a schematic fit is just wrong for our players.

You weren't here in 2016 when we drafted Goff. I nearly got run off the board telling everyone who would listen that this was gonna be a disaster...NOT because of Goff who I liked as a passer much better than Wentz, but because Fisher was so incompetent hiring OC that they were gonna ruin the kid and Fisher had NEVER developed a pocket passer like Goff. Steve McNair was a "weapon" more than a pocket passer and Kerry Collins was a vet when he got him. Vince Young was basically a giant bust.

I beat the horse dead and then beat the carcass that there was ZERO chance at success for our offense no matter if we had Brady back there. But folks were super excited about the #1 overall draft pick as if that were gonna be enough.

Well, it weren't. Not close. I woulda been more upbeat, but it seemed there was little chance Fisher would get fired. I was shocked when he was.

The issue was the really shitty offensive scheme and I went DEEP into the details about why it was structurally IMPOSSIBLE for it to be successful and it was right and for exactly the right reasons. Hated it to be that way, but I guess it's part of being on the autism spectrum. I see patterns. I can't multitask for shit and I'm overly strident too much, but I see patterns. I won't go into details because my pat response sorta became a running joke, but suffice it to say, I see what I see and then tell y'all.

So when I say that there are STRUCTURAL problems, that should be a red flag to anyone paying attention. When I finally get to that point, I've yet to be wrong.

So scapegoating Morris isn't lame... it's in response to seeing that his scheme is doing what he promised NOT to do which is turn the Staley 3-4 hybrid into a really shitty and acontextual 4-3 hybrid that's maybe the WORST possible defense to go against power running teams. That he REFUSES to change the scheme or the play calls when there is ZERO chance at success means he's never gonna succeed here.

Do Ramsey and AD as leaders let him know? I sure as hell hope so, but without some change, we're only gonna reliably win if we go up and then the Morris 4-3 hybrid only looks kinda mediocre instead of just really bad.
The structurally incompetent defense held Titans under 200 total yards last week.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
didn't you hear? it was goff's fault mcvay lost the first 4 of those.

It's largely Stafford's fault the Rams lost the last two.

And Goff is a really bad QB who absolutely lost the Rams games last year and has nowhere near the upside Stafford does.

McVay has 2 weeks to wake up and figure out what he's doing. Falling in love with "5 out" and dumping under center play action and running the same basic shit over and over and over ain't working.

oldnotdead

Legend
YAWN....I've been saying fire Morris for weeks.

Firing is just the first step. Hiring a truly good DC is a lot harder. Von Miller knows exactly how good John Pagano is. That is the guy I'd want.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
YAWN....I've been saying fire Morris for weeks.

Firing is just the first step. Hiring a truly good DC is a lot harder. Von Miller knows exactly how good John Pagano is. That is the guy I'd want.
I'll ask this again..

Do you think the Rams defensive structures and approach in this game were created without a lot of input from McVay?
Do you think Morris came up with the gameplan on his own?

Because, after hiring a guy he knows and telling him he has to adjust to the defense that the Rams were already running, I don't.

Individual play calls? I guess that's a place we can start to look at Morris more closely.

But, conceptually? Sorry, McVay's fingerprints are all over that.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I said to my son just before the game that Stafford was going to throw an INT when trying to force the ball to OBJ because he wanted to follow the narrative of " Look at us...look how smart we are...look how all the talented players want to come play here" mantra. You just knew it was going to happen. It was about as predictable as SF converting 3rd and long...I made $1000 imaginary bets everytime they were in that situation that SF would get a 1st down and would have won a lot of money.
Really the whole game on some level felt predictable. Not that we would be as bad as were on both sides of the ball, but that we could basically get beat up and our asses kicked again. I thought beforehand that could happen though I didn't want to be negative and predict a loss. I was pissed off but not really surprised at the actual game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Really the whole game on some level felt predictable. Not that we would be as bad as were on both sides of the ball, but that we could basically get beat up and our asses kicked again. I thought beforehand that could happen though I didn't want to be negative and predict a loss. I was pissed off but not really surprised at the actual game.
Strangely enough, I felt exactly the same way.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez Morris' idiotic scheme is so obvious even a mediocre reporter like Cameron DaSilva can see it.

Once again I will say it again. Morris' lack of coverage in the short zone was how AZ beat the Rams. All the Niners had to do was study the Rams loss against AZ. So now everyone can see what I've been saying for weeks. Morris doesn't contest receptions and especially the receptions in the short zone. It has nothing to do with a lack of talent at ILB. Again DaSilva displays his total lack of understanding of the game he covers.

The best way to describe it is how the Niners play zone and how Morris has the Rams playing zone. In Morris' scheme the defenders be it LBs or DBs, simply drop to their zone positions and stand there waiting for the pass and then reacting to it. The result is that they can't stop the reception and the advantage is all on the side of the receiver who simply becomes a ball carrier running for YAC which is why most of the time the first defender misses. The Niners are aggressive. They drop, read and anticipate so they are already on the move when the pass is thrown giving them the advantage as the receiver is focused on the ball not evading the defender.

Only Ramsey continues to play it like he did with Staley. Once the receiver enters his zone he plasters the receiver, i.e. covers him in tight man coverage technique. For Godsake the DBs already know how to play it that way because they were very good at it last year. I've said it all season, that Morris leaves the short zone basically undefended. It's not the personnel it's how Morris is having them play. That is what the problem is.

Look there are basically 3 ways to play zone coverage. Morris' passive don't contest the reception style. The drop, read, anticipate style that the Niners use. Or the aggressive zone/man style employed by Staley. The zone only dictates who the DB covers. After the receiver enters that zone the DB is in man coverage on him. Guess what is the worst.

This is why Morris doesn't care about stats. He assumes that the QB or receiver will make a mistake. But if they don't they score!!

FIRE MORRIS!!!

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The structurally incompetent defense held Titans under 200 total yards last week.

Exactly. I'm not the biggest fan of Morris, but it's difficult to play defense when your offense not only spots the opposing team 14 and 7 points, but can't score themselves.

oldnotdead

Legend
No it's more like he's agreeing with me.

But what this shows is that if people like me and a clueless reporter can see it what do the opposing OC's see? TN and the Niners dismantled Morris' scheme and he had no answer. He couldn't adjust any more than McVay.

John Pagano at one time was an assistant to Wade Phillips and his job was to make adjustments for the second half. I watched the Chargers play a completely dysfunctional 1st half only to implement Pagano's adjustments and completely dominate the second half. Not just once but almost routinely his adjustments allowed the Chargers to get back into games. They may not have won them all but they showed they could be a competitive team. Their problem was poor talent. I can only imagine how good this defense would be with a DC who knew how to use the players he has.

This is why I'm frustrated watching Morris bumble away games by not using the talent properly. Staley got more with basically this same roster. This defense totally sucks and doesn't even pass the casual viewer eye test.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No it's more like he's agreeing with me.

But what this shows is that if people like me and a clueless reporter can see it what do the opposing OC's see? TN and the Niners dismantled Morris' scheme and he had no answer. He couldn't adjust any more than McVay.

John Pagano at one time was an assistant to Wade Phillips and his job was to make adjustments for the second half. I watched the Chargers play a completely dysfunctional 1st half only to implement Pagano's adjustments and completely dominate the second half. Not just once but almost routinely his adjustments allowed the Chargers to get back into games. They may not have won them all but they showed they could be a competitive team. Their problem was poor talent. I can only imagine how good this defense would be with a DC who knew how to use the players he has.

This is why I'm frustrated watching Morris bumble away games by not using the talent properly. Staley got more with basically this same roster. This defense totally sucks and doesn't even pass the casual viewer eye test.
Do you think McVay isn’t heavily involved in the construction and game planning for the defense?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A 7-3 team is not gonna fire the defensive coordinator mid season. Morris might end up being our achilles heel. But there isn't anything we can do about it. Just hope the players can execute in spite of him. That might not be an optimistic outlook but its all we got.