Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay and his chosen QB need to shoulder a LOT of the blame too.
However you slice it, the construction of this team (offense and defense) is simply not right. Shit happens. They rolled the dice. It didn't work.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No you don't.

You fire Morris because he in a not so smart fashion kept putting 2 down linemen and 2 OLBs in a rush formation with the OLBs out fucking WIDE while Kyle's running with 22 personnel and smashing the A and B gaps.

Other than a few times, he stuck with that and it never worked. Kyle kept running the same plays on us and as long as he ran away from AD, he kept being successful. We couldn't just switch sides with AD because they'd just (and did) audible to the other side.

I'm shocked they didn't break a few really big runs and drop a 50 burger on us.

If McVay doesn't have a heart to heart with Morris who keeps trying to turn this D into a shitty 4-3, then I dunno what comes after that... because we have 3 HoFers on our D and Ramsey's gonna lead the charge with AD in tow at the very least and fracture the defensive cohesion. When players don't respect the coach, it's over for the coach and I think Morris is very much in danger of losing this defense.

I don't think it's over because of these two games, but if we do the same shit in GB and don't change anything, I think the defense will want him gone and it'll be a massive distraction for this team.

Morris HAS to get his ass right. He just has to. We don't have any choice that allows us to win the Super Bowl which is still the goal.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No you don't.

You fire Morris because he in a not so smart fashion kept putting 2 down linemen and 2 OLBs in a rush formation with the OLBs out fucking WIDE while Kyle's running with 22 personnel and smashing the A and B gaps.

Other than a few times, he stuck with that and it never worked. Kyle kept running the same plays on us and as long as he ran away from AD, he kept being successful. We couldn't just switch sides with AD because they'd just (and did) audible to the other side.

If McVay doesn't have a heart to heart with Morris who keeps trying to turn this D into a shitty 4-3, then I dunno what comes after that... because we have 3 HoFers on our D and Ramsey's gonna lead the charge with AD in tow at the very least and fracture the defensive cohesion. When players don't respect the coach, it's over for the coach and I think Morris is very much in danger of losing this defense.

I don't think it's over because of these two games, but if we do the same shit in GB and don't change anything, I think the defense will want him gone and it'll be a massive distraction for this team.

Morris HAS to get his ass right. He just has to. We don't have any choice that allows us to win the Super Bowl which is still the goal.
2 things..

McVay hired him to run an offense he hadn’t run before. Buck stops there.

Second.. the OFFENSE cost them the last 2 games.

5 wide?
No run game?
Fake FG?
Fired.

Scapegoating Morris is just lame.

TexasRam

Legend
The defensive scheme is not as aggressive as Staley's defense. We used to man up and let the pass rushers get after the QB in 3rd and long.

Not sure if anyone noticed but Kittle was given a free release on 3rd downs and they converted to him like 5 times.
I noticed. It’s fricken maddening.

Man the hell up and disrupt routes for Pete’s sake.

Put Ramsey on Deebo and double Kittle. What’s so dam hard about this.

Hell she’s the kitchen sink like Miami and man up. I don’t care. This soft zone is bullshit and losing games with freebie 3rd down conversions.

The fact that they pay these idiots money to run these power puff schemes is beyond me.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay has lost to the 9ers 5 in a row and this is his defense that he picked Morris to come in and adapt to.

Do you guys really think McVay didn’t have huge input into the defensive approach?

Come on.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
2 things..

McVay hired him to run an offense he hadn’t run before. Buck stops there.

Second.. the OFFENSE cost them the last 2 games.

5 wide?
No run game?
Fake FG?
Fired.

Scapegoating Morris is just lame.

McVay had one of his worst games as a HC no doubt and at this point, I wonder if Kyle's in his head now.

Morris from a schematic fit is just wrong for our players.

You weren't here in 2016 when we drafted Goff. I nearly got run off the board telling everyone who would listen that this was gonna be a disaster...NOT because of Goff who I liked as a passer much better than Wentz, but because Fisher was so incompetent hiring OC that they were gonna ruin the kid and Fisher had NEVER developed a pocket passer like Goff. Steve McNair was a "weapon" more than a pocket passer and Kerry Collins was a vet when he got him. Vince Young was basically a giant bust.

I beat the horse dead and then beat the carcass that there was ZERO chance at success for our offense no matter if we had Brady back there. But folks were super excited about the #1 overall draft pick as if that were gonna be enough.

Well, it weren't. Not close. I woulda been more upbeat, but it seemed there was little chance Fisher would get fired. I was shocked when he was.

The issue was the really shitty offensive scheme and I went DEEP into the details about why it was structurally IMPOSSIBLE for it to be successful and it was right and for exactly the right reasons. Hated it to be that way, but I guess it's part of being on the autism spectrum. I see patterns. I can't multitask for shit and I'm overly strident too much, but I see patterns. I won't go into details because my pat response sorta became a running joke, but suffice it to say, I see what I see and then tell y'all.

So when I say that there are STRUCTURAL problems, that should be a red flag to anyone paying attention. When I finally get to that point, I've yet to be wrong.

So scapegoating Morris isn't lame... it's in response to seeing that his scheme is doing what he promised NOT to do which is turn the Staley 3-4 hybrid into a really shitty and acontextual 4-3 hybrid that's maybe the WORST possible defense to go against power running teams. That he REFUSES to change the scheme or the play calls when there is ZERO chance at success means he's never gonna succeed here.

Do Ramsey and AD as leaders let him know? I sure as hell hope so, but without some change, we're only gonna reliably win if we go up and then the Morris 4-3 hybrid only looks kinda mediocre instead of just really bad.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defensive scheme is not as aggressive as Staley's defense. We used to man up and let the pass rushers get after the QB in 3rd and long.

Not sure if anyone noticed but Kittle was given a free release on 3rd downs and they converted to him like 5 times.

it was actually sickening to watch. they showed the head on for one of them and all he did was run in a straight line for 5 yards then turn around and catch the ball. no defender was within cooee of him. how the fuck does this happen? do the coaches not see that kittle or samuel will be getting the ball on 3rd downs?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has lost to the 9ers 5 in a row and this is his defense that he picked Morris to come in and adapt to.

Do you guys really think McVay didn’t have huge input into the defensive approach?

Come on.

didn't you hear? it was goff's fault mcvay lost the first 4 of those.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't have the stomach to endure more Goff victimization mixed in with the shit we gotta endure right now tbh. Why don't you bump the fucking Goff thread of which there are many to choose from and have at it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have the stomach to endure more Goff victimization mixed in with the shit we gotta endure right now tbh. Why don't you bump the fucking Goff thread of which there are many to choose from and have at it.

Mate, it's got nothing to do with goff victimisation. It's got everything to do with people who thought all the Rams problems would go away with the change at qb.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Get rid of the OC too, he flatly refuses to run the ball and seems to want to show off his new toys. And for the 2nd week has got down big in the first half and been basically shut down. This offense looks a lot like it did when Goff was here.

Tano

Legend
I don't think we "necessarily" need to fire Morris. I think McVay needs to sit down with Morris and go over his scheme and why it is not working with the talent we have. But unfortunately, I don't think McVay will do that. And that is the issue this year. I think McVay is too close of friends with Morris to chew him out over his scheme.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LMAO - can’t wait until another 3 years & hearing all the Cat Calls.
Love me some Raheem Morris.

I also see a Rams player nobody’s talking about have a good 2nd half of the season. Coach Henderson is excellent,& I’ve got to believe he will get things right up front.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Mate, it's got nothing to do with goff victimisation. It's got everything to do with people who thought all the Rams problems would go away with the change at qb.

It's about what @kurtfaulk said. It's not to victimize anybody or rehash the debate over who is better. The trade is done and the ship has sailed.

What it is about is accountability. Many in Rams Nation assured us that changing the QB would prevent us from losing games like this, and #1 among those assuring us was McVay himself. He's the one that was non-committal to the last guy after we lost in the playoffs; he's the one that lobbied hard to make the trade even if it also cost us two first round picks that could be used for other trades or actual draft picks. He wanted his guy and he got his guy, with the implicit promise that we would be a much better team because of it.

But you are who your record says you are, and we are at the same point 10 games into this season as we were last season, with the last two losses looking frighteningly like two losses we had last year. The Titans loss looked very similar to our loss in Miami last year, with bad QB play and a head coach that was too stubborn to adjust and too stubborn to run the ball when it was there for the taking and when it would have slowed down the pass rush. The loss to the 9ers last night looked like a much worse version our two losses to them last year, with the opponents doing the same things to us they have done several games in a row now and our head coach stubbornly insisting on doing the same things he has done in losing those contests. We changed the QB - which he implicitly (but strongly) insisted would get different results - and we got the same results.

During the furious debates on this board last year in which former QB1 was the lightning rod for criticism and took the lion's share of the blame (pardon the pun) for our problems, there were many of us wanting to point out the coach's role in those problems. But few in Rams Nation wanted to hear it. Chief among those appear to be McVay himself, as the fact that he's still making the same mistakes that were pointed out last year speaks far louder than any of his thus far empty "I've got to do better" proclamations. It's glaringly obvious and utterly undeniable now that there were problems with last year's offense that went beyond who was taking snaps, because those same problems have reared their ugly heads in three very ugly losses this season.

There is nowhere to hide now, and he can no longer transfer accountability to the old QB1 when we are losing games in the same way with the new QB1. He clearly hasn't absorbed the lessons from the last few seasons, and if he was going to have a theme song for the present, then it should be this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sqiazeu7MI

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
No you don't.

I know that it doesn't fit their scheme but it makes you wonder why they don't try AD at middle LB sometimes so that they can't run away from him?
I'd really like to see what a really smart DC could do with AD just once while he is still playing.

Ellard80

Legend
morris was bad last night... but we had the same problem last year with a diff D coordinator.

So it seems to be a combination of scheme and match-ups.

We seem to be sticking to the idea that we will not give up the big plays - but this strategy is failing against the 49ners.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hell she’s the kitchen sink like Miami and man up. I don’t care. This soft zone is bullshit and losing games with freebie 3rd down conversions.

That's one of the most frustrating things. Last year when we had an opponent in a 3rd down situation, I always had a lot of confidence that we would stop them from converting. This year I have no confidence that we will stop them and end up hoping they will execute poorly and stop themselves. And the biggest culprit is the soft zone bullshit.