Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offense did suck but I still think our defense had the players to get more turnovers and sacks in the first 11 games before Donald got injured to help the offense out.
You're absolutely right with losing Von Miller and not replacing him we still had the players to get more sacks.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
And yet our offense that couldn't sustain drives matched those offenses that we couldn't get off the field. The logic is astounding when presented with those numbers.
This isn't a thread about the offense though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if morris comes back i think i will only watch the offense next season. can't handle another season of making back up qbs look like hofers. they even made that old fuck brady look good on the last drive of the game. disgusting.

if mcvay doesn't get his head out of his arse and the offense looks as pitiful as it did this season i guess i won't be watching any part of any games.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Our D allowed 35 TDs last year and 30 FGs
Our D allowed 35 TDs this year and 36 FGs

I don't think 6 FGs is enough to go from 12-5 to 5-12.
And opponents averaged 2:57 TOP per drive last year and 3:00 this year. It wasn't about the "long time consuming drives our defense allowed" that made the difference.
Yeah well I didn't like it last year either. It isn't like my opinion changed because we had a bad record. There were a lot of close games last year. Some against inferior teams where it came down to the last drive. Like Detroit for example. took an interception in the endzone to win. They could be blow outs if we didn't let the other teams offense hold the ball for so many plays. The d needs to be way better. The offense needs to get healthy. If he is our DC next year, and I am resigned to that, it will be the same infuriating D that lets the opponent get easy 1st downs from soft zones all the way to the red zone. Oh and we will loose 2 games to SF.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You're absolutely right with losing Von Miller and not replacing him we still had the players to get more sacks.
There is no doubt that this D had some deficiencies compared to last year, but how about the year before. The D lost a good safety and Hill and Fox and went from the number 1 D the year before to a mediocre D. Fox and Hill were replaceable. Can't think of the Safety's name, but that was more difficult to replace. Still #1 to middle of the pack with basically the same D. The fact that now we compare last year to this and say he was good enough amazes me. The over all picture on Morris is, as a DC, he is Eh.

Tano

Legend
I hope you don't think I am comparing 2021 with 2022

I just think if we played more aggressively in the first 11 games we would have had way more sacks and turnovers that we actually did

For 8 games we had 1 turnover - that is just unacceptable

And I still can't believe Donald had free reign to Crapola and Crapola was able to throw a ball in the vicinity of a receiver because the closest Ram to the receiver was 5 yards back of the receiver.

That's just unacceptable too.

Tano

Legend
Plus the fact that opposing QBs got the ball off in 2.3 seconds (.5 seconds faster than the next fastest team) in the first 8 games still tells the fact there was no way in heck our DL was going to get to a QB before the QB got rid of the ball.

Just completely unacceptable.

If we could have gotten some timely sacks or turnovers, maybe our offense could have been a little better instead of starting (I swear) inside the 25 up to 3/4 of the drives.

Can someone find a stat to find out how often we were inside the 30 yard line?

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Oh and we didn't have miller when the D was the Number 1 Defense in the League. Morris was a pretty good DC though when he had 2 of the best Pass rushers in the history of the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
19th in passer rating against. That's what chaps my hide. This is a QB driven league. You cannot spot opposing QBs an average of 90.8 in passer rating. Not if you want to win games.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will be surprised if McVay keeps Morris this year. Only because the guy turns over assistant coaches more than any other coach I've ever seen. I was shocked when he let Wade Philips go after his contract ended. And how many people would take Wade over Raheem? I know I would. That's why I don't think Morris returns.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There is no doubt that this D had some deficiencies compared to last year, but how about the year before. The D lost a good safety and Hill and Fox and went from the number 1 D the year before to a mediocre D. Fox and Hill were replaceable. Can't think of the Safety's name, but that was more difficult to replace. Still #1 to middle of the pack with basically the same D. The fact that now we compare last year to this and say he was good enough amazes me. The over all picture on Morris is, as a DC, he is Eh.
2020? Now that's a different animal.

We had the #1 D but Goff was the problem. If only he had played better, the D wouldn't have given up 23 to the 0 for 2020 Jets or 34 to Green Bay in the playoffs!!

The year before that the OL was the problem!! If our OL was better the D wouldn't have given up two 3rd and 16's on the same game winning drive to SF!!

The year before that we went to the SB but Goff sucked. The D played great. McVay wasn't outcoached by Belichick with that 6 man front.

Here's the rub. I don't care if Morris goes or stays. In fact I'd rather watch an aggressive D. And if he left, fans would have to look elsewhere to lay their blame. But the D had very similar numbers in 2021 and 2022 yet our record was the complete opposite. Is it fun to watch? No. Is the reason we were 5-12? No. Not even close.

*****In an answer to the question somebody asked......"can somebody find how many times the offense started inside the 30", I couldn't. What I did find was our average start was the 26.6 yard line. Exactly the same as Miami and Las Vegas. But the Rams O averaged 1.71 pts per drive while Miami's O averaged 2.13 and Las Vegas 2.18. The difference, over the course of a season, is more than 10 TDs (73). Plenty of points to win those 4 games we lost by 7 or less.

Throw in another 4 TDs from pick 6's (2), a fumble return TD and a punt block TD and that's a difference of 101 points.

Yeah, the defense was the root of our problem.

It was their fault:

Our offense had 54 three and outs that ended in a punt or turnover (of 176 poss; 31%); plus another 7 of 4 plays.
25 other offenses scored more TDs that the Rams O (31)
Our special teams were #24 in PR and #28 in KR.
Our offense was #18 in 3rd down percentage.
Our offense was #15 in RZ TD%.
We had a 4.0 ypc (#28).
We had 14 different OL combinations and used 12 different starters (IIRC, the most in history)
We had 4 different starting QBs.

Morris has to go!!! We'll never win another SB with him as DC!!! Unless we happen to reacquire the most impactful defensive player in NFL history, Von Miller! How many times has he won DPOY Award?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We just need better luck at health, improve our o-line play, get some pass rushers, and mix up our D a bit more. If we do all that, we'll be okay.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We just need better luck at health, improve our o-line play, get some pass rushers, and mix up our D a bit more. If we do all that, we'll be okay.
Yeah - ok.

IMO The Rams are ok,yes they must continue to improve for sure.The Ram Fans that want to question this 2023 can just for the fact we don’t know who will
on the roster from within the departures.The 2022 season technically is not over yet,even though The Rams have been out of it for over a month.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
2020? Now that's a different animal.

We had the #1 D but Goff was the problem. If only he had played better, the D wouldn't have given up 23 to the 0 for 2020 Jets or 34 to Green Bay in the playoffs!!

The year before that the OL was the problem!! If our OL was better the D wouldn't have given up two 3rd and 16's on the same game winning drive to SF!!

The year before that we went to the SB but Goff sucked. The D played great. McVay wasn't outcoached by Belichick with that 6 man front.

Here's the rub. I don't care if Morris goes or stays. In fact I'd rather watch an aggressive D. And if he left, fans would have to look elsewhere to lay their blame. But the D had very similar numbers in 2021 and 2022 yet our record was the complete opposite. Is it fun to watch? No. Is the reason we were 5-12? No. Not even close.

*****In an answer to the question somebody asked......"can somebody find how many times the offense started inside the 30", I couldn't. What I did find was our average start was the 26.6 yard line. Exactly the same as Miami and Las Vegas. But the Rams O averaged 1.71 pts per drive while Miami's O averaged 2.13 and Las Vegas 2.18. The difference, over the course of a season, is more than 10 TDs (73). Plenty of points to win those 4 games we lost by 7 or less.

Throw in another 4 TDs from pick 6's (2), a fumble return TD and a punt block TD and that's a difference of 101 points.

Yeah, the defense was the root of our problem.

It was their fault:

Our offense had 54 three and outs that ended in a punt or turnover (of 176 poss; 31%); plus another 7 of 4 plays.
25 other offenses scored more TDs that the Rams O (31)
Our special teams were #24 in PR and #28 in KR.
Our offense was #18 in 3rd down percentage.
Our offense was #15 in RZ TD%.
We had a 4.0 ypc (#28).
We had 14 different OL combinations and used 12 different starters (IIRC, the most in history)
We had 4 different starting QBs.

Morris has to go!!! We'll never win another SB with him as DC!!! Unless we happen to reacquire the most impactful defensive player in NFL history, Von Miller! How many times has he won DPOY Award?
I am not blaming him for the teams performance. That is just the argument that keeps getting made because the fact is there really isn't a defense for taking a #1 D and making it middle of the pack. As you know, Goff put that D in bad situations and they still were #1.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I will be surprised if McVay keeps Morris this year. Only because the guy turns over assistant coaches more than any other coach I've ever seen. I was shocked when he let Wade Philips go after his contract ended. And how many people would take Wade over Raheem? I know I would. That's why I don't think Morris returns.
What concerns me is the friend element. They are great friends with a ton of respect going on. So that may buy Morris a year two that most other guys would not get from McVay. Also I have to say that winning the Super Bowl factors in as well of course. Personally I don't like the way our secondary was playing behind the rush, the problems that arose this season were there during the Super Bowl run but the rush prevented them from costing us games.

So if he keeps Raheem around he must invest in the secondary to give him a crew that can improve the QB rating against. We must be tough to play against for signal callers.

Well for that matter the investment must happen regardless of course. But the question here is going to come down to style of defense and whether that's something McVay is happy with. Because the secondary will be restacked based on the whims of our 2023 DC, whoever that is.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am not blaming him for the teams performance. That is just the argument that keeps getting made because the fact is there really isn't a defense for taking a #1 D and making it middle of the pack. As you know, Goff put that D in bad situations and they still were #1.
Sure he is being blamed........

"well if the D didn't allow those long time consuming drives, the offense would have more chances to score"

(Reality).... the offense would have had worse numbers.

"well if the D would have taken the ball away more, our offense would have had shorter fields more often"

(Reality)......Matt Gay would have had more field goals

And then even when the defense won a game, Morris was still blamed..

"Like Detroit for example. took an interception in the endzone to win. They could be blow outs if we didn't let the other teams offense hold the ball for so many plays."

To quote Herman Edwards (sorta)...."they won the fucking game!!!" Or more accurately..."The DEFENSE won the fucking game."

But what is being said is, 'it took a great stand by the D to pressure Goff and pick him off'. Da!!!! Do we get two 'W's' for blowouts?

"That is just the argument that keeps getting made because the fact is there really isn't a defense for taking a #1 D and making it middle of the pack. As you know, Goff put that D in bad situations and they still were #1."

And yet, with a lesser defense, the Rams won the damn Superbowl! Here's a thought....Maybe when our defense was #1, they got a lot of help from the offense!!!????

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
"well if the D would have taken the ball away more, our offense would have had shorter fields more often"

(Reality)......Matt Gay would have had more field goals
We lost some games where a FG would have won it for us

TB and Seattle come readily to mind

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We lost some games where a FG would have won it for us

TB and Seattle come readily to mind
Yes that Tampa game is a great example!!

In the first half, we had 6 possessions. On our third possession we scored a TD on a 8 play, 86 yard drive. The other 5 possessions? Four 3 and outs gaining 10 yards total and a 6 play 'drive' that gained 5 yards. What was our defense and ST doing at the time? 6 possessions against, three 3 and outs, two field goals and a blocked FG. Despite our offense's pitiful first half performance we led 7-6 at the half.

So what happens after the halftime break? Well McVay got into their asses and they came out firing. 6 possessions, four 3 and outs and 2 FGs. We got to the Tampa 8 before settling for a FG and the other FG came as a result of our D stopping Tampa on a 4th down try at their 47 and our offense stringing together 6 plays to get to the Tampa 16.

Had our lousy offense managed to score a 2nd TD instead of a FG in those other 9 possessions after our first TD, Tommy could have taken them down for 7 just to tie!!!

Yeah, I can see how it comes down to a FG because of our D but our offense shat the bed, the loveseat, the couch and the lazy boy over and over and over. We had the ball 12 times (not counting the possession before the half with 0:24 left or the one at the end of the game with 0:09 remaining) and we went 3 and out 8 freaking times!!! Other than the 86 yard TD in the 2nd quarter, we had 11 possessions, ran 47 plays and gained a whopping 109 yards!!! Thank god the defense gave us the ball at their 47 or we would have only scored 10 points all day!!!!

What actually being asked of the defense is, stop the other team and score some points because if we have to rely on just our offense to put points up, we're gonna be 5-12!!!! :biggrin: They scored 8 less offensive TDs (in 17 games) than the offense, who got blamed for our 2020 failures with a #1 D!!!

It's always something!

Last edited:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Yes that Tampa game is a great example!!

In the first half, we had 6 possessions. On our third possession we scored a TD on a 8 play, 86 yard drive. The other 5 possessions? Four 3 and outs gaining 10 yards total and a 6 play 'drive' that gained 5 yards. What was our defense and ST doing at the time? 6 possessions against, three 3 and outs, two field goals and a blocked FG. Despite our offense's pitiful first half performance we led 7-6 at the half.

So what happens after the halftime break? Well McVay got into their asses and they came out firing. 6 possessions, four 3 and outs and 2 FGs. We got to the Tampa 8 before settling for a FG and the other FG came as a result of our D stopping Tampa on a 4th down try at their 47 and our offense stringing together 6 plays to get to the Tampa 16.

Had our lousy offense managed to score a 2nd TD instead of a FG in those other 9 possessions after our first TD, Tommy could have taken them down for 7 just to tie!!!

Yeah, I can see how it comes down to a FG D but our offense shat the bed, the loveseat, the couch and the lazy boy over and over and over. We had the ball 12 times (not counting the possession before the half with 0:24 left or the one at the end of the game with 0:09 remaining) and we went 3 and out 8 freaking times!!! Other than the 86 yard TD in the 2nd quarter, we had 11 possessions, ran 47 plays and gained a whopping 109 yards!!! Thank god the defense gave us the ball at their 47 or we would have only scored 10 points all day!!!!

What actually being asked of the defense is, stop the other team and score some points because if we have to rely on just our offense to put points up, we're gonna be 5-12!!!! :biggrin:

Said it then and I"ll say it again, as bad as the offense was that day it scored enough points to win the game. And the defense, as shitty a thing as it was to ask them for one more stop, allowed Brady to go the distance in barely more than 30 secs for the win.