QB Bryce Perkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does need a lot of work in the passing game. He went UDFA for a reason. I also don't realistically expect him to morph into a drop back gunslinger that will put up 300-350 through the air every week. I'd focus on a dominant running game that can take advantage of what the D gives them in the passing game with a guy like Perkins.
At some point though you have to be able to pass the ball in order to keep defenses honest just look at Baltimore. Jackson is a great runner but teams don't have to worry about him throwing the ball even with some very good weapons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At some point though you have to be able to pass the ball in order to keep defenses honest just look at Baltimore. Jackson is a great runner but teams don't have to worry about him throwing the ball even with some very good weapons.

And Perkins isn't in Lamar's class as a runner. If you want a sustainable winner, you still need a QB who can win from the pocket.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Hard to say what class he's in when he hasn't taken a snap in the league yet. According to his UVA strength coach, he has blazing top end speed. He probably ends up being another guy who flames out, but the tools he possesses make him a high reward low risk option to develop for a couple of years.

From spring 2018,

UVA strength coach Shawn Griswold clocked Virginia’s starting quarterback at 22.2 miles per hour this summer.

“Yeah, I remember the day he texted me,” said Perkins of when Griswold let him know of his speed. “It was after one of the long circuit things we do. It was the last 75 yards and he told us to sprint. So, I just got out and competed. I didn’t know [at the time] that it was 22, but I felt pretty good after running.”

It’s the fastest recorded time that Perkins has been clocked at using UVA’s GPS system for tracking speed of its players.

“In spring, with pads on, I ran 21-something. I don’t know if [22 m.p.h.] is my top speed, but it’s my top speed recorded.

For the sake of comparison, the NFL’s Next Gen Stats have ranked the top speeds of players with the ball in their hands in games for the 2017 season.

The fastest was Leonard Fournette of the Jacksonville Jaguars, who clocked in at 22.05 m.p.h as his peak speed on a 90-yard touchdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 5.

The next closest was San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Godwin, who reached 21.68 in Week 9.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I can't imagine Trask being available when the Rams pick (64th overall) first. I love him, but I think a lot of teams are gonna feel the same....

Only way we land him is if someone wants Goff, a 2nd, and a pick next year. He will fly up the rankings. He’s solid

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If you want a sustainable winner, you still need a QB who can win from the pocket.

This can never be repeated enough. The QB can be a great runner, but in the NFL, no QB can be successful if they can't win from the pocket. On the other hand, a QB can be a terrible runner, but if they are great from the pocket, they can win consistently.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say what class he's in when he hasn't taken a snap in the league yet. According to his UVA strength coach, he has blazing top end speed. He probably ends up being another guy who flames out, but the tools he possesses make him a high reward low risk option to develop for a couple of years.

From spring 2018,

UVA strength coach Shawn Griswold clocked Virginia’s starting quarterback at 22.2 miles per hour this summer.

“Yeah, I remember the day he texted me,” said Perkins of when Griswold let him know of his speed. “It was after one of the long circuit things we do. It was the last 75 yards and he told us to sprint. So, I just got out and competed. I didn’t know [at the time] that it was 22, but I felt pretty good after running.”

It’s the fastest recorded time that Perkins has been clocked at using UVA’s GPS system for tracking speed of its players.

“In spring, with pads on, I ran 21-something. I don’t know if [22 m.p.h.] is my top speed, but it’s my top speed recorded.

For the sake of comparison, the NFL’s Next Gen Stats have ranked the top speeds of players with the ball in their hands in games for the 2017 season.

The fastest was Leonard Fournette of the Jacksonville Jaguars, who clocked in at 22.05 m.p.h as his peak speed on a 90-yard touchdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 5.

The next closest was San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Godwin, who reached 21.68 in Week 9.
But easy to say what class he’s not in when he hasn’t taken a snap and that would be Lamar Jackson’s. That top end 22 mph stuff is great if he’s constantly ripping off 75+ yd runs but Perkins 40 time is not all that impressive at 4.55. He’s fast but not “blazing fast” like Lamar is (4.34). Perkins is literally Russell Wilson fast which is nice to have...but can’t be the main thing you bring to the table.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
But easy to say what class he’s not in when he hasn’t taken a snap and that would be Lamar Jackson’s. That top end 22 mph stuff is great if he’s constantly ripping off 75+ yd runs but Perkins 40 time is not all that impressive at 4.55. He’s fast but not “blazing fast” like Lamar is (4.34). Perkins is literally Russell Wilson fast which is nice to have...but can’t be the main thing you bring to the table.
40 times are nice, but they aren't play speed. Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown proved that. He doesn't have quite the burst that Lamar has in his first step, but who the hell does? This guy would be one of the fastest players on the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
40 times are nice, but they aren't play speed. Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown proved that. He doesn't have quite the burst that Lamar has in his first step, but who the hell does? This guy would be one of the fastest players on the Rams.
Can he return kicks or run a post route?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that’s a confusing response because you just spoke highly of his top end speed that he can reach after 75 yds but than down talk a shorter run (40 yd dash) saying it’s not playing speed...neither is the 22 mph he reached when running the length of the field. I would argue 40 time is MUCH closer to playing speed than a 75+ yd run and top speed.

Of course he doesn’t have the burst Lamar does that’s the point. Jrry made a post saying Perkins is not in lamars class as a runner and you posted next 20 mins later saying it’s hard to say what class he’s in when he hasn’t taken a snap .....implying he might be in Lamars.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He has long runs for TDs though so the speed checks out. You guys are hung up on a 4.55 40 when I see some long runs in his college career and his coach had the data to back it up. Rams don't have many players that can reach 21mph in pads. Doesn't mean he'll be successful. I just posted that to illustrate he has serious speed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has long runs for TDs though so the speed checks out. You guys are hung up on a 4.55 40 when I see some long runs in his college career and his coach had the data to back it up. Rams don't have many players that can reach 21mph in pads. Doesn't mean he'll be successful. I just posted that to illustrate he has serious speed.
Actually most of us are hung up wondering if he can win from the pocket we all see the speed and the running ability. But throwing the ball is job #1 for a QB. If he can't do that he's just a gimmick.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I acknowledged that with the QB School post. Can he keep D's honest throwing the ball? I don't know, but he's on the roster and I hope he develops.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I acknowledged that with the QB School post. Can he keep D's honest throwing the ball? I don't know, but he's on the roster and I hope he develops.
Then we're in a waiting pattern until next year and camp. Posts about his running ability and his lack of passing are irrelevant until we see him under center in camp.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Then we're in a waiting pattern until next year and camp. Posts about his running ability and his lack of passing are irrelevant until we see him under center in camp.

It's a message board, most of this stuff is irrelevant in the grand scheme. If you want to talk about something else, keep scrolling. I like Perkins tools, if you don't cool.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a message board, most of this stuff is irrelevant in the grand scheme. If you want to talk about something else, keep scrolling. I like Perkins tools, if you don't cool.
Sorry I didn't clarify well there. Post away all you want but there won't be any changes we know about with this guy until camp. You can post vid's of him in college to your hearts content. But nothing really will change until camp and the 90 man roster is set.

Tano

Legend
I would like to use him in more of a Wild Cat with Akers and move them around from time to time

Maybe 3 or 4 plays a game something like that

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I would like to use him in more of a Wild Cat with Akers and move them around from time to time

Maybe 3 or 4 plays a game something like that

It would be interesting to stress a D with both of those guys on the field at the same time. Some short yardage Wildcat might help rev up the running game in those predictable situations. Also have the threat of both throwing the ball if you want.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be interesting to stress a D with both of those guys on the field at the same time. Some short yardage Wildcat might help rev up the running game in those predictable situations. Also have the threat of both throwing the ball if you want.
Just curious but how would an upgraded OLine and a QB that made defenses fear putting 8 in the box affect our Running game? Add to that a WR with some speed so the safeties also couldn't crowd the box help our running game? If we don't improve the OLine would this wildcat be any good either?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not hard to say. I watched him play in college. Lamar was a much more dynamic runner.