QB Bryce Perkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Oh

ok, that’s what I thought

you seriously believe this will happen

I would be really surprised if he were to be even activated, perhaps had he the benefit of snaps in preseason, this is maybe just too far outta the box

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh

ok, that’s what I thought

you seriously believe this will happen?

No idea. But, if McVay is the creative offense genius he's said to be, it should be considered given the struggles on offense.

And if not, they probably shouldn't even activate him and stick with two QBs.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
No idea. But, if McVay is the creative offense genius he's said to be, it should be considered given the struggles on offense.

If somehow he does and it works, you really need to be McVays personal “get back” coach raking 400k a year

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

No... If McVay is the offensive genius he's said to be, he's considered and likely tried some shit in PRACTICE.

It means literally nothing to us fans if we don't see him try it in a second round playoff game against the #1 seed.

If we see it then we see it. Win or lose, I'm not going to be pondering the what ifs regarding a few trick plays - practice squad QB, Cam, Hekker, Donald running the ball, etc...Sorry but it's a fools folly to keep doing this.

If he tries it, I'm down with it. But I really think that would demonstrate desperation - a lack of faith. Or... Some could call it genius if it works. If it doesn't work, you can count on multiple posts on the WTF vibe.

We have great posters here and you're one of them. I just can't get behind arm chair coaches thinking our HC is missing something because he hasn't tried their wrinkle. Especially when none of us have ANY info as to what they've seen or tried.

Ponder away. I'm cool with that. Questioning why they don't see what you do is a bit - no... A LOT...bewildering to me.

But have at it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No... If McVay is the offensive genius he's said to be, he's considered and likely tried some shit in PRACTICE.

It means literally nothing to us fans if we don't see him try it in a second round playoff game against the #1 seed.

If we see it then we see it. Win or lose, I'm not going to be pondering the what ifs regarding a few trick plays - practice squad QB, Cam, Hekker, Donald running the ball, etc...Sorry but it's a fools folly to keep doing this.

If he tries it, I'm down with it. But I really think that would demonstrate desperation - a lack of faith. Or... Some could call it genius if it works. If it doesn't work, you can count on multiple posts on the WTF vibe.

We have great posters here and you're one of them. I just can't get behind arm chair coaches thinking our HC is missing something because he hasn't tried their wrinkle. Especially when none of us have ANY info as to what they've seen or tried.

Ponder away. I'm cool with that. Questioning why they don't see what you do is a bit - no... A LOT...bewildering to me.

But have at it.

I guess that I'm bewildered by your response.

A suggestion regarding something that should be considered or they probably shouldn't even activate him is being viewed as a slight against McVay now? You read my posts and came to the conclusion that he had to run what I would like to see in this game or he shouldn't be considered an offensive genius??

Anyway, I would hope that anything that we saw on gameday was practiced first. That really goes without saying. It also goes without saying that we all are working with limited information as to what goes on in practice. At least I thought it did.

Besides, what I have suggested really isn't anything new. McVay had a small package for Bortles running the football in a game just last year. It didn't work, but at the same time, Bortles isn't close to the same type of athlete.

Perkins being an UDFA only matters as to how he entered the league. Practice squad or no, he's a Ram now as he has been with the team all year (so they see something in the kid). I'm not and never have suggested that he be made a starter this year. Just a small package of plays that play to his strengths. Plays that, again, I'm sure would be practiced first.

And seeding only matters in regards to who & where each team will be playing in this new season. If not for about 2-3 slip ups, the Rams might have even been the #1 seed. Big whoop.

#1 seed or not, what really matters in the 2nd game of this new season is that McVay has a struggling offense (key) going against a team who has had their struggles vs. the run. Wade Phillips was dropped because McVay wanted a defense that could adjust to it's opponents. It was a smart move. It's just my opinion that it would also be a smart move for the offense to make an adjustment on a few plays/personnel groupings and do the same vs. certain opponents utilizing a talent they have allowed to stick around all season. A talent capable of attacking a weakness of an opponent. Not necessarily desperation or a lack of faith.

Besides, given the venue, Goff's thumb, and his lock on target Kupp's knee, it might be in the team's best interest to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible.

But, I'm not going to hold it against McVay just because I don't see it in a game.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A suggestion regarding something that should be considered or they probably shouldn't even activate him is being viewed as a slight against McVay now? You read my posts and came to the conclusion that he had to run what I would like to see in this game or he shouldn't be considered an offensive genius??
Sorry man but that's how you're coming off to me. So yes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread is bumming me out, why isnt it possible to talk about Perkins, (his potential etc) without it being an attack on Goff or McVay.
That's a rhetorical question....

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This thread is bumming me out, why isnt it possible to talk about Perkins, (his potential etc) without it being an attack on Goff or McVay.
I'm not sure.
I love the idea that we have a Wolford or a Perkins on the team if needed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't have a problem with that. And maybe I'm reading too much into it but the tenor came off to me as "other coaches would have tried this because they're more creative" and "a REAL offensive genius" would have used Perkins in some of these packages.

Hell. I don't have any problem with McVay trying pretty much anything he thinks could work. I don't have a problem with threads about ideas on plays or schemes. I just shake my head when someone just can't believe our coaches haven't tried their idea.

We all want to see more production from the offense. If a package of plays for a QB that never made it on to the roster and was never picked up as a team's number 2 works? That would be fun to see. If it doesn't happen, I won't pine for it or even give it a second thought.

A guy can have all the intangibles in the world but not demonstrate it on an NFL stage or in an NFL training camp or practice. If Perkins were to come in on a trick play or a package and turn the ball over, how brilliant, creative, genius, etc would people be calling McVay then?

For me? I would figure he was trying to catch the other team off guard and let it go.

Personally, I think you go with your strengths and don't try to get too cute being that you have 10 other players that have to be in sync. But I won't be wondering why if it goes another way.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams elevate Bryce Perkins, Donte Deayon from practice squad
Posted by Myles Simmons on January 15, 2021

Rams elevate Bryce Perkins, Donte Deayon from practice squad - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

The Rams have made a few roster moves in advance of their divisional-round matchup with the Packers. Los Angeles has elevated quarterback Bryce Perkins and defensive back Donte Deayon from the practice squad to the active roster. In his Thursday press conference, head coach Sean McVay said the Rams may activate three quarterbacks for Saturday’s contest. Last week, L.A. had only two quarterbacks active — John Wolford and Jared Goff. Goff will start against the Packers with Blake Bortles expected to serve as the backup.

The Rams also signed long snapper Colin Holba to their practice squad on Friday.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams elevate Bryce Perkins, Donte Deayon from practice squad
Posted by Myles Simmons on January 15, 2021

Rams elevate Bryce Perkins, Donte Deayon from practice squad - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

The Rams have made a few roster moves in advance of their divisional-round matchup with the Packers. Los Angeles has elevated quarterback Bryce Perkins and defensive back Donte Deayon from the practice squad to the active roster. In his Thursday press conference, head coach Sean McVay said the Rams may activate three quarterbacks for Saturday’s contest. Last week, L.A. had only two quarterbacks active — John Wolford and Jared Goff. Goff will start against the Packers with Blake Bortles expected to serve as the backup.

The Rams also signed long snapper Colin Holba to their practice squad on Friday.

Welp - I’m guessing The Rams might have there ling snapper of the future.Seems like The Rams are protecting player for 2021 as well.
The signing by Green Bay from the Colts might have something to do with the move? Will see if they make the game day roster.

How does the 3rd QB rule work? Last week could have been a disaster. Goff took a couple nice hits & with that broken thumb. Whew

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like having Bryce Perkins activated myself. I am not a Bortles fan.

Rams brought up an outside corner Dont'e Deayon to give DC Staley an option of five available corners against the Packers. Deayon has been a Ram since 2018.

Corners
#1-Ramsey
#2-Williams
#3-Hill
#4-Long
#5-Deayon

Safeties
#1-JJ III
#2-Fuller
#3-Scott
#4-Hughes
#5-Reed

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sorry man but that's how you're coming off to me. So yes.

I've asked something similar before, but my question is, why does is seem that anything not said in praise of either deemed as an attack by some? We are all Rams fans rooting for and hoping for the best. It just seems like there is too much reading in between the lines vs. the reading the actual lines posted, IMO.

I don't post nearly as often as I have in the past so maybe I've missed some things, but what's happened to this forum all the sudden?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess that I'm bewildered by your response.

Anyway, I would hope that anything that we saw on gameday was practiced first. That really goes without saying. It also goes without saying that we all are working with limited information as to what goes on in practice. At least I thought it did.

Besides, what I have suggested really isn't anything new. McVay had a small package for Bortles running the football in a game just last year. It didn't work, but at the same time, Bortles isn't close to the same type of athlete.

Perkins being an UDFA only matters as to how he entered the league. Practice squad or no, he's a Ram now as he has been with the team all year (so they see something in the kid). I'm not and never have suggested that he be made a starter this year. Just a small package of plays that play to his strengths. Plays that, again, I'm sure would be practiced first.

And seeding only matters in regards to who & where each team will be playing in this new season. If not for about 2-3 slip ups, the Rams might have even been the #1 seed. Big whoop.

#1 seed or not, what really matters in the 2nd game of this new season is that McVay has a struggling offense (key) going against a team who has had their struggles vs. the run. Wade Phillips was dropped because McVay wanted a defense that could adjust to it's opponents. It was a smart move. It's just my opinion that it would also be a smart move for the offense to make an adjustment on a few plays/personnel groupings and do the same vs. certain opponents utilizing a talent they have allowed to stick around all season. A talent capable of attacking a weakness of an opponent. Not necessarily desperation or a lack of faith.

Besides, given the venue, Goff's thumb, and his lock on target Kupp's knee, it might be in the team's best interest to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible.

But, I'm not going to hold it against McVay just because I don't see it in a game.

I think your dreaming in that Jared Goff is not The Rams QB all the way without wrinkles.There is a Big Difference Perkins & Wolford.Bortles was brought in last week because there was concern about Jared Goff’s thumb.Mcvay brought Blake Bortles in last year because of his leadership & knowledge.
Perkins to me might be better than Bortles.I’m not sure how the QB 3 works on a roster? My believe is that he doesn’t have to be on the Game Day roster though,but can still suit up as long as he is on the 53?Then again I’m probably way wrong?
My point is the Green Bay game is all about Jared Goff’s thumb,plus the effect of the weather towards throwing the ball.I don’t believe Blake Bortles is the answer as even the back up,that showed in Denver without even a clear #1 QB

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like having Bryce Perkins activated myself. I am not a Bortles fan.

Rams brought up an outside corner Dont'e Deayon to give DC Staley an option of five available corners against the Packers. Deayon has been a Ram since 2018.

Corners
#1-Ramsey
#2-Williams
#3-Hill
#4-Long
#5-Deayon

Safeties
#1-JJ III
#2-Fuller
#3-Scott
#4-Hughes
#5-Reed

I will bet you Nick Scott will get at least 15 defensive snaps this Saturday,plus special teams.He missed the tackle to open up the 2nd half,but still way Better than Most Ram Fans even think.