QB Bryce Perkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, for those not liking QB threads, wait till the draft, when I will be pounding the table for Kyle Trask or Jamie Newman...Bryce Perkins is highly intelligent and has the ability to extend plays, won some games on his own, so, maybe the Rams won't draft a QB in 2021 because of the development of Perkins.

He also dons #5 and I always liked that number for a QB, FWIW, plus I become much smarter every time @Memphis Ram posts.

View attachment 42898

View attachment 42899

Den, I've read about and watched clips of both players. I think I'd pass on both in favor of Texas A&M's Kellen Mond.

Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A & M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfh2hsmInCE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAchL9mkLyQ

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Den, I've read about and watched clips of both players. I think I'd pass on both in favor of Texas A&M's Kellen Mond.

Mond has been Jekyll & Hyde showing promise in 2018, regressing in 2019 then bouncing back in 2020. Plus there is much to like about him, standing at 6-foot-3, 202 pounds while possessing a 4.81 40-yard dash and a 30-inch vertical. He logged a career-best completion percentage at 63.5%, as well as a career-best yards per attempt at 7.6, leading the Aggies to an 8-1 regular season record.

His physical profile is not close to Jamie Newman and Mond's lack of throwing versatility is a concern at the next level, however, if he can loosen up and refine his upper body mechanics, he could unlock more touch, precision placement, and trajectory manipulation.

I like Newman because of his Ceiling and imposing profile, reminds me of a faster James Harris of yesteryear, but Mond could be special, but I might be myopic comparing other QB's when it comes to Newman because of his size and arm strength & speed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you like a QB with wheels who's played against some big time competition, ND's Ian Book will be available in the 6th round...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mond has been Jekyll & Hyde showing promise in 2018, regressing in 2019 then bouncing back in 2020. Plus there is much to like about him, standing at 6-foot-3, 202 pounds while possessing a 4.81 40-yard dash and a 30-inch vertical. He logged a career-best completion percentage at 63.5%, as well as a career-best yards per attempt at 7.6, leading the Aggies to an 8-1 regular season record.

His physical profile is not close to Jamie Newman and Mond's lack of throwing versatility is a concern at the next level, however, if he can loosen up and refine his upper body mechanics, he could unlock more touch, precision placement, and trajectory manipulation.

I like Newman because of his Ceiling and imposing profile, reminds me of a faster James Harris of yesteryear, but Mond could be special, but I might be myopic comparing other QB's when it comes to Newman because of his size and arm strength & speed.

Newman is a physical specimen. And I hate Mond's hand size, but he looks like the better passer right now to me. Of course that can change.

Senior Bowl Measurements

QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 205
Wing: 80 1/8”
Arm: 33”
Hand: 9 1/4”

QB Jamie Newman, UGA
Weight: 235
Wing: 76”
Arm: 30 1/2”
Hand: 10”

Memphis Ram

Legend
If you like a QB with wheels who's played against some big time competition, ND's Ian Book will be available in the 6th round...

Now Book is a playmaker who can extend plays. His arm strength seems a bit lacking to me though.

QB Ian Book, Notre Dame
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 210
Wing: 79 1/4”
Arm: 31 1/4”
Hand: 9 7/8”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Book sucks. Newman is a great physical talent who sucks at playing QB. And Mond, while the best of the group, is as inconsistent as they come and goes through stretches where he can't hit the broad side of a barn. If I were drafting any of the three, it would be Mond on Day 3. He at least has potential if he ever figures out his consistency issues.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't care for Book either. He looks good on highlights but queue up a full game and he's not all that. Certainly not enough to overcome his height disadvantage... You gotta have something special to compensate for that.

For the Rams it comes down to WHEN they want to take a shot at QB IMO.

If for example they plan on trading Jared in June then I would think they're looking QB in round 2. Now who would they be looking for and what is the priority? IMO there in round 2 it's Mac Jones. I keep seeing Jones listed higher and he might go higher depending on workouts, Senior Bowl, interviews, etc. His ceiling is that bottom third of round 1 where the playoff teams who are thinking QB are on the prowl. I can't see anyone taking him higher than that and I see his value range as being round 2. He probably goes early round 2 like Brees in fact.

Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Lance all probably go first round. Maybe some team decides Trask is going to be elite but I am concerned by his staff being so cool on him tbh. So Trask is a second round or later guy IMO and I would take Jones before I take him because I like Jones' vision and his quick reads. I think he is ahead of a lot of these other QBs in his reads in terms of how much work he'll need to play in the NFL. Now do the Rams have interest in Trask? I don't know he's a weird prospect in that I'm sort of split on what I've seen so far from him so if I want Trask I'd wait for round 3. He's not a guy I would plan and move for that's for sure.

The only guy I would position in round 2 for is Mac Jones.

Now if they want a dev guy who has some upside on the cheap THEN that's the point where things get really interesting and you have guys like Mond. Who throws a beautiful ball btw. I really like Mond as a project and he's not the only one. Not too big on Newman but you know any of these guys could impress during Senior Bowl week and flip all that.

I've already started looking at the QBs and this year I'm looking at the read-option types too. And I love Mac Jones man. That's also considering that I recognize his OL and weapons are out of this world for that level of play. But even with that he reads quick and makes good decisions and in the end that's what QB is about.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Don't remember where I saw or heard it, I heard an interesting Mac Jones vs. Joe Burrow comparison.
It went something like Joe Burrows had about 125 tight window throws his final year at LSU while Mac Jones only had about 40 last season.

QB Mac Jones, Alabama
Weight: 217
Wing: 79 1/8”
Arm: 32 1/2”
Hand: 9 3/4”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't remember where I saw or heard it, I heard an interesting Mac Jones vs. Joe Burrow comparison.
It went something like Joe Burrows had about 125 tight window throws his final year at LSU while Mac Jones only had about 40 last season.

QB Mac Jones, Alabama
Weight: 217
Wing: 79 1/8”
Arm: 32 1/2”
Hand: 9 3/4”
Only thing with Jones is he's not mobile. And I think a switch has flipped with McVay in that regard, I suspect he wants mobility, a guy who can pick up easy first downs with his legs when they're there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Book sucks. Newman is a great physical talent who sucks at playing QB. And Mond, while the best of the group, is as inconsistent as they come and goes through stretches where he can't hit the broad side of a barn. If I were drafting any of the three, it would be Mond on Day 3. He at least has potential if he ever figures out his consistency issues.

You're a Florida guy, what about Kyle Trask, what is your read on him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're a Florida guy, what about Kyle Trask, what is your read on him?

Great intangibles. Outstanding mental acuity. Very skilled. Lacks physical attributes. He reminds me of Matt Schaub and Nick Foles. Could be a solid starter in the right spot. But he has underwhelming arm strength and no mobility. Very, very smart guy, though. Great at identifying the right matchup presnap. Davis Mills is the developmental QB I like.

I'll be more interested to see how Newman performs in the game. For most players, practice is more important, but that's where Newman will shine. He's big, strong, athletic, and has a great arm. Issue is that he is a slow processor who lacks pocket instincts and has zero touch on throws. One play that is burned in my memory with him came against Louisville. They called the perfect play to attack the coverage being played by the defense. Newman made the right read to throw to the TE who was going to be wide open in the endzone. And ended up throwing the ball straight to the LB because he didn't loft it over the second level of the defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care for Book either. He looks good on highlights but queue up a full game and he's not all that. Certainly not enough to overcome his height disadvantage... You gotta have something special to compensate for that.

For the Rams it comes down to WHEN they want to take a shot at QB IMO.

If for example they plan on trading Jared in June then I would think they're looking QB in round 2. Now who would they be looking for and what is the priority? IMO there in round 2 it's Mac Jones. I keep seeing Jones listed higher and he might go higher depending on workouts, Senior Bowl, interviews, etc. His ceiling is that bottom third of round 1 where the playoff teams who are thinking QB are on the prowl. I can't see anyone taking him higher than that and I see his value range as being round 2. He probably goes early round 2 like Brees in fact.

Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Lance all probably go first round. Maybe some team decides Trask is going to be elite but I am concerned by his staff being so cool on him tbh. So Trask is a second round or later guy IMO and I would take Jones before I take him because I like Jones' vision and his quick reads. I think he is ahead of a lot of these other QBs in his reads in terms of how much work he'll need to play in the NFL. Now do the Rams have interest in Trask? I don't know he's a weird prospect in that I'm sort of split on what I've seen so far from him so if I want Trask I'd wait for round 3. He's not a guy I would plan and move for that's for sure.

The only guy I would position in round 2 for is Mac Jones.

Now if they want a dev guy who has some upside on the cheap THEN that's the point where things get really interesting and you have guys like Mond. Who throws a beautiful ball btw. I really like Mond as a project and he's not the only one. Not too big on Newman but you know any of these guys could impress during Senior Bowl week and flip all that.

I've already started looking at the QBs and this year I'm looking at the read-option types too. And I love Mac Jones man. That's also considering that I recognize his OL and weapons are out of this world for that level of play. But even with that he reads quick and makes good decisions and in the end that's what QB is about.

I could end up looking very foolish for this, but Mac Jones just strikes me as fool's gold. About half his production came throwing to Devonta Smith, who consistently got wide open, and Jones was rarely pressured behind the OL Bama had in front of him. Credit to him for making accurate throws in a clean pocket and generally the right reads. He throws a great deep ball with nice touch. But I didn't like what I saw from him on the rare occasions Bama's OL got a little leaky. He's a hard NFL evaluation because he wasn't forced into a ton of NFL-esque situations.

The under-the-radar QB prospect I really like is Davis Mills from Stanford.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could end up looking very foolish for this, but Mac Jones just strikes me as fool's gold. About half his production came throwing to Devonta Smith, who consistently got wide open, and Jones was rarely pressured behind the OL Bama had in front of him. Credit to him for making accurate throws in a clean pocket and generally the right reads. He throws a great deep ball with nice touch. But I didn't like what I saw from him on the rare occasions Bama's OL got a little leaky. He's a hard NFL evaluation because he wasn't forced into a ton of NFL-esque situations.

The under-the-radar QB prospect I really like is Davis Mills from Stanford.
Your reservations are precisely why I think he will get through the 20s without being picked. Could see someone like the Saints rolling the dice, I mean all it takes is one team, but I agree the conditions being so favorable means that teams will evaluate him with some caution.

But working against that is a guy who might not need as much time as some others to give you some return. Not a high upside by any means but maybe quick to play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your reservations are precisely why I think he will get through the 20s without being picked. Could see someone like the Saints rolling the dice, I mean all it takes is one team, but I agree the conditions being so favorable means that teams will evaluate him with some caution.

But working against that is a guy who might not need as much time as some others to give you some return. Not a high upside by any means but maybe quick to play.

It's hard to say. That fifth year option will be alluring at the end of the first round. For me, I am less concerned about getting a guy who can immediately play if we have Goff. I'd rather get a guy who has the skillset to be really good if developed well. Unfortunately, there aren't many options outside the first round this year (which is not abnormal).