Professional Boxing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Money, money.
Foreman was still a contender at that point but hadn’t fought in a long time and was coming off a loss.
Not the first time a guy coming off a loss got a title shot.
Bit, as unusual, it was all about the money.
If Tyson is serious about it (I don’t think he is) he would only have to string together a couple of wins to get a shot at a title or a big name.
$$
What makes you think that? He's trained his ass off for the exhibition fight, which for me, is the only indication of seriousness. Especially for a guy in his 50's....

fearsomefour

Legend
What makes you think that? He's trained his ass off for the exhibition fight, which for me, is the only indication of seriousness. Especially for a guy in his 50's....
Just seems like a content guy now.
But, who knows?
Maybe he is serious.
The HW division is much different than when he left.
The land of the giants now.
6’ 6” + is not unusual now.
Would be......interesting.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just seems like a content guy now.
But, who knows?
Maybe he is serious.
The HW division is much different than when he left.
The land of the giants now.
6’ 6” + is not unusual now.
Would be......interesting.
I am the god of War ~ Iron Mike

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I’m on the Zoloft to keep from killin y’all”
Iron Mike.
I think he's off the Zoloft....dude is acting fierce again, where no ear is safe...

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I got in to it years ago when FX/Fox sports1 carried the Ultimate Fighter series. Got to see many of the fighters before they made it, and many of the big named fighters who were on the show as coaches. Was brilliant format. Unfortunately, the sport has gone to such a pay for app production I couldnt imagine getting in to it today. If you have the chance to see the ESPN 30 for 30 on Chuck and Tito, I highly suggest it, really digs in to how the sport made prominence. The UFC has its share of wild knockouts, but if you want to see some real MMA mastery, check out some youtube of Royce Gracie

As for Mancini, man I was literally scared for his life when he was going to fight Livingstone Bramble, dude used to enter the ring with a snake on his shoulders.

15 rounds. Man, those were some crazy days.
I've only seen Muhammad Ali fights on youtube etc, and the classics were absolutely classic.
But for me, when I think of the best fight I ever saw (live), it was hands down Pryor-Arguello I
Man was never the same after he killed that guy.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Boxing was the sport when I was a kid. Last fight I watched was Pacquiao/Mayweather, which reminded me why i had no interest
Much more interested in UFC although the ESPN deal is killing the sport.
Fortunate to have seen so many greats, from Tyson to Sugar Ray Leonard, Hagler (I still think he won the fight) Hearns, Benitez were all great.
Aaron Pryor and Alexis Arguello had some amazing fights, Pryor is one of the most under rated fighters of all time.
loved watching Barry McGuigan fight, seemingly broke his nose in every fight lol.
Sadly I can remember where I was when i watched the Ray Boom Boom Mancini vs Duk Koo Kim fight.
too many divisions, mass corruption and the fall of Tyson pretty much ended my affection For the sport.
I was definitely drawn back in to boxing with the Trilogy between Irish Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti, but really had no interest after that
Pryor was his worst own problem, no joke no lie I took him out of a crack house around 122st and nw 22ave,dude just couldn't stop doing drugs.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I remember when I got furloughed from Greyhound, I used my month or so to relax and take a trip to St Thomas/Virgin Islands. I was in a taxi cab with a driver who I surprised by knowing a hometown hero, Emile Griffith. Griffith was a 5-Time Champion in few divisions and finished in the Middleweight division. I never saw him live, but I'm a history guy and so I had read about his career.
His rematch title fight versus Benny Paret in 1962 at Madison Square Garden, led to Paret's death 10 days after the fight. Reportedly, Griffith was a bisexual man who Paret infuriated by touching Emile's ass and making homosexual slurs during the fight.

Anyway, Emile Griffith was a great fighter that few know about.
Agree about Grif the only reason he isnt know cause the heavyweights ruled that time.

Greatest boxer Roy Jones. Best heavyweight Ali by far many forget cause of his draft status he didnt fight in his best years. And my favorite guy Felix Trinidad.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Love this post.Ive been a Super Super boxing guy for years, love this post again and again. Who could have been the best Boxer Ever, Duran. Dude just couldnt stop doing coke and gaining weight,he was a party animal.He had a fight at 147 and would be at 200,Jesus Christ.If Duran had taken boxing serious he would have never been beaten.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pryor was his worst own problem, no joke no lie I took him out of a crack house around 122st and nw 22ave,dude just couldn't stop doing drugs.
Yeah, really a shame.
Just never hear his name thrown out there with the greatest of all time. Which IMO he certainly was. Just ran out of competition, and I guess you know better than me, he shoulda never been allowed to fight Young after 2.5 year layoff and rampant (alleged) drug use

fearsomefour

Legend
Love this post.Ive been a Super Super boxing guy for years, love this post again and again. Who could have been the best Boxer Ever, Duran. Dude just couldnt stop doing coke and gaining weight,he was a party animal.He had a fight at 147 and would be at 200,Jesus Christ.If Duran had taken boxing serious he would have never been beaten.
So strange when guys do that.
But, a lot of fighters seem to have that personality....go hard types.
When he was training and fighting he was all in but when he wasn’t he was partying hard.
Like you said if only he had taken care of his body......crazy.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree about Grif the only reason he isnt know cause the heavyweights ruled that time.

Greatest boxer Roy Jones. Best heavyweight Ali by far many forget cause of his draft status he didnt fight in his best years. And my favorite guy Felix Trinidad.
Trinidad was a destroyer for his reign for sure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Trinidad was a destroyer for his reign for sure.

Trinidad's problem was that he was somewhat limited in his skill set. He was partially exposed by De La Hoya, although it was masked by the fact that Oscar took his foot off the pedal for the last four rounds of the fight and blew an easy decision. Bernard Hopkins didn't make the same mistake, and in one of the most incredible, clinical boxing displays ever, dismantled Trinidad to score a 12 round TKO. Felix had no idea what to do, and the look of confusion and bewilderment on his face in the later rounds really said it all.

Great exhibition of skill by Hopkins, just absolutely brilliant. If you haven't seen it, you need to go to YouTube and check it out.

The other weakness with Hopkins is that he could never recover from a defeat. After the Hopkins fight, he had one fight against a tomato can and then retired for a few years. He came back with a resounding win over a tailor-made opponent in Ricardo Mayorga, but then got thoroughly outpointed by Winky Wright and once again went back into retirement. Psychologically, he just didn't deal with defeat well.

I've always had a little more respect for guys that can recover from defeats. Joe Louis was KO'd on his way up by Max Schmeling, but Louis learned some lessons and went on to become one of the greatest champions ever (and utterly destroyed Schmeling in the rematch). Ali lost to Frazier and Norton, and was able to beat them in rematches and then regain the title by KO'ing Foreman. And don't forget Floyd Patterson - annihilated by Ingemar Johannsen and came back a year later to render Ingo unconscious while becoming the first heavyweight to regain the title. Gotta respect guys like that.

Trinidad in that aspect reminds me of another guy I wonder if any of you remember - Donald Curry. The guy was on the rise, had the unified welterweight title, and then ran into a buzzsaw named Lloyd Honeyghan. Never the same after that.

fearsomefour

Legend
Trinidad's problem was that he was somewhat limited in his skill set. He was partially exposed by De La Hoya, although it was masked by the fact that Oscar took his foot off the pedal for the last four rounds of the fight and blew an easy decision. Bernard Hopkins didn't make the same mistake, and in one of the most incredible, clinical boxing displays ever, dismantled Trinidad to score a 12 round TKO. Felix had no idea what to do, and the look of confusion and bewilderment on his face in the later rounds really said it all.

Great exhibition of skill by Hopkins, just absolutely brilliant. If you haven't seen it, you need to go to YouTube and check it out.

The other weakness with Hopkins is that he could never recover from a defeat. After the Hopkins fight, he had one fight against a tomato can and then retired for a few years. He came back with a resounding win over a tailor-made opponent in Ricardo Mayorga, but then got thoroughly outpointed by Winky Wright and once again went back into retirement. Psychologically, he just didn't deal with defeat well.

I've always had a little more respect for guys that can recover from defeats. Joe Louis was KO'd on his way up by Max Schmeling, but Louis learned some lessons and went on to become one of the greatest champions ever (and utterly destroyed Schmeling in the rematch). Ali lost to Frazier and Norton, and was able to beat them in rematches and then regain the title by KO'ing Foreman. And don't forget Floyd Patterson - annihilated by Ingemar Johannsen and came back a year later to render Ingo unconscious while becoming the first heavyweight to regain the title. Gotta respect guys like that.

Trinidad in that aspect reminds me of another guy I wonder if any of you remember - Donald Curry. The guy was on the rise, had the unified welterweight title, and then ran into a buzzsaw named Lloyd Honeyghan. Never the same after that.
Never saw that fight with Hopkins.
But he was a brilliant fighter.
Hopkins could fight different styles and really adjusted as he aged.
Not too dissimilar to Floyd.
I remember Donald Curry’s name but don’t remember a fight.
Another guy I enjoyed in his quick (at least in America) rise was Andrew Golota.
A heavy with good hands and skills and power who had a hard time dealing with.....life I think.
Don’t know if there was a guy I remember that was more self destructive.
He had European style....meaning, generally, he had no head movement and lack defensive skills. If he got caught and stung he could never tie up and let himself recover (much like Bruno that way).
But had some good offensive skill but was a total head case obviously.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

fearsomefour

Legend
Here he is at his peak, against another Kronk gym fighter, Milton McCrory (no worries, this is a short video). 1985, welterweight title unification fight. Little over a year later he got mugged by Honeyghan and it was all downhill from there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UzxoYC7FMQ

Devastating.
The footwork and speed to get that left hook in as a power shot instead of an arm punch was damn impressive.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Yeah, really a shame.
Just never hear his name thrown out there with the greatest of all time. Which IMO he certainly was. Just ran out of competition, and I guess you know better than me, he shoulda never been allowed to fight Young after 2.5 year layoff and rampant (alleged) drug use
Well last I heard he was in Cincinnati clean and staying that way. I don't Google him nor
Yeah, really a shame.
He was Very Very good fighter, could have been top 10 of all time, just got around the wrong people.

But it was his choice. Last I heard he was in Cincinnati staying clean. Good for him.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Sorry on cell lol touching wrong Keyes. O No.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

Trinidad beat his 1st 40 fights and beat many very good fighters. Limited Skills Doubt It.