Post-Game 3 Defense Talk (and yes some whining)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about you guys but I suspect Rapp lost his job today unfortunately. I go back to the post he "saved" by making that tackle and just his inability to flow with the receiver is a problem. The guy is not good at this version of defense, as Morris does not call the game well enough IMO to maximize his strengths. In that role where his calls have safeties flat-footed at the snap I believe they have better options.

Now if they can adjust things to have him in the box as a nicklebacker or have him moving into the box at the snap then all of a sudden he's not as much a liability. Just don't know if that's gonna be a thing or not and once again I want to lament not having All 22 those NFL bastids.

Rams defense did a lot of good things though today up front. The DL had a really strong game and that includes the edges. Young had some fuckups but also what Morris would call MAD plays where he really affected things. Ramsey of course was excellent.

Williams is costing himself some money with the way he's playing. Some of it is calls I think but goddamn. He needs to raise the bar or Morris needs to start calling things more aggressively in Williams' coverage at the least. Long all I can say is we're feeling the loss of Hill, but I actually did like Long's break on the ball on the one that would have been a PI late in the game. These two guys might both look a lot better with adjustments by Morris admittedly but just what I'm seeing right now.

Lastly tackling. I mean wtf. We have to lead the league in missed tackles. Can McVay find it in his heart to hold some fucking tackling drills???

Overall from the first game to the third game the unit has improved every week. So there's that. Also we did know Brady represented a big threat at being patient underneath and Morris' plan contained them enough to win. So I am not condemning anyone here by any means. But I am concerned with needing to contain a hot QB vs Arizona. Contain hopefully will be a big emphasis this week.

TexasRam

Legend
Totally agree. Rapp is a coverage liability and was missing tackles again today. I hope they get Burgess or even Scott more time. DWill is having trouble in his expanded role and Long is as big a liability as Rapp in my book. I hope they get Rochel in there for Long sooner rather than later. It may take a loss though for any of these moves cuz Mcvay is more Tony Dungy and less Parcells on the tolerance stuff.

That said not every team has the multiple pro bowler WR/TEs and QB to expose a secondary weakness like the Bucs can.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah we may see Rochell sooner than later. Also Jones would be nice. This was Young's best game so far but he makes annoying mistakes too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about you guys but I suspect Rapp lost his job today unfortunately. I go back to the post he "saved" by making that tackle and just his inability to flow with the receiver is a problem. The guy is not good at this version of defense, as Morris does not call the game well enough IMO to maximize his strengths. In that role where his calls have safeties flat-footed at the snap I believe they have better options.

Now if they can adjust things to have him in the box as a nicklebacker or have him moving into the box at the snap then all of a sudden he's not as much a liability. Just don't know if that's gonna be a thing or not and once again I want to lament not having All 22 those NFL bastids.

Rams defense did a lot of good things though today up front. The DL had a really strong game and that includes the edges. Young had some fuckups but also what Morris would call MAD plays where he really affected things. Ramsey of course was excellent.

Williams is costing himself some money with the way he's playing. Some of it is calls I think but goddamn. He needs to raise the bar or Morris needs to start calling things more aggressively in Williams' coverage at the least. Long all I can say is we're feeling the loss of Hill, but I actually did like Long's break on the ball on the one that would have been a PI late in the game. These two guys might both look a lot better with adjustments by Morris admittedly but just what I'm seeing right now.

Lastly tackling. I mean wtf. We have to lead the league in missed tackles. Can McVay find it in his heart to hold some fucking tackling drills???

Overall from the first game to the third game the unit has improved every week. So there's that. Also we did know Brady represented a big threat at being patient underneath and Morris' plan contained them enough to win. So I am not condemning anyone here by any means. But I am concerned with needing to contain a hot QB vs Arizona. Contain hopefully will be a big emphasis this week.

I don't think the missed tackles are nearly that bad. Young's (and Lewis on the same play) are really the only ones I can recall.

Re Long - do you remember the one time we put Hill on Evans last year? Yea....

That's not an assignment Long should be asked to take on. But he was. Hill couldn't do it either.

The Bucs are an awkward match up for our defense. It's hard to argue with the results but IMO, Jalen needed to follow Evans and Williams Godwin. Let Long take Scotty Miller.

That's essentially how we dominated them last year.

Again, hard to argue with the results but I think you and I came away with the same feeling of...not sure, maybe playing with fire type of feeling?

Ram65

Legend
I agree Rapp needs to be closer to the line playing downhill. He is not good in coverage and not as good with wide-open field tackles where he has to come a long way to make a tackle. Williams covering Evans is a mismatch. IDK but, it looks like Morris is playing soft defense and not allowing over-the-top pass plays. Tackling needs to improve. Hill was great at coming up and making tackles. Rochell and Burgess may get some more chances soon.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Oh and totally agreed on Rapp. With our depth at safety I'd just have him play that nickel LB role and start Burgess

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Terell Lewis had a big day.

I'm glad they were not taking the advice of some of the people on this board by cutting him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terell Lewis had a big day.

I'm glad they were not taking the advice of some of the people on this board by cutting him.

He 100% stopped that 4th and 2 by jumping and making Brady change his trajectory which led to the overthrow

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense was a lot better today. I agree that Rapp is being misused. He should be playing in the box and covering TEs and HBs. He's quite good in that role. He's a reliable tackler and has the quicks to stick with those guys in coverage. He doesn't have the speed to stick with WRs and doesn't have good instincts in deep zones. Terrell Burgess should be playing that role.

I also agree on Darious Williams. We're not putting him in spots to take advantage of his aggressiveness and ball skills. But there was progress today. Morris called a better game. Just don't use the dumb delayed blitzes with a QB like Brady.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense was a lot better today. I agree that Rapp is being misused. He should be playing in the box and covering TEs and HBs. He's quite good in that role. He's a reliable tackler and has the quicks to stick with those guys in coverage. He doesn't have the speed to stick with WRs and doesn't have good instincts in deep zones. Terrell Burgess should be playing that role.

I also agree on Darious Williams. We're not putting him in spots to take advantage of his aggressiveness and ball skills. But there was progress today. Morris called a better game. Just don't use the dumb delayed blitzes with a QB like Brady.

Dude I lost my mind when I saw those delayed blitzes

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just don't use the dumb delayed blitzes with a QB like Brady.
Yeah the one where the safety came on the blitz at the snap from his deep spot was a terrible call. Should not be schemed in when Brady's the guy you're playing tbh.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Defense is making strides (lets hope Hollins injury not too severe) and if all they did was shore up the tackling, it would probably be back to top 10 rankings. Still, one wonders if like others are saying, moving Ramsey around even more these days and making some other players take over the STAR position at times might be putting too much on their plates (of those not named Ramsey).

Perhaps they too will get used to it.

Seems like Burgess isn't back from his injury yet or perhaps they don't trust him enough so I'd like to maybe see a bit more Nick Scott at two high than Rapp out there. Dude just cannot do a whole lot in space. Scott certainly has had a few plays there already this year.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I will say this for Morris, he is pretty good at making adjustments at halftime, especially this week.

As many have said those delayed blitzes with secondary players in the first half was atrocious.

Seriously, most of the time running the classic cover 2 we give up big plays, when he does his “ adapting” we play tight and aggressive 90% of the time.

I think he’s starting to get the feel with his calls and the players, and nothing helps cement that like a big win. I have high hopes from here on out for the D. I have zero concern with the O.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just a thought we've mentioned and reflected on...

Kenny Young was an afterthought in the Peters trade.

What this organization has done with trading picks for proven vets cannot be done without moves like this in return. Just fantastic ask (I think we asked for him in the trade, no?) and development of the player.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Williams needs to be more physical. I said the last year when we played the Bucs. He looses his footing too much when he gets bumped.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Go look at Kenny Young's line and then go look at Devin White's line.

The Rams approach to the position seems to be paying off, big time.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I still think some of these guys are adjusting to scheme. However it is the defensive coordinators job to play to his guys strengths