Post-Game 3 Defense Talk (and yes some whining)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Merlin is entirely correct when he talked about the secondary playing flat-footed. Morris is ultra-conservative and calls his game like a frightened DC. It's why I'm constantly harping about it's not the players, and it's not the scheme as much as how it's being played. Morris' lack of concern about contesting receptions IS A HUGE RED FLAG. He's got his players waiting and reacting instead of reading and anticipating.

This is the same thing as it was with the OL. Everyone blamed the players or maybe the scheme. But the truth is that it's not either of those. The problem lies with how the DC is playing, i.e. using his players. There is a huge difference in playing zone in a drop and react style (Morris) and a drop, read and anticipate style (Staley) and we are seeing it play out this year.

Now that OCs see how Morris plays his personnel, they can attack it and it will become less effective. Morris is conceding the aggressiveness and putting his players on the defensive and at a disadvantage. His players will always be a step or two behind because he's not allowing them to read and anticipate. Rapp is an exceptional SS if he's allowed to read and anticipate the play. Morris steals that not just from Rapp but from guys like Williams as well. There is something wrong when a coach degrades the performance of his players because he wants to play it safe. It's not a coincidence that suddenly Rapp and Williams seemingly can't play well.

The only player Morris has turned loose is Ramsey. I absolutely have no problem with moving Ramsey around. But WTF is he using Ramsey his best cover CB to rush the QB?? He weakens his secondary for a low percentage stunt?

The most telling stats IMO is that in 3 games the Rams have only 1 INT out of 131 passes attempted 91 were complete (70%). This is because Morris doesn't care if a pass is completed in the short zone he basically leaves it wide open. I'm sorry but that is simply mind-boggling that a DC would do that. For a QB like Murray who is defense reading challenged it's a godsend gift. In Murray's last game only about 8 of his 28 passes were outside of 10 yards with the vast majority within 7 or 8 yds. Murray is licking his chops seeing that.
Frightened???
The Rams are blitzing appreciably more than last year.. is that conservative?
The Rams have played 3 games.
Dude.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Merlin is entirely correct when he talked about the secondary playing flat-footed. Morris is ultra-conservative and calls his game like a frightened DC. It's why I'm constantly harping about it's not the players, and it's not the scheme as much as how it's being played. Morris' lack of concern about contesting receptions IS A HUGE RED FLAG. He's got his players waiting and reacting instead of reading and anticipating.

This is the same thing as it was with the OL. Everyone blamed the players or maybe the scheme. But the truth is that it's not either of those. The problem lies with how the DC is playing, i.e. using his players. There is a huge difference in playing zone in a drop and react style (Morris) and a drop, read and anticipate style (Staley) and we are seeing it play out this year.

Now that OCs see how Morris plays his personnel, they can attack it and it will become less effective. Morris is conceding the aggressiveness and putting his players on the defensive and at a disadvantage. His players will always be a step or two behind because he's not allowing them to read and anticipate. Rapp is an exceptional SS if he's allowed to read and anticipate the play. Morris steals that not just from Rapp but from guys like Williams as well. There is something wrong when a coach degrades the performance of his players because he wants to play it safe. It's not a coincidence that suddenly Rapp and Williams seemingly can't play well.

The only player Morris has turned loose is Ramsey. I absolutely have no problem with moving Ramsey around. But WTF is he using Ramsey his best cover CB to rush the QB?? He weakens his secondary for a low percentage stunt?

The most telling stats IMO is that in 3 games the Rams have only 1 INT out of 131 passes attempted 91 were complete (70%). This is because Morris doesn't care if a pass is completed in the short zone he basically leaves it wide open. I'm sorry but that is simply mind-boggling that a DC would do that. For a QB like Murray who is defense reading challenged it's a godsend gift. In Murray's last game only about 8 of his 28 passes were outside of 10 yards with the vast majority within 7 or 8 yds. Murray is licking his chops seeing that.
You shouldn't assume that Morris is not aware of and won't change his scheme to accommodate Murray's strengths.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is that the Rams have mostly played with a lead and they do tighten up near the goal line.

I expect the Rams to have a blitzing spy on Murray and the Rams will take away the underneath and force him to throw deep where we may pick it off.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the lack of interceptions is a valid point. There are always trade offs when calling a defense. We have been ok because of our offense. Let’s hope that continues.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just a thought we've mentioned and reflected on...

Kenny Young was an afterthought in the Peters trade.

What this organization has done with trading picks for proven vets cannot be done without moves like this in return. Just fantastic ask (I think we asked for him in the trade, no?) and development of the player.
How about getting Corbett for a 5th round draft pick?

How about doing our due diligence on David Edwards knee and getting him in the fifth round?

How about getting the production we've gotten out of supposed flop Leonard Floyd?

How about the drafting of Joseph Day?

Remember people said Aaron Donald would be too small to dominate in the pros?

We could go on and on with the Rams and their amazing scouting and drafting.