Post-Game 3 Defense Talk (and yes some whining)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think Darius was just outmatched against Mike Evans. Nothing more.

It’s hard to argue after the fact because the Rams D ultimately did a number on tb, but at the time...

It was obvious, wasn’t it? Ramsey did a great job last year vs evans, which is not an easy assignment—evans is a beast. DW struggled mightily, as any smaller DB will against evans.

Conversely, I was wondering why tb wasn’t using evans more and exploiting that matchup. God thing they didn’t.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
The Rams D has been excellent in 2021.
We are comparing Rams 2021 D to Rams 2020 D.
It's not an apples to apples comparison.
Rams D in 2020 was statistically better because the Rams O scored less points. Game strategies were different.
The Rams D in 2021 will not have the same statical success as last year because the Rams will score many more points in 2021.
The Rams are not worried about killing the clock and shortening games this year. The 2021 Rams will be successful in high scoring shootouts.
The statistics won't mean for me if Rams D in 2021 is better than 2020.
So far, I think that the Rams D in 2021 can be better.
With a hurting Donald, the Packers carved up the Rams D in January.
I think that the 2021 Rams D has the promise of being better in similar circumstances

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams D in 2020 was statistically better because the Rams O scored less points. Game strategies were different.

The Rams D in 2021 will not have the same statical success as last year because the Rams will score many more points in 2021.

:pointup:Good point @CanadaRam

The Rams defense will (hopefully) be playing with leads and larger leads at that. They will get attacked more by air when that happens.

Our defensive strategy much different. Our stats much different.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The Rams defense will (hopefully) be playing with leads and larger leads at that. They will get attacked more by air when that happens.

How many more SACKS will this 2021 Rams defense have ?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Not seeing how Rams scoring more hurts the D statistically. McVay will still run out the clock with a lead-- he just did. When teams have to pass and become one dimensional there will be more sacks and turnovers. Not all teams have Brady and the Bucs receivers, most are more likely to get crushed when the D can T off on them. Maybe there are some garbage time scores, but doubt the Rams will willingly allow much of this.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not seeing how Rams scoring more hurts the D statistically.

In theory we "gladly give up time killing yards" playing more prevent defense with larger leads.

So, yardage stats impacted in this example.

But... The counter is more sack opportunities. Etc.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@Elmgrovegnome
You also have to take in consideration with guys like Terrell Lewis is, production per snap.

Yes, there might be some games where he has to sit out and he won't be available.

Yes, they will have to watch his snap count closely to make sure he doesn't overwork his knee.

But so far his production has been off the charts - per snap.

You can't replace that with a healthy player who's average but available.

OLB is a position where they commonly rotate players anyway, so it's not that big of a stretch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That hit on Gronk was outstanding. Hope there's a lot more of that to come from 52.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That hit on Gronk was outstanding. Hope there's a lot more of that to come from 52.

Loved the hit. Absolutely clean and perfectly timed.

I can't wait to see what Lewis does next.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Loved the hit. Absolutely clean and perfectly timed.

I can't wait to see what Lewis does next.
That hit reminded me more of what a run stopping inside linebacker would enjoy doing rather than an outside linebacker.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That hit reminded me more of what a run stopping inside linebacker would enjoy doing rather than an outside linebacker.

Considering that Saban trains his defensive players on clean football, it doesn't surprise me at all.

oldnotdead

Legend
Merlin is entirely correct when he talked about the secondary playing flat-footed. Morris is ultra-conservative and calls his game like a frightened DC. It's why I'm constantly harping about it's not the players, and it's not the scheme as much as how it's being played. Morris' lack of concern about contesting receptions IS A HUGE RED FLAG. He's got his players waiting and reacting instead of reading and anticipating.

This is the same thing as it was with the OL. Everyone blamed the players or maybe the scheme. But the truth is that it's not either of those. The problem lies with how the DC is playing, i.e. using his players. There is a huge difference in playing zone in a drop and react style (Morris) and a drop, read and anticipate style (Staley) and we are seeing it play out this year.

Now that OCs see how Morris plays his personnel, they can attack it and it will become less effective. Morris is conceding the aggressiveness and putting his players on the defensive and at a disadvantage. His players will always be a step or two behind because he's not allowing them to read and anticipate. Rapp is an exceptional SS if he's allowed to read and anticipate the play. Morris steals that not just from Rapp but from guys like Williams as well. There is something wrong when a coach degrades the performance of his players because he wants to play it safe. It's not a coincidence that suddenly Rapp and Williams seemingly can't play well.

The only player Morris has turned loose is Ramsey. I absolutely have no problem with moving Ramsey around. But WTF is he using Ramsey his best cover CB to rush the QB?? He weakens his secondary for a low percentage stunt?

The most telling stats IMO is that in 3 games the Rams have only 1 INT out of 131 passes attempted 91 were complete (70%). This is because Morris doesn't care if a pass is completed in the short zone he basically leaves it wide open. I'm sorry but that is simply mind-boggling that a DC would do that. For a QB like Murray who is defense reading challenged it's a godsend gift. In Murray's last game only about 8 of his 28 passes were outside of 10 yards with the vast majority within 7 or 8 yds. Murray is licking his chops seeing that.