Poll: The Most Irreplaceable Member of the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Most Important Current Member of the Rams

• Total voters

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get in here and vote for AD, CGI! @CGI_Ram

ryh5xuO.gif
My face

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No single player can control wins and losses, that's why I mentioned the part about our defenses mostly being average with AD.

I think I'd be more inclined to say he's more valuable than McVay if every defense we fielded with him was top 10, but most were not
It appears that AD makes everyone more effective and gets folks paid...but you also have to have a scheme that makes sense and have fairly talented bit players who can take advantage of the extra attention AD receieves...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will have to read all posts in the morning...

But, your (@Loyal ) first post made me think; Snead

So that’s how I voted before reading anything.

My thinking; if Snead is responsible for the talent we’ve been drafting late rounds, he’s irreplaceable. The most irreplaceable piece would be the talent influx.

Now, I need to read to see how bad I’m off. Looks like I’m nearly alone here...
Nah honestly im with you

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did replace AD with a mediocre DE and our good defense got abused with our good HC. I think some people are assuming I'm dumping on McVay he's been an amazing upgrade at coach. But you have many good coaches in the NFL not all of them win it all. You only have one AD and I think in the end another coach could win with AD on the team and as it's built. I also think McVay can win without AD but he's gotta put somebody else special on that D.
Which game was this? I know the Rams played the season opener in 2017 without AD, they held the Colts to 9 points and 4 sacks.
Just to be clear, I think AD is arguably the best of all time at his position, and the same cant be said of McVay. I just happen to think a great coach can make more of a difference than an individual player can

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think my thoughts are more likely. I have proof that Brady has won Super Bowls outside of Tampa and Tampa had a losing record last year with Arians...without Tommy...
I get that, and TB gets all the fanfare, when the biggest difference from 19-20 is the defense going from 29th to 8th in defense, while the offense remained steady at #3 in both years. Offense wasnt the problem pre-Brady

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which game was this? I know the Rams played the season opener in 2017 without AD, they held the Colts to 9 points and 4 sacks.
Just to be clear, I think AD is arguably the best of all time at his position, and the same cant be said of McVay. I just happen to think a great coach can make more of a difference than an individual player can
The last game the Rams played when he wasn't himself and wasn't on the field as much as normal. I also think a great coach can make all the difference. But the question of the poll is who is the most irreplaceable. And to me a first ballot hall of famer is harder to replace than a good coach. There are many good coaches in the league there's one AD.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last game the Rams played when he wasn't himself and wasn't on the field as much as normal. I also think a great coach can make all the difference. But the question of the poll is who is the most irreplaceable. And to me a first ballot hall of famer is harder to replace than a good coach. There are many good coaches in the league there's one AD.
Never heard of a great coach of a team that wasnt winning games, but there are plenty of great players playing on teams that lose a lot of games. Fisher, by all accounts is a mediocre coach. AD never had a winning season with him. Is the only way to answer is when McVay coaches without AD? I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years or so to find out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never heard of a great coach of a team that wasnt winning games, but there are plenty of great players playing on teams that lose a lot of games. Fisher, by all accounts is a mediocre coach. AD never had a winning season with him. Is the only way to answer is when McVay coaches without AD? I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years or so to find out.
How would the Patriots answer the question? Eagles won a SB without a player on AD's level and still have the same coach and aren't still winning. The real answer is it takes a good coach with a good roster but that doesn't fit the poll.

Again the question was who is the most irreplaceable or the hardest to replace. You can replace both but which are you most likely to replace with equal production as a player or a coach. McVay or AD? There are a lot of coaches that can lead a team to the playoffs. How many AD's are there in the league?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It’s a tough question to answer because we will surely have another good coach after McVay just as we will have another good DT after Donald. However, I think we could Find another successful head coach before we find another Aaron Donald.

I agree, but am also split.

We've had SO MANY bad coaches before McVay...

Hope to never have to even contemplate that decision...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How would the Patriots answer the question? Eagles won a SB without a player on AD's level and still have the same coach and aren't still winning. The real answer is it takes a good coach with a good roster but that doesn't fit the poll.

Again the question was who is the most irreplaceable or the hardest to replace. You can replace both but which are you most likely to replace with equal production as a player or a coach. McVay or AD? There are a lot of coaches that can lead a team to the playoffs. How many AD's are there in the league?
You said it yourself, teams win the SB each year without an Aaron Donald level DE/DT. So that position isnt integral to success, historically speaking. Even if he is historically the best to play the position. Well, irreplaceable to me in this poll is in regards to the current rams team. As in, who is the piece which if removed would cause the team the most set back. From 1990-2016 we had 8 different head coaches (Not including 3 additional interim HC) and only 4 winning seasons in those 27 years. So I'm just not one to think that replacing a head coach is all that easy.
So I guess it's all in how one sees the meaning of irreplaceable.
Seems like a case of agree to disagree here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said it yourself, teams win the SB each year without an Aaron Donald level DE/DT.
Great coaches don't win the SB each year as well. Is it easier to replace a 1st ballot HoF player or a good coach? We also in those losing years aside from the GSOT years didn't have any players anywhere near the same universe as AD. But not uncoincidentally we had 4 or 5 HoF players at least on that team and we win. Those players leave and what happens? Sixteen years of shit teams is what happened to go along with bad coaching. Your argument makes my point as well.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thirty six good/great coaches have taken a team to the SB and lost and eight of those have lost multiple times.

Three players have 3 DPOY awards
Three players have 20+ sack seasons

Again you need both a good coach and a good roster with some great players to win a SB. The question wasn't who is most integral to winning a SB, who is better or who can we win without. It's who is the hardest to replace.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You win championships with great quarterbacks. But since we haven't seen our new quarterback play in this system, I can't vote for him yet. Aaron Donald is the best. But we still haven't won a championship. His position cannot impact a game like a quarterback can. So I had to vote McVay. He's done some great things and I think greater things are coming.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, we in fact had AD
Got it he's been playing for 20 years now. Cool story :) I'll refer you again to something I've said multiple times now. For a team to win which you seem to be arguing for you need both. The question in the thread title is not that. Thirty six coaches have taken a team to the SB but there haven't been thirty six guys do what AD has and can do. We're discussing two different things here.
Poll: The Most Irreplaceable Member of the Rams

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have to go with the guy that drafted Donald, continues to find talent through the entire draft and hired McVay.

Snead shouldn't be undervalued.
Neither should Stan.
He has done a great job since taking full ownership of the team.

We see how bad owners and GMs ruin entire organizations.
Our group up top, have done a stellar job.

Stan and Snead are both at the top for me.

Last edited: