Poll: The Most Irreplaceable Member of the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Most Important Current Member of the Rams

• Total voters

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well that's the point right? McVay replaced almost everyone and has had a winning season every year. If the coach didnt have the foresight to replace those players, we might still be living with 7-9 bullcrap.
I think if you replace Donald with a mediocre DE, the team wont win any championships, but would still be a decent team. IF you replace McVay with a mediocre coach, I dont think we win nearly as many games.
McVay also let Fossil out of the building.
You could tell during games, that McVay would get pissed out how aggressive Fossil was at times.

We all know all to well how that worked out.

We've also seen some very odd play calling at times this past year.

I dig McVay, but he doesn't walk on water.
In fact, I'm beginning to question whether his ego may get the best of him eventually.
Man, I hope it doesn't. I'd really like to see him successfully lead this team for many years.

Let just hope it's growing pains. He's still very young.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay also let Fossil out of the building.
You could tell during games, that McVay would get pissed out how aggressive Fossil was at times.

We all know all to well how that worked out.

We've also seen some very odd play calling at times this past year.

I dig McVay, but he doesn't walk on water.
In fact, I'm beginning to question whether his ego may get the best of him eventually.
Man, I hope it doesn't. I'd really like to see him successfully lead this team for many years.

Let just hope it's growing pains. He's still very young.
We’ll just let AD be a player/HC! ~ @Merlin [/blue]

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got it he's been playing for 20 years now. Cool story :) I'll refer you again to something I've said multiple times now. For a team to win which you seem to be arguing for you need both. The question in the thread title is not that. Thirty six coaches have taken a team to the SB but there haven't been thirty six guys do what AD has and can do. We're discussing two different things here.
Poll: The Most Irreplaceable Member of the Rams
I'm not arguing bro. There is no argument. Just different opinion. I think the Rams could still be a playoff team without Donald, and I dont think they would be without McVay. You see it different, that's cool. Im not trying to convince you of anything

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not arguing bro. There is no argument. Just different opinion. I think the Rams could still be a playoff team without Donald, and I dont think they would be without McVay. You see it different, that's cool. Im not trying to convince you of anything
We are arguing technically but it's not in a bad way and I didn't imply it in a bad way.

1613247292248.png

My stance is several people are twisting the title of the thread to mean something different it's all good I'm not mad at anybody you know me well enough :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You said it yourself, teams win the SB each year without an Aaron Donald level DE/DT. So that position isnt integral to success, historically speaking. Even if he is historically the best to play the position. Well, irreplaceable to me in this poll is in regards to the current rams team. As in, who is the piece which if removed would cause the team the most set back. From 1990-2016 we had 8 different head coaches (Not including 3 additional interim HC) and only 4 winning seasons in those 27 years. So I'm just not one to think that replacing a head coach is all that easy.
So I guess it's all in how one sees the meaning of irreplaceable.
Seems like a case of agree to disagree here.
I'm seeing it the same. I think one thing fans also overlook here is time. When you get hired as a head coach your firing is certain it's just a matter of when. There will come a time when diminished returns take over even if you're a guy who wins. Year to year it becomes more about nitpicking where things went wrong rather than the bottom line.

We see that now with McVay right here on this site. And it's worse on other sites. The guy got us to the divisional round with a 22nd ranked QB and an OL that was missing a center. All of us have our story in our heads on how that went down. That story is different depending on who you ask.

But if we were to fire him then it's a retool which is going to take time to get whoever they hire lined up with the pieces he wants. Then if you miss on the replacement coach you really see the impact over time. Get a few hires wrong and lo and behold next thing you know you're one of the losingest franchises of the decade. Even if you sort of half-miss on the coach by getting a mediocre type you're gonna piss time away realizing it and then correcting and building out of it.

This is why I say if you get a head coach who wins and keeps you current in league trends you're in business. Valuing that is important for a front office IMO, just understanding that what you really don't want is to be a team who is in head coach purgatory. The Rams are very close as an organization to where they wanted to go, which is building a Patriots west type model. I don't think their current approach is sustainable (whereas the Patriots' approach IS if you have a good enough head coach). But they may prove me wrong. And either way until I find out for sure I'm gonna enjoy this shit.

:beer2::biggrin:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
AD and it's not even close imo. We'll never see a defensive player like him again in our lifetime much less on the rams. Plenty of good coaches in the league and only 1 AD.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Well, irreplaceable to me in this poll is in regards to the current rams team. As in, who is the piece which if removed would cause the team the most set back.
If this is the gist of the question posed, it makes it almost impossible to know for sure the correct answer.
without knowing who the replacement HC would be , than I don't see how one could come up with a absolute answer.
If we assume McVays replacement is an average coach, then you would probably assume with the talent on hand
we would have a slightly above average season. 9-7 or 10-6?
If we remove Stafford then Mcvay is left with Wolford, I'm guessing. Without enough true evidence of Wolford's
ability, I'm assuming again a slightly above average season. 9-7 or 10-6?
Am I anywhere close on this or am I missing something?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't know if this has been mentioned but after thinking about this for a few days I think that the answer is Kronke, because without him the Rams might be in London right now!

No offense meant to our British fans! :fistbump:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's because I am just that good....
Your 2011 St Louis Rams just finished 2-14

The poll choices would look something like....
Steven Jackson
Sam Bradford
Robert Quinn
Chris Long
Steve Spagnuolo
Stan Kroenke
Billy Devaney
?????
iu

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Steven Jackson
Sam Bradford
Robert Quinn
Chris Long
Steve Spagnuolo
Stan Kroenke
Billy Devaney
?????
iu
can’t say why but that pic reminds me of a classic video

The Cure
lullaby

great vid, as far as I’m concerned, perfect song and video for this thread

that is all

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Steven Jackson
Sam Bradford
Robert Quinn
Chris Long
Steve Spagnuolo
Stan Kroenke
Billy Devaney
?????
iu
Pitt's Aaron Freakin Donald!

*bows...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Even the worst teams have one or two all pro to elite players. Their problems are idiocy at the coach/GM/owner spots.

Rams had SJack, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, etc in the dark ages but you know.

As long as Sean McVay and Les Snead continue to hit on their decisions, the players will fall in place.

I agree players are players.

It’s GM/Coaches that are running the show.

It’s the owner & Demoff who make the final decisions.

As Ram history shows we can all figure this out pretty easy.

Aaron Donald will go into the HOF.Many of Ram players have & will.
In fact it is actually a silly question.
In fact I could say Matthew Stafford in 2021 if your talking 2021 SoFI Rams winning the SuperBowl .

We all know what The NFL means if it comes to the Old History books.I just look back at the 2020 NFL season & think Stafford could be in his Prime?
History defines its self & as we look on the answer I believe will show.

I could look at LA Summer of2028 & think if it will actually happen in this Day & Time.Crazier things have happened in the Sports World.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that players are players.
Hall of Fame Players are HOFers.

Aaron Donald is better than all of them

tempests

Hall of Fame

Steven Jackson
Sam Bradford
Robert Quinn
Chris Long
Steve Spagnuolo
Stan Kroenke
Billy Devaney
?????

Probably #91