Place Kicker Thread: Rams sign Kai Forbath

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McVay on signing Kai Forbath

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. –– Bringing in kicker Kai Forbath was designed to create competition at the position, according to Rams head coach Sean McVay.

"We just wanted to bring in a guy that's kicked in this league with success, give ourselves an opportunity to evaluate," McVay said during a video conference before Thursday's practice.

Forbath started his NFL career as an undrafted free agent with the Dallas Cowboys in 2011, but it wasn't until the following year with the Washington Football Team that he got his first in-game experience. The UCLA product spent three seasons in Washington, overlapping with McVay's time in Washington. That familiarity made him an appealing target.

Forbath made 59 of 67 field goal attempts during that three-year span in Washington. Including his stints with New Orleans, Minnesota, Jacksonville and Dallas, he has made 131 of 151 career attempts across 81 career games.
"I would say we're just going to take it one day at a time," McVay said, when asked about an evaluation timeline.

Forbath will not get to the facility until Sunday because of the NFL's COVID-19 protocols. McVay said Forbath could "theoretically" kick for Los Angeles against the Chicago Bears on Monday night.

"Wanted to see some more consistency," McVay said. "Doesn't mean that it's over for Sam. We want to continue to evaluate him, but getting Kai in here was something we wanted to explore as well."

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems that due to COVID protocols we might need sloman for 1 more game which would make sense why they didn’t cut him and are pretending its just for competition.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Forbath would still be available by Monday. Who knows, maybe he’ll be the extra point kicker.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Man I've been reading this again and he's not showing up till Sunday lol.

Maybe we'll know something be4 the Miami game.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Sloman/Forbath or Forbath/Sloman ?

Not a fan of either kicker...

I'm not being a negative Nancy but I don't care for either of our kickers at this time.

My mind can be changed but at this time I have no confidence in either of them.

1*X5fAGuImxHgeyWoCeNVFEw.png

sport-football-footballers-american_footballer-tackle-tackled-smb060117_low.jpg

dang

Legend
Got to make XPs and FGs under 40. Misses distract from the game and fester like an infected sore.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Neither are inspiring tbh. Just get someone kicking "good enough" and try again after the season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Forbath would still be available by Monday. Who knows, maybe he’ll be the extra point kicker.
I think in this instance the COVID restrictions prevented the Rams from getting a good look at both of them in practice. So IMO the decision will be deferred.

What will be interesting is if the Rams make Forbath active. No reason to do that though unless they're more concerned with him than they have let on. So my guess is he won't be active and Sloman will do the job Monday night and we'll see where things fall.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Experimenting with rookie kickers is a bad idea for a team that can compete for the playoffs and is in a very tough division.

I was done with Sloman after two games, too many potentially close games ahead for this team to wait for a kicker to come around.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Experimenting with rookie kickers is a bad idea for a team that can compete for the playoffs and is in a very tough division.
Other than advocating for re-signing Zuerlein, I dont recall any available options. Liram and McGinness (both still FA) would have also been rookie kickers

As for the Forbath signing, and apologies if this was covered already, but I thought you couldnt sign a guy off a team's PS if you were playing them that week? And I also think that they need to keep Forbath on the 53 for at least 3 games?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As for the Forbath signing, and apologies if this was covered already, but I thought you couldnt sign a guy off a team's PS if you were playing them that week? And I also think that they need to keep Forbath on the 53 for at least 3 games?

If a team signs another player of another team's practice squad, they only have to sign him to their active roster and keep him on that roster for a minimum of three weeks. He does not have to play or be active on game day.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a team signs another player of another team's practice squad, they only have to sign him to their active roster and keep him on that roster for a minimum of three weeks. He does not have to play or be active on game day.
I thought there was a stipulation about playing a team that week, I guess I'm mistaken