Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Starter
I have wondered on this board whether the Rams coveted Eskridge, but now don't now believe so

The Rams must have known about the Seahawks interest yet stayed where they were: 'For Western Michigan receiver D'Wayne Eskridge, throughout the pre-draft process, the Seahawks were always the preferred destination'

As posted, a much more likely target was Jeremiah Owusu Karamoah. This is an interesting take on Eskridge. It is worth mentioning that he did not face the same competition as Tutu

'Eskridge was a highly productive player Western Michigan and offers intriguing speed, but this generally seems like a reach pick. Eskridge (5-foot-9, 190 pounds) is smallish, and, while fast, his 4.40-second 40 time isn't quite in the burner category you'd like to see from a smaller, older prospect like Eskridge, who already turned 24 this spring. If he earns snaps, he should be a matter of fantasy interest in Seattle if only because of Russell Wilson's presence, but it's not a given he fully displaces Freddie Swain right off the bat for the WR3 role'

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my favorite part of the after draft. Trying to decipher what happened. Do you have a source for the third point? I haven't seen it.

Not sure if this was posted yet

View: https://twitter.com/holderstephen/status/1388596548242579456?s=21

That's interesting. I didn't like his film but when I looked hard at him I was also looking for a Floyd replacement I think. As a 5T he's probably fine I just didn't care for his energy level if he was going to be on the edge.

He is a damn monster though physically. And the Colts are damn good at drafting so yeah I believe the Rams were interested in him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hater. jmo. :alol:
Honestly I find myself posing more of my ideas or concepts as questions lately more than ever before, just to avoid offending someone.

This is what I call the silly season on football forums. We talk about whatever we can just to have things to talk about. We hang onto every report of new players and blow them out of proportion. We project players without any real knowledge of their ability compared to pros. We also tend to get testy with the tedium until we get real camp reports and real games to watch.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Honestly I find myself posing more of my ideas or concepts as questions lately more than ever before, just to avoid offending someone.

This is what I call the silly season on football forums. We talk about whatever we can just to have things to talk about. We hang onto every report of new players and blow them out of proportion. We project players without any real knowledge of their ability compared to pros. We also tend to get testy with the tedium until we get real camp reports and real games to watch.
How could any reasonable poster be offended by someone who comes-up with a line like ... 'tend to get testy with the tedium'

That is absolute gold!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Attachments

• 48D3C878-4C97-475F-8C32-202278857E74.jpeg
    48D3C878-4C97-475F-8C32-202278857E74.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 49

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I try, but sometimes it just spills out. The older I get, I still don't wish to offend, but i'm more inclined to speak my peace than say, ... 20-30 years ago. I've come to realize i'm very opinionated, not in a way to have much of an effect on a football fan site, but I can come unglued on some political sites where nonsense is spewed almost without interruption. It makes me fear for my country, and time's running out for an old guy like me to see true reform. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Could be accurate but still seems like a bunch of guesses to form an article. I don't doubt the Rams were trying to move the pick or at least working the phones to play all angles. In the end, IMO, they had the guy they wanted at that spot and took him.

It would be crazy to assume that most GMs don't work the phone lines up to the time to make their selection.

I don't know what happened and I have my reservations on the pick. But my real disagreement was that them taking the entire time allotment to really mean much.

Doesnt matter to me really. We have Atwell and I'm sure most of us hope he was the right pick given the situation
My own suspicion is that it was Rondale Moore. They scouted Purdue last year. I’m sure they noticed him and of all three small receivers he has the biggest potential playmaking ability. Plus they never were connected to him.

I could see Little or Samuel too but felt all along that they wouldn’t be in reach. I thought Ojularu could be in reach but didn’t expect them to take him. I never thought Owusu Karamoah would get that close to the Rams. He’s the high character, instinctive chess piece that seems to fit the Rams mold.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It’s called connecting the dots. If Atwell was there guy all the way, then why use every second to make the pick. They know there board. So they were likely trying to make a trade.
You're entitled to your opinion, but the timing of a draft selection is not really a conclusive piece of information.

One article talking about it
Could be accurate but still seems like a bunch of guesses to form an article. I don't doubt the Rams were trying to move the pick or at least working the phones to play all angles. In the end, IMO, they had the guy they wanted at that spot and took him.

It would be crazy to assume that most GMs don't work the phone lines up to the time to make their selection.

I don't know what happened and I have my reservations on the pick. But my real disagreement was that them taking the entire time allotment to really mean much.

Doesnt matter to me really. We have Atwell and I'm sure most of us hope he was the right pick given the situation

Agree with this.

I have commented before that it is not really possible for us to know the Rams ultimate draft intentions. What we can see is what they did when presented with specific opportunities on the board. We then learn much more about their actual picks than about players lost to other teams or just not selected, because the Rams don't talk about the other players.

Still, there is a difference between what we actually know and what we really don't know.

The article above fits in the category of what we don't know for sure. It cites to the Day 3 McVay/Snead press conference. In the presser Snead is asked if the Rams' strategy was to trade back. He basically says that is always an option, except when you have someone you really want. Snead then says (paraphrase) " We actually thought about moving up a couple of times" but it didn't work out.

Nothing connects this comment to pick 57. In fact it appears to be part of Snead's discussion of Day 3 picks since that is what the pc was about.

The author of the article then spins this into unsourced speculation, based upon "predraft signals," about players who the Rams might have wanted high in the draft including above pick 57. The article does not even state that the Rams actually tried to trade up, just suggests they may have been "willing to trade."

This is pretty thin gruel. In fact, it appears to be a good example of how sports internet talking heads who are not working on the basis of real sources spin speculative stories. Ok, the dude is trying to make a living, but the buyer should beware.

By contrast, we know from first hand accounts that the Rams, and specifically Sean McVay, wanted Atwell. Peter Schrager, who frequently speaks to McVay, said live on NFL tv that McVay told him before the draft that "if we can get our hands on him, we’re going to take him because he is DeSean Jackson Jr.” (Cameron de Silva comment: "If you ever wondered how much pull Sean McVay has in the Rams’ draft room, the selection of wide receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round should give you a good idea.") Atwell himself also said on live tv that Yarber told him ‘Don’t be surprised if I don’t let you go past the second round.'

So while we may not know all that happened, we do know that the Rams/McVay really wanted Atwell.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're entitled to your opinion, but the timing of a draft selection is not really a conclusive piece of information.

Agree with this.

I have commented before that it is not really possible for us to know the Rams ultimate draft intentions. What we can see is what they did when presented with specific opportunities on the board. We then learn much more about their actual picks than about players lost to other teams or just not selected, because the Rams don't talk about the other players.

Still, there is a difference between what we actually know and what we really don't know.

The article above fits in the category of what we don't know for sure. It cites to the Day 3 McVay/Snead press conference. In the presser Snead is asked if the Rams' strategy was to trade back. He basically says that is always an option, except when you have someone you really want. Snead then says (paraphrase) " We actually thought about moving up a couple of times" but it didn't work out.

Nothing connects this comment to pick 57. In fact it appears to be part of Snead's discussion of Day 3 picks since that is what the pc was about.

The author of the article then spins this into unsourced speculation, based upon "predraft signals," about players who the Rams might have wanted high in the draft including above pick 57. The article does not even state that the Rams actually tried to trade up, just suggests they may have been "willing to trade."

This is pretty thin gruel. In fact, it appears to be a good example of how sports internet talking heads who are not working on the basis of real sources spin speculative stories. Ok, the dude is trying to make a living, but the buyer should beware.

By contrast, we know from first hand accounts that the Rams, and specifically Sean McVay, wanted Atwell. Peter Schrager, who frequently speaks to McVay, said live on NFL tv that McVay told him before the draft that "if we can get our hands on him, we’re going to take him because he is DeSean Jackson Jr.” (Cameron de Silva comment: "If you ever wondered how much pull Sean McVay has in the Rams’ draft room, the selection of wide receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round should give you a good idea.") Atwell himself also said on live tv that Yarber told him ‘Don’t be surprised if I don’t let you go past the second round.'

So while we may not know all that happened, we do know that the Rams/McVay really wanted Atwell.
So I am entitled to my opinion but actually I’m not? Nobody is? Maybe we should rename this site FOoRoD (Facts Only on Rams on Demand) just to clarify to everyone that opinions aren’t welcome, speculation is insignificant and if you post something it must only be based on factual information. Oh wait a minute, that’s what sites like Pro Football Reference are for.

I like bantering about opinions when there is very little else to do. The exchange of ideas gives me things to think about. I think you take it all too literally . Go to Profootballreference and read stats all day if you like facts. See how boring it gets. Or you could use your imagination and present your theories on how it went down.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
So I am entitled to my opinion but actually I’m not? Nobody is? Maybe we should rename this site FOoRoD (Facts Only on Rams on Demand) just to clarify to everyone that opinions aren’t welcome, speculation is insignificant and if you post something it must only be based on factual information. Oh wait a minute, that’s what sites like Pro Football Reference are for.

I like bantering about opinions when there is very little else to do. The exchange of ideas gives me things to think about. I think you take it all too literally . Go to Profootballreference and read stats all day if you like facts. See how boring it gets. Or you could use your imagination and present your theories on how it went down.
Not sure what the problem is? You're right about opinions and you are certainly welcome to say anything you want as far as I am concerned. You may be right about what happened in the draft. And anyway I agree that it's the offseason and that's it's a fun time to speculate. I personally enjoy trying to get to the bottom of things, I'm sure you do too.

I do think there is some utility in all of us making clear when we are stating what we believe to be facts versus our own opinions or speculations. The reason is what stuff posted takes on a life of its own, and things are taken later as facts which were never intended to be. This is NOT directed at you, just my view of the world.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not sure what the problem is? You're right about opinions and you are certainly welcome to say anything you want as far as I am concerned. You may be right about what happened in the draft. And anyway I agree that it's the offseason and that's it's a fun time to speculate. I personally enjoy trying to get to the bottom of things, I'm sure you do too.

I do think there is some utility in all of us making clear when we are stating what we believe to be facts versus our own opinions or speculations. The reason is what stuff posted takes on a life of its own, and things are taken later as facts which were never intended to be. This is NOT directed at you, just my view of the world.
It’s a fan forum. Everything posted here without links to facts, is opinion. That’s why when we claim a fact or tidbit that was presented as factual by another source, we provide a link.

Maybe we should petition the mods to put IMHO at the top corner of every post and reply so nobody forgets to type it in.

I’d recommend not being offended or trying to disprove an opinion by pointing out when we cannot factually know something because I think most of us realize that part. It’s more fun to just give your own take on the subject, extrapolate on the idea or give a good counter.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't buy it. The smarter members can correct me if i'm wrong, but every team has a big board ranked by talent, need & value etc right?
If Seattle took our guy at #56 what are the chances that McSnead had Atwell ranked right behind him among all available players at all positions on their board? Highly unlikely. So the assumption would have to be that McSnead panicked. Nah. This regime has drafted well for years. This isn't the Jets, Cards, Jags or Raiders.
I don't buy it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't buy it. The smarter members can correct me if i'm wrong, but every team has a big board ranked by talent, need & value etc right?
If Seattle took our guy at #56 what are the chances that McSnead had Atwell ranked right behind him among all available players at all positions on their board? Highly unlikely. So the assumption would have to be that McSnead panicked. Nah. This regime has drafted well for years. This isn't the Jets, Cards, Jags or Raiders.
I don't buy it.
Based on reports there were some guys they liked better but the board didn’t work right for them.I think if he tried to trade back at 57 then he was willing to let Atwell go. But it didn’t work out, so he took the BPA on his list. That doesn’t necessarily mean he didn’t prefer Eskridge or Moore over Atwell

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Who ever said you have to state known facts only and can't give an opinion? You COULD say that you are telling people they can't disagree with your opinion. It really doesn't make sense to me.

I think we all like bantering about opinions. Without them, would it even be a board?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Who ever said you have to state known facts only and can't give an opinion? You COULD say that you are telling people they can't disagree with your opinion. It really doesn't make sense to me.

I think we all like bantering about opinions. Without them, would it even be a board?
Exactly. You explained what we already know. That I can have an opinion but can never really know what happened because Snead and McVay will never really tell us all of the details. I think that goes without saying. Even writers try to cobble things together with bits and pieces of information. I'm not asking for facts. I didn't provide any facts.

It's odd that you choose to reply to what I said to another poster though. @FarNorth asked for facts. He brought it up twice. Maybe You two are them same poster?

1. I didn't provide a link
2. I didn't state that I read it (which usually requires a link)
3. It's post draft speculation
4. Many of us do it and exchange the ideas because its fun to think about, like a mystery or puzzle
5. Anyone can disagree with a hypothesis
6. Disagreeing solely based on the fact that we can never know the truth is not part of post draft speculation because that is a given. That fact shouldn't be used to suggest that we shouldn't voice our opinions on the subject without stating that its just our opinion, because its already a given that its just our opinion. I've seen this brought up in the past. People don't have to write JMO, because its not necessary, unless mods start to require it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have wondered on this board whether the Rams coveted Eskridge, but now don't now believe so

The Rams must have known about the Seahawks interest yet stayed where they were: 'For Western Michigan receiver D'Wayne Eskridge, throughout the pre-draft process, the Seahawks were always the preferred destination'

As posted, a much more likely target was Jeremiah Owusu Karamoah. This is an interesting take on Eskridge. It is worth mentioning that he did not face the same competition as Tutu

'Eskridge was a highly productive player Western Michigan and offers intriguing speed, but this generally seems like a reach pick. Eskridge (5-foot-9, 190 pounds) is smallish, and, while fast, his 4.40-second 40 time isn't quite in the burner category you'd like to see from a smaller, older prospect like Eskridge, who already turned 24 this spring. If he earns snaps, he should be a matter of fantasy interest in Seattle if only because of Russell Wilson's presence, but it's not a given he fully displaces Freddie Swain right off the bat for the WR3 role'

Eskridge went to the Senior Bowl and absolutely embarrassed the competition there. He dominated the practices. Dude is very, very fast. I fear the Seahawks got another Tyler Lockett.

TheTackle

Starter
Eskridge went to the Senior Bowl and absolutely embarrassed the competition there. He dominated the practices. Dude is very, very fast. I fear the Seahawks got another Tyler Lockett.
So did Isaiah Pead and look how that turned out :fistbump:

I am not saying you are wrong but that the Rams preferred Atwell. As do I now, perhaps due to home bias and Tavon PTSD. Though you might recall that I hated the Tavon pick at the time, and the trade-up even more, and argued with you for weeks that we should trade back (as long as not behind the Texans) and take Hopkins. Then again, I also thought Matt Elam would be a star.

Honestly, are you projecting? Before the senior bowl, Eskridge was a mid-round pick at best. Atwell was better regarded until news of his combine-weight got released. Note, most players lose weight when they train to be a track athlete for the combine. That said, like many here, I hope Atwell can survive through his first contract. If so, I believe we may have struck gold

Lockett is a beast and Rams-killer, so I get your point, but does Eskridge really have the route running skills that Tyler had when he arrived in the NFL?

I quote, ' Strengths: When watching film of Tyler Lockett, the first thing that jumps out is that he is always open. While Lockett is quick and posted top times in the 40-Yard Dash, 20 Yard Shuffle, and 60 Yard Shuffle, that is not the reason he is always open. The reason Lockett always finds himself open is because of his route running and hip speed'

That report together with his college production sounds more like Atwell to me but time will tell

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So how short is too short to be a successful NFL WR? Apparently 5'9" is still okay, judging by these highlights of the Ravens "Hollywood" Brown, who is also 5'9" (but considerably heavier than Tutu).

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKheIIDgi_s

So how light is too light to be a successful NFL WR...?

Gotta trust that McVay is on the cutting edge of the modern NFL. The rules have changed a LOT in the last few years in terms of protecting WR's.

TheTackle

Starter
So how short is too short to be a successful NFL WR? Apparently 5'9" is still okay, judging by these highlights of the Ravens "Hollywood" Brown, who is also 5'9" (but considerably heavier than Tutu).

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKheIIDgi_s

So how light is too light to be a successful NFL WR...?

Gotta trust that McVay is on the cutting edge of the modern NFL. The rules have changed a LOT in the last few years in terms of protecting WR's.

There are some sensational plays in these highlights, including jet sweeps and punt returns. Tutu might not be the fastest of all time, but he blurs across the screen and even appears to have a 3rd gear when needed!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJQrM4XXTA

rams1fan

Pro Bowler

Agree with this.

As I said, we'll likely never know. There are holes in virtually every theory or scenario regarding this pick.
of course. Its a discussion. Saying nobody knows is a given. So dont comment on whether stafford is an upgrade because as you say nobody knows