Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Here is the full article shared by @TheTackle

What set Tutu Atwell apart from wide receiver draft classmates with similar skillset for the Rams​

A few hours after the Rams selected Louisville wide receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft, general manager Les Snead said the team had identified Atwell and "and a few other receivers" who had the "rare, unique ability to explode off the ball and keep running fast the longer the down went" – In other words, players who fit the mold of the speedy, deep-threat wide receiver Snead and Rams head coach Sean McVay had been asked about acquiring this offseason to help create more explosive plays on offense.

Los Angeles seemingly already address the perceived need by signing DeSean Jackson. However, Snead said that "whether you have DeSean or not, you better attack while you can because it might be a couple drafts before you get a few of those guys, like Atwell.

So what made Atwell so valuable to the Rams? Area scout Billy Johnson (Southeast, Western), manager of football analytics Sarah Bailey, wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and director of scouting strategy James Gladstone offer insight below.

Measuring speed

Color-coded data collected by the Rams' analytics team paints a good picture of receivers who fit the aforementioned criteria for the Rams.

"We have a little bit new data this year, so it's hard to compare year over year," Bailey told theRams.com. "I don't know the number off-hand, (but) I do know that in terms of color-coding things, you see a lot of bright colors, which means faster. There seems to be a lot of fast receivers, which is not too surprising, in my opinion. Just based on the way college games are played and the way they stretch the field, you do see faster speeds in general and it has been evolving even moreso."

Speed values can come from various sources, according to Bailey, such as through scouts and coaches grading a prospect's speed in play by a visual eye test, actual data received from prospects' pro days, or some film data to get a complete view of a prospect beyond traditional measurements.

However, not all of those values are the same and translate to from college to the NFL. The context of those values also matters.

"So for us, it was interesting to be able to see all of those different thresholds, and then it comes to a matter of, 'Okay, well, which of those speed variables are actually important, and which matter at the next level?'" Bailey said. "Because you can have 30 guys run 19 miles per hour, but does that matter? What type of play was it? And breaking it down so that you can really figure out and differentiate between who is fast, and then who's fast, fast in certain situations. So that's really fun to do, and just looking at, who uses their speed to create separation, and how does that separation equate to their completions? So really taking it to the next level, but keeping in mind that it's speed at the at the basis that's helping to influence those next steps."

One way to understand that context is GPS trackers, which colleges have been using during practices and games to record data such as player speed, player distances by speed, acceleration, deceleration, directional changes, orientation changes and explosive moments. It creates a more holistic view compared to traditional drills like the 40-yard dash, which effectively measures straight-line speed and acceleration and may not accurately reflect how a player uses it in a game-like setting.

A prospect's 40-time may confirm how fast a scout or coach believes that player plays from the eye test, but the number of variables from GPS data helps provide more thorough confirmation.

According to Johnson, the Rams' analytics team dubbed Atwell the fastest player in college football this year based on GPS data and how they track players.

"The way he outruns angles, and the way he covers ground, I mean it stands out," Johnson told theRams.com. "I really think he's one of the fastest guys I covered. This year we had (Alabama wide receiver) Jaylen Waddle and guys like that, but he was very comparable. Sometimes you think you're fast-forwarding the film because he's running that fast. It was pretty evident when you turned (the tape) on that he plays at a different speed than most."

Putting it all together

Yarber has more than two decades of experience coaching wide receivers at both the college and NFL levels. In evaluating Atwell, he saw a receiver with both "elite" quickness off the line of scrimmage and top-end speed – a rare combination of traits in receivers coming out of college.

"Usually you don't find that combination in guys," Yarber told theRams.com. "Usually they're quick and they probably don't have the top-end speed. Or, they have the top-end speed but they're not quick enough to get off the line of scrimmage, they're just straight-line guys. He has the good combination of both that you rarely see in receivers. He has elite quickness, elite start and stop. A lot of times those fast guys can't stop, but this guy can stop on a dime. At the line of scrimmage, he's as quick as two cats, he's going to make you miss in a phone booth. That's what he brings."

According to Yarber, some of the other receivers he evaluated in this year's class who had the speed didn't have the quickness off the line of scrimmage to actually utilize it. The ability to do both is what separated Atwell from the rest, in addition to his ability to track the ball.

"Catching the ball over his outside eye, tracking it like a centerfielder, he was one of the elite ball-trackers in the draft," Yarber said. "There were some guys with top-end speed, but he's on the top of the list, though."

That innate ability to combine ball tracking with speed was also what Rams director of scouting strategy James Gladstone said made the team confident about the type of player they were acquiring, knowing that those skills came naturally and did not have to be taught.

Ultimately, Gladstone sees that skillset blending in well with what the rest of Los Angeles' receivers bring to the position group, and worth selecting Atwell with the 57th overall pick based on where they expect their future selections will be slotted.

"Thinking beyond just 2021, we're now in a position where we have a group of receivers who are very complementary in what they have to offer, and won't necessarily ever put ourselves in a position where we're forced to address that need, because typically those are the type of players that go earlier in the draft than what we anticipate we'll be selecting at moving forward," Gladstone said. "So when you do face them, and you are seeing them staring at you in those mid- to late-second round picks, it's hard to to pass that up when you know the future picks aren't necessarily going to be early."
So it would be interesting to know if Eskridge was above Atwell on the Rams draft board. Or were the Rams throwing a smokescreen around Atwell?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks really appreciate it. Can I ask how you view their ball tracking skills? I think I read they really liked atwells ball tracking as a deep threat and that was one of the things that DeSean does really well.

I wonder if speedy physical guy reminded them of brandin cooks and was like... Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get him I'm OK with being physical at the right times and just taking the yards given/go down/out of bounds at the other times. I read somewhere that the reason frank gore can still play is because he's so good at reading hits that he takes the least damage possible.
Tutu is better at tracking with his back to the QB (over the shoulder). Eskridge is better when facing the QB.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Very revealing. They couldn’t trade out of the pick so Atwell was the fall back. If they didn’t see the value match up then go with a safer pick imo.
I would have thought they’d have a trade partner lined up if they intended to trade back all along. This would hint at being caught off guard, which likely means they did not see either Rondale Moore or Eskridge being picked just ahead of them.

Similar to Snead’s shock when the Cushenberry pick was made.
With all due respect, you are piggybacking on one hypothesis to another. Are there facts to support this theory?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Thanks really appreciate it. Can I ask how you view their ball tracking skills? I think I read they really liked atwells ball tracking as a deep threat and that was one thing that DeSean does really well.

Re. ball tracking skills, I bet the scouts analyzed one play in particular: the TD bomb vs. Kentucky. On this play, Atwell looked for the ball over his right shoulder, but then had to adjust mid-route and find the ball over his left shoulder. That is a pretty difficult trick to pull off. (I remember Kupp trying it in one big game but he couldn't hold on. I remember Sammy Watkins doing it once for us too, looked spectacular.)

Anyway, the play is at the 1:23 mark in the link below. He turned his head somewhat early in the route, but still, Tutu made it look easy.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEraA07YMsw

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With all due respect, you are piggybacking on one hypothesis to another. Are there facts to support this theory?
It’s called connecting the dots. If Atwell was there guy all the way, then why use every second to make the pick. They know there board. So they were likely trying to make a trade.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It’s called connecting the dots. If Atwell was there guy all the way, then why use every second to make the pick. They know there board. So they were likely trying to make a trade.
Maybe. Maybe not. Remember, they took their full allotment of time selecting Jared Goff as I recall.

Plus, there was the issue of Snead and McVay calling from two different locations. Perhaps, the got the kinks out for the remainder of the draft.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
although the inappropriate icon prompts a moderators intervention,
Not exactly but we do consider them negative marks if a member has several of them.

Regardless, lets move on and as @Mojo Ram pointed out, we're here to discuss the Rams and other interesting/fun off topic subjects.... and of course boobies and booties.:cool: When members start going after each other, we're heading down the wrong path.

Let's not take ourselves or each other too seriously - yeah?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You mean like Jacksonville with the #1 overall? Clearly they were trying to make a trade.

I wouldn't put too much stock into how long a team takes to make their pick. It would be dumb to rush to the podium with any pick - especially if other teams are making offers for your position in the draft. We don't know anything for sure. They could have both had TuTu (said it again @Memento :yuky:) as their guy and been fielding calls at the same time. They could have also been trying to make deals that didn't move the needle for other teams because they didn't want to move down enough that they would lose their guy. We'll likely never really know.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What is wrong with hypothesis. The board is
You mean like Jacksonville with the #1 overall? Clearly they were trying to make a trade.

I wouldn't put too much stock into how long a team takes to make their pick. It would be dumb to rush to the podium with any pick - especially if other teams are making offers for your position in the draft. We don't know anything for sure. They could have both had TuTu (said it again @Memento :yuky:) as their guy and been fielding calls at the same time. They could have also been trying to make deals that didn't move the needle for other teams because they didn't want to move down enough that they would lose their guy. We'll likely never really know.
This started with the following reports.

1. Rams told Atwell they would not fall out of the second
2. Rams feared trading down because they got wind of another team going to select him
3. Rams tried to trade up for some mystery player.

1. and 3. cannot both be true. If Rams had traded up from #57 they would not have the capital to later trade back into the second let alone a spot guaranteeing them Atwell.

So obviously these are not facts but conjectures. I said everyone gets to play the game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

2. Rams feared trading down because they got wind of another team going to select him

1. and 3. cannot both be true. If Rams had traded up from #57 they would not have the capital to later trade back into the second let alone a spot guaranteeing them Atwell.

So obviously these are not facts but conjectures. I said everyone gets to play the game.
As I said, we'll likely never know. There are holes in virtually every theory or scenario regarding this pick.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
As I said, we'll likely never know. There are holes in virtually every theory or scenario regarding this pick.
And that is what message boards are for. Entertainment. If all discussions needed to be based on verifiable facts there would hardly be any messages.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It does seem like the slot types with some juice to them have gravitated into round 2 range, that teams value that playmaking ability highly. I mean I had Eskridge well into round 3 and sometimes round 4 in all the sites I use to check for reference on these guys. I don't think I saw one listing where they had him in round 2. Same with Tutu who was listed generally IIRC after him.

The Rams talking about him as a rarity at that draft spot range, that they wanted to get the type of guy they usually can't get that late, insinuates to me that they care a lot less about size and position and more about speed and RAC and explosive play potential. And there's a good chance there's a league trend that direction too. After all flipping the field is flipping the field. Taking a third and long pass underneath at your 20 yard line and gaining 30 yards is probably pretty similar to a turnover in that they're the types of results that win games.

I'm definitely concerned with this guy's size. It's going to be interesting to see if he can be a difference maker or just some gadgety little bastid that opens things up for other players.

xander47

Rookie

This is my favorite part of the after draft. Trying to decipher what happened. Do you have a source for the third point? I haven't seen it.

Not sure if this was posted yet

View: https://twitter.com/holderstephen/status/1388596548242579456?s=21

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yet they were getting excited that Jeremiah Owusu Karamoah or Azeez Olujari may get within their reach, when they were still there in the 50’s.

Maybe we will never know the whole truth but it’s fun to cobble it all together with the bits and pieces we are given. If it offends you then put me on ignore. I try to figure out their moves every year. I could put JMO on every post but that is already implied since this is a forum and I cannot provide a source.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yet they were getting excited that Jeremiah Owusu Karamoah or Azeez Olujari may get within their reach, when they were still there in the 50’s.

Maybe we will never know the whole truth but it’s fun to cobble it all together with the bits and pieces we are given. If it offends you then put me on ignore. I try to figure out their moves every year. I could put JMO on every post but that is already implied since this is a forum and I cannot provide a source.
Easy now. It takes a lot to "offend" me on a board. I just dont agree with your assertion that clearly we were trying to trade out rather than take Atwell where we did.

Side note. Moderators don't put people on ignore. It would make it very difficult to do our "job".

Cheers.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
This is my favorite part of the after draft. Trying to decipher what happened. Do you have a source for the third point? I haven't seen it.

Not sure if this was posted yet

View: https://twitter.com/holderstephen/status/1388596548242579456?s=21

One article talking about it

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

One article talking about it
Could be accurate but still seems like a bunch of guesses to form an article. I don't doubt the Rams were trying to move the pick or at least working the phones to play all angles. In the end, IMO, they had the guy they wanted at that spot and took him.

It would be crazy to assume that most GMs don't work the phone lines up to the time to make their selection.

I don't know what happened and I have my reservations on the pick. But my real disagreement was that them taking the entire time allotment to really mean much.

Doesnt matter to me really. We have Atwell and I'm sure most of us hope he was the right pick given the situation