Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is going to be a fun thread to look back on if they hit big on this kid. :alol:
Yeah those guys that assume people who didn't like this pick don't like the player and will root against him will always embrace that inner child and attempt to rub opinions in noses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah those guys that assume people who didn't like this pick don't like the player and will root against him will always embrace that inner child and attempt to rub opinions in noses.
I meant that in a funny way OS. But I can see you're still in butthurt mode. Hang in there my man things will get better. :part:

xander47

Rookie
A WR who spent his career in the ACC who is only 153 pounds at 21 isn't going to jump to 185 pounds in the next 3 years, barring a completely unexpected growth spurt. Best case scenario, Tutu gets up into the 165 to 170 pound range. And that might be too much to ask. Regardless, being small doesn't mean he'll necessarily fail. It's just a risk. I could very well be wrong about Eskridge and Tutu. I hope I am. Because fuck the Seahawks.
What's the difference between the two if you don't mind me asking?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I meant that in a funny way OS. But I can see you're still in butthurt mode. Hang in there my man things will get better. :part:
My butt is fine but I appreciate your concern. I'd like to introduce you to something a friend of ours uses a lot and that's blue font. Generally jokes are put in that a lot to indicate you aren't serious in a comment. But since you're confused about butts I can see why you're confused about a blue additive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My butt is fine but I appreciate your concern. I'd like to introduce you to something a friend of ours uses a lot and that's blue font. Generally jokes are put in that a lot to indicate you aren't serious in a comment. But since you're confused about butts I can see why you're confused about a blue additive.
As usual you're way off here. I didn't intend to use blue font. I meant that it would be fun to look back and see who was right and wrong on this divided pick. And I meant it in a fun way, in that I don't really give a fuck if I'm right or wrong.

Whereas you like to act like a fucking child when you're wrong. Big difference between you and I my man. When I say you're in butthurt mode it's the mode you've been in since Goff was traded. Snide comments and bullying tendencies have always been things you do but when you're in your butthurt mode you squeal and cry and take offense, make stupid comments on the blast box on the side of the home page, and otherwise let all your lesser sides show.

I have always liked you best when you're in the team support mode. But this is why I say things will get better. Once you realize that Goff is a mediocre QB and allow yourself to enjoy the team even as constructed with players you didn't want, I think you'll get back to the old OS who I like much more. But if not, well, I don't give a flying fuck what you think dude. And I'm always gonna call you on your whiny bullshit and snide comments you major in.

That clear enough for you? Cheers dude. :biggrin:(y)

Psycho_X

Legend
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There needs to be less posting about what others & everyone else is posting & "thinking" on this board. How about don't worry about it and stick to being a member discussing topics. This includes myself who has delved into that once or twice.

If any of that is unclear feel free to PM myself or any of the other moderators.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I haven't seen the reference you mention about the Rams wanting those guys, but no doubt they are very good prospects. When you pick at 57 you probably have a wish list but are prepared to be flexible.

Anyway here's what Jordan Rodrigues said about Rams picking Atwell in the Athletic:

Pick No. 57: Tutu Atwell, receiver, Louisville

An interesting note about this pick was that Seattle picked D’Wayne Eskridge at No. 56 (Eskridge has similar traits). Some fans speculated that Seattle jumped the Rams on the target. But Atwell shared post-pick that receivers coach Eric Yarber informed him pre-draft that the Rams were not planning on letting him fall out of the second round, indicating that Atwell was a top choice there.

One source with knowledge of the Rams’ evaluation process went so far as to say that Atwell was actually one of head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead’s favorite players in the draft class. The source said that the Rams also got wind of a team below them with their sights on Atwell, so they knew they couldn’t trade out of the pick or risk losing him.

Adding Atwell,
plus two other receivers who do very different things from his own skill set, further pointed toward the Rams’ efforts to target traits that are complementary to their existing roster, instead of focusing on ranking position or need, at times.
The problem I have with the notion that the rams were not willing to trade downbecause they could loose atwell is that they used every second of the clock

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
As usual you're way off here. I didn't intend to use blue font. I meant that it would be fun to look back and see who was right and wrong on this divided pick. And I meant it in a fun way, in that I don't really give a fuck if I'm right or wrong.

Whereas you like to act like a fucking child when you're wrong. Big difference between you and I my man. When I say you're in butthurt mode it's the mode you've been in since Goff was traded. Snide comments and bullying tendencies have always been things you do but when you're in your butthurt mode you squeal and cry and take offense, make stupid comments on the blast box on the side of the home page, and otherwise let all your lesser sides show.

I have always liked you best when you're in the team support mode. But this is why I say things will get better. Once you realize that Goff is a mediocre QB and allow yourself to enjoy the team even as constructed with players you didn't want, I think you'll get back to the old OS who I like much more. But if not, well, I don't give a flying fuck what you think dude. And I'm always gonna call you on your whiny bullshit and snide comments you major in.

That clear enough for you? Cheers dude. :biggrin:(y)

Often enough in this world of ours, trouble finds us whatever we are doing. Both OS and you are prolific contributors to this site, differences of opinion are bound to crop up occasionally, ... for me, the way you both approach our teams' 'progress' is always interesting, and there is little doubt how your personalities differ when making your points. Merlin comes across as more free spirited whereas OS may be ROD's Archie Bunker. Regardless, both of you have contributed mightily in making ROD indispensable to Rams fans.

Now, I have given Merlin a 'Thread Winner' icon, but that is only to counteract the 'Inappropriate' icon another poster offered, which I found inappropriate in itself. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Be Nice GIF by StickerGiant

We're all Rams fans, right? Still following this team, right?

I'd absolutely love to eat a giant Kentucky Fried Crow when it comes to Atwell. Let's just hope that everyone does well until they don't, okay? And let's hope for more of this:

So let's go for a fucking Super Bowl, and let's all get on the ride, okay?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now, I have given Merlin a 'Thread Winner' icon, but that is only to counteract the 'Inappropriate' icon another poster offered, which I found inappropriate in itself. jmo.
Just curious how you find my use of a site feature inappropriate? Personal attacks are against the rules and therefore warranting of the inappropriate feature. That’s literally the point of it. calling someone a “fucking child” saying they “squeal” “cry” and “make stupid comments” by my estimation was a personal attack about a poster which is why I gave the reaction I did. How do you estimate that my actions were inappropriate??

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Just curious how you find my use of a site feature inappropriate? Personal attacks are against the rules and therefore warranting of the inappropriate feature. That’s literally the point of it. calling someone a “fucking child” saying they “squeal” “cry” and “make stupid comments” by my estimation was a personal attack about a poster which is why I gave the reaction I did. How do you estimate that my actions were inappropriate??

I see the problem more as some posters 'getting away with' a barrage of inappropriate behavior, bullying and just playing the 'mean girl' role while others look away from it. OS appears an angry man, Merlin called him on it, ... true that unfortunate things are said, but I can understand blowing a gasket occasionally when this kind of behavior persists. I'd have preferred Merlin & OS work it out themselves, although the inappropriate icon prompts a moderators intervention, I didn't find that necessary. jmo.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The problem I have with the notion that the rams were not willing to trade downbecause they could loose atwell is that they used every second of the clock
I kind of think that you’re overthinking things here. Not just you but others making this comment. There are a ton of factors, explanations, etc. for them taking that long.
For example: very possible they had an offer or two for a trade down and they were analyzing the board for the picks before them to see if it’s possible those teams will pass on Tutu and he’d make it to the trade down. Likely some debate for such since that’s a guessing game. Ultimately they decided to stay put and make the pick.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see the problem more as some posters 'getting away with' a barrage of inappropriate behavior, bullying and just playing the 'mean girl' role while others look away from it. OS appears an angry man, Merlin called him on it, ... true that unfortunate things are said, but I can understand blowing a gasket occasionally when this kind of behavior persists. I'd have preferred Merlin & OS work it out themselves, although the inappropriate icon prompts a moderators intervention, I didn't find that necessary. jmo.
Fair enough. Cheers brotha

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's the difference between the two if you don't mind me asking?
Both are very, very fast. Eskridge is 5'8" 185 and a former defensive player. He plays the game the physicality and violence you expect of a defensive guy now playing offense. Tutu might have a small edge in terms of speed, but Eskridge is extremely fast himself. Both are very quick. Eskridge is the more polished route runner at this stage imo. Eskridge catches the ball and plays through contact better. Eskridge was also an elite returnman in college. Frankly, the biggest differences for me are the weight (both are 5'8", but Eskridge is 30+ pounds heavier) and Eskridge being much more physical.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Very revealing. They couldn’t trade out of the pick so Atwell was the fall back. If they didn’t see the value match up then go with a safer pick imo.
I would have thought they’d have a trade partner lined up if they intended to trade back all along. This would hint at being caught off guard, which likely means they did not see either Rondale Moore or Eskridge being picked just ahead of them.

Similar to Snead’s shock when the Cushenberry pick was made.

xander47

Rookie
Both are very, very fast. Eskridge is 5'8" 185 and a former defensive player. He plays the game the physicality and violence you expect of a defensive guy now playing offense. Tutu might have a small edge in terms of speed, but Eskridge is extremely fast himself. Both are very quick. Eskridge is the more polished route runner at this stage imo. Eskridge catches the ball and plays through contact better. Eskridge was also an elite returnman in college. Frankly, the biggest differences for me are the weight (both are 5'8", but Eskridge is 30+ pounds heavier) and Eskridge being much more physical.
Thanks really appreciate it. Can I ask how you view their ball tracking skills? I think I read they really liked atwells ball tracking as a deep threat and that was one of the things that DeSean does really well.

I wonder if speedy physical guy reminded them of brandin cooks and was like... Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get him I'm OK with being physical at the right times and just taking the yards given/go down/out of bounds at the other times. I read somewhere that the reason frank gore can still play is because he's so good at reading hits that he takes the least damage possible.