Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I gather it’s not all teams that use the analytics to the same extent that the Rams do. Most teams don’t take it as far as the Rams do.
Is this based on anything or just your guess?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Okay; how about deep data, then?

Sure... The use of analytics has been around a while..., but the types of data is new and expanding.

Use of cameras and such to time movements... and with years to accumulate that data into a deep enough data set for decisions.

I don’t think anyone disagrees it’s not totally new, but the type of data and how it’s matured with the Rams seems to be what people are talking about, IMO.

Agree- Like I said about Kittles.The Rams must not have had that kind of info on him just 5 years ago ?

The cost & the amount of money going into it is incredible.

Women and getting so much into the science of it as well.Woman have been around since man,yet your finding the growth of woman in sports. - Data doesn’t lie.It might not tell the whole truth either.There are some many variables.

Sleep study have been around for along time.The data that is coming out only increases.

I don’t know shit,but CT- whatever damage in the NFL/college already have started to increase more than just your head element of it ??
PTSD ?? What do I know -Jack-S”””
Memory does comeback from my experience as a young child,because I think the Brain is still developing.Later in life not so much.
Now I’m lucky,just selective memory loss.
—Mental health week just passed.wish everyone’s loved ones well.Hope Mom’s are remembered for there Love even if they don’t remember you.Either way 2021 deserves hugs from the lost year of 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I mean What I’m getting at is Sean McVay surely uses data analytics as does your local convenient store. It’s not like McVay has some magical query or way to collect data, he has what everyone has. It’s just a piece of what he does, he’s also a damn good talent evaluator and damn good at applying the aforementioned data.

I keep reading comments that seem as if they think “analytics” are something unique to McVay and that they are his magical formula. “ we woulda never made this pick if McVay didn’t have his analytics” is the same as “we woulda never made this pick if the rams didn’t have scouts”.

I just remember when everyone was calling Sean Mcvay a Genius. He is far from that,but a heck of a good coach.
He is a good people person & is not a me type coach. He has his moments,but he takes responsibility & admits a lot of times when he is wrong.Will even take a punch if he’s not.Will protect & support his players.

nighttrain

Legend
I don’t think they were counting on Chase but the two I mentioned went in the 50s. It’s even possible that they would have chosen Eskridge. It’s all just spin.

But your right. At 57 Atwell was their guy.
Atwell being 21 vs Eskridge at 24 is huge to me, i like Tutu all day just because of age
train

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Size still bothers me.

His size bothers a lot of people. His height and weight both. I did read that he tends to avoid contact. Ducking underneath tacklers to avoid the big hits. Going out of bounds. Which is probably a good thing. It can keep him on the field longer. As far as being a small target, I don't think that should be an issue. Steve Smith was about an inch taller and had a very good career. He was more stout than Atwell. I don't think Atwell will ever be the kind of receiver Smith was. He won't get as many snaps. He'll be the guy who gets in certain packages. McVay will try to get him the ball in space.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His size bothers a lot of people. His height and weight both. I did read that he tends to avoid contact. Ducking underneath tacklers to avoid the big hits. Going out of bounds. Which is probably a good thing. It can keep him on the field longer. As far as being a small target, I don't think that should be an issue. Steve Smith was about an inch taller and had a very good career. He was more stout than Atwell. I don't think Atwell will ever be the kind of receiver Smith was. He won't get as many snaps. He'll be the guy who gets in certain packages. McVay will try to get him the ball in space.
Steve Smith was/is a scary alpha male too. The ultimate "Likes To Fight" guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I recall how easy it was to knock Tavon off his routes and basically erase him from the play. I both wondered frequently, why not use him as a deep threat. I’m going to guess his size even affected that use. Jamming Tutu at the line may just slow him down enough to keep him from being a threat. As a Jet sweep option I think he’d be open to injury

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I recall how easy it was to knock Tavon off his routes and basically erase him from the play. I both wondered frequently, why not use him as a deep threat. I’m going to guess his size even affected that use. Jamming Tutu at the line may just slow him down enough to keep him from being a threat. As a Jet sweep option I think he’d be open to injury
These are valid concerns. As far as him getting moved off of routes, i keep going back to the fact that Austin was being schemed open by unimaginative OC's. McV had him one year in '17 but IMO Austin was fairly beat up and drained of confidence at that point.

I'm more concerned over his size(injury) than i am him not getting good looks & touches.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If your going to jam a guy with Atwells speed, you'd better make damn certain you get hands on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Atwell being 21 vs Eskridge at 24 is huge to me, i like Tutu all day just because of age
train
I prefer Eskridge because he's a better player, is a former defensive guy who plays a physical game, and is a much stouter dude (185 pounds).

TexasRam

Legend
Here is a long list of 149 lb WR’s that have had success at the NFL level...

..... searching database

..... loading results

No results found.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

..... searching database

..... loading results

No results found.
Yeah, it's a risk. Hopefully, he's the exception.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

..... searching database

..... loading results

No results found.
He's 160 before his first NFL offseason.

Perhaps we can wait and see what his playing weight is when he is 22, after his second year of professional S&C.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, it's a risk. Hopefully, he's the exception.
Big risk of a second round pick. I have never been a fan of using high risk or raw picks that early. After round 4 sure. Right now I would have been very happy if the traded back and let whichever team was behind them pick TuTu. I hope he changes my mind

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I prefer Eskridge because he's a better player, is a former defensive guy who plays a physical game, and is a much stouter dude (185 pounds).
I wonder if the Rams offensive coaches pushed that pick or would they not have been in the Rams draft meetings before they left?

The Seahawks picked another player high on the Rams draft board last year too. Jordan Brooks. I doubt he ever reaches the Rams but is it a coincidence? Sneaky Pete has an insider since his college days are long gone.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Eskridge is also over 2.5 years older than Tutu. He is 24 now while tutu is 21. So how good and how big was eskridge 2.5 years ago?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eskridge is also over 2.5 years older than Tutu. He is 24 now while tutu is 21. So how good and how big was eskridge 2.5 years ago?
Bigger than Atwell now as a senior in high school. Also the age difference doesn’t bother me and i doubt it does to the Rams who use first round picks to trade for veterans.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is going to be a fun thread to look back on if they hit big on this kid. :alol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A WR who spent his career in the ACC who is only 153 pounds at 21 isn't going to jump to 185 pounds in the next 3 years, barring a completely unexpected growth spurt. Best case scenario, Tutu gets up into the 165 to 170 pound range. And that might be too much to ask. Regardless, being small doesn't mean he'll necessarily fail. It's just a risk. I could very well be wrong about Eskridge and Tutu. I hope I am. Because fuck the Seahawks.