Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
McVay and Snead have expressed a lot of confidence in our starting OL, so I believe any additions we make are likely to be waiver cuts that add depth to our own practice squad. I'm not seeing us purchasing a CAP Casualty free agent offensive lineman unless something really goes wrong with Allen or Shelton in camp or we get hit with an injury. jmo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You nailed it there, bubba. I’m in comp agreement with your take.

I’m really looking forward to those camp reports, man. Thanks in advance.

I look forward too, also the key will as always be health along the front, but Bobby Evans sure packs a wallop and could become a road grader, just needs to hold up in pass pro.

…..

Legend
They’ve maintained all along, as far back as the 2020 draft, that they like where they are with the line. This draft certainly supports that.

I also believe they’ve adopted a strategy with regards to OLine personel and they are sticking to that. I think this staff has seen a trend where no matter where they get the big ugglies, they all need seasoning with rookies needing even more seasoning than some practice squad players. So they’re just watching the rosters of other teams looking for talent in this position group.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I find it kind of telling when both Staley and Holmes do the exact opposite of what we have done in our drafts. Both grabbed oline men with their first pick. They need it a little more but we are one injury away from 2019 play, and our offense has never been the same after 2018.
Partly because saffold/sully left and 3 years later still haven't found replacements. The oline imo was the main reason the offense exploded in 17/18.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would also not recommend dressing up as Batman and jumping from the dresser onto the bed, where you damsel in distress awaits....Not communicating I've done this before, but just not recommending it.
What would you recommend for the toolbelt???
~ @Loyal

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Keep hearing his name from McVay. Evidently he has really impressed early on. Great news.
He was taking the snaps at backup LT last camp as a rookie so that's a very good thing I agree.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whitworth / Edwards / Corbett / Evans / Havenstein

Doesn‘t look bad to me. (y)

Noteboom first off bench. Maybe Anchrum shakes things up too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whitworth / Edwards / Corbett / Evans / Havenstein

Doesn‘t look bad to me. (y)

Noteboom first off bench. Maybe Anchrum shakes things up too.
I"m Anchrum over Evans personally. Evans hasn't shown much and unlike Edwards hasn't cracked the lineup except when desperation hit with injuries.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
As a guard, I can't see him being a tackle.

That's fine, but he may possess some swing OG/OT skills going forward, ... and McVay likes those cross-trained guys who can step in when called upon. jmo.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Full Article

No, really — why didn’t the Rams add to their offensive line despite a strong draft class?​

E_TOWL1654-scaled-e1619922524225-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue May 1, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

Slowly — at times, agonizingly slowly — the Rams’ picks slipped one by one off the draft board.
Receiver. Linebacker. Defensive tackle. Cornerback. Then a bevy of players who will, reasonably, be expected to contribute on special teams, with upside for larger roles. More receivers. A running back.
But no offensive linemen? Not in this class, surely — a class so lauded by analysts and scouts across the league for its depth at nearly every position along the line, from tackle to guard to center, and then back out to tackle again? In fact, even as Day 3 began, chatter from the Rams’ draft house in Malibu, Calif., was focused more on these special-teamers with possibility, and nobody was really pounding the table for offensive linemen even after Friday’s picks, at which the Rams could have had their choice of them.
It was a reminder, of course, that the things we on the outside perceive to be “needs” for a team aren’t always agreed upon behind closed doors.
But seriously, one offensive lineman drafted in two years (Tremayne Anchrum — a seventh-rounder with promise whom the Rams picked up in 2020)?!
What gives?
“There’s a lot of depth with the 11 players that we had in the offensive line room, going into today, all of them have played meaningful games and they’re guys that we project as real NFL guys,” head coach Sean McVay said. “I think it’s a reflection of the confidence of the group that we do have in place. It’s just kind of how things shook out.”
It’s a gamble by the Rams, but apparently in light of changes to their coaching staff that included the parting of ways with longtime offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, and the hiring of Stanford’s Kevin Carberry (who held the same role there), the team this offseason decided to revisit its direction at the position.
One source with knowledge of those conversations believes that McVay and Carberry are looking to add a little sand-in-the-pants power to McVay’s trademark outside-zone system, which in part would mean getting a bit bulkier at center (and clearly was part of the reason the front office was cool with sticking to a low, salary-cap-friendly offer to former starter Austin Blythe, who actually chose instead to sign in Kansas City for slightly cheaper this spring … aside from the fact that they were up against a shrunken cap, of course).
The source believes that, as things currently stand entering spring workouts, the Rams feel their best five players — from left to right — are longtime left tackle Andrew Whitworth, guard David Edwards, center (!!) Austin Corbett, who the Rams initially avoided putting at center to the point of starting Blythe there because they felt Corbett was better at guard (and played full-time guard last year after a strong showing there in 2019), Bobby Evans and Rob Havenstein.
Depth at center, which is the biggest 2021 roster spot in question, includes former fourth-round pick Brian Allen, who missed all of 2020 with a leg injury, and Coleman Shelton, who has never started a game for the Rams.
In fairness, starting a rookie would be a gamble, too — even if that rookie was gotten with an early pick. Perhaps, when faced with two risky scenarios, the Rams are opting for a “come what may” approach with their rostered players (and express believable optimism in them as known entities), rather than vault into a more unknown player who may be tougher to project in their system than guys they’ve watched practice every day.
“We did know, going into this draft, that if we did take an offensive lineman it would really be maybe a ‘redshirt’ year,” GM Les Snead said. “It would be hard for an offensive lineman to be one of our eight (active players), no matter how good you were coming into this group.”
Both McVay and Snead also were adamant that they targeted “their” guys, speaking on behalf of themselves and their staff. Most of their prospects taken fit hyper-athletic profiles, will add speed on both sides of the ball and they especially hammered in on special teams coverage guys in tight end/receiver Jacob Harris (perhaps the top-rated special teams player in the draft), running back Jake Funk and receiver Ben Skowronek. In McVay’s system, the receivers in particular should have some upside, and Skowronek will play everything from tight end to fullback (and sounded like he can’t wait to pop somebody). It’s tough to argue with any of the defensive picks, because of the Rams’ losses in free agency — particularly their very intriguing adds of linebacker Ernest Jones, outside linebacker Chris Garrett and cornerback Robert Rochell.
And to hear McVay’s comments pre-draft, they did plenty of due diligence on offensive line prospects, both with new line coach Kevin Carberry (both Stanford linemen were taken before the Rams’ picks at their respective slots, though it’s not clear whether the Rams were high on them in the first place) and held multiple meetings with certain prospects such as Wisconsin-Whitewater center Quinn Meinerz (drafted by Denver at No. 98). They did, through the time of this writing, agree to terms with at least two undrafted free agents in Iowa tackle Alaric Johnson and Western Kentucky center Jordan Meredith.
The reality is — and prepare to clench up — adding along the offensive line was not a priority for the Rams in this draft … not even in preparation for a future in which three currently rostered players (Joe Noteboom, Corbett and Allen) are unrestricted free agents in 2022, Whitworth has an “out” in his contract after 2021 (he and Havenstein are free agents in 2023, as are Evans and Edwards — and those contracts could come due a year early depending on their playing time in 2021).
It often takes linemen — particularly those outside of the first round, where the Rams will be picking into the foreseeable future — at least a year to really start to hit the NFL learning curve, both physically and mentally. Sure, the Rams will have limited roster space because of their returning linemen, and perhaps want to avoid trying to stash a guy on the practice squad — but not even one guy, one developmental project with starter promise? Those could have been had as deep as the fourth round, and now float on a UDFA and a prayer.
It’s surprising, considering all of the nuances and challenges of the position and the investment the team made into veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford — who was lauded for his toughness after too many hits in Detroit, but surely would hope to thrive in quieter West Coast waters?
The Rams had a poker table set up in the Malibu draft house, but I didn’t realize they’d gamble like this during the draft itself.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Same here. I actually think Corbett is a good lesson for why the Rams operate on the offensive line the way they do. The browns absolutely gave up on Corbett right away when he just needed a couple of years to get his feet under him. If the Rams drafted offensive line this year the chances are they wouldn't flourish or see their ascension until about 2023. That doesn't even match up with the Rams window right now.

Just an excellent insightful paragraph. Thx Bro

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I"m Anchrum over Evans personally. Evans hasn't shown much and unlike Edwards hasn't cracked the lineup except when desperation hit with injuries.

Well Old school can get a lot of thumbs up,but it still doesn’t justify his opinion once again.
What his statement on Bobby Evans shows is The Rams depth & the way this group is crossed because of injury. This goes for David Edwards as well. Let’s just add the trade 4 Corbett to begin with. Then you can go down the roster.
Bonifay’d has posted about Brian Allen being a guard as well.IMO
Evans & Noteboom both would start ahead of Allen at Center.
I also find it funny how Ram Fans just assume Corbett will start at Center? Then I’ll add I can see Whitworth playing guard if needed.The only reason I state this is because of Whitworth suggestioning it as a possibility. Either way Joesph Noteboom is going to compete & it is a contract year.I know I was surprised Noteboom started his 2nd season in a row over David Edwards.Why Corbett was moved to RG as well ?

TexasRam

Legend
We can cherry pick a bad game to mean anything.

By that logic:

Floyd was invisible, re-signing him was a mistake. Ramsey and Williams got torched, so we should have replaced them.

I doubt were relying solely on Evans anyways - that guard spot will be ab open competition between four or five players
It’s not Cherry picking. It’s the only full game Evans played on tape last year. It’s also the last game of the year which is the best indicator of where he is at in his development after two full years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to everything I've read, he's blazing fast. Maybe the fastest in the draft. And there were some comments "the Rams drafted Desean Jackson, Jr". I looked up Dj's draft profile and he wasn't much bigger than Tutu. There were some who had him listed at 5'11", others at 5'9". Some had him listed at 169 lbs, some had him lighter.

I also checked out Tyreek Hill's profile.....5'10", 184 lbs (I don't see that weight but I could be wrong)

Tutu 5'9" 155 lbs.

We'll see.
Yeah. I just don't like the odds of small receivers carrying college success over to the pros. I hope they made a good pick. I'm just always skeptical. I think of Tavon more than I do Hill. Hill looks like a little body builder. Steve Smith wasn't skinny as a rail either. Then I wonder will adding muscle slow At well down? Maybe. I hope not.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they'll re-sign most of their current reserves and starters. If Corbett and Evans or edwards works out and you have Noteboom who has looked okay. Why not keep 2 of those guys next year ?
Maybe so, maybe no. Its difficult to tell. Center is the most glaring and urgent need. If they got that covered without creating another hole like at right guard, then good. But if not then they just shifted the problem.

They will have to resign or sign someone eventually if they are opposed to playing rookie Online men. Or at least move guys like Anchrum or Brewer into the vacated spots and draft some guys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. I just don't like the odds of small receivers carrying college success over to the pros. I hope they made a good pick. I'm just always skeptical. I think of Tavon more than I do Hill. Hill looks like a little body builder. Steve Smith wasn't skinny as a rail either. Then I wonder will adding muscle slow At well down? Maybe. I hope not.
Yeah the Hill and Smith Jr comparisons are baffling, two guys that played 25-35 lbs heavier than Atwell. I mean they're short sure but they're thick for that height something Atwell isn't even close to being.