OTA’s / News and Notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is he intriguing because of his play, or because he acts the way he does? Serious question, and not trying to be a dick here, haha. Personally, I love when a player has a swagger about them, but I HATE when they can't back it up.
Unfortunately when a player has a significant shortfall in athleticism it leaves him with very little room for error vs certain draws outside that hash, and it can be hard to get him help depending on call. So I think the reason the Rams like him is because he has that top corner mentality that was lacking among many of the others (confidence is key at that spot more than any other, even if misplaced). But yes he absolutely does have to do the job and at this level there are simply too many teams with guys who can trump him.

On the inside though there's more options to help him out when the other team mismatches him with a guy who has real juice. I think he's got a chance to win a role there, though hopefully if that happens he actually wins it vice it being handed to him. He does have great instincts in coverage so if he can handle the role it will be very nice boost for this defense.

Also I really want to see Durant step up. He has had his own shortfalls just like Kendrick, though it's been some other stuff like weak ass tackling, which is a no-go in this division. Then you gotta worry about both these guys holding up physically. So to me this corner group still needs more help. But maybe they can get enough from this group this season.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I thought members here were being to hard on Kendricks in his rookie year. To me it was, what do expect from a 6th round rookie? An all pro?

But he really did not see a lot of improvement in year two. There is usually a reason why someone isn't drafted till late day 3. So I don't fault him. I fault the coaching for putting a guy with limitations on an island against opposing WR1's.

Durant show promise his rookie year. I expected more in year 2. But it never materialized. Sophomore slump? Or another guy with limitations being counted on too much?

I like that they went the veteran route with White. DWill and Kurl. There were too many mental mistakes in the secondary resulting in blown coverages.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Morris ran a shit ton of cover 3 in his first year (53%), then dialed that back quite a bit in year two with I think a more balanced approach and more aggressive press (they were middle of the pack in that regard last year late into the season according to the linked article). So in trying to project what Shula will do I would guess that the call balance should be roughly the same as what we saw last year, but with hopefully better results due to an improvement in the middle of the field (i.e. the safety room). This means I think the call balance last season is where McVay wants his defense to be, and so if White were to regain his previous form then he and Williams should make a very nice pairing for what they want to be.

It's fun to imagine at least. Problem is there are so many IFs involved, from projecting way too many positions to even projecting the DC performance. Typically I lean defense in terms of what I want to see prioritized during the offseason. This year the Rams have continued (for a couple years running now) a focus on retooling that side of the ball, so it feels to me like there is potential for things to align for them with a truly threatening defense. Not that it's likely mind you. But certainly possible, which was not in play for us with last season's defensive roster. This year's roster looks far better.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I trust Durant a hell of a lot more than Kendrick on the field (and given Kendrick getting kicked out of Clemson and his arrest last year? Off the field seems appropriate as well.); the former has more interceptions in one year (3) than the latter did in two (1), with Kendrick - and I feel it's undeservingly - getting twice the amount of playing time. It's just that Durant needs to clean up his tackling, and I think that's a hell of a lot easier than Kendrick cleaning up his speed and penalty issues.

With the new front seven additions and secondary additions that we've added to go along with our current players, I'm much less concerned about a cornerback's run-support and much more concerned about getting beat by the receiver for long plays or getting penalty yards.

Will we likely be drafting a corner with our potential first in 2025? You bet your ass we should, because - in my honest opinion, of course - that's the weakest link in our team that I see. But I still trust Durant a hell of a lot more than Kendrick. Given the age and injury history respectively, I trust him almost as much as D-Will and just as much as White - and I don't entirely trust them either.

But I feel that Durant has to bounce back if we're going to the Super Bowl this year - because I will not put my bet on a guy who has had an ACL and Achilles injury in the last three years, nor a cornerback who turned thirty-one (where corners usually fall off) - and I loved watching White and I love D-Will.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No more 11 Personnel? This makes me sad.
Me too. I’m guessing that the NYT sees it as giving away free information and people who listen for free should be paying for the info that Jourdan has. In other words, they are trying to force 11 Personnel fans to pay for the articles.

It makes sense. But it really sucks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

He meant the 11 Personnel Podcast. NYT terminated it.

1717813393742.png

Tano

Legend
Not when it comes to coverage.

He meant the 11 Personnel Podcast. NYT terminated it.
Elm - I am only talking about his tackling ability.

His coverage ability sucks. I have stated that many times.

And unfortunately, Durant couldn't tackle a flea but is a ton better at coverage.

Combine Durant and Kendrick best abilities and you would have a pretty good corner.

Tano

Legend
I trust Durant a hell of a lot more than Kendrick on the field (and given Kendrick getting kicked out of Clemson and his arrest last year? Off the field seems appropriate as well.); the former has more interceptions in one year (3) than the latter did in two (1), with Kendrick - and I feel it's undeservingly - getting twice the amount of playing time. It's just that Durant needs to clean up his tackling, and I think that's a hell of a lot easier than Kendrick cleaning up his speed and penalty issues.

With the new front seven additions and secondary additions that we've added to go along with our current players, I'm much less concerned about a cornerback's run-support and much more concerned about getting beat by the receiver for long plays or getting penalty yards.

Will we likely be drafting a corner with our potential first in 2025? You bet your ass we should, because - in my honest opinion, of course - that's the weakest link in our team that I see. But I still trust Durant a hell of a lot more than Kendrick. Given the age and injury history respectively, I trust him almost as much as D-Will and just as much as White - and I don't entirely trust them either.

But I feel that Durant has to bounce back if we're going to the Super Bowl this year - because I will not put my bet on a guy who has had an ACL and Achilles injury in the last three years, nor a cornerback who turned thirty-one (where corners usually fall off) - and I loved watching White and I love D-Will.
Oh Durant is much better than Kendrick in everything but tackling.

If Durant could tackle, he would be a very good corner but he can't tackle worth a damn.

As stated above, I was only referring to Kendrick being a 1000 times better tackler than Durant.

I should have made myself clearer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elm - I am only talking about his tackling ability.

His coverage ability sucks. I have stated that many times.

And unfortunately, Durant couldn't tackle a flea but is a ton better at coverage.

Combine Durant and Kendrick best abilities and you would have a pretty good corner.
I don’t think Kendrick’s is even that good at tackling. He doesn’t sound to smart in interviews either, which explains the dumb mistakes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oh Durant is much better than Kendrick in everything but tackling.

If Durant could tackle, he would be a very good corner but he can't tackle worth a damn.

As stated above, I was only referring to Kendrick being a 1000 times better tackler than Durant.

I should have made myself clearer.

It will be interesting how there careers play out .I agree with you.
—Sometimes I think when Looking at a player & there skills there are a lot of things to take into consideration.This is a good example.Age vs. will is one of them.

Cobie is a ball hawk who has become better at tackling.He will develop into a better player.He is a team first player.I don’t know what his role will be ? My biggest question is how he stacks up on special teams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Luscious…
I'm generally a glass more than half full over optimistic about the team but I feel we'll miss AD but overall our defense will be better. Especially as the season gets into the 2nd half and these young guys start to work together more and more.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm generally a glass more than half full over optimistic about the team but I feel we'll miss AD but overall our defense will be better. Especially as the season gets into the 2nd half and these young guys start to work together more and more.
I thought Eric Henderson did a GREAT JOB as The Rams D’Line coach.It is a Big loss as well in a way.IMO having Giff Smith as The Rams D’Line coach who Henderson got his NFL coaching career under comes into The 2024 season at a PERFECT Time for these young (guys) Rams.

Tano

Legend
It will be interesting how there careers play out .I agree with you.
—Sometimes I think when Looking at a player & there skills there are a lot of things to take into consideration.This is a good example.Age vs. will is one of them.

Cobie is a ball hawk who has become better at tackling.He will develop into a better player.He is a team first player.I don’t know what his role will be ? My biggest question is how he stacks up on special teams.
I hope Cobie can tackle better because he is definitely a better cover corner.

I am wondering if McVay demoted Cobie last year because he saw that guy have tackling issues.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Cobie can tackle better because he is definitely a better cover corner.

I am wondering if McVay demoted Cobie last year because he saw that guy have tackling issues.
They were trying him at the Star in practice along with Tomlinson. It wasn’t working. They eventually got Lake in the Star and we started seeing more of Durant late

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They were trying him at the Star in practice along with Tomlinson. It wasn’t working. They eventually got Lake in the Star and we started seeing more of Durant late
Durant is an outside CB and he has been the starter while White rehabs during OTA's. I think Cobie bounces back this year and the Rams will have 3 solid CB's in Williams, White & Durant.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What happened to whiterspoon? Thought he played alright last season.