Offseason Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
are you saying we should have traded away the pick we used to get donald for a proven veteran.

Not that pick. They should have traded the pick they used for Robinson.

TexasRam

Legend
Watching Akers highlights from last year. Man we have to get him more involved in the
passing game some how. He could add another dimension to the pass game.

Would love to see them have him run the jet motion out of empty It would give them a run threat
out of empty formation as well as him releasing him into routes. He has the speed
to exploit the seam as well as the ability to run our jet sweep better than the WR's
I was saying the before the Packers game. It completely changes the defenses approach when the dumpoffs start becoming a threat, and Akers really has that skillset to catch it out of the backfield and move the chains.

I think Mcvay got a little boxed in on his game planning and wasn't able to see the bigger picture. I fully expect him to step back and after decompressing look at the film and have a light bulb go on regarding this. The Saints made a living off the Kamara dump offs as do several other teams. When you have a back like Akers the play can be downright unstoppable unless you commit two or more guys to defend it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
are you saying we should have traded away the pick we used to get donald for a proven veteran.

Nope. That was the Rams original pick. They used the pick acquired from Washington on GRob. Garbage. But you miss the point. RGIII was not a proven talent. The Rams felt they had their QB so that trade made a lot of sense. Trading a proven talent for picks is the mistake. Jalen Ramsey's talent is not likely to be replaced with the picks the Rams traded for him. Just as trading Dickerson away was not worth the pick. I'll always advocate the proven commodity being worth a gamble on a pick.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Here’s the rundown of the dead-cap hit the Rams would retain in regard to cutting or trading Goff this offseason, according to Over The Cap:

• Pre-June 1 cut: $62.525 million
  • Post-June 1 cut: $50.152 million in 2021, $15.4 million in 2022
  • Pre-June 1 trade: $22.2 million
  • Post-June 1 trade: $6.8 million in 2021, $15.4 million in 2022
Difficult, but not impossible.

That’s no news flash to Snead, who, when pressed on the weight of the contract as it pertains to possible movement of Goff, recounted the obvious a bit drily.

“Moving on from Jared Goff, that’s – the money we’ve invested in him, that’s not easy to overcome,” he said. “This is a cap-based system. … Anything can be done in a cap-based system. Anything can be done. I think you all have seen that occur in the NFL…

“With a cap-based system, you can move money around, allocate it to different positions, different players, things like that. But with that, there’s always going to be a yin and a yang and a sacrifice somewhere.”

I do not underestimate the creativity with which the Rams could operate financially, if they indeed are set on moving Goff. This is the team that simulated the economics of a COVID-19 “opt-out” season for defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson, after all, but we also can’t rule out Goff’s presence on the roster next fall. The clear message here is, “We don’t want to show our work just yet, and that’s because there are a few ways this thing could play out.”

By Jourdan Rodrigue

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was saying the before the Packers game. It completely changes the defenses approach when the dumpoffs start becoming a threat, and Akers really has that skillset to catch it out of the backfield and move the chains.

I think Mcvay got a little boxed in on his game planning and wasn't able to see the bigger picture. I fully expect him to step back and after decompressing look at the film and have a light bulb go on regarding this. The Saints made a living off the Kamara dump offs as do several other teams. When you have a back like Akers the play can be downright unstoppable unless you commit two or more guys to defend it.

We did, too, with Gurley in 2017/18 because the OL held up enough for both the RB and TE to go out on routes.

McVay has been max protecting so much because the OL hasn't held up.

That's what the stupid rankings don't seem to understand. Our OL wasn't the worst in the league, but it's not what this offense needs if they can't hold up enough to let the RB/TE out on routes...

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Not that pick. They should have traded the pick they used for Robinson.

wow nice use of hind sight. it would sure make drafting easy if you could go back after a few years and change the ones that didn't work out

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wont miss Brown on wheel routes, that's for sure....
Henderson is the forgotten break out player for this team. He was amazing early on and will definitely have a chip on his shoulder heading in to next year. Got to love the RB room going forward
I would not want to utilize the word "Break" in a conversation with the subject being the Ram RB Henderson. Henderson has been on the Injured Reserve the last two seasons.:hush:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We did, too, with Gurley in 2017/18 because the OL held up enough for both the RB and TE to go out on routes.

McVay has been max protecting so much because the OL hasn't held up.

That's what the stupid rankings don't seem to understand. Our OL wasn't the worst in the league, but it's not what this offense needs if they can't hold up enough to let the RB/TE out on routes...
Yeah right now I'm feeling like this offseason will be about the offense. Reload at QB. Go get a Center. Find a third threat for the passing game.

IMO Goff will be moved to a cap happy team like Washington. I was thinking June 1st for cap purposes but have been shown the error of my ways so have accepted it's gonna happen relatively soon.

Then I expect they'll trade Woody and a pick or two for Darnold. He's mobile and he's got some upside still. The big names are off the block for us IMO.

Then they'll probably draft a QB too and have an open QB competition. And I'm fine with that. No matter what the move is at QB they're gonna need talent on that side of the ball.

They do have some big questions on defense too. But I think the defense is going to dip a bit. The offense should have a juggernaut ground game to help carry whoever wins that QB job.

Lastly I know a lot of folks will be in torch and pitchfork mode after the Rams make their QB moves. But again we've been surviving now for a couple seasons with below average quarterbacking. But the run game and improved line will allow whoever gets the gig to be a solid QB at the least for us.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I’ll never forgive the Rams for trading Dickerson. The return was like they gave him away. Ditto Bettis. Getting the good to great player, like Faulk or Jim Everett is always the better play.

yeah we got almost nothing for ed but it was said we wanted to lose so it would make the move to st louis easier. as far as the faulk trade went it was a deal we could not pass up. if memory serves me he only cost us a 2nd rnd pick who would not make that trade. the everett trade did not turn out so well. by the time we changed over from a run team to a pass team i think we made the play offs one time then the phantom sack and everett was never the same.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's some cap totals by team. Have lined out some of the obvious teams who won't be looking for a vet QB. Hadn't thought of the Broncos... They might be tired of drafting and missing on QB.

1611779323602.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not want to utilize the word "Break" in a conversation with the subject being the Ram RB Henderson. Henderson has been on the Injured Reserve the last two seasons.:hush:
Well, he missed as many regular season games in 2020 as Goff did, sucks it was at the end of the season. He did play in 15 games, so he surely improved from 2019

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
yeah we got almost nothing for ed but it was said we wanted to lose so it would make the move to st louis easier. as far as the faulk trade went it was a deal we could not pass up. if memory serves me he only cost us a 2nd rnd pick who would not make that trade. the everett trade did not turn out so well. by the time we changed over from a run team to a pass team i think we made the play offs one time then the phantom sack and everett was never the same.

Everett was still worth it. It’s not his fault that the line didn’t protect him well. He still had some good years.
Faulk falls under always go for the proven player. Just like Ramsey. It’s not likely that Snead could find equivalent talent with the picks he spent on Ramsey.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now that it's obvious Goff is going to be gone... Skins and Broncos. Those are the two most likely locations IMO. Both teams need some teambuilding by which time they can move on from Goff if he doesn't play well for them. Until then he will improve them for sure and maybe they get lucky and get a top end guy if he improves in a couple areas.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett was still worth it. It’s not his fault that the line didn’t protect him well. He still had some good years.
Faulk falls under always go for the proven player. Just like Ramsey. It’s not likely that Snead could find equivalent talent with the picks he spent on Ramsey.
Yeah what Snead has done a good job of is pulling in the talent. But there have been misses too and the guy who ends up cleaning the mess is Demoff.

For now what they have to not do for at least the next 3 years... Do NOT lock up anyone early. It's one thing for super elite players guys like AD and Ramsey. But for the mortal players your ass is waiting and if that's a problem for you we'll trade your ass early like the Pats.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

i don't remember what we gave for everett but its debatable that we may have done better with the picks. as far as faulk goes i don't think anyone would complain about that trade.as far as ramsey is concerned you must remember that we also lost a 1st rd pick on peters who ramsey replaced. i don't know if with those 3 1st rd picks we would not have been able to get some pretty good talent that would have been very cheep compared to ramsey witch would certainly help our cap situation now. i guess we will just have to disagree on the always part of what you are saying there are just to many things to look at that make each deal different. any way i think you should look at the entire trade before you make it

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wow nice use of hind sight. it would sure make drafting easy if you could go back after a few years and change the ones that didn't work out
You took my quote out of context, I was replying to another post.
I guess I should have used blue font.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah right now I'm feeling like this offseason will be about the offense. Reload at QB. Go get a Center. Find a third threat for the passing game.

IMO Goff will be moved to a cap happy team like Washington. I was thinking June 1st for cap purposes but have been shown the error of my ways so have accepted it's gonna happen relatively soon.

Then I expect they'll trade Woody and a pick or two for Darnold. He's mobile and he's got some upside still. The big names are off the block for us IMO.

Then they'll probably draft a QB too and have an open QB competition. And I'm fine with that. No matter what the move is at QB they're gonna need talent on that side of the ball.

They do have some big questions on defense too. But I think the defense is going to dip a bit. The offense should have a juggernaut ground game to help carry whoever wins that QB job.

Lastly I know a lot of folks will be in torch and pitchfork mode after the Rams make their QB moves. But again we've been surviving now for a couple seasons with below average quarterbacking. But the run game and improved line will allow whoever gets the gig to be a solid QB at the least for us.

The only reason I don't think it's Stafford or Darnold or Wentz (who's now staying in Philly) is because this started with McVay prior to any of those guys being known as available. Darnold was in limbo due to them beating us and Gase being a lame duck, Stafford was barely a rumor and Wentz is now off the table (I wouldn't want him, just trying to be thorough).

The only guys "available" or seen to be available when McVay started all this was Watson and Jimmy G and there's NO WAY we rip all this shit up for Jimmy G over Goff.

What's crazy is that based on the timeline and all the info we have, including stocking up on mobile QBs like Watson, is that Watson looks like the target and maybe the Rams are committed to "paying any price" for him.

I dunno, but BY FAR the strongest case can be made that the Rams org, at least, seems focused on Watson.

1) he was seen as potentially available when all this started.

2) he's the kind of QB McVay apparently wants. Hints going back a long way show he admires being able to make plays both on schedule AND off schedule

3) change of pace backs are fine, but in QBs? Typically you don't want to have to change the entire offense due to the backup. If you have Goff, having a totally different style of QB means if Goff goes down, the entire offense looks different. That can be a positive if the offense is dragging, but when it's working? Could derail an entire season. Same with a QB like Watson. You get similar guys so that the offense if needed can move without missing a beat for a bit. And what kind of QB have we stocked up on? Watson-esque mobile QBs.

4) Other than compensation to Houston, nothing has to be done to the cap to fit Watson in. We actually save $2M bringing in Watson and trading Goff. Every other QB would take near magic to make work.

5) I remain committed that Kroenke and Demoff want to make a MASSIVE SPLASH when fans can finally watch the team in this new setting. I can see the team going all in on 2021 as the Rams host the Super Bowl. Watson is the only player at the QB position that checks all the boxes.

Could it be something else entirely? Absolutely it could. I just think that the chances of this being a massive trade early in the new league year grow by the day. I'll be truly shocked if the Rams pay Goff his guarantee on the 5th day.