Offseason Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I hate the thought of trading Woods or Kupp but we need to protect Goff more. And I feel strongly we have 3 similar WRs in Woods/Kupp/Jefferson. Saving $14m should allow adding a stud OC/OG and have some left over for other needs.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I don't love the idea of trading Hav. He's a top 10 player at RT. But we have Noteboom waiting in the wings. We may want that cap space to boost another position. Noteboom won't be the run blocker Hav is, but he's a better pass blocker imo. My preference is to trade Noteboom and keep Hav. But it'll depend on the market for each.
Here's the question in my mind: how much longer will Whitworth be able to beat father time? I mean, after all, father time is undefeated. I dont want to get rid of Noteboom or Havenstein because what happens when you do and the Whitworth gets hurt again or falls off the cliff mid-season. Now you have no good depth at OT. These days it takes a year or two for any really good Olineman to really come into their own due to the schemes ran at the collegiate level. Thats with top picks. Might a top pick guy come in and produce right off the bat? Yes, but he isn't going to be havenstein or even Noteboom probably for the 1st year. Solid, not great. Not the Noteboom is great...yet.

In my mind, protecting Jared Goff and allowing him to flourish is priority #1 from here on out. I dont care what anyone says, dude is legit talented. Aaron Rodgers, for all his talent, has been on the outside looking in for years. Conversation had begun about how great he really even was and if he was declining early. Now he has an elite Oline and look at him. Jared Goff isn't even 27 years old for crying out loud.

Oh, that brings up another great point. The Packers oline and the importance of depth. Baktieri (sp?), his truly elite LT is out for the season. That line hasn't even skipped a beat. Imagine a sub-par tackle against Floyd in that playoff game. Maybe it goes a little differently.
That brings up another point. Let Floyd go. I mean, try to retain him ofc, just not to the detriment of other positions. Who tf was Floyd before AD? Was Floyd a factor against high level oline with AD hurt? No he wasn't. Floyd is not a guy who excells without someone else present to be a difference maker. Floyd is a piece of the puzzle, not a cog. Puzzle pieces are replaceable. I dont think you pay a puzzle piece 14+ mil/year. You plug another dude in who can do the same stuff. You build around your cogs. AD, Ramsey, Goff. Those are the guys that you support. It just so happens that Goffs play is directly impacted by every single person on the O, more so than any other position. To me, the choice is obvious. I find another + edge type for cheap and retain JJ. Make him a cog. Allow the draft to maintain the amazing safety/secondary depth. If you can't retain JJ, let him and Floyd walk, back fill safety with the current roster/draft, find another + edge type for cheap, go after a Center.

Anyways. Thats my take. It may be unpopular, im sorry if it is. I respect yalls ideas and opinions. I just happen to see it in another shade of blue.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Kupp's and Wood's contracts carry a lot of dead cap in 2021, but in 2022 they eat up very little dead cap and are very movable. Seems like both their contracts were set up as potential two year deals.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay clearly wanted the trio of Woods/Kupp/Jefferson moving forward.

He clearly wanted Goff long term too.

But after last year, something isn't working - he was either wrong about the QB or wrong about the WRs. And the problem is, whether we get a WR or not, we've invested a lot of money and then a 2nd rounder in those 3 WRs, so relegating one (VJ) to the bench likely won't happen.

2021 will be make or break for almost every offensive player outside of the rookies from last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the question in my mind: how much longer will Whitworth be able to beat father time? I mean, after all, father time is undefeated. I dont want to get rid of Noteboom or Havenstein because what happens when you do and the Whitworth gets hurt again or falls off the cliff mid-season. Now you have no good depth at OT. These days it takes a year or two for any really good Olineman to really come into their own due to the schemes ran at the collegiate level. Thats with top picks. Might a top pick guy come in and produce right off the bat? Yes, but he isn't going to be havenstein or even Noteboom probably for the 1st year. Solid, not great. Not the Noteboom is great...yet.

In my mind, protecting Jared Goff and allowing him to flourish is priority #1 from here on out. I dont care what anyone says, dude is legit talented. Aaron Rodgers, for all his talent, has been on the outside looking in for years. Conversation had begun about how great he really even was and if he was declining early. Now he has an elite Oline and look at him. Jared Goff isn't even 27 years old for crying out loud.

Oh, that brings up another great point. The Packers oline and the importance of depth. Baktieri (sp?), his truly elite LT is out for the season. That line hasn't even skipped a beat. Imagine a sub-par tackle against Floyd in that playoff game. Maybe it goes a little differently.
That brings up another point. Let Floyd go. I mean, try to retain him ofc, just not to the detriment of other positions. Who tf was Floyd before AD? Was Floyd a factor against high level oline with AD hurt? No he wasn't. Floyd is not a guy who excells without someone else present to be a difference maker. Floyd is a piece of the puzzle, not a cog. Puzzle pieces are replaceable. I dont think you pay a puzzle piece 14+ mil/year. You plug another dude in who can do the same stuff. You build around your cogs. AD, Ramsey, Goff. Those are the guys that you support. It just so happens that Goffs play is directly impacted by every single person on the O, more so than any other position. To me, the choice is obvious. I find another + edge type for cheap and retain JJ. Make him a cog. Allow the draft to maintain the amazing safety/secondary depth. If you can't retain JJ, let him and Floyd walk, back fill safety with the current roster/draft, find another + edge type for cheap, go after a Center.

Anyways. Thats my take. It may be unpopular, im sorry if it is. I respect yalls ideas and opinions. I just happen to see it in another shade of blue.

I don't disagree with you. Only way we trade Noteboom imo is if we have an eye on a Whitworth replacement in the Draft. Issue with Noteboom is that he's a FA after the 2021 season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay clearly wanted the trio of Woods/Kupp/Jefferson moving forward.

He clearly wanted Goff long term too.

But after last year, something isn't working - he was either wrong about the QB or wrong about the WRs. And the problem is, whether we get a WR or not, we've invested a lot of money and then a 2nd rounder in those 3 WRs, so relegating one (VJ) to the bench likely won't happen.

2021 will be make or break for almost every offensive player outside of the rookies from last year.

What if he's right about all of them, but we need one more OL to get the OL back to where it needs to be and Jefferson needed a year to adjust to the NFL?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't love the idea of trading Hav. He's a top 10 player at RT. But we have Noteboom waiting in the wings. We may want that cap space to boost another position. Noteboom won't be the run blocker Hav is, but he's a better pass blocker imo. My preference is to trade Noteboom and keep Hav. But it'll depend on the market for each.

Hard call! I say let things playout & keep building the foundation.It was nice to see Noteboom & Evans step up & show The Rams depth.

Austin Blythe’s replacement will be interesting.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
5. DT Donald. I almost didn't include this simply because of the replies I know are coming but then I did include this because of the replies I know are coming. Figure it might distract us for a while then we can go back to QB arguments eh? So this is the kind of thing the Rams probably wouldn't consider. But for me no player is untouchable at the right price and Donald's greatest value is right now. He is in his prime. He just won another DPOY award. His contract spikes this year at $27M cap hit but after this season it trends down nicely and has great value for a Hall of Fame player who is still in his HoF days and there's even an out after this season to protect the team making the trade. The trade value coming back would be enormous and enough to address LT or Edge and still have shots at upgrading or filling a position or two with starters. We have Robinson coming off a disappointing season but he looks rather fit and 3T is a good spot for him. Lastly for the record no way I do this however I think there is enough logic and reason to take a hard look at it.
You must think AD sucks

In terms of eye-popping highlight-reel “holy crap that guy is talented” assessments, AD is the second most amazing player I’ve ever seen( I’d put Barry Sanders at #1 on the top of my list).

But Father Time is undefeated. AD turns 30 in a couple months.

I know we like to kid around with those “the Terminator AD is invincible” comments, but the way AD was hampered by that rib injury shows that he is indeed a mortal human. And he’s played 7 full seasons already (the same number of seasons Terrell Davis had his entire career). And I do think that a big part of AD’s game is based on freakish quickness— an attribute that inevitably wears down with age.

So yeah, I sure as hell hope AD stays a Ram and that he has several “prime” years left. But we know how Snead and McVay are willing to make gigantic moves, some with big risk/ big reward.

How truly tempted is McVay to move on from Goff? Does McSnead consider the monster of all trades: AD for a franchise QB (like Deshaun Watson)? My guess is that yeah, they’d at least consider it. Very unlikely to happen. But do they at least consider it— given his age, his salary, and the absolutely massive windfall they’d get in return? Yes, IMHO Snead and McVay would at least consider it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Unless these trades would net the Rams an elite young QB it's the equivalent of stepping over a dime to save a nickel.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Been going through our roster and contracts a little bit and have put together a list of trade possibilities. We have a lot of players who would be very desired on the market of course but for this what I am prioritizing are guys who have short duration left under contract (i.e. in their last year), represent roster redundancies, or are valuable to us potentially in some way via trade in terms of opening up cap space.

One thing I have not included in my logic here is board and fan favorite status. There are some below and I know many of you are going to lose your minds but that's nothing new. :ROFLMAO:

Lastly these are sorted in terms of likelihood. And some of these are moves nobody wants but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a look at the option and have an idea of the benefits and drawbacks.

1. RT Havenstein. This guy is a blue chip RT in the run game and he's got a lot of value considering that plus a contract that pays him $8M for the next two seasons. And as always the trade option that is easiest to pull off is for the guy you wouldn't want to trade. But in his case the Rams could use that cap room and I have reason to believe they could fill that RT role without too much dropoff. I mean this is why you draft and develop and Evans is just sitting there also Edwards may be able to lock down the right edge too. I feel like if they were to do this and also go get a FA addition for the middle (either C or G) the line as a whole is stronger. This is where drafting all those OTs with intent to move them inside may pay off. I think an OL of Whit / Edwards / FA / Corbett / Evans is better overall and the Rams would be positioned to take a tackle if one they like drops to them. Or even better would be Scherff at RG and a rookie at C but of course that is a pipe dream. :biggrin:

2. WR Kupp & WR Woods. We all knew the Rams would take care of Woody and I'm glad they did and all. But now we have over $27M tied up in two WRs who do the same thing, namely provide us with a possession option. Just below them on the roster they have the ex-rookie Jefferson who does have more of that deep speed we need, however let's be honest in recognizing that overall he also projects as a possession wideout. So the decision here is whether the team is better off by moving one of them and freeing up cap space by drafting a wideout to juice this wideout corps. Kupp's next three seasons are cap hits of $14M, $16M, and $15M and there's an out after the 2021 season which reduces risk for a team trading for him. Same thing with Woody at $13-14M over the next three seasons with an out after 2021. Both are plus players, Kupp is more impactful on tape but the injury risk makes up for that and both are nice trade pieces that will move quickly.

3. LT Noteboom. Boom probably has more value to us as a backup LT than he does in draft pick compensation so this is very unlikely. But he only has one year remaining and with the Rams poised to finally have a first round pick in 2022 (likely spot to address LT) the timing on things might lead the Rams to consider a move. It would also require Kromer to reaaaaally like his LT depth as much as he said he did (he talked up Evans and even Anchrum in that interview in 2020) but if that's true then all of a sudden it would make sense to cash in on Boom's value now.

4. QB Goff. This is extremely unlikely. But it is possible the Rams could move him if McVay wants to go in another direction. I don't think moving him prior to June 1st is an option for the Rams. Doing that comes with an overall 2021 cap hit of $10M as opposed to cap relief if they wait for June. Either way this would be a case of selling low which is what would bother me most about them doing it (Goff's value should be rebuilt behind a better OL first even if moving him is the plan) and if they move him to a team like Indy boy is there room to look stupid.

5. DT Donald. I almost didn't include this simply because of the replies I know are coming but then I did include this because of the replies I know are coming. Figure it might distract us for a while then we can go back to QB arguments eh? So this is the kind of thing the Rams probably wouldn't consider. But for me no player is untouchable at the right price and Donald's greatest value is right now. He is in his prime. He just won another DPOY award. His contract spikes this year at $27M cap hit but after this season it trends down nicely and has great value for a Hall of Fame player who is still in his HoF days and there's even an out after this season to protect the team making the trade. The trade value coming back would be enormous and enough to address LT or Edge and still have shots at upgrading or filling a position or two with starters. We have Robinson coming off a disappointing season but he looks rather fit and 3T is a good spot for him. Lastly for the record no way I do this however I think there is enough logic and reason to take a hard look at it.

Let me take these one at a time.

1. Hav. I completely concur on this one. Said it myself elsewhere.

2. Pains me to say this, but I could see a scenario where Rams trade one of them when and if they feel they could use the cap or picks or incoming trade player even more. Love both players on multiple levels but it’s a busines.

3. Boom. I could go either way, but I lean toward hanging on to him. Might be real handy if Whit gets hurt again OR as a possible replacement for Hav.

4. Goff. Don’t think this trade is extremely unlikely at all. I’m thinking that Goff’s days are numbered as a Ram. Could be a prearranged trade to be executed post June 1st, a player for player, or a player for pick(s) trade.

5. AD. You just touched the ‘3rd rail’, man. Lol. AD is untouchable. He helps this team in so many ways, both tangibly and intangibly. Hard pass on this one.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if he's right about all of them, but we need one more OL to get the OL back to where it needs to be and Jefferson needed a year to adjust to the NFL?

I certainly think the WRs will be good so I'm sure we'll find out next year

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
There's one problem with Woods/Kupp/Jefferson.
They are all the same WR. We have 3 Possesion WR's and have missed the Cooks type of WR.
We need a physical contrast. It could be a speed WR or a big one, but he has to be capable
of causing mismatches deep. Reynolds at 6'3 was supposed to be one of those guys, but has not
shown any of the jump ball ability he did in college.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams definitely need a deep threat WR, but before the OL is fixed, it doesn't really matter.