Offseason Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been going through our roster and contracts a little bit and have put together a list of trade possibilities. We have a lot of players who would be very desired on the market of course but for this what I am prioritizing are guys who have short duration left under contract (i.e. in their last year), represent roster redundancies, or are valuable to us potentially in some way via trade in terms of opening up cap space.

One thing I have not included in my logic here is board and fan favorite status. There are some below and I know many of you are going to lose your minds but that's nothing new. :ROFLMAO:

Lastly these are sorted in terms of likelihood. And some of these are moves nobody wants but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a look at the option and have an idea of the benefits and drawbacks.

1. RT Havenstein. This guy is a blue chip RT in the run game and he's got a lot of value considering that plus a contract that pays him $8M for the next two seasons. And as always the trade option that is easiest to pull off is for the guy you wouldn't want to trade. But in his case the Rams could use that cap room and I have reason to believe they could fill that RT role without too much dropoff. I mean this is why you draft and develop and Evans is just sitting there also Edwards may be able to lock down the right edge too. I feel like if they were to do this and also go get a FA addition for the middle (either C or G) the line as a whole is stronger. This is where drafting all those OTs with intent to move them inside may pay off. I think an OL of Whit / Edwards / FA / Corbett / Evans is better overall and the Rams would be positioned to take a tackle if one they like drops to them. Or even better would be Scherff at RG and a rookie at C but of course that is a pipe dream. :biggrin:

2. WR Kupp & WR Woods. We all knew the Rams would take care of Woody and I'm glad they did and all. But now we have over $27M tied up in two WRs who do the same thing, namely provide us with a possession option. Just below them on the roster they have the ex-rookie Jefferson who does have more of that deep speed we need, however let's be honest in recognizing that overall he also projects as a possession wideout. So the decision here is whether the team is better off by moving one of them and freeing up cap space by drafting a wideout to juice this wideout corps. Kupp's next three seasons are cap hits of $14M, $16M, and $15M and there's an out after the 2021 season which reduces risk for a team trading for him. Same thing with Woody at $13-14M over the next three seasons with an out after 2021. Both are plus players, Kupp is more impactful on tape but the injury risk makes up for that and both are nice trade pieces that will move quickly.

3. LT Noteboom. Boom probably has more value to us as a backup LT than he does in draft pick compensation so this is very unlikely. But he only has one year remaining and with the Rams poised to finally have a first round pick in 2022 (likely spot to address LT) the timing on things might lead the Rams to consider a move. It would also require Kromer to reaaaaally like his LT depth as much as he said he did (he talked up Evans and even Anchrum in that interview in 2020) but if that's true then all of a sudden it would make sense to cash in on Boom's value now.

4. QB Goff. This is extremely unlikely. But it is possible the Rams could move him if McVay wants to go in another direction. I don't think moving him prior to June 1st is an option for the Rams. Doing that comes with an overall 2021 cap hit of $10M as opposed to cap relief if they wait for June. Either way this would be a case of selling low which is what would bother me most about them doing it (Goff's value should be rebuilt behind a better OL first even if moving him is the plan) and if they move him to a team like Indy boy is there room to look stupid.

5. DT Donald. I almost didn't include this simply because of the replies I know are coming but then I did include this because of the replies I know are coming. Figure it might distract us for a while then we can go back to QB arguments eh? So this is the kind of thing the Rams probably wouldn't consider. But for me no player is untouchable at the right price and Donald's greatest value is right now. He is in his prime. He just won another DPOY award. His contract spikes this year at $27M cap hit but after this season it trends down nicely and has great value for a Hall of Fame player who is still in his HoF days and there's even an out after this season to protect the team making the trade. The trade value coming back would be enormous and enough to address LT or Edge and still have shots at upgrading or filling a position or two with starters. We have Robinson coming off a disappointing season but he looks rather fit and 3T is a good spot for him. Lastly for the record no way I do this however I think there is enough logic and reason to take a hard look at it.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Is Higs a option? Dont quite know how that would affect the cap.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Higs a option? Dont quite know how that would affect the cap.
He would be attractive in trade but we need him. He's our blocking TE and hopefully Hopkins is our receiving threat. Hopefully. Mundt will return but he struggled a bit this year compared to last in his run blocking.

Remove Higs and it's fugly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
5. DT Donald. I almost didn't include this simply because of the replies I know are coming but then I did include this because of the replies I know are coming. Figure it might distract us for a while then we can go back to QB arguments eh? So this is the kind of thing the Rams probably wouldn't consider. But for me no player is untouchable at the right price and Donald's greatest value is right now. He is in his prime. He just won another DPOY award. His contract spikes this year at $27M cap hit but after this season it trends down nicely and has great value for a Hall of Fame player who is still in his HoF days and there's even an out after this season to protect the team making the trade. The trade value coming back would be enormous and enough to address LT or Edge and still have shots at upgrading or filling a position or two with starters. We have Robinson coming off a disappointing season but he looks rather fit and 3T is a good spot for him. Lastly for the record no way I do this however I think there is enough logic and reason to take a hard look at it.

tenor.gif

:LOL:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
He would be attractive in trade but we need him. He's our blocking TE and hopefully Hopkins is our receiving threat. Hopefully. Mundt will return but he struggled a bit this year compared to last in his run blocking.

Remove Higs and it's fugly.
Cant mundt fill that role at a cheaper price?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so Giles. Higs' contract is team friendly too so I'd prefer we keep him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My take:

1. RT Havenstein is better that Evans. Outside of a cap emergency, I wouldn't move him.

2. WR Kupp & WR Woods. I agree that this team has too much money tied up at WR. I would have only extended Woods given that he's proven that he can win consistently in and out of the slot and with the addition of Van Jefferson. The speed threat coming this offseason shouldn't be your 4th WR.

3. LT Noteboom has little to no trade value. I wouldn't give him away. I'd keep him and hope for a contract year performance.

4. QB Goff. Unless overthecap.com is wrong the team would actually have a net $12.75 Million cap savings if Goff is traded. Most will scoff, but after watching the All 22 film of a few games, I'd try to trade Goff. His struggles making plays off structure simply don't justify that HUGE contract in my eyes.

5. DT Donald.:wtf:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Evans at RT? Scary thought there. I don't see an improvement there to be honest but if you can upgrade the Canter position along with that move it could possibly work. I'm hoping for a better lineup than that to be honest, I would like to see if Goff can turn it around and that starting 5 doesn't really give me confidence outside of Whit

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have Boom to play at LT. The biggest need of the Chargers is on their OL, especially at OT. As flawed as Havenstein is he is better than anyone they have. I have also heard that Sean knows the new Charger HC!

The cap situation right now is that the Rams have a cap deficit of $27.7M. They can reclaim about $15M by releasing 3 players, Havenstein, Whitworth, and Brockers. Those 3 moves would put them in striking distance of Floyd who will probably get about $13-$14M. Williams is a bit trickier because he's a RFA. This allows Williams to shop himself and after his play this year, he's going to draw a lot of interest. So the Rams are likely to slap a 1st round tender on him that he's clearly worth and hope for the best. But I don't see Snead waiting for others to make his decision. I think they will simply make him a fair market value contract and simply structure it to give them space this year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams have Boom to play at LT. The biggest need of the Chargers is on their OL, especially at OT. As flawed as Havenstein is he is better than anyone they have. I have also heard that Sean knows the new Charger HC!

The cap situation right now is that the Rams have a cap deficit of $27.7M. They can reclaim about $15M by releasing 3 players, Havenstein, Whitworth, and Brockers. Those 3 moves would put them in striking distance of Floyd who will probably get about $13-$14M. Williams is a bit trickier because he's a RFA. This allows Williams to shop himself and after his play this year, he's going to draw a lot of interest. So the Rams are likely to slap a 1st round tender on him that he's clearly worth and hope for the best. But I don't see Snead waiting for others to make his decision. I think they will simply make him a fair market value contract and simply structure it to give them space this year.
Cut three starters so we can pay Floyd?

No.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Seeing how this D looked against Green Bay with Donald at about 20% should scare the shit out of everyone. Totally different D with him not in the line up or not playing at 100%.

There isn’t anything out there that I would take in a trade for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Havenstein or Noteboom seem the most likely to me depending on their markets. If we deal Havenstein, I expect Noteboom starts at RT.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agree on trading Woods/Kupp and Havenstein.

Hell no on Donald; he and Ramsey about as untouchable as it gets.

Not sure what to think about Goff. Yes, we could trade him, but the dead cap makes it difficult. I'd rather just hang on to him for one more year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It’s difficult to trade players who have just signed extensions.

Often, it is more costly against the cap to move such a player (via trade or release) than to keep him.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Havenstein should stay. He is still a very young OT. He has 6 years of experience and is only 28 years old. I thought his play this year was on the correct trajectory after having a down year last year due to injury. It is almost as important of a position in the modern NFL as LT considering the quality of edge players that line up on over the RT. Khalil Mack, anyone? If you trade havenstein then it is most likely a net loss on the Oline...which is where we really need to get stronger. Is he elite? No. But he might get there. Either way he is definitely above average...don't have to have an all-pro.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-192609_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192609_Chrome.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20210123-192620_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192620_Chrome.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210123-192636_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192636_Chrome.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 51

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

The NFL will have some rules that help teams with the Cap. They arnt releasing anyone. Also, in no world do I release any of the oline that you mentioned to sign Floyd. Its not like Floyd is a world beater. How did he look against GB without AD at 100%

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Havenstein should stay. He is still a very young OT. He has 6 years of experience and is only 28 years old. I thought his play this year was on the correct trajectory after having a down year last year due to injury. It is almost as important of a position in the modern NFL as LT considering the quality of edge players that line up on over the RT. Khalil Mack, anyone? If you trade havenstein then it is most likely a net loss on the Oline...which is where we really need to get stronger. Is he elite? No. But he might get there. Either way he is definitely above average...don't have to have an all-pro.

I don't love the idea of trading Hav. He's a top 10 player at RT. But we have Noteboom waiting in the wings. We may want that cap space to boost another position. Noteboom won't be the run blocker Hav is, but he's a better pass blocker imo. My preference is to trade Noteboom and keep Hav. But it'll depend on the market for each.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been going through our roster and contracts a little bit and have put together a list of trade possibilities. We have a lot of players who would be very desired on the market of course but for this what I am prioritizing are guys who have short duration left under contract (i.e. in their last year), represent roster redundancies, or are valuable to us potentially in some way via trade in terms of opening up cap space.

One thing I have not included in my logic here is board and fan favorite status. There are some below and I know many of you are going to lose your minds but that's nothing new. :ROFLMAO:

Lastly these are sorted in terms of likelihood. And some of these are moves nobody wants but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a look at the option and have an idea of the benefits and drawbacks.

1. RT Havenstein. This guy is a blue chip RT in the run game and he's got a lot of value considering that plus a contract that pays him $8M for the next two seasons. And as always the trade option that is easiest to pull off is for the guy you wouldn't want to trade. But in his case the Rams could use that cap room and I have reason to believe they could fill that RT role without too much dropoff. I mean this is why you draft and develop and Evans is just sitting there also Edwards may be able to lock down the right edge too. I feel like if they were to do this and also go get a FA addition for the middle (either C or G) the line as a whole is stronger. This is where drafting all those OTs with intent to move them inside may pay off. I think an OL of Whit / Edwards / FA / Corbett / Evans is better overall and the Rams would be positioned to take a tackle if one they like drops to them. Or even better would be Scherff at RG and a rookie at C but of course that is a pipe dream. :biggrin:

2. WR Kupp & WR Woods. We all knew the Rams would take care of Woody and I'm glad they did and all. But now we have over $27M tied up in two WRs who do the same thing, namely provide us with a possession option. Just below them on the roster they have the ex-rookie Jefferson who does have more of that deep speed we need, however let's be honest in recognizing that overall he also projects as a possession wideout. So the decision here is whether the team is better off by moving one of them and freeing up cap space by drafting a wideout to juice this wideout corps. Kupp's next three seasons are cap hits of $14M, $16M, and $15M and there's an out after the 2021 season which reduces risk for a team trading for him. Same thing with Woody at $13-14M over the next three seasons with an out after 2021. Both are plus players, Kupp is more impactful on tape but the injury risk makes up for that and both are nice trade pieces that will move quickly.

3. LT Noteboom. Boom probably has more value to us as a backup LT than he does in draft pick compensation so this is very unlikely. But he only has one year remaining and with the Rams poised to finally have a first round pick in 2022 (likely spot to address LT) the timing on things might lead the Rams to consider a move. It would also require Kromer to reaaaaally like his LT depth as much as he said he did (he talked up Evans and even Anchrum in that interview in 2020) but if that's true then all of a sudden it would make sense to cash in on Boom's value now.

4. QB Goff. This is extremely unlikely. But it is possible the Rams could move him if McVay wants to go in another direction. I don't think moving him prior to June 1st is an option for the Rams. Doing that comes with an overall 2021 cap hit of $10M as opposed to cap relief if they wait for June. Either way this would be a case of selling low which is what would bother me most about them doing it (Goff's value should be rebuilt behind a better OL first even if moving him is the plan) and if they move him to a team like Indy boy is there room to look stupid.

If we do make trades, I hope we get good young talent or draft picks and not players ready to sign their first big contract. We need to get out of cap hell.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
giphy.gif