Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
Slappy967 said:
Really looking forward to the final preseason game as I will be seeing the final roster spots being sewn up in person.

I'm looking forward to it too. I still worry about even starters getting hurt playing one series or getting run over standing on the sidelines with their nifty free Rams baseball caps. There are some really interesting sub-plots:

1) RB- right now it is Richardson and Pead #2 (no matter what some fans may feel), but who is #2 for the first game with Pead suspended? I know it will be rotational but once Pead is back will Cunningham or Stacy be the 3rd RB?

2) OG- I think it is Williams' to lose but lately I'm getting the feeling that Smith may not only lose the starting job but may be cut.

3) Does McCleod go ahead and secure the starting safety job? Is Stewart in roster trouble?

4) Who wants, or can, be the #2 QB. So far less than enthusiastic about both.

5) Who gets the final WR job (if they keep 6) and how does it shake out as far as rotation? Does Quick break into the top 3 or does he stay behind Pettis (Yikes!), how far is Bailey from meaningful playing time when it counts?

6) What happens with LBer. Hull looks safe and Armstrong seems to have a job but what happens between Bates and Stewart and do they really go into a season with so little experience at the LBer position?

I know a lot of these are fluid situations and as the season goes on play, injury, and other factors will help clear it up but I am looking forward to the game for whatever unadulterated mess it is to watch.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
You can join Ramhusker and I at our game watching party if you bring the Dip. It was between you and some curvy girls. Fanatic Ram fan or curvy girl? No contest. :cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
6) What happens with LBer. Hull looks safe and Armstrong seems to have a job but what happens between Bates and Stewart and do they really go into a season with so little experience at the LBer position?
Well if you think about it, they're not really much more inexperienced at LB this year than they were last year. Hull can back up anybody, even though you hope it doesn't come to that, and Ogletree is an upgrade over Cole, Haggan and McIntosh. And were it not for the "lapse in judgement" from Dunbar, we'd probably be in much better shape as compared to last year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
F. Mulder said:
Slappy967 said:
Really looking forward to the final preseason game as I will be seeing the final roster spots being sewn up in person.

I'm looking forward to it too. I still worry about even starters getting hurt playing one series or getting run over standing on the sidelines with their nifty free Rams baseball caps. There are some really interesting sub-plots:

1) RB- right now it is Richardson and Pead #2 (no matter what some fans may feel), but who is #2 for the first game with Pead suspended? I know it will be rotational but once Pead is back will Cunningham or Stacy be the 3rd RB? To me, Cunningham. I haven't seen enough quality from Stacy.

2) OG- I think it is Williams' to lose but lately I'm getting the feeling that Smith may not only lose the starting job but may be cut. Williams, yes. Smith, a low possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

3) Does McCleod go ahead and secure the starting safety job? Is Stewart in roster trouble? Yes, and I think Stew could be in trouble.

4) Who wants, or can, be the #2 QB. So far less than enthusiastic about both. Flip a coin.

5) Who gets the final WR job (if they keep 6) and how does it shake out as far as rotation? Does Quick break into the top 3 or does he stay behind Pettis (Yikes!), how far is Bailey from meaningful playing time when it counts? All good questions, and no sure answers from me. I hope Quick does, and I hope Bailey progresses. Johnson, or Veltung? I'll pick Veltung, I guess, we'll see after the game.

6) What happens with LBer. Hull looks safe and Armstrong seems to have a job but what happens between Bates and Stewart and do they really go into a season with so little experience at the LBer position? Another good question. We could possibly make a move here, it all depends on how much these youngsters have progressed. They have been lucky to get so much PT. I have Stewart over Bates currently. I think he may have a future here.

I know a lot of these are fluid situations and as the season goes on play, injury, and other factors will help clear it up but I am looking forward to the game for whatever unadulterated mess it is to watch.Me too. I never miss a game, never.

Memphis Ram

Legend
<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/caplannfl</a>

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Eagles worked out two players yesterday: DT Bryan Hall and CB Robert Steeples. Steeples was waived by the Rams earlier this week.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Other cuts @ DL. The 4 ends are in concrete but the interior is much less so. With no real need of a 5th DE Rivers & Washington are hanging on by a thin hair. Washington had a good game in Denver but Rivers has much more upside & has had the better TC & pre season.

Inside has been mushy :huh: starters included...Brodine & Goebel have been working inside in the place of injured Cudjo but neither have done much to earn a spot on the master Roster. On paper Ram look short @ DT but both Hayes & Sims can man a DT spot for long periods of time & prove very effective so it's really not short. Hayes is sure carrying some serious poundage currently so some DT time will not hurt him.

Rivers will be very hard to release IMO & would bring some serious speed to the outside along with Quinn in passing situations...I can see 9 DL'ers easy & very happy with Rivers! with Brodine, Washington & Goebel cut.

In 2012 the OL was in constant change & injury after injury thus I could see a priority of going with @ the bare minimum of 9 Sam protectors. Cutting of Shelley Smith is sure possible but last yr, he was the main OL'er who remained healthy & started numerous games @ ORG & OLG who is still on our roster. OT Ty Neskhe has really improved @ OLT, but its his Right OT that is dismal. So IMO its down to Ty & Shelley as the 9th OL. Snead, Fisher & Boudreau like have have a recent history where they will comb the wire cuts & pick up an OL'er more to their liking and Shelley Smith just does not fit the Ram OL. IMO OG Smith, OG/ORT Washington, OT Nsekhe, OT Hooey & OT Young are cut. They cut down to 8.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
BonifayRam said:
Other cuts @ DL. The 4 ends are in concrete but the interior is much less so. With no real need of a 5th DE Rivers & Washington are hanging on by a thin hair. Washington had a good game in Denver but Rivers has much more upside & has had the better TC & pre season.

Inside has been mushy :huh: starters included...Brodine & Goebel have been working inside in the place of injured Cudjo but neither have done much to earn a spot on the master Roster. On paper Ram look short @ DT but both Hayes & Sims can man a DT spot for long periods of time & prove very effective so it's really not short. Hayes is sure carrying some serious poundage currently so some DT time will not hurt him.

Rivers will be very hard to release IMO & would bring some serious speed to the outside along with Quinn in passing situations...I can see 9 DL'ers easy & very happy with Rivers! with Brodine, Washington & Goebel cut.

In 2012 the OL was in constant change & injury after injury thus I could see a priority of going with @ the bare minimum of 9 Sam protectors. Cutting of Shelley Smith is sure possible but last yr, he was the main OL'er who remained healthy & started numerous games @ ORG & OLG who is still on our roster. OT Ty Neskhe has really improved @ OLT, but its his Right OT that is dismal. So IMO its down to Ty & Shelley as the 9th OL. Snead, Fisher & Boudreau like have have a recent history where they will comb the wire cuts & pick up an OL'er more to their liking and Shelley Smith just does not fit the Ram OL. IMO OG Smith, OG/ORT Washington, OT Nsekhe, OT Hooey & OT Young are cut. They cut down to 8.

I'm not sure. Fisher said they were very happy with the OL depth and are planning on keeping 2 or 3 more than you typically see teams keep. So that is around 11? I don't know if he was just throwing a smoke screen out there for some reason but he did say it on a "season ticket holder Q & A session" posted on another thread. Now that doesn't mean they don't cut down to 8 then sign a couple off of waivers.

fearsomefour

Legend
Could really see the Rams keeping Richardson, Pead, Stacy, Cunningham and Reynolds along with Cook, Kendricks and two other TEs. If the Rams keep 5 WRs part of the reason would be to keep that extra TE....to serve as an Hback type and also because Kendricks has been limited coming back.
Oline depth (havent seen the Ravens game yet) is a muddy pile to me. Barksdale, Barnes and Jones are locks to me....the rest, who knows? It will be interesting to see if the Rams keep 8 Olineman and go shopping after cuts or if they keep 9 and call it a day.
Two QBs or 3?
5 DEs seems like a real possibility too. I think Rivers is a keep at this point, Long, Quinn, Haynes and Sims are no brainers. A guy with speed who can make plays off the edge is hard to let go. I think he would get snatched up very quickly off the practice squad possibly by a 3/4 team looking for an OLB pass rusher.
Could the Rams keep 10 Dlineman? Probably not, but, with the running QBs in the NFC West I would be surprised if they didnt keep 9 Dlineman (Rivers being the 9th).
LB? JL, Dunbar, Ogletree, Witherspoon, Hull, Armstrong
3 QBs
5 RBs
4 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL
9 DL
6 LBs
5 CB
4 S
3 ST

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jimitroutboy said:
I think Darian Stewart is in big, big trouble.

Didn't he sign for less money than his rfa allowed for so it could all be guarenteed?

Smart move by him. Will they cut him if this is the case?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
kurtfaulk said:
jimitroutboy said:
I think Darian Stewart is in big, big trouble.

Didn't he sign for less money than his rfa allowed for so it could all be guarenteed?

Smart move by him. Will they cut him if this is the case?

Stewart got paid a 300K bonus already.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cuts have begun and added to 1st post. Cuts include Lutzenkirchen, Sammy Brown, Nick Johnson and others.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm probably putting the kiss of death on him but my man Veltung is still hanging in there. :ja:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Surprised to see Nick Johnson gone. Thought he had a good chance at the 6th WR spot. Would like to see Veltung get more KR looks.

A55VA6

Legend
Getting down to the real tough decisions now. Mason Brodine has been cut.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
A55VA6 said:
Getting down to the real tough decisions now. Mason Brodine has been cut.

I will remember his fumble recovery for at least another month or two.

bluecoconuts

Legend
iBruce said:
Surprised to see Nick Johnson gone. Thought he had a good chance at the 6th WR spot. Would like to see Veltung get more KR looks.

Word is they're leaning towards only keeping 5.

A55VA6

Legend
WOW unexpected twist: QB Austin Davis AND S Cody Davis have been released.

Here's the cuts so far today:

LB Sammy Brown
TE Philip Lutzenkirchen
OT D.J. Young
DE R.J. Washington
CB Drew Thomas
WR Nick Johnson
DT Garrett Goebel
S Rashard Hall
DE Mason Brodine
CB Andre Martin
TE Zach Potter