Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STLINI

UDFA
den-the-coach said:
CoachO said:
Also, it wouldn't shock me if they only keep 5 WRs to find a spot for an extra LB and/or Special Teams player, especially while Dunbar is suspended.

From one coach to another I concur with this assessment. Rams pretty solit at WR to this point and could very well keep an extra LB especially if one gets cut on the final cut down day, but if they keep 6 Veltung would be the guy because they feel good about him returning punts.

Yeah, I thought from the start that there would be a chance that we keep 5 WR, but my thinking was the fact that Cook will play as much WR as TE. I thought that 5 WR and 4 TE (including Cook) could be the way they go, unless a #6 WR was a big special teams guy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Re: Cuts have begun

X said:
BonifayRam said:
albefree69 said:
Helmick is just another tragic example of an injury derailing a UDFA's career.

I am sure that his absence from practices sure was one of the reasons but other elements may figure in too. With a bunch of new pass catchers like 6-5 Cook, 6-3 Pettis & Quick then 6-0 Givens & 5-10 Bailey then Austin @ 5-8 there may have not been suck a big need for another pass receiver like the 6-0 Andrew Helmick but more need for the 6th WR to be the better punt returner.

Where Helmick may be much more of a pass receiver. So it should come down to Veltung or Nick Johnson against the Ravens. I seem to think that Nick Johnson is the more rounded & experienced of the two myself.
*Someone* from camp has a little bit of insider information with regards to Helmick, dating back to his time in the Lindenwood program. I don't know any more than that, and I don't know if it factored into the decision to cut him early. So, basically, I just told you nothing. lol.

That someone from camp was me. I was talking to one of the trainers from Lindenwood, who came up to me, and asked specifically about Helmick one of the first days of camp. He made mention to the fact that he "was always "nicked up" and found a way out of practice" (he hinted that he didn't win any popularity contests with his teammates because of it)

Being the best player on the team, he could get away with not practicing, because he knew he would be playing on Saturday.

IMO, this had ZERO bearing on his being cut. His hamstring was legitimate, and I doubt seriously if he "faked" anything to get out of training camp.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CoachO said:
X said:
BonifayRam said:
albefree69 said:

I am sure that his absence from practices sure was one of the reasons but other elements may figure in too. With a bunch of new pass catchers like 6-5 Cook, 6-3 Pettis & Quick then 6-0 Givens & 5-10 Bailey then Austin @ 5-8 there may have not been suck a big need for another pass receiver like the 6-0 Andrew Helmick but more need for the 6th WR to be the better punt returner.

Where Helmick may be much more of a pass receiver. So it should come down to Veltung or Nick Johnson against the Ravens. I seem to think that Nick Johnson is the more rounded & experienced of the two myself.
*Someone* from camp has a little bit of insider information with regards to Helmick, dating back to his time in the Lindenwood program. I don't know any more than that, and I don't know if it factored into the decision to cut him early. So, basically, I just told you nothing. lol.

That someone from camp was me. I was talking to one of the trainers from Lindenwood, who came up to me, and asked specifically about Helmick one of the first days of camp. He made mention to the fact that he "was always "nicked up" and found a way out of practice" (he hinted that he didn't win any popularity contests with his teammates because of it)

Being the best player on the team, he could get away with not practicing, because he knew he would be playing on Saturday.

IMO, this had ZERO bearing on his being cut. His hamstring was legitimate, and I doubt seriously if he "faked" anything to get out of training camp.
Yeah, I was referring to you, but didn't want to single you out in case you wanted to remain anonymous. I appreciate the extra information because I wasn't aware of his work ethic. Did you get any indication that it translated into his time with the Rams? Because I don't remember hearing anything negative about him in that regard.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

X said:
CoachO said:
X said:
BonifayRam said:
albefree69 said:

Yeah, I was referring to you, but didn't want to single you out in case you wanted to remain anonymous. I appreciate the extra information because I wasn't aware of his work ethic. Did you get any indication that it translated into his time with the Rams? Because I don't remember hearing anything negative about him in that regard.

I didn't get any indication that it had anything to do with it. I had mentioned it to another poster who I "hang out with" at camp a couple of weeks ago, and he brought it up on the PD forum.

Honestly, I seriously doubt that it was an issue here, and I will be shocked if he isn't one of the first added to the PS.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OG Ryan Lee and OL Graham Pocic added to the list. (waved/injured)

Let me know if I'm missing any!

Memphis Ram

Legend
NRR: Titans released former Rams OT Barry Richardson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/491</a> ... richardson

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
NRR: Titans released former Rams OT Barry Richardson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/491</a> ... richardson
I wonder. If we stacked all the O-linemen (horizontally) who started here, but are now out of football or looking for a job, would it reach the moon?

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Some more Rams cuts trickling in: TE Colby Prince, WR Raymond Radway, WR Demetrius Fields.

No Helmick or Radway.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Raymond Radway cut. Thought so. My man Veltung is still hanging in there. If we decide to keep six his only remaining competition is Johnson. :bg:

A55VA6

Legend
Nick Johnson might find himself a roster spot. I like Veltung though. Hope we see them alot in the 4th game.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Me too. There are quite a few roster battles that might be decided in the last game. I'm probably the only guy here looking forward to seeing the game. :lol:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
albefree69 said:
Me too. There are quite a few roster battles that might be decided in the last game. I'm probably the only guy here looking forward to seeing the game. :lol:

Albefree feeling like he's on an island

Not so fast my friend! If the Rams are playing, I'm watching the whole thang!

And I think Veltung sticks on the roster for the time being unless he gets bumped by a new signee as in a OL or LB.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ramhusker recently shipwrecked:

I bringing the beer so I hope your bringing the chips.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
albefree69 said:
Ramhusker recently shipwrecked:

I bringing the beer so I hope your bringing the chips.

Albefree starting a party

Now all we need is a really curvy young ladies to bring the dip! :sly:

A55VA6

Legend
Final 2 cuts: LB Jabara Williams and OG Ryan Lee.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
A55VA6 said:

Hadn't heard much about Jabara this offseason. Guess this makes sense.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iBruce said:
A55VA6 said:

He couldn't make the practice field, or he may have had a job.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
iBruce said:
A55VA6 said:

He couldn't make the practice field, or he may have had a job.

It was his job to lose. He got hurt the first weekend of training camp, when he was taking ALL his reps with the 2nd unit. Guys like Bates, J. Stewart and yes, the "folk hero" Ray (I refuse to call him Ray Ray) Armstrong all mad Williams expendable.

I was hoping to see him come back, mainly to see if they would put him back with the 2's, in much the same fashion they put Daniels back there when he was activated.

Oh well,,,, wish him luck, and time to move on!!!

Slappy967

Starter
Really looking forward to the final preseason game as I will be seeing the final roster spots being sewn up in person.