Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
First round of cuts:

WR Andrew Helmick
CB Robert Steeples
LS Jorgen Hus
P/K Brett Baer
QB Tim Jenkins
LB Joseph LeBeau
DT Al Lapuaho
OG Ryan Lee
OL Graham Pocic
TE Colby Prince
WR Raymond Radway
WR Demetrius Fields
LB Jabara Williams
OG Ryan Lee

Second round of cuts

LB Sammy Brown
TE Philip Lutzenkirchen
OT D.J. Young
DE R.J. Washington
CB Drew Thomas
WR Nick Johnson
DT Garrett Goebel
S Rashard Hall
DE Mason Brodine
CB Andre Martin
TE Zach Potter
S Cody Davis
QB Austin Davis
WR Emory Blake
WR Justin Veltung
CB Darren Woodard
LB Josh Hull
OT Ty Nsekhe
FB Eric Stevens
OL Sean Hooey

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Re: Cuts have begun

A55VA6 said:
WR Andrew Helmick
CB Robert Steeples
LS Jorgen Hus
P/K Brett Baer

Will update as they are released

Keep in mind, they already released Cameron Graham, and Terrance Ganaway has left the team. So the first round of cuts will only be an add'l 13 players to get to the 75 player roster limit.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler

Both Steeples and Helmick seemed to stay on the sidelines an awful lot Monday-Wednesday. In the case of Steeples he flashed early but never seemed to gain any traction in practice or playing time. He lost out to Woodard in practice time over the last week and Woodard plainly moved ahead of him after Saturday.

Any cornerbacks fighting for a spot right now are looking at the practice squad.

Helmick was very limited in practice time and reps after his hamstring pull. He did get time on special team drills but Veltung got way more as a returner and Andrew never seemed to get any traction on the chase squads.

In a lot of ways its a favor to these guys if they can get a spot on someone else's squad before the final cut down.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

How long before anyone can be added to practice squad?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Helmick is just another tragic example of an injury derailing a UDFA's career.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Tron said:
How long before anyone can be added to practice squad?
I think after the final cuts is when teams build their scout team.

V3

Hall of Fame

albefree69 said:

I'm not sure this will derail his career. I'd bet good money that they plan on bringing him back to the PS. It's kind of a good thing for him. He gets a year to grow on the PS. It's hard enough for big school WR's to succeed in the NFL, let alone a small school like Lindenwood. The Rams didn't play Helmick much, not only because of the injury but also, in my opinion, because they didn't want much tape on him getting out. They don't want other teams to claim him. The less tape on him the better. I think he'll make the team next year.

lockdnram21

Legend
Even if he is on our practice squad I dont think he has a chance at making our team next year unless somebody gets hurt. I think we will have a good receiving Corp with Quick, Austin, Givens, Pettis and probably Radway

CoachO

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
Even if he is on our practice squad I dont think he has a chance at making our team next year unless somebody gets hurt. I think we will have a good receiving Corp with Quick, Austin, Givens, Pettis and probably Radway

What is your fascination with Radway? I'm not trying to a wise a$$, but you really seem to be high on a guy, who is 26 years old, drops as many balls as he catches, quits on routes when he doesn't think he is going to be targeted.

And before you rip me for asking, (cuz that's all I am doing), everything I just mentioned, are things I have watched DAILY for 4 weeks. I'm just curious why you are so high on him.

lockdnram21

Legend
He has the height and size and speed, and if helmick didnt make it who else is going to make it?

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Veltung is an interesting player. Not sure if he's shown enough.. but I'd like to see more of him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
He has the height and size and speed, and if helmick didnt make it who else is going to make it?

Trust me, size and speed are his only assets,,, hands and HEART aren't!

I think they are very high on Justin Veltung, based on how fast he moved up the Depth Chart and has been given more than a token look as a return guy.

And don't count out Nick Johnson.

Also, it wouldn't shock me if they only keep 5 WRs to find a spot for an extra LB and/or Special Teams player, especially while Dunbar is suspended.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Newest cuts added to 1st page:

QB Tim Jenkins
LB Joseph LeBeau
DT Al Lapuaho.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CoachO said:
Also, it wouldn't shock me if they only keep 5 WRs to find a spot for an extra LB and/or Special Teams player, especially while Dunbar is suspended.

From one coach to another I concur with this assessment. Rams pretty solid at WR to this point and could very well keep an extra LB especially if one gets cut on the final cut down day, but if they keep 6 Veltung would be the guy because they feel good about him returning punts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

albefree69 said:

I am sure that his absence from practices sure was one of the reasons but other elements may figure in too. With a bunch of new pass catchers like 6-5 Cook, 6-3 Pettis & Quick then 6-0 Givens & 5-10 Bailey then Austin @ 5-8 there may have not been suck a big need for another pass receiver like the 6-0 Andrew Helmick but more need for the 6th WR to be the better punt returner.

Where Helmick may be much more of a pass receiver. So it should come down to Veltung or Nick Johnson against the Ravens. I seem to think that Nick Johnson is the more rounded & experienced of the two myself.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

BonifayRam said:
albefree69 said:

I am sure that his absence from practices sure was one of the reasons but other elements may figure in too. With a bunch of new pass catchers like 6-5 Cook, 6-3 Pettis & Quick then 6-0 Givens & 5-10 Bailey then Austin @ 5-8 there may have not been suck a big need for another pass receiver like the 6-0 Andrew Helmick but more need for the 6th WR to be the better punt returner.

Where Helmick may be much more of a pass receiver. So it should come down to Veltung or Nick Johnson against the Ravens. I seem to think that Nick Johnson is the more rounded & experienced of the two myself.
*Someone* from camp has a little bit of insider information with regards to Helmick, dating back to his time in the Lindenwood program. I don't know any more than that, and I don't know if it factored into the decision to cut him early. So, basically, I just told you nothing. lol.