OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He'll make some changes, but he's going to build around the core we have. Ogletree is one of the core members.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat if it meant securing a quality LT.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
That's my value on those 2. Jackson is going to want 10 million at least and Garcon is going to want that 8-9 million. Neither 1 of those guys put our receiver corps over the top so yes I put that as over paying. Like I said I understand why they would look attractive but to me the contract that they would want isn't something I would do. I would much rather pay Britt his 6-7 million per year and sign a a guy like Pryor for 10-11. If we are going to pay market value for a wr I rather he be Pryor

IMO, Britt & Pryor don't put the WR Corps over the top either. The benefit of Jackson, is that he is a bonafide field stretcher. He averaged 17.9 yards per completion. He is a threat to get over the top of a defense whenever he is on the field, and he already knows McVay's system. You could also get Kenny Stills who averaged 17.3 YPC coming off his rookie contract for less then what you would pay Pryor. You could get both for under 15-mil per year and their ability to stretch the field will open things up for the other receivers and TE's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Britt & Pryor don't put the WR Corps over the top either. The benefit of Jackson, is that he is a bonafide field stretcher. He averaged 17.9 yards per completion. He is a threat to get over the top of a defense whenever he is on the field, and he already knows McVay's system. You could also get Kenny Stills who averaged 17.3 YPC coming off his rookie contract for less then what you would pay Pryor. You could get both for under 15-mil per year and their ability to stretch the field will open things up for the other receivers and TE's.

Precisely. We should be looking for guys who fit the scheme. Jackson and Stills would both fill an important role because of McVay's emphasis on attacking vertically in his scheme. In addition to a guy like Jackson or Stills, we'd need to add more of a possession WR in FA or the draft.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, their stats are basically identical. That's the point. He didn't produce more than either of them. Yes, Cleveland's QBs sucked, but Washington spread the ball around in their passing game. Travis Benjamin, in 2015, produced similarly to Pryor, in 2016, with the same sort of QBs. Somebody is going to produce when you give them enough targets.

So yes, Pryor has more upside due to his age, but he also has a lot more downside because he has no track record beyond this year. It's a far greater risk on a WR who hasn't proven to be better than Jackson or Garcon.

What concerns does Pryor have? He's had multiple ex-teammates call him out, and multiple CBs have called him out. The guy has done something to make so many people dislike him.

Then I disagree with you. Jackson or Garcon both do this. Especially if we add another WR in the Draft or FA. We need a proven player. I'll pay market value for that. Britt and Pryor would leave me very disappointed because neither is proven.

If we go for a guy like Pryor, we need to add a proven vet.

Those same concerns are shared by Jackson as well. You don't need Jackson when you have Austin. We have too much redundancy already in the Wr room. For all the talk about Britt not being proven because he just had his First 1000 yard year, he was on pace for over a 1000 yards the last 3 seasons. Bad web play hurt him. Missing him deep or not throwing to him when he is completely open. He is one of the wr I have seen to dominate Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson every time they play. With everything being said about his drops he is still top ten in the league on contested catches and this from a guy that goes up against some of the best corners in the game.

My point about Pryor is that even though defenses knew he was the only threat he still caught the same amount of balls that they did with the same yards and touchdowns. I know the easy route would be to get those guys. But to me you don't Britt out produced both of those guys with a bad shoulder and a bad qb. Britt and Goff have a good connection going it will only get better with more time he will have to start all over with them while learning a new system. Who will he have confidence in when a play breaks down because as we saw last year even if you're open and Goff doesn't trust you he's not throwing the ball to you.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kenny stills only had 42 catches
Jackson only 56
Prior had 68
Britt had 77.

We all know how averages work right. Kenny Still is a good player but most of his yards came off of 1 play 1 52 yard catch 1 74 yard catch. Those are the plays he had this year because that Miami team was very good offensively. He only had 2 100 yard games. Britt and Pryor both put up numbers on anemic offenses. If we want a real number 1 guy we need someone that can run every route and be physical and can still go deep. To me that's Pryor. Jackson is going to want 10 million Stills is in that 6-7 might be 8 because of how young he still is. No way imho we can get them both for under 15 million

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Precisely. We should be looking for guys who fit the scheme. Jackson and Stills would both fill an important role because of McVay's emphasis on attacking vertically in his scheme. In addition to a guy like Jackson or Stills, we'd need to add more of a possession WR in FA or the draft.

How many of them do you want. Or do you just want to get rid of everyone we already drafted

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point about Pryor is that even though defenses knew he was the only threat he still caught the same amount of balls that they did with the same yards and touchdowns
You wanna know why? Because he had 140 targets!
Garcon only 114, Jackson 100 and still produced same results
I think Pryor was a nice story but keep in mind that Cleveland was behind by a lot in many of the games, many of his yards/catches in garbage time. Which for Cleveland was pretty much the 2nd quarter on...
Garcon has produced for multiple teams and in Washington for 2 different coaching staffs. Pryor? Finally showed something but lets see a bit more of that, don't need another Drew Bennett 1 year wonder..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You wanna know why? Because he had 140 targets!
Garcon only 114, Jackson 100 and still produced same results
I think Pryor was a nice story but keep in mind that Cleveland was behind by a lot in many of the games, many of his yards/catches in garbage time. Which for Cleveland was pretty much the 2nd quarter on...
Garcon has produced for multiple teams and in Washington for 2 different coaching staffs. Pryor? Finally showed something but lets see a bit more of that, don't need another Drew Bennett 1 year wonder..

You pretty much just made my point. He was the focal point of that offense and defenses knew that. I rather have 2 borderline number 1 receivers in Britt and Pryor then more number 2 guys or do you think Jackson and Gracon are number 1 receivers. And when you say Pryor finally showed something that's funny cause this was basically his first year at WR. I get why everyone wants these guys and if the price is right get them. That's what this entire conversation was about.. Money

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You pretty much just made my point. He was the focal point of that offense and defenses knew that. I rather have 2 borderline number 1 receivers in Britt and Pryor then more number 2 guys or do you think Jackson and Gracon are number 1 receivers. And when you say Pryor finally showed something that's funny cause this was basically his first year at WR. I get why everyone wants these guys and if the price is right get them. That's what this entire conversation was about.. Money

Neither Britt nor Pryor have proven to be borderline #1 WRs. Both Jackson and Garcon have a season where they've posted 1300+ yards. Britt and Pryor have never even posted 1100 yards in a season. If Garcon and Jackson aren't #1 WRs, neither are Britt and Pryor.

This was not Pryor's first year at WR. Pryor switched to WR last year. You're advocating spending a lot of money on a guy who is a pretty major risk.

How many of them do you want. Or do you just want to get rid of everyone we already drafted

In the post you quoted, I recommended bringing in two new WRs while letting Britt walk. You recommended bringing in one new WR and keeping Britt. We're talking about the same number of WRs. So I don't know what you're going on about here.

Those same concerns are shared by Jackson as well. You don't need Jackson when you have Austin. We have too much redundancy already in the Wr room.

Austin would play the Jamison Crowder role. There's not redundancy there. Austin hasn't proven himself to be a deep threat.

For all the talk about Britt not being proven because he just had his First 1000 yard year, he was on pace for over a 1000 yards the last 3 seasons.

No, he wasn't on pace for a 1000 yard season prior to this year.

My point about Pryor is that even though defenses knew he was the only threat he still caught the same amount of balls that they did with the same yards and touchdowns.

So did Travis Benjamin in 2015. Somebody has to get the targets.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when Cleveland is down by 20 points, defenses allow completions in the middle of the field. Its junk time.
Pryor may or may not be the real deal, no way you can tell off one season.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither Britt nor Pryor have proven to be borderline #1 WRs. Both Jackson and Garcon have a season where they've posted 1300+ yards. Britt and Pryor have never even posted 1100 yards in a season. If Garcon and Jackson aren't #1 WRs, neither are Britt and Pryor.

This was not Pryor's first year at WR. Pryor switched to WR last year. You're advocating spending a lot of money on a guy who is a pretty major risk.

In the post you quoted, I recommended bringing in two new WRs while letting Britt walk. You recommended bringing in one new WR and keeping Britt. We're talking about the same number of WRs. So I don't know what you're going on about here.

Austin would play the Jamison Crowder role. There's not redundancy there. Austin hasn't proven himself to be a deep threat.

No, he wasn't on pace for a 1000 yard season prior to this year.

So did Travis Benjamin in 2015. Somebody has to get the targets.

I said it was basically his first year you know as in his first time starting a year out as a wide receiver his first time going to camp as a wide receiver.

There where at least 5 plays last in 2015 alone of about 60 yards each that that was missed when Britt was open.

Garcon and Jackson played in qb friendly systems and played with much better QB talent then Britt ever had. I dont see how you cant get that. That Qb and system makes a receiver seem better then they are. Or in Britt case makes he appear worst then he is.

Whether we target Pryor or dont I dont care I think it would be a mistake getting jackson or Garcon just because of McVay. And in your post you made it seem like you wanted Both jackson and Garcon and then draft a wr. If i misread that. Thats my bad. So now we blame a guy for catching balls because he is the only one on the team that can lol. So I guess Josh Gordon was the same too.

I can see Austin playing Crowder role he should have been used that way all along Jackson established his self as a deep threat because his coaches had him running those routes and Austin coaches had him running sweeps and reverses.

Ultimately its about what the coaches see and if they feel like they can make them better. I feel like Britt and Austin can get better while Jackson and Garcon has already peaked and now they are 7-800 yard receivers 4-5 touchdowns.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when Cleveland is down by 20 points, defenses allow completions in the middle of the field. Its junk time.
Pryor may or may not be the real deal, no way you can tell off one season.

I have never said he was the real deal. At the end of the day though he out jumps and out muscle a lot of CBs and run past them too. He has the tools and the traits and for this to be his first full year at WR those tools translated well.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Give me Stills and Garcon at an affordable market value and I think we're good with receivers. We'll have them, Austin, Spruce, Coop, and Marquez to work with. I like Thomas, but unless he comes out of camp with better hands, I don't see him making the team. It could come down to both he and Marquez fighting for last WR spot, since both do a great job on special teams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it was basically his first year you know as in his first time starting a year out as a wide receiver his first time going to camp as a wide receiver.

Terrelle Pryor went to camp as a wide receiver last year. This isn't his first year as a WR.

There where at least 5 plays last in 2015 alone of about 60 yards each that that was missed when Britt was open.

Those plays still don't count. They don't put him on pace for 1000 yards. He didn't catch the ball.

Garcon and Jackson played in qb friendly systems and played with much better QB talent then Britt ever had. I dont see how you cant get that. That Qb and system makes a receiver seem better then they are. Or in Britt case makes he appear worst then he is.

I get it. I don't care. Jackson and Garcon have a proven track record. Britt does not. How do you not get that?

Go look at what happened the last time Jeff Fisher was fired. Britt became a locker room cancer. We already had some issues with Britt quitting on routes in 2016. I don't trust Britt.

Give me a WR who knows the system with a track record of success over Britt.

Whether we target Pryor or dont I dont care I think it would be a mistake getting jackson or Garcon just because of McVay. And in your post you made it seem like you wanted Both jackson and Garcon and then draft a wr. If i misread that. Thats my bad.

I said that we should sign a guy like Jackson or Stills to fill the deep threat role and then either sign a FA or draft a WR to fill the possession WR role.

I'm not saying target Jackson or Garcon JUST BECAUSE of McVay. The fact that they know McVay's system is only a benefit. I'd be saying target Jackson or Garcon if we had hired Kyle Shanahan. They're proven veteran WRs.

So now we blame a guy for catching balls because he is the only one on the team that can lol. So I guess Josh Gordon was the same too.

Actually, we are cautious about throwing a bunch of money at a guy with only one year of production on a bad team.

I do think Josh Gordon was overrated by people making similar arguments that you have.(trying to build him up because he played on the Browns)

Ultimately its about what the coaches see and if they feel like they can make them better. I feel like Britt and Pryor can get better while Jackson and Garcon has already peaked and now they are 7-800 yard receivers 4-5 touchdowns.

I'm not much interested in continuing to bet on underachievers. Goff deserves a safe bet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me Stills and Garcon at an affordable market value and I think we're good with receivers. We'll have them, Austin, Spruce, Coop, and Marquez to work with. I like Thomas, but unless he comes out of camp with better hands, I don't see him making the team. It could come down to both he and Marquez fighting for last WR spot, since both do a great job on special teams.

I'm taking Thomas over Marquez.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Why? The Rams don't need to add more unproven WRs. They have three options. Sign two proven WRs. Sign one proven WR and re-sign Britt. Sign one proven WR and draft one or two unproven WRs.
I agree , no more project wr !

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Defense: resign Tru and possible bring in another cb if Gaines is still struggling ( I think he can be a sold #2 corner ) other than that we are good on defense , will only get better with new coaches.

Offense : bring in a proven wr and resign britt . Bring in a proven LT

I honestly think with an few signing this team is a playoff contender, should of been last season if you look at talent but coaching was awful

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never said he was the real deal. At the end of the day though he out jumps and out muscle a lot of CBs and run past them too. He has the tools and the traits and for this to be his first full year at WR those tools translated well.
If you're going to pay him 10 mill per year, he had better be the real deal