OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
WR - Alshon Jeffery, Pierre Garcon, Kenny Stills, Markus Wheaton.
C - J.C. Tretter.
OG - Larry Warford
OT - Andrew Whitworth.
OLB - Demarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney.
CB - A.J. Bouye, Brandon Carr.

Some good choices there. I think Garçon would be a great fit since he already knows McVay and the system. He's hitting his 30's now, but he's still producing at a good level, and he's durable and productive. If we lose Britt, he'd be a nice replacement.

Last 3 years under McVay's offense:
2016 ---- 16 games started, 79 catches, 1,041 yards, 13.2 AVG., 3 TD
2015 ---- 16 games started, 72 catches, 777 yards, 10.8 AVG., 6 TD
2014 ---- 14 games started, 68 catches, 752 yards, 11.1 AVG., 3 TD

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some here wish to draft or use free agency on an OG or two, where I believe we have our guards already on the team. The Rams drafted a boatload of Offensive linemen a couple seasons ago, and only Havenstein has proven himself as a worthy starter. Not saying guys like Brown, Wichmann & Donnal don't have value, they may yet prove themselves as solid depth, but they aren't starting material, at least not as coached by Boudreau & Boras. Saffold was our highest graded OL, he earned the LG spot after spending years getting bounced around from position to position, ... make it permanent for him. What I really wish for is ending the Greg Robinson experiment at LT, and moving him inside to RG. The man is a born mauler, and the interior doesn't require the great footwork expected of him at LT. I would be spending my efforts seeking a LT and Center, whether by trade, free agency or the draft, although my preference would be by trade or free agency as our OL is in need of more veteran help being as young as they are. Without a quality LT, Goff will constantly be anticipating being chased or clobbered from his blind side, without a quality Center, Gurley will be anticipating being hit immediately upon hand-off before even reaching the l.o.s. Most of what we need is already available, but those two OL positions must, must, must ... be dealt with to get our highly regarded and highly drafted QB & RB on track. Set Goff and Gurley free, add a quality receiver and a McVay scheme, this offense won't be recognizable to the league or us in 2017. jmo.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RotoWorld :

The Rams are expected to look to upgrade at left tackle this offseason.

2014 No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson has been a colossal draft bust and was benched repeatedly last season. The Rams may give Robinson a shot to compete for a starting job at guard, but he is unlikely to return on Jared Goff's blind side. The Rams need multiple offensive-line reinforcements after Goff absorbed a league-high 25 sacks over the final six games.

Source: ESPN.com

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RotoWorld :

The Rams are expected to look to upgrade at left tackle this offseason.

2014 No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson has been a colossal draft bust and was benched repeatedly last season. The Rams may give Robinson a shot to compete for a starting job at guard, but he is unlikely to return on Jared Goff's blind side. The Rams need multiple offensive-line reinforcements after Goff absorbed a league-high 25 sacks over the final six games.

Source: ESPN.com

I read their source. The article is speculation from a ESPN reporter. The Rams haven't said one way or another what their plans are.

TexasRam

Legend
We have 40 mil in cap space even before dropping a few big contracts.

Rams need at least 2 OL Free
agents.

Rams also need to overpay for Jackson or Garçon. Wr's that know the system and can come in and immediately impact the offense under Mcvay.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some good choices there. I think Garçon would be a great fit since he already knows McVay and the system. He's hitting his 30's now, but he's still producing at a good level, and he's durable and productive. If we lose Britt, he'd be a nice replacement.

Last 3 years under McVay's offense:
2016 ---- 16 games started, 79 catches, 1,041 yards, 13.2 AVG., 3 TD
2015 ---- 16 games started, 72 catches, 777 yards, 10.8 AVG., 6 TD
2014 ---- 14 games started, 68 catches, 752 yards, 11.1 AVG., 3 TD
Looks like Britt production under a more strained offense. That's why you keep Britt Goff doesn't need to be throwing to completely new wr.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have 40 mil in cap space even before dropping a few big contracts.

Rams need at least 2 OL Free
agents.

Rams also need to overpay for Jackson or Garçon. Wr's that know the system and can come in and immediately impact the offense under Mcvay.

I disagree you don't overpay for guys like that. If you are going to overpay might as well bring in Alshon. We have too many holes to over pay guys just because they know the system.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
1. Alshon
2. Tretter
3. Leary/Warford
4. Resign Tru or a CB that fits the system

If we come away with that, I'll feel much better about where were going this season.

That would really free up the draft for a LT, Receiver, CB, and/or some linebackers.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I disagree you don't overpay for guys like that. If you are going to overpay might as well bring in Alshon. We have too many holes to over pay guys just because they know the system.

The reason they make sense is that Goff will be learning a new system and needs the receivers to not screw things up. Both those guys are talented vets who will be where they belong and help coach up the remaining corps.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm betting on Aaron Kromer to fix Greg Robinson, that's right, I believe Robinson can be fixed. Let's be honest, he usually gets beat on stunts and things of that nature and he is penalized some his fault, but also because the useless officials of the NFL have him on their radar and anything close, they throw a flag.

I believe the Rams now have one of the premier offensive line coaches in the NFL and it would not shock me that all of the sudden, GROB is just much better. Before Kromer was in Buffalo the Bills had an under performing unit and Kromer turned them into one of the best running teams in the NFL, but again we will know how they feel about the current talent with moves they make in free agency.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sometimes I believe it's ok to overpay for a guy. Let's face it, in FA your going to over pay for most players.

Cortland Finnigan is a great example. He had a hefty contract,but what he brought to our young defense can't be valued. He brought attitude and toughness. His aggressive play shaped our young players into one of the nastiest Defenses in the league and gave them an identity.
I would take a guy like Richie Incognito without a second thought at this point. We need our Big Uglies to be mean as hell. I want our
olinemen to have the attitude that they can manhandle anyone in front of them

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm betting on Aaron Kromer to fix Greg Robinson, that's right, I believe Robinson can be fixed. Let's be honest, he usually gets beat on stunts and things of that nature and he is penalized some his fault, but also because the useless officials of the NFL have him on their radar and anything close, they throw a flag.

I believe the Rams now have one of the premier offensive line coaches in the NFL and it would not shock me that all of the sudden, GROB is just much better. Before Kromer was in Buffalo the Bills had an under performing unit and Kromer turned them into one of the best running teams in the NFL, but again we will know how they feel about the current talent with moves they make in free agency.

You make excellent points there, den.

After McVay himself and Wade, I think Kromer is our best coaching hire.

I expect big improvement from existing players. And yeah, maybe even salvaging GRob's career.

What Kromer did with the Bills OL speaks volumes.

Not to say that Kromer and McVay might prefer going for a FA or two, mind you. They just might.

But one way or another I feel strongly that we will see a good to very good OL this year.

Coaching really matters.

Been saying that for two years.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Will be nice to get away from Fishers wr picks. He never looks at hands as far as catching he primarily looked for blocking recievers was the same in Tennessee.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Rams need a vet OLineman. I know, Rams haven't faired well in the past signing FA vets. But that's in the past and the Rams need OL help, BADLY. Barnes has no business starting at C. Start there.
I agree. Get a veteran center to help out the QB with protections. One that doesn't get pushed into the back field. That will help everything on the offense. I am not sure about the rest of the OL, it seems that the complete fail was a huge step back from a bad year the year before. I want to see what the coaching change brings. Maybe it brings wholesale personnel changes, so be it. But I think there is talent. Now that I have cooled off, I remember when they moved Saffold inside and how effective he was. Then when he was finally repaired 2 years later he was the worst he has ever been? I don't know, but maybe, just maybe, the players just lost respect for the coaching. These guys had to see how bad the sceam was way before we did. Maybe it took the little something extra a player needs to have to succeed in this game. Belief. I know, they are getting paid big bucks to play a game, blah blah. They tried for the first half of the season, but then it became apparent that they were just banging there heads against a wall. Just saying.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I agree. Get a veteran center to help out the QB with protections. One that doesn't get pushed into the back field. That will help everything on the offense. I am not sure about the rest of the OL, it seems that the complete fail was a huge step back from a bad year the year before. I want to see what the coaching change brings. Maybe it brings wholesale personnel changes, so be it. But I think there is talent. Now that I have cooled off, I remember when they moved Saffold inside and how effective he was. Then when he was finally repaired 2 years later he was the worst he has ever been? I don't know, but maybe, just maybe, the players just lost respect for the coaching. These guys had to see how bad the sceam was way before we did. Maybe it took the little something extra a player needs to have to succeed in this game. Belief. I know, they are getting paid big bucks to play a game, blah blah. They tried for the first half of the season, but then it became apparent that they were just banging there heads against a wall. Just saying.

I think we got talent already, you are right this team did seem like they gave up on the mediocre coaching. They made moves that weren't correct moves, and possibly moves that made the players seemed like they failed miserably. We will see what changes come soon enough.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
I wonder how much it would cost to buy a Jugs Machine for each receiver on the team. Have their significant others running the balls through the machine at them 24-7.

Well, maybe let them have one hour a day for sex and food I guess...

A55VA6

Legend
Looks like Britt production under a more strained offense. That's why you keep Britt Goff doesn't need to be throwing to completely new wr.
Right. Britt would be priority but if he leaves, Garcon is a nice option to replace him.

A55VA6

Legend
You make excellent points there, den.

After McVay himself and Wade, I think Kromer is our best coaching hire.

I expect big improvement from existing players. And yeah, maybe even salvaging GRob's career.

What Kromer did with the Bills OL speaks volumes.

Not to say that Kromer and McVay might prefer going for a FA or two, mind you. They just might.

But one way or another I feel strongly that we will see a good to very good OL this year.

Coaching really matters.

Been saying that for two years.
I'm just really impressed with the coaching staff McVay has been able to put together. Really gives me hope about our future.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd still like to target a couple guys to assist that defensive transition. We could use a true 3-4 ILB and maybe a NT, but I think Brockers could grow into that role.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Rams need a vet OLineman. I know, Rams haven't faired well in the past signing FA vets. But that's in the past and the Rams need OL help, BADLY. Barnes has no business starting at C. Start there.
Aaaannd ........... we have a couple of turnstiles lining up at RG.