OBJ signs with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm saying they were in the market for a wr after this last game, but previous to that I do not believe they were. Reynolds requested a release Tuesday, so that makes sense considering the timeline.

Hard to tell, but you may be right. Seems many have already forgotten that we basically lost two WR's within days of each other. DeSean lost his mind, then TuTu Atwell was injured and hit the IR. Had Jackson kept his mouth shut for just a few more days we may have never been seeking out another WR.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

i'm not excited one bit by this signing. it's just going too far with the free agents.

i guess i'm just different. to me it will just cheapen the superbowl victory if they actually do it. like the rams didn't build up to it, got better gradually with their players that they nurtured into champions. they just bought it with these johnny come latelys.

i might be out of this year. i'll see how i feel tomorrow.

Many teams had their shot to get him and we took ours. We still have to abide by a salary cap like every other team. Not anyones fault that our smart ass front office can pull this off. Just enjoy the ride. We never control who the Rams sign anyways.

RamWoodie

Legend
I ain't sure what to think. I wasn't a fan of this move at all but there are strong leaders on this team so I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Cory

UDFA
I've never really understood why people get upset with signings like this? Take the talent at the price it's coming for, because the reward is far greater than the risk for this year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I've never really understood why people get upset with signings like this? Take the talent at the price it's coming for, because the reward is far greater than the risk for this year.
OBJ is polarizing. Many people just decided they didn’t like him - and it takes an adjustment when someone like that is all of a sudden on your team. There was some of this with Ramsey too early on. They will come around.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
They put in a claim for Josh Reynolds. They were in fact looking to add a WR.

100% snaps for Woods and Kupp and 96% for VJ? That’s not sustainable
Yeah, Rams took unexpected hits at wr with Jackson, Atwell and Harris all exiting the scene within a week or so of each other. We needed reinforcements. OBJ fits the bill much better than someone from the practice squad. Now McVay needs to make the rotation work.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
OBJ is polarizing. Many people just decided they didn’t like him - and it takes an adjustment when someone like that is all of a sudden on your team. There was some of this with Ramsey too early on. They will come around.
Imo anyone who becomes a Ram, or at least anyone who has so far, deserves a second chance even if he might have been a bit of a diva at some earlier point in life. And as someone said, never heard anything about OBJ beating his wife or kids or torturing his dog. And when healthy he has been a really good receiver.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gotta be. I’m glad to not really understand it all, myself.

This morning, prior to the OBJ signing, our CAP stood at $2.5 mil., it looks like his CAP cost for the remainder of 2021 is $1.25 mil, any incentive based bonuses earned would be attached to our 2022 CAP.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Interesting how *sometimes* opinions can change.

I was really negative about Aqib Talib-- heard he had a reputation for trash talk, and didn't like the chain snatching thing. But then I heard him in a bunch of interviews and did a 180, loved how smart and eloquent and personable he was.

Marcus Peters? Always struck me as a selfish immature hothead, and unfortunately my opinion of him didn't change much, wasn't sorry to see him go.

Ramsey? Didn't follow him too much pre-Rams, but I gotta say his frustration with Coughlin and the Jags seemed understandable. Been a great leader here.

OBJ? Yeah, he's got a ways to go to convince me he's capable of being a team-first player. Didn't like his stupid "fight" with the kicking net, nor the vid posted by his Dad (I assume with the okay from OBJ). But a lot of big names on the Rams wanted him here, so maybe they know something I don't.

So yeah, I've heard some negative stuff about OBJ, but I'll keep an open mind.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Or because he runs the routes and doesn't get the ball. McVay has now recreated the same dynamic he had with Jackson. Signing a veteran and previously or maybe still elite receiver who wants to play and get touches.

Will McVay really use him? I hope McVay has a plan to make this work and to actually get OBJ involved in the offense. If not, he'll end up with another unhappy receiver who will not help the team.
Where I think he could really help is in 3 or 4wide situations were OBJ will draw the 3rd or 4th best cover guy.
What I think they want to find out is if OBJ can take better advantage of that than Van has so far.

I honestly thought Djack should have gotten more touches with jet sweeps , screens and of course deep balls.
But I wasn't at those practices or team meetings, so I'm sure McVay has his reasons why it didn't happen.

But surly OBJ came in knowing about the lack of opportunities DJack got so I guess we will just have wait and see.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Where I think he could really help is in 3 or 4wide situations were OBJ will draw the 3rd or 4th best cover guy.
What I think they want to find out is if OBJ can take better advantage of that than Van has so far.

I honestly thought Djack should have gotten more touches with jet sweeps , screens and of course deep balls.
But I wasn't at those practices or team meetings, so I'm sure McVay has his reasons why it didn't happen.

But surly OBJ came in knowing about the lack of opportunities DJack got so I guess we will just have wait and see.
OBJ would seem to be a much greater overall threat than DJax, imo.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I think we needed another potential deep threat and piece for opposing DC's to think about.
Probably coincidence but our first game with Desean or TuTu's speed unavailable we had difficulties getting the ball downfield.
Yes I know we played a tough front and our protection was poor but I can't help but think McVay wanted the option to line up that deep threat to compliment Kupp, Woods and VJ. VJ has some downfield ability but doesn't stretch a D or force you to prepare like DJax or OBJ