OBJ signs with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I cannot figure out why people are so negative? OBJ for less than a mil guaranteed? Plus, we receive a compensatory pick if he , as likely, signs somewhere else? Plus if he doesn’t have a strong market we get to keep him on a cheaper contract? I mean come on, he could likely be a beast in this offense after the catch, running sweeps and running deep posts!

What Kurt Warner sees on film is a WR who consistent wins in one on one matchups. As for his athleticism, it’s elite. He went to 5 pro bowls and is respected by retired players across the league!

View: https://youtu.be/KAkQCKz3GWk

So you can count me happy

dang

Legend
I’m looking at how the Rams financially maneuvered:

Von Miller for $722k
OBJ for $1.25m

I would have thought either would have been financially impossible but both!!

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a text conversation with a 9er supporting friend from back in Orlando earlier in the week.

I mocked him when we got Miller and he said 'I don't care I want Odell'

I said 'We'll probably get him too" with no real thought that we ever would.

It's a brilliant move for me personally just for the piss-taking factor I'm getting out of it now.

Plus, I 100% agree with @AvengerRam I doubt he hurts us and he definitely could help us - even if it's only distracting D's.

This team is too bonded for him to fuck up team chemistry and they'll ship him out in a heartbeat if that does start to look remotely possible.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I read that part of the problem Baker had with OBJ is that OBJ would run his own routes instead
of the route called. Of course there are always two sides to a story.

Either way I am under the assumption that he was brought in for depth.
Not to be a starter.

Just a side note. not a fan of the signing in the least.
The problem was that Baker is unable to anticipate deep throws. Stafford does not have that problem.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Or because he runs the routes and doesn't get the ball. McVay has now recreated the same dynamic he had with Jackson. Signing a veteran and previously or maybe still elite receiver who wants to play and get touches.

Will McVay really use him? I hope McVay has a plan to make this work and to actually get OBJ involved in the offense. If not, he'll end up with another unhappy receiver who will not help the team.
Djax had a limited route tree. OJB can do everything. No comparison.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You have the most appropriate Handle of any poster on this Forum.

Even when you are happy, you are angry.

angry black widow GIF

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like to read our rivals forum to see what their reaction is to moves like this for us. Mainly 49er and Seahawks. Pretty typical. Some of them are like "I'll laugh when it blows up in their faces". Or "OBJ will ruin that team with his attitude".

Then you have the realistic posters "Dayum, why can't our front offices make moves like that?" Or "Meanwhile, here we are holding pat with a losing record."

This seems like a low risk move for the Rams. Sure, OBJ has had his issues with both teams he played for. But the Rams locker room is solid. They won't let someone come in and upset it. When guys who had a perceived problem come here, most of them all of a sudden become team players.

I was worried about Jalen Ramsey. But he's been a solid teammate and has bought into what McVay and the Rams are selling. If there is any team equipped to handle perceived problem players its the Rams.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Worst case scenario we tell him to go sit at the house so he can't help another team. I like that aspect of it. Maybe he helps, maybe he doesn't, either way he's not helping another team.
As long as he doesn't drop balls like he did for the browns.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want him to succeed, but then that kinda puts us in a predicament next year doesn't it? We gotta cut some people to make room to keep him. I personally don't want Woods gone or anyone else who is a major contributor for that matter.
No doubt. If he plays well and helps us get this done then the decision looms on whether to sign him long term. I think there's a lot more risk there given his personality, guys like him with big dolla in LA what could go wrong lol.

Re: Woods if Jefferson continues his development he becomes more and more expendable. He's been a potential trade piece for some time and still is even with a higher cap figure, and that is moreso the case the better Jefferson plays.

We're not gonna have 3 guys getting paid in Kupp/Woody/OBJ. Not gonna happen. So the writing is on the wall there. And I'll just say again that I love Woody but he and Kupp are redundant. God knows we don't have draft picks to supplement this WR corps so if OBJ plays well my assumption is the Rams roll the dice and pay him which, from there we're looking at OBJ/Kupp/Jefferson which looks a lot more threatening.

Not to get ahead of things too much though of course. This all still depends on OBJ and whether he's willing to do the work and endure McVay and this staff's high expectations and corrections because I suspect the dude is thin skinned as F.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Does this really help the Rams? Not a position of need.

I guess the thinking is to sign possible impact players for depth.
Does it really help this team? Yet to be seen. We still have the weaknesses that have caused all of us some heart burn, but it also could give us a strength that can over come those weaknesses. Everybody keeps saying we run with 11 personel, but it seems to me I see empty backfield quite a bit when we need important yardage. Think about this. Stafford was sacked in the last game because he was holding the ball way to long. At least in the beginning of the game. Do you think he won't have a place to throw the ball when we add OBJ? The titans failure is the reason we got OBJ. To give Stafford a 4th receiver and to allow him to get rid of the ball quicker. Also, if you think Kupp is great after the catch, wait till you see OBJ make a short catch into a 70 yard TD. He will take that quick slant in man to man and it will be magic. Then it will be up to the other team to keep up. Changes everything.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

i'm not excited one bit by this signing. it's just going too far with the free agents.

i guess i'm just different. to me it will just cheapen the superbowl victory if they actually do it. like the rams didn't build up to it, got better gradually with their players that they nurtured into champions. they just bought it with these johnny come latelys.

i might be out of this year. i'll see how i feel tomorrow.

The Patriot fans can get over the fact that their 1st three SBs were got by cheating, you can get over this. By the way, this doesn't cheapen the SB if we win it. To win a SB it takes every facet of the team. The Rams are using everything they got. You have put up with the cheapest owner of all time, Georgia and Shaw and now you don't want to enjoy the opposite? How about all those years the 49ers were able to buy any FA they wanted because the owner was willing to spend what ever to be a winner. Come on. Enjoy this. It will not be like this every year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I couldn’t care less about being the laughing stock of the nfl for trying. Trying and failing is not embarrassing. Being the 76ers and failing on purpose in order to succeed and still failing is a laughingstock and failure.

It’s only embarrassing to not try and to fail. I can’t knock the Rams for trying by any means necessary. IMO.
The only people who don't fail never try. Oh no what if I fail. I guess I just sit on my ass and do nothing.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The Patriot fans can get over the fact that their 1st three SBs were got by cheating, you can get over this. By the way, this doesn't cheapen the SB if we win it. To win a SB it takes every facet of the team. The Rams are using everything they got. You have put up with the cheapest owner of all time, Georgia and Shaw and now you don't want to enjoy the opposite? How about all those years the 49ers were able to buy any FA they wanted because the owner was willing to spend what ever to be a winner. Come on. Enjoy this. It will not be like this every year.

Guess Tampa's Chip was cheap and shouldn't count.