Noteboom restructured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am talking about this regime...under McVay... ONE bad season in six.

You are the one erecting a strawman.

And yes they made mistakes. All teams do. The Eagles drafted Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. Shit happens when projecting what 21 yr olds will do in the NFL
Speaking of mistakes.....per ESPN

"The Minnesota Vikings have restructured the contract of quarterback Kirk Cousins to provide $16 million of salary cap relief in 2023, sources said Tuesday

The Cousins move made the Vikings cap compliant ahead of Wednesday's deadline for all NFL teams to get below the $224.8 million threshold. It did not, however, extend the functional duration of Cousins' deal. Unless further changes are made at a later date, the final years of the contract will void and Cousins will be eligible for free agency after the 2023 season.

The Vikings have twice extended the original three-year, $84 million contract they signed Cousins to in March 2018. One came in 2020 and the second in 2022. In both cases, the Vikings felt compelled to exchange future guarantees for short-term salary cap relief. As a result, in his six seasons with the team, Cousins has earned the NFL's third-highest total in cash ($155 million) and consumed the league's highest combined salary cap space ($136.4 million) over that span."

And this from OTC:

To create the cap room, the Browns reduced Watson’s salary for the year to the minimum and turned $44.92 million into a signing bonus that will be prorated over the next five seasons with a void year included. The move will increase Watson’s cap charges from 2023 to 2026 by $8.984 million per season. That now leaves Watson with cap charges just under $64 million in each of those seasons. There will also be an $8.9 million charge in the void year.

I am a little surprised that the Browns went all in like this on the contract. While they needed to make a move to be salary cap compliant, my assumption was more that they would only do a partial conversion of Watson’s salary just to reach the minimum threshold needed to be salary cap compliant and then they would go in and adjust as needed when they had a player in mind to sign. It is not a problem if all of the unused cap space is simply rolled over to the future but teams rarely do that.

The Browns are now salary cap compliant for 2023 and are estimated to have about $21.9 million in cap space.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The move will increase Watson’s cap charges from 2023 to 2026 by $8.984 million per season. That now leaves Watson with cap charges just under $64 million in each of those seasons.

That would be 28% of this year’s cap. That contract is crippling. Every year they are going to have to adjust it in some way, it would seem.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That would be 28% of this year’s cap. That contract is crippling. Every year they are going to have to adjust it in some way, it would seem.
It's Cleveland. It's terminally broken. Those fans have put up with some real heartbreak over the years and they keep rooting. In a subtle way, it makes me appreciate being a Rams fan.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guess ? How do The Rams restructure his contract? You think Noteboom isn’t a team player ? All I have heard is good things from The Rams about Joesph Noteboom.
So what are you saying about Noteboom??? Just wondering
I'm saying they restructured his contract this year to make more money, and can see them cutting him next off-season when they can afford too.

Psycho_X

Legend
It's absolutely insane. And with it being 100% guaranteed anything they adjust just gets pushed to later years... every single penny. They better hope he comes out and is a top 5 QB for the remainder of the contract because they can't do shit about it for four years. Even if they cut him before the last year of the contract (after 3 seasons from now) they'd still eat a $73 million dead cap hit. Just absolutely insane.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams had pretty good record the last six seasons with one losing, with another losing coming this season to make it two consecutive.

Rams roster will be full of new faces mainly draft picks and other teams cuts.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's absolutely insane. And with it being 100% guaranteed anything they adjust just gets pushed to later years... every single penny. They better hope he comes out and is a top 5 QB for the remainder of the contract because they can't do shit about it for four years. Even if they cut him before the last year of the contract (after 3 seasons from now) they'd still eat a $73 million dead cap hit. Just absolutely insane.
Yeah, I suppose they could add more voidable years on the very end... but they are on the hook for all of that guaranteed deal.

They solved one problem (didn't have a QB) but created another (no $ for other players). Well thought through by the Browns. LOL

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm saying they restructured his contract this year to make more money, and can see them cutting him next off-season when they can afford too.
Fair enough,but I think Joesph Noteboom is a better player than he gets credit for,other wise The Rams don’t give him that contract in the first place.
—Noteboom is a SOLID RAM!! Don’t forget his character & it is a mutual resign(structure).

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough,but I think Joesph Noteboom is a better player than he gets credit for,other wise The Rams don’t give him that contract in the first place.
—Noteboom is a SOLID RAM!! Don’t forget his character & it is a mutual resign(structure).
I don't doubt he's SOLID but the best ABILITY is availABILITY. Dude just gets dinged up too much.

I personally thought Alaric Jackson played better at LT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I keep seeing people say things like Noteboom is a decent LT and good in pass pro when he was AWFUL last season in all aspects of his game, ESPECIALLY pass pro...

Best case scenario is he rides the bench all year as a swing tackle and is a cap casualty next off season...
Fact is there are two Joe Noteboom's!

Noteboom (a)- This version is the Noteboom we as fans have seen the most. Version(a) was the 2022 Noteboom who showed up as the starting LT for the first time in his career. This version (a) looked very similar to the 2019 & 2020 versions. Very little difference in their on-field performances. Noteboom (a) is a walking injury waiting to happen. JN (a) enjoys his 4 times on the injured Reserve in order to work on his golf game. Best easy way to describe Noteboom (a) 2019/ 2020/ 2022 performances :crap:

Noteboom (b)- This version is the one we have seen in cameo relief appearances. Noteboom (b) appeared late in 2021 as the Rams were entering the playoffs on the SB run. Noteboom (b) gave all pro performances in the playoff run until he was injured & was placed on the IR just before the SB game which he missed. :smilehearts::hug:

I wonder which Noteboom McVay will send out for the 2023 season?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW - get REAL!! Like I said watching in the preseason that Alaric Jackson was The Rams best RG!! Who knows though.Sean Mcvay likes Anchrum so expect Jackson LG & Anchrum RG.
—Knowing Sean Mcvay doesn’t start his starters in the preseason,that Jackson & Noteboom will be next to each other.
DRAFTING a Swing LT/RT will be HUGE!! Saying The Rams cut Noteboom next season right now is SILLY!! WTF - look at Rob Havienstien’s contract first & think OH? What’s going to happen to him?
—I wouldn’t say you’re WRONG,but what kind of FAN RU thinking against the best interest of team & player. DOUBTING The Rams Organization? Go somewhere else a cheer. Not saying you can’t Boo when it goes wrong.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are two Joe Noteboom's!

Noteboom (a)- This version is the Noteboom we as fans have seen the most. Version(a) was the 2022 Noteboom who showed up as the starting LT for the first time in his career. This version (a) looked very similar to the 2019 & 2020 versions. Very little difference in their on-field performances. Noteboom (a) is a walking injury waiting to happen. Best easy way to describe Noteboom (a) 2019/2020/2022 performances :crap:

Noteboom (b)- This version is the one we have seen in cameo relief appearances. Noteboom (b)appeared late in 2021 as the Rams were entering the playoffs on the SB run. Noteboom (b) gave all pro performances in the playoff run until he was injured & was placed on the IR just before the SB game which he missed. :smilehearts::hug:
He had some good games Bonify’d last season.
I like the loving kind side of it,especially in the offseason. I was flying out of town Thursday night opener against Buffalo.
—Starting of as Andrew Whitworth HOF replacement going up against Super Bowl AllPro Von Miller who knew your weakness from going against you daily at practice is NO EASY TASK.
He did good against Atlanta & Zona. The Rams were 2-1

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don’t understand. So if you win the SB, you are immune to criticism?

Why can’t it be both? Maybe they could have sustained the SB contention if they hadn’t made so many mistakes like KC has for example (or even Pitt, Balt, etc has been able to do).
Immune? No.

But it has to be a factor. Fans expect teams to do whatever it takes to win it all. The Rams did so, and now it seems that some are acting surprised that there’s a bill to pay.

If you look at the NFL over the past 10 years, the Rams are in the top 5 in terms of overall sustained success. I believe the architects of that success deserve more deference than they are receiving from some.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Immune? No.

But it has to be a factor. Fans expect teams to do whatever it takes to win it all. The Rams did so, and now it seems that some are acting surprised that there’s a bill to pay.

If you look at the NFL over the past 10 years, the Rams are in the top 5 in terms of overall sustained success. I believe the architects of that success deserve more deference than they are receiving from some.
I’m not surprised at all. I expected it. That’s what happens when you give out money and contracts like a drunken sailor. I’m just asking to learn a bit in that side of things. It’s been going on for like 10 years (not a McVay thing). Luckily we’ve had McVay to cover up for those mistakes. But imagine if we could combine McVay with a more efficiently run cap. That I’d like to see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sorry guys but I just can't get into Noteboom (and Brian Allen, for same reason)
In order to be a professional athlete you need two things:
1) Talent
2) A body that can withstand the demands of your sport.

Boom has got enough talent but he fails in the body part.
We need to start developing his replacement now before we get caught short again. (same goes for B. Allen too)

~ArkyRamsFan~
Bruss isn’t starting off on the right foot for #2

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Without early draft picks the Rams couldn’t draft Whitworth’s replacement. Picking Noteboom at the time that they did made me think he was the back up tackle/sub at guard. He turned out to be tackle only, but nobody thought he’d replace Whitworth.

So, in a way they painted themselves into a corner and had to sign Joe. Hopefully Jackson has his blood clot situation under control and returns to OLT, where he was clearly the superior player.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I’m not surprised at all. I expected it. That’s what happens when you give out money and contracts like a drunken sailor. I’m just asking to learn a bit in that side of things. It’s been going on for like 10 years (not a McVay thing). Luckily we’ve had McVay to cover up for those mistakes. But imagine if we could combine McVay with a more efficiently run cap. That I’d like to see.
So you're of the mind, it's all one-sided? The players agents don't "ask" for anything. The Rams just offer it up? No negotiation? I wonder how all these current critics would feel if after trading for Ramsey, the Rams said, "nope. He's just like he was in Jacksonville. Wants too much money. Wants to break the bank. We're letting him walk." I can hear it now.....

"WTF are you doing? You just traded for the guy. He's fucking awesome. Give him the money. We want to win!!!"

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He had some good games Bonify’d last season.
I like the loving kind side of it,especially in the offseason. I was flying out of town Thursday night opener against Buffalo.
—Starting of as Andrew Whitworth HOF replacement going up against Super Bowl AllPro Von Miller who knew your weakness from going against you daily at practice is NO EASY TASK.
He did good against Atlanta & Zona. The Rams were 2-1
As I've said a couple of times. I don't watch the OL during games. I watch the ball. In fact the cameras watch the ball. So after hearing how PFF had him leading he league in sacks allowed and pressures when he was injured, I thought, "I don't remember him being a swinging gate". So I went back and re-watched the 5 games before he was injured.

2 sacks. 5 pressures. His man got to the QB more than 2 times. Once on a stunt that Edwards totally whiffed on. Once when Stafford scrambled and got caught behind the line by JN's guy. The other was on a blitz IIRC. Pressures? I didn't see many and I sat in my chair with a pad and pen logging every play. Perhaps PFF calls a pressure when the DL is a couple steps away from the QB when the ball goes out. That happens to almost every OL from time to time.

The kid is a good LT. Great balance and footwork. Strong punch. Bosa didn't do shit against him. He got his sacks on Havenstein. Parsons didn't do shit against him. They stopped lining him up opposite Boom. In the run game? I don't know what people are watching but he gets downfield and makes blocks. Has he whiffed a time or two? Sure. 300 lbs moving downfield and a 170 lbs DB sidesteps him.

He is the whipping boy of the OL when in fact, Edwards and Havenstein were the swinging gates. And then Kolone, Abhoushi, Skura, etc. I know of one nutjob (not here) who blames Noteboom for everything. This season, 2019 when the offense was averaging 28 PPG prior to his injury and the Rams ended up missing the playoffs. Nevermined Z missed an easy FG with time expiring vs Seattle and the defense allowed two (not 1, TWO) 3rd and 16 conversions by SF and they ended up kicking the GWFG. Win either of those two games and we make the postseason. But no. It was Noteboom's fault (for getting injured). NJ blames Allen less and nothing on Havenstein who missed 7 games too. His problem is he's been injured. Clearly we all see that. Correct that (a little better luck?) and we have a pretty good LT.

Last edited: