Noteboom restructured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am getting old. I thought Whitworth played the majority of the year in 2020.

I guess 2020 is a lost season to me.
Whit missed 7 games in 2020. So yeah, I had it wrong. JN played 7+ games at LT and 2 at G.

Tano

Legend
Seems the Rams are betting he recovers and remains healthy. 20 mil cap hit in 2024 for LT might actually be a deal.
If he stays healthy, Noteboom is a decent LT. It is the healthy part that does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Sorry guys but I just can't get into Noteboom (and Brian Allen, for same reason)
In order to be a professional athlete you need two things:
1) Talent
2) A body that can withstand the demands of your sport.

Boom has got enough talent but he fails in the body part.
We need to start developing his replacement now before we get caught short again. (same goes for B. Allen too)

~ArkyRamsFan~

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he stays healthy, Noteboom is a decent LT. It is the healthy part that does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings
You think? From my POV, he gets beaten like a rented mule when facing elite pass rushers. Id rather have a 38 year old Big Whit than have a healthy Joe Noteboom.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You think? From my POV, he gets beaten like a rented mule when facing elite pass rushers. Id rather have a 38 year old Big Whit than have a healthy Joe Noteboom.
And any physicality, he just folds.

Tano

Legend
I said decent.

I would put him in the bottom half of the league's starting LTs

I would rather have Jackson start at LT

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Noteboom is NOT under contract for 2025.

He signed a three-year-deal last off-season. That's 2022 through 2024.

The Void-$ is like Dead-$. It's a way to push-out the cap-hit.

Again on, Noteboom. He can't be cut in 2025 because he's not signed for 2025. However, he will be in the Rams' cap in2025 for $10M. And another $5M in 2026.
If so (all that dead 2025 and 2026 Note money), that’s just horrible cap management yet again.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If so (all that dead 2025 and 2026 Note money), that’s just horrible cap management yet again.
Eagles are doing that as are most teams. Likley view it as Donald and or Stafford will be gone by then so they will have plenty of cap room.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He was a light cap hit last season; and will carry a relatively low number this season.

If Noteboom was a quality, healthy starting Left Tackle, the contract would be fine. Unfortunately, he did not play well last year pre-season-ending-injury; and the out-look for 2023 is not good.

Combination of a poor personnel decision, negotiated-contract decision and circumstances (injury).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well it is nice to see him at a more appropriate cap figure. And he gets a chance to show what he can do this year. Not expecting much but maybe the guy makes the most of things this time around.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No, it's not.
The Rams built a roster using future draft and salary value to win a Super Bowl... AND THEY DID.

It's one method/approach... it's more volatile, as we're seeing right now... but it is a path and one the Rams used successfully.

They'll be mediocre to bad this year.. but let's see what happens next year.

Last season was a perfect storm of injuries, imo.. and outlier.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Eagles are doing that as are most teams. Likley view it as Donald and or Stafford will be gone by then so they will have plenty of cap room.
No, it's not.
The Rams built a roster using future draft and salary value to win a Super Bowl... AND THEY DID.

It's one method/approach... it's more volatile, as we're seeing right now... but it is a path and one the Rams used successfully.

For those teams and the Rams the last couple of years - yes it’s the move you make to kick the cap can down the road to win now. But that’s not what is happening for the 2023 Rams - we’re taking the hit for this season to clear cap and add in 2024+.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
No, it's not.

Look at what the Lakers have done the past few decades. They give away a lot of draft picks for proven players. They spend a lot of money on elite players. They do have their share of losing seasons. But no one has won near as many championships as they have since 1980. The Rams seem to be following that model. Its at the beginning so fans don't think about the next 20 years. I'd be fine with just as many losing seasons as winning seasons if they win several titles along the way.

Psycho_X

Legend
Glass half full time? Should be a good sign that Boom's rehab is going well at least if they went ahead and did this restructure. Achilles base recovery time is 4-6 months (for non-football activity) which Boom is just under the 5 month timetable. So they should have a pretty good idea how that's going. I'm reaching for something good here lol.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Glass half full time? Should be a good sign that Boom's rehab is going well at least if they went ahead and did this restructure. Achilles base recovery time is 4-6 months (for non-football activity) which Boom is just under the 5 month timetable. So they should have a pretty good idea how that's going. I'm reaching for something good here lol.
He should be ready, albeit limited, by mini camp. Definitely ready by training camp.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
The guy can’t and hasn’t stayed healthy. How can the Rams not realize this. Potential’s worthless if it can’t be on the field!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The guy can’t and hasn’t stayed healthy. How can the Rams not realize this. Potential’s worthless if it can’t be on the field!
The same things were said about Saffold from year 2 to year 6 (28 games missed/31 starts missed; 2011-2015), then when we lost him after 2018, you'd think he was a Tom Mack clone.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Got to agree here we were between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately if he was a good to great player 8 would be less mad at this decision yet another decision I totally disagree with.

Ram65

Legend
Again on, Noteboom. He can't be cut in 2025 because he's not signed for 2025. However, he will be in the Rams' cap in2025 for $10M. And another $5M in 2026.

That's the cost for creating cap space for this season.

I'm not trying to hurt you man. It's the math
The Rams pushing the money train down the tracks.
He was a light cap hit last season; and will carry a relatively low number this season.

If Noteboom was a quality, healthy starting Left Tackle, the contract would be fine. Unfortunately, he did not play well last year pre-season-ending-injury; and the out-look for 2023 is not good.

Combination of a poor personnel decision, negotiated-contract decision and circumstances (injury).

I can see the Rams thinking Noteboom would be a decent LT in 2022. He had time to get stronger and appeared to be a hard worker. Good LTs are hard to come by. Sometimes things don't work out.