Noteboom restructured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
You think? From my POV, he gets beaten like a rented mule when facing elite pass rushers. Id rather have a 38 year old Big Whit than have a healthy Joe Noteboom.

Yeah. Boom seems to be able to pass block, but imo we (and Staff) desperately need somebody who can run block as well, and physically move defenders when needed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah. Boom seems to be able to pass block, but imo we (and Staff) desperately need somebody who can run block as well, and physically move defenders when needed.

I have to blame McVay somewhat on this, he wouldn't help much with TE's blocking or use the Jumbo 5'th offensive lineman as often as he could have, ... and our 1 blocking FB never saw the field. We got consistently rolled and there wasn't much in the way we went about trending to something different following halftime. We lost Kupp, Robinson & Van Jeff for a time and didn't hardly play any 12 personnel. It was frustrating to watch.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I keep seeing people say things like Noteboom is a decent LT and good in pass pro when he was AWFUL last season in all aspects of his game, ESPECIALLY pass pro...

Best case scenario is he rides the bench all year as a swing tackle and is a cap casualty next off season...

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The Superbowl thanks you.
I don’t understand. So if you win the SB, you are immune to criticism?

Why can’t it be both? Maybe they could have sustained the SB contention if they hadn’t made so many mistakes like KC has for example (or even Pitt, Balt, etc has been able to do).

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Over-the-Cap has the same #s ... it's bad.

You can't be thinking about savings in the future. The Savings are Now (2023).

The Cost is in the Future.

It's the opposite of Leonard Floyd, where the Cost is Now (2023), and the Savings are in the Future.

You asked about 2025. According to the two sites, Noteboom has a $10M VOID-$ cap hit in 2025.

Whitworth is on the Rams' cap in 2023, with $2M of Void-$.

Noteboom is NOT under contract for 2025.

He signed a three-year-deal last off-season. That's 2022 through 2024.

The Void-$ is like Dead-$. It's a way to push-out the cap-hit.

Same with Whitworth. He retired after 2021 but was on the Rams' cap last season and will be this season.

Again on, Noteboom. He can't be cut in 2025 because he's not signed for 2025. However, he will be in the Rams' cap in2025 for $10M. And another $5M in 2026.

That's the cost for creating cap space for this season.

I'm not trying to hurt you man. It's the math
I have a question.....does anybody know when there are "voidable years" in a players contract, can the team extend the player with a new deal through those voidable years to absorb some of the damage? They can't be required to let him go.

In other words, should Noteboom shock his critics/PFF fans by playing a stellar LT in 2023 and 2024, the Rams would certainly keep him beyond.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Why can’t it be both? Maybe they could have sustained the SB contention if they hadn’t made so many mistakes like KC has for example (or even Pitt, Balt, etc has been able to do).
The reason the Rams sucked this season is because they had massive massive injuries. Playing dudes off the streets to fill spots on their roster. Would they have repeated? Probably not but you can bet they would have been way more competitive. So just because they're having to make big decisions and move players doesn't mean mean they suck at cap management. The Rams up to this season, have been one most successful teams the last 5 seasons. I'll take that anyday, than criticize them for something we quite frankly know nothing about. Just sayin

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Pitt? Balt? Really? Those teams have not reached a SB in over 10 yrs.

The Rams have had one losing season in 6 yrs. Reached 2 SBs and won one. And they broke the record for OL injuries last yr, which resulted in losing their starting QB.

Not much you can do when that happens.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Omg seriously. I’m talking historically how they stayed relevant and contending for a decade plus previously. I didn’t think I had to explain that - figured it was obvious (guess not to some).

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Again - you can be success and still make bad mistakes. none of that Ram success hides/blinds the fact that they had bad cap issues with contracts. Maybe without such, we win more than one SB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Omg seriously. I’m talking historically how they stayed relevant and contending for a decade plus previously. I didn’t think I had to explain that - figured it was obvious (guess not to some).
Let's keep it recent in this era where cap management and high salaries are even more important than just 10 plus yrs ago.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And BTW, when did Baltimore ever reach 2 SBs in a 4 yr span?

The Rams had one bad yr in their last 6, and it was primarily due to injuries. Now, not saying they would have won the SB last yr or even the division, but a normal healthy season and they likley win 11 games and are a WC.

So I don't get the point of why they can't they be like Pitt and Balt when they have been better the previous 5 yrs. 3rd most wins in the league...what more do you want?

PARAM

Hall of Fame

The Rams have had one losing season in 6 yrs. Reached 2 SBs and won one. And they broke the record for OL injuries last yr, which resulted in losing their starting QB.

Not much you can do when that happens.
For those wishing the Rams were in contention more, he's the list of the last 6 years:

1. Kansas City .... 74 wins....3 SB (2-1).....6 postseasons
2. N.Orleans......65 wins......1 CCG Loss....4 postseasons
3. Buffalo........62 wins.......1 CCG Loss......5 postseasons
3. Baltimore.....62 wins......0 CCG...............4 postseasons
5. N.England.....61 wins.....2 SB (1-1)........4 postseasons
6. Rams...............60 wins.....2 SB (1-1)........4 postseasons
6. Green Bay....60 wins.....2 CCG losses....3 postseasons
6. Pittsburgh.....60 wins.....0 CCG................3 postseasons

9. Minnesota.....59 wins......1 CCG loss......3 postseasons
10. Philly.............58 wins......2 SB (1-1)........5 postseasons
10. Seattle..........58 wins......0 CCG................4 postseasons
12. Tennessee...57 wins......1 CCG loss......4 postseasons
12. Dallas...........57 wins......0 CCG................3 postseasons
14. San Fran ....52 wins....2 CCG L's, SB L...3 postseasons
14. LAC................52 wins.....0 CCG..................2 postseasons
16. Tampa..........49 wins.....1 SB...W..............3 postseasons

That's the top 16 most "competitve teams" the last 6 years. I wish the Rams were better but man, come on!!!

the rest?

Miami 46 wins
Indy 45 wins
Chicago 42 wins
Atlanta 42 wins
Raiders 41 wins
Cincinnati 41 wins -- 1 SB loss
Carolina 40 wins
Washington 39 wins
Arizona 39 wins
Cleveland 39 wins
Houston 36 wins
Detroit 35 wins
Denver 35 wins
Jacksonville 34 wins
NY Giants 31 wins
NY Jets 29 wins

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not sure. Guess they'll cut him next off-season and eat dead money. But this saved more.
Guess ? How do The Rams restructure his contract? You think Noteboom isn’t a team player ? All I have heard is good things from The Rams about Joesph Noteboom.
So what are you saying about Noteboom??? Just wondering

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
And BTW, when did Baltimore ever reach 2 SBs in a 4 yr span?
Sorry straw man, I’m trying to figure out when I said that. I said contending for a longer period of time. I’m stoked we have done so awesome and won a SB. But there are spots of failures that happened and could have prevented the problems encountered last year and currently.

Again, you can have both - not sure why some people can’t discuss the mistakes as well as the success. Or are we supposed to be soccer moms and pretend our kids can do no wrong.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Sorry straw man, I’m trying to figure out when I said that. I said contending for a longer period of time. I’m stoked we have done so awesome and won a SB. But there are spots of failures that happened and could have prevented the problems encountered last year and currently.

Again, you can have both - not sure why some people can’t discuss the mistakes as well as the success. Or are we supposed to be soccer moms and pretend our kids can do no wrong.
I am talking about this regime...under McVay... ONE bad season in six.

You are the one erecting a strawman.

And yes they made mistakes. All teams do. The Eagles drafted Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. Shit happens when projecting what 21 yr olds will do in the NFL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again - you can be success and still make bad mistakes. none of that Ram success hides/blinds the fact that they had bad cap issues with contracts. Maybe without such, we win more than one SB.
They have been fucking contracts up since before McVay. Do you remember them signing Ogletree to an extension and Wade having them trade him shortly after. This shit goes way back. Goff. Cooks. We could fill a megathread on that topic.

Rams are and have been stupid with contracts. McVay has won in spite of that. Though I am sure he was part of the decision making on many of the moves. So not exempting him here but he is one hell of a coach.

Snead is on a bit of a hotseat here I think, speaking of all that. I mean who is the adult in the room with these guys when they make those calls. So many of them we saw that shit coming.

oldnotdead

Legend
You shouldn't look at the OL as individual players. Look at the OL as a unit and what do you see? An OL that can't stay healthy, and that is an abberation in the NFL, where the entire unit is constantly getting hurt. Maybe that is why Carberry is gone and they hired an OL coach who actually played OL for 9 years in the NFL. What that means is that Wendell can look at not only how they play, i.e. technique but how they train. Let's see how this unit performs and what their injury rate is this year. Personally I'd be surprised if it didn't improve.

When Noteboom is healthy he's an outstanding LT. Remember Alaric Jackson has shown he can play LT as well. He's a restricted FA next year meaning the Rams control his fate. If they choose to move on from Noteboom then they can put a first round tender on Jackson. The Rams have options. Why not move on from Noteboom now? Because he's that good that's why. Give him as well as Allen one more year to prove they can play injury free. They can then renegotiate the contract if they feel confident or they can move on.

The reason I've been saying that Jackson is the logical successor to Havenstein is not only is he better but simply because I knew Jackson was a RFA. They could either negotiate a contract or tender him. Either way they control his rights at least one more year.

Bottom line I don't see any real downside here. The Rams were for some reason IMO forced to advance their plans by a year. I think Jalen forced their hand with his demand for a new contract or be traded. If Noteboom is indeed 100% by September that will be very good news for Stafford.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You shouldn't look at the OL as individual players. Look at the OL as a unit and what do you see? An OL that can't stay healthy, and that is an abberation in the NFL, where the entire unit is constantly getting hurt. Maybe that is why Carberry is gone and they hired an OL coach who actually played OL for 9 years in the NFL. What that means is that Wendell can look at not only how they play, i.e. technique but how they train. Let's see how this unit performs and what their injury rate is this year. Personally I'd be surprised if it didn't improve.

When Noteboom is healthy he's an outstanding LT. Remember Alaric Jackson has shown he can play LT as well. He's a restricted FA next year meaning the Rams control his fate. If they choose to move on from Noteboom then they can put a first round tender on Jackson. The Rams have options. Why not move on from Noteboom now? Because he's that good that's why. Give him as well as Allen one more year to prove they can play injury free. They can then renegotiate the contract if they feel confident or they can move on.

The reason I've been saying that Jackson is the logical successor to Havenstein is not only is he better but simply because I knew Jackson was a RFA. They could either negotiate a contract or tender him. Either way they control his rights at least one more year.

Bottom line I don't see any real downside here. The Rams were for some reason IMO forced to advance their plans by a year. I think Jalen forced their hand with his demand for a new contract or be traded. If Noteboom is indeed 100% by September that will be very good news for Stafford.
The Rams need to DRAFT a Swing Tackle. A”Jackson was a UDRFA(steal) who looks better at guard than tackle.
IMO having big guards really HELPS protect The POCKET!! Matthew Stafford is a pocket passer. Why move him around?

Jalen Ramsey will do good in Miami.He is Florida guy.

There might even be an upside by having Cam Akers,not having Jalen as distraction.Not saying he was BAD,just saying sometimes change (culture)is good.