OFFICIAL NFL injuries 2021/22 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL with the first shot.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1390059173648510976?s=20

1620253498952.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

how are players not aware of the risks involved? man, if i had millions on the line i'd be fully aware of what i can and can't do to earn those millions.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

how are players not aware of the risks involved? man, if i had millions on the line i'd be fully aware of what i can and can't do to earn those millions.

Thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

Man an agreement is an agreement. Only one person is responsible for this, Ja'Wuan James.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

Man an agreement is an agreement. Only one person is responsible for this, Ja'Wuan James.
And his agent and the union. Shouldn't both be informing players of their contractual agreements? Not every player will know his contract front to back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

At the same time, arent we all amazed at the off season workouts of Aaron Donald? And if he were injured doing jumping jacks in his backyard, it wouldnt be covered? I dont know about this, seems a slippery slope that players are only covered if they are working out in a team facility since many have homes where they reside in the off season

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And his agent and the union. Shouldn't both be informing players of their contractual agreements? Not every player will know his contract front to back.
Seems that this is black and white for all players, according to that letter posted. Doesnt seem right to me.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of people are glossing over the "or as specifically authorized by his club" part. Injuries sustained in workouts away from the team's facilities can still considered football injuries. Authorization for said workouts just needs to be present.

Are players getting authorization to workout off site? I doubt it, in many cases.

Would NFL clubs even give authorization if asked? I imagine many would not... why increase the risk you have to pay a player to sit on the sidelines?

Of course, like everything else in the NFL, stars have greater bargaining power. If Aaron Donald ever hits free agency, and a condition to signing is that he wants approval to workout wherever and whenever he wants, without having to specifically ask for it, i.e. just a blanket approval negotiated at the outset, you can bet plenty of teams will offer that in an attempt to lure him.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see an issue with it. It protects the clubs from players getting injured doing something stupid, but then saying they were injured while working out. If you want to work out away from the facilities, then either get permission or take the risk.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see an issue with it. It protects the clubs from players getting injured doing something stupid, but then saying they were injured while working out. If you want to work out away from the facilities, then either get permission or take the risk.
There has been some of that in baseball over the years. I think one was a pitcher traded from the twins to the Yankees.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect the NFL will need to "legitimize" certain off-site workout locations at some point because barring COVID magically going away this will be a continued push by the players. It will either be that or duke it out with the union.

Personally I think it's dumb that the players are skipping the OTAs and all that. Just stupid. I get that they consider themselves in shape but football's a big time team game. I don't want to follow a league that turns into the NBA i.e. run by the players. There needs to be some balance in that. This type of stuff might be sort of minor in some ways but next thing we know there will be one week camps and we'll have to endure shitty ball. Fuck that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
During off season a player goes for a jog and pops an achilles and since he didnt request permission, he doesnt get paid?
That doesnt make sense.
So a player is better off not working out in the off season, comes in to camp out of condition and gets injured because he isnt in good shape? And he'll get paid?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Honestly, I don't understand why any highly paid athlete would not carry a private personal injury insurance policy. Actors/actresses/crew are covered on set, but the highly paid ones carry private insurance for faces & legs, etc.
NFL teams spend a lot of money for their trainers, training facility/equipment & sports doctors/staff, etc., these teams don't necessarily want any Joe Blow working with their multi-million dollar prized possessions. There are some really good private facilities which are likely approved for off-season use, probably even encouraged, but using any unapproved facility/trainer is courting disaster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I don't understand why any highly paid athlete would not carry a private personal injury insurance policy. Actors/actresses/crew are covered on set, but the highly paid ones carry private insurance for faces & legs, etc.
NFL teams spend a lot of money for their trainers, training facility/equipment & sports doctors/staff, etc., these teams don't necessarily want any Joe Blow working with their multi-million dollar prized possessions. There are some really good private facilities which are likely approved for off-season use, probably even encouraged, but using any unapproved facility/trainer is courting disaster.
They can carry a private personal insurance, but what does that have to do with this? That insurance should rightly be in addition to their contract, not in lieu of. Those policies are quite expensive too BTW....
The "job" of an NFL player requires incredible conditioning. I get where a Ben Roethlisberger riding a motorcycle without a helmet earns no paycheck, but an athlete working out to stay in shape in off season to avoid being an injury risk when season officially starts seems pretty counterintuitive.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They can carry a private personal insurance, but what does that have to do with this? That insurance should rightly be in addition to their contract, not in lieu of. Those policies are quite expensive too BTW....
The "job" of an NFL player requires incredible conditioning. I get where a Ben Roethlisberger riding a motorcycle without a helmet earns no paycheck, but an athlete working out to stay in shape in off season to avoid being an injury risk when season officially starts seems pretty counterintuitive.

It has everything to do with this ...
While that sounds great for players to have 24/7/365 coverage, this isn't something that the union has demanded/received from the league in prior negotiations. How expensive such a policy costs is determined by the amount of coverage, if Ja'Wuan James wants the full $10mil from his contract covered by private insurance, it may be fairly expensive, but insurance is part of life and if you want to be protected, then you're wise to invest.
Hopefully, in the days to come we'll have a better idea for how teams protect, or don't, players from off-season work-outs. We really don't know yet if Aaron Donald & others have the same risk as Ja'Wuan James as we don't know which individuals have team permission to use outside facilities/trainers. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I get what you are saying. I can also see the point of view that teams want oversight how you train.

If Aaron Donald wanted to strap a piano to his back and run flights of stairs, the team might suggest a safer workout.

That’s a dumb exaggeration but that’s the grey line, probably.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has everything to do with this ...
While that sounds great for players to have 24/7/365 coverage, this isn't something that the union has demanded/received from the league in prior negotiations. How expensive such a policy costs is determined by the amount of coverage, if Ja'Wuan James wants the full $10mil from his contract covered by private insurance, it may be fairly expensive, but insurance is part of life and if you want to be protected, then you're wise to invest.
Hopefully, in the days to come we'll have a better idea for how teams protect, or don't, players from off-season work-outs. We really don't know yet if Aaron Donald & others have the same risk as Ja'Wuan James as we don't know which individuals have team permission to use outside facilities/trainers. jmo.
Nothing is stopping players from getting an insurance policy on themselves. My work provides me accidental death insurance, but I surely have my own life insurance policy. With how much $$ they make for playing a sport, why on earth wouldnt they protect their own investment by having insurance?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you are saying. I can also see the point of view that teams want oversight how you train.

If Aaron Donald wanted to strap a piano to his back and run flights of stairs, the team might suggest a safer workout.

That’s a dumb exaggeration but that’s the grey line, probably.
Which is why James was allegedly following his training program supplied by his strength and conditioning coach. Well, this is why the players have a so-called "Union", let's see them act on his behalf. In all reality, Denver has every right to require James to pay back a portion of his signing bonus if this holds up. In all likelihood, there's a grievance filed, and injury settlement agreed on, and it becomes history. However there is a slippery slope here that this is setting precedent for.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Which is why James was allegedly following his training program supplied by his strength and conditioning coach. Well, this is why the players have a so-called "Union", let's see them act on his behalf. In all reality, Denver has every right to require James to pay back a portion of his signing bonus if this holds up. In all likelihood, there's a grievance filed, and injury settlement agreed on, and it becomes history. However there is a slippery slope here that this is setting precedent for.

Yeah will be interesting what the team told James to do. If his strength and cond. coach gave him a regiment to follow in offseason and he was doing it I'd think that would have some weight to a decision. If his coach was texting, calling, or sending him instructions that would be proof.

Really every team is going to be different how they've handled players up until this incident. A lot of teams probably encouraged and supported their players working off campus while others are probably hard asses about it. Throw in a pandemic and extra abnormal circumstances and you'd think there'd be a lot of coaches that don't agree with the NFLs stance at the moment either. Of course, coaches and players opinions don't mean a whole lot to the billionaires and their money so might not matter if they want to throw their legal might into it.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It may boil down to players having to record every workout and details of said workout. (Relating this to previous posts about coaches sending workouts and routines for players to do while away from the team facility).