OFFICIAL NFL injuries 2021/22 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Aaron Donald is also smart enough to get approval by the Rams for his workouts unlike Juwan James.

Aaron Donald’s home would NOT be covered if he got injured. It’s not a matter of being smart. Injuries happen. It’s not a matter of approval from the Rams, but using a team or LEAGUE APPROVED facility.

James wasn’t doing Parkour in an abandoned building. He was following a workout of his trainer. The NFL is gonna have to work this out. Bet they do it once someone like Mahomes has a bad off-season injury (God forbid).

Either that or agents will INSIST that teams pay for “gap insurance” to cover their client during off-season workouts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would think if the staff was advising a player or even encouraging them to do work outs away from campus, they wouldn't have a "welp, you're on your own" view of it. But that's just my view of it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald’s home would NOT be covered if he got injured. It’s not a matter of being smart. Injuries happen. It’s not a matter of approval from the Rams, but using a team or LEAGUE APPROVED facility.

James wasn’t doing Parkour in an abandoned building. He was following a workout of his trainer. The NFL is gonna have to work this out. Bet they do it once someone like Mahomes has a bad off-season injury (God forbid).

Either that or agents will INSIST that teams pay for “gap insurance” to cover their client during off-season workouts.
All a player has to do is get approval from the team to workout away from the facility in the offseason. I'm not sure why this is such a question. I think this is the 4th time I've quoted this.

“while working out at a club facility or as specifically authorized by his club” give the player “significant protections, including: (i) payment of Paragraph 5 Salary; (ii) medical care; (iii) pension credit (if the player is unable to perform services for three regular season games due to the injury) and (iv) other benefits, such as Injury Protection, which will provide payments to players in seasons following the season of a career ending injury.”

It's only been cited countless times by sports media regarding this situation. It was brought up every time a player holds out for contract reasons. This concept is nothing new here.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think “as specifically authorized by the club” is overly broad and could be subject to challenge.

I don’t really care per se, but don’t think this won’t have ramifications going forward.

Also, I’ve not watched any TV or read much forum stuff since the draft. Busy with Grandbaby and a host of other things. So I have no doubt I’ve missed a bunch of quotes, references, allusions, and hypotheticals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think “as specifically authorized by the club” is overly broad and could be subject to challenge.
Well, I guess that's what the Juwan James sitch is all about, and now that he's released (unless there's an injury settlement we're not aware of) I'm surprised we havent heard more of a challenge

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
During off season a player goes for a jog and pops an achilles and since he didnt request permission, he doesnt get paid?
That doesnt make sense.
So a player is better off not working out in the off season, comes in to camp out of condition and gets injured because he isnt in good shape? And he'll get paid?
Getting hurt at work is entirely different.
I'm with the NFL on this.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's the interpretation of what constitutes "at work" that is the subject of debate
If the NFL has clear rules on approved work out locations, that should be plenty.

The problem with people getting hurt outside of a workplace is, how do you prove how they got hurt.

This is not a grey area and something, I'm sure, all the agents and players are aware of.

You get hurt at a team facility and your covered.
You get hurt outside of a team facility and you're not.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Sometimes i just wanna work out in privacy among friends where i can get high and order pizza" ~ anonymous pro athlete

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the NFL has clear rules on approved work out locations, that should be plenty.

The problem with people getting hurt outside of a workplace is, how do you prove how they got hurt.

This is not a grey area and something, I'm sure, all the agents and players are aware of.

You get hurt at a team facility and your covered.
You get hurt outside of a team facility and you're not.
Except there is grey area as players work out in the off season to be in shape for the season. Its not a 6-8 month job anymore. And for those players who have homes in locations which are far from team HQ, (Like say Pittsburgh vs LA) players are going to work out. The last thing you want are players not staying in shape because they dont want to work out at home. James rep has stated he was following workout program given to him by a team trainer. So we'll see how this all pans out.
And fer sure an o-lineman whos missed the last 1.75 season has a lot of working out to do

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Aaron Donald maintains an off season residence in Pittsburgh area and spends a lot of time there working with his foundation. You think he's not going to work out when he has some spare time? Of course he is
AD doesn't know what spare time is. A person with spare time will never reach the level of AD. From the looks of it he workouts out at Pitt with a training staff during the off season

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Except there is grey area as players work out in the off season to be in shape for the season. Its not a 6-8 month job anymore. And for those players who have homes in locations which are far from team HQ, (Like say Pittsburgh vs LA) players are going to work out. The last thing you want are players not staying in shape because they dont want to work out at home. James rep has stated he was following workout program given to him by a team trainer. So we'll see how this all pans out.
And fer sure an o-lineman whos missed the last 1.75 season has a lot of working out to do
I agree that they will still work out at home, but injuries at home, or Lake Havasu can't be verified.

If the teams have given guys options and the players aren't utilizing them, then it's on the player.
I'm sure the agents don't like losing money either, but the rules make good business sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that they will still work out at home, but injuries at home, or Lake Havasu can't be verified.

If the teams have given guys options and the players aren't utilizing them, then it's on the player.
I'm sure the agents don't like losing money either, but the rules make good business sense.
I agree with you AND @dieterbrock but I think the NFL is a bit different than a normal business. We had numerous times when employees would have Monday injuries. We had a standing rule that any workplace injuries would have to be reported, documented and signed off the day they happened, and STILL we lost most of the workman's comp cases.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree with you AND @dieterbrock but I think the NFL is a bit different than a normal business. We had numerous times when employees would have Monday injuries. We had a standing rule that any workplace injuries would have to be reported, documented and signed off the day they happened, and STILL we lost most of the workman's comp cases.
They aren't easy to win.

Workers comp isnt cheap either.
We pay about 400k a year in workers comp insurance, as a high risk business.

We have had employees get hurt on their own time, then try to claim a workplace injury. It drives our costs up.

As an employer, it really pisses me off.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They aren't easy to win.

Workers comp isnt cheap either.
We pay about 400k a year in workers comp insurance, as a high risk business.

We have had employees get hurt on their own time, then try to claim a workplace injury. It drives our costs up.

As an employer, it really pisses me off.
Yep. 100%

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well I think you're missing the point here, at least my point. Players are <cough, off the record, cough> required to workout in the off season. Particularly during the "voluntary" OTA's and mini-camp, which is when James was injured. It's a dog and pony show, the players union has negotiated down the practice time, OTA's etc, and the owners want to stick it to them when they can. It is a slippery slope however when guys like James, who clearly the team wanted rid of, gets cut, but when another player who is a player the team wants to keep suffers the same way, that the team can decide to pay him. I dont know why the owners want to get in to a pizzing contest about "player safety" because that never ends well for the league

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In addition.

Isn't there loss of pay insurance, in case of injury accessible for the players?
Im sure there is, but that would be in addition to the protections afforded them along the guidelines of their contract