New QB Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm waiting to see if that same defensive game plan (if they use it) will be successful against a team that still has their two starting tackles. Walton's game plan hasn't changed much. There was more press (not a lot more), but that's what they've been trying to do this whole season as far as I can tell. If some of those slants that Russell threw didn't get dropped, who knows what that game turns out to be like. I mean, let's face it. Press has it's disadvantages as well, and we should be thankful the ways you can get burned by it didn't materialize. I don't know if we get that much pressure on them if their O-line is at full strength, so it was a smart plan.

It wasn't just the tighter coverage pre-snap, it was the blitzes. That was the noticeable difference. I thought it was quite different from our typical game-plan. We did not see soft coverage and those soft cover 3 zones often and we saw a lot of blitzes being brought as well as an extra safety in the box all game. It was the first time I felt like Walton really came up with plan to attack.

I hope we keep seeing aggressiveness on defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There is a choice to make. Myself and 12 to 20 friends are some tackle football on Sunday afternoon for fun. First Rams game I will choose to miss in probably nearly a decade. But, I hope it goes well.

I don't believe I was done with Bradford. I think I said that in the GDT and took it back. 99% of things I say during the game should be ignored.

I believe I said that I had lost confidence that Bradford was the solution but I was willing to give him the year to prove it to me.

The thing is that Clemens doesn't have the sort of talent or track record that Bradford has. What has he done to earn it other than be on the team? Just saying.
I know what you said (outside of the GDT), but I'm not trotting it out just to show you up. The past is the past, and I realized then that you were just having a visceral reaction to a game that pissed everyone off. I was one of the only people who tried to talk you off the ledge if you'll recall. And I know Clemens doesn't have the sort of talent or track record that Bradford has. That's why he's #2. He's earned that by outplaying Davis (and there's probably more to it than that). He's a player-coach, and he's earned the respect of his teammates and the coaches. If he hasn't earned yours, that's your cross to bear. But as long as he's the QB of the Rams, he should be afforded the same support as any other QB of the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know what you said (outside of the GDT), but I'm not trotting it out just to show you up. The past is the past, and I realized then that you were just having a visceral reaction to a game that pissed everyone off. I was one of the only people who tried to talk you off the ledge if you'll recall. And I know Clemens doesn't have the sort of talent or track record that Bradford has. That's why he's #2. He's earned that by outplaying Davis (and there's probably more to it than that). He's a player-coach, and he's earned the respect of his teammates and the coaches. If he hasn't earned yours, that's your cross to bear. But as long as he's the QB of the Rams, he should be afforded the same support as any other QB of the Rams.

Well, he's receiving the same support I'd give any QB of the Rams. You do well, you get praise. You do poorly, you get criticism. If I don't think you have the talent, I say it.

I try not to be the type that brings nothing but negativity, however, if I'm unhappy with a player. I'll state it.

Found it, you're right. I did say it outside the GDT. But I did eventually relent on that point...and both of us expressed at the time fear over Kellen Clemens in that thread.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
G. He's an unknown...and an unknown is better than a player that we know can't get the job done

Now I ask you...what's the down-side?

The down side is that we still can win games and if the coaches put in Davis just cuz he is not the best option as far as the coaches that have watched his every move are concerned, we are giving up the season for a QB they thought enough of to cut him and not even put him on the practice squad. Everything else is just conjecture.

Look Jrry - I have appreciated your breakdowns several times. Lord knows you put in the time. I just don't happen to agree that KC did as poorly as you would like to suggest (you should have heard me talk my dad down from the ledge) and I personally am not ready to forfeit the season on a look-see basis. Clemens is who he is - a back-up QB that is likely better than the alternatives if you want to win games. If the coaches put in Davis, it is because he has shown an ability going forward. If not, they saw what I saw. A QB that is a back-up but can make the throws and is wise enough to work the offense. I don't honestly know what you saw in Davis but I thought he was no better than he was the year before and that didn't tell me he had real future potential. I would have loved to see it. I WANTED to see it. Fact is that KC played better against better competition so here we are. If you have an actual better option - great. I don't see it.

Break down all the faults you want. I - if I really cared or had the time - could do that for any QB in the league. EVERY QB makes bad reads and misses receivers. And that is not to excuse what I saw in KC. He missed what you would expect a lot of vets to see. I just don't buy that he missed what most back-ups would see. They are back-ups for a reason and not QBs being groomed to be the next starter. We don't have that and won't be just picking that up this year. Now if you see that in Davis and you think he could make the squad year in and year out, I'm down with that. It's not what I see but OK.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, he's receiving the same support I'd give any QB of the Rams. You do well, you get praise. You do poorly, you get criticism. If I don't think you have the talent, I say it.

I try not to be the type that brings nothing but negativity, however, if I'm unhappy with a player. I'll state it.

Found it, you're right. I did say it outside the GDT. But I did eventually relent on that point...and both of us expressed at the time fear over Kellen Clemens in that thread.
Well sure. Nobody wants a backup in over Bradford. I would hope EVERYONE had that same fear.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to silence your opinion. I already know your posting style and how you express your fandom. All I ask is that you do so without getting so entrenched that it becomes your mission to smear a player all over the board until you've convinced everyone twice that said player sucks. And I know you're trying to be critical without bashing the guy, but I've already edited 4 of your posts the past couple of days. It was so subtle that you probably didn't notice, but you're not being as vigilant as you could be. And, fair warning, I'm going to keep doing that to anyone who puts a negative *label* on any player here. That's just the way we roll, and that's what sets us apart from everyone else.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The down side is that we still can win games and if the coaches put in Davis just cuz he is not the best option as far as the coaches that have watched his every move are concerned, we are giving up the season for a QB they thought enough of to cut him and not even put him on the practice squad. Everything else is just conjecture.

But how many games can we really win with Clemens?

Look Jrry - I have appreciated your breakdowns several times. Lord knows you put in the time. I just don't happen to agree that KC did as poorly as you would like to suggest and I personally am not ready to forfeit the season on a look-see basis. Clemens is who he is - a back-up QB that is likely better than the alternatives if you want to win games. If the coaches put in Davis, it is because he has shown an ability going forward. If not, they saw what I saw. A QB that is a back-up but can make the throws and is wise enough to work the offense. I don't honestly know what you saw in Davis but I thought he was no better than he was the year before and that didn't tell me he had real future potential. I would have loved to see it. I WANTED to see it. Fact is that KC played better against better competition so here we are. If you have an actual better option - great. I don't see it.

Better options? Best not to open up that can of worms again. :wink:

It isn't what I see in Davis as much as what I don't see in Clemens. I don't know what Davis offers. I do know what Clemens offers and I'm not content with it. That's my reasoning.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well sure. Nobody wants a backup in over Bradford. I would hope EVERYONE had that same fear.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to silence your opinion. I already know your posting style and how you express your fandom. All I ask is that you do so without getting so entrenched that it becomes your mission to smear a player all over the board until you've convinced everyone twice that said player sucks. And I know you're trying to be critical without bashing the guy, but I've already edited 4 of your posts the past couple of days. It was so subtle that you probably didn't notice, but you're not being as vigilant as you could be. And, fair warning, I'm going to keep doing that to anyone who puts a negative *label* on any player here. That's just the way we roll, and that's what sets us apart from everyone else.

I'm probably just going to let the Clemens issue go soon. There's nothing to be done about it unless Fisher miraculously comes to the conclusion that he is better off seeing what he has in other QBs than throwing Clemens out there.

Apologies for not seeing it.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
I’ve read this entire thread and it amazes me that people are justifying Clements play. If either int Monday was avoided then the game would have been ours (Greg could make a FG from both yard markers) and both passes were not even close. I’ll simply go back to my original post “what is he 14 ints and 4 tds” Its now what its 16 ints. I don’t want to hear “green receivers”, Sam was one of the top rated QBs with these same receivers w/o a running game. X -Clements not only doesn’t have the same talent as Sam but in my opinion doesn’t even belong in this league. I’m sorry but 16 and 4 over what 3 years? No! I will still shout for my Rams and hope like heck that the kid throws a TD pass this year. But …….. Facts are facts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It isn't what I see in Davis as much as what I don't see in Clemens. I don't know what Davis offers. I do know what Clemens offers and I'm not content with it. That's my reasoning.
Nothing wrong with that. Many share the same sentiment around the interwebs.
You have to wonder if the coaches already know they're playing the lesser of two evils though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing wrong with that. Many share the same sentiment around the interwebs.
You have to wonder if the coaches already know they're playing the lesser of two evils though.

You never really know, though. Some guys just play better when the lights come on. Can't hurt to see. IMO, Davis out-played him in the 2012 pre-season and both stunk in the 2013 pre-season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I’ve read this entire thread and it amazes me that people are justifying Clements play. If either int Monday was avoided then the game would have been ours (Greg could make a FG from both yard markers) and both passes were not even close. I’ll simply go back to my original post “what is he 14 ints and 4 tds” Its now what its 16 ints. I don’t want to hear “green receivers”, Sam was one of the top rated QBs with these same receivers w/o a running game. X -Clements not only doesn’t have the same talent as Sam but in my opinion doesn’t even belong in this league. I’m sorry but 16 and 4 over what 3 years? No! I will still shout for my Rams and hope like heck that the kid throws a TD pass this year. But …….. Facts are facts.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know though. And I CERTAINLY didn't say, hint, or insinuate, that Clemens has the same talent as Sam. That said, you will continue to hear about green receivers, because there were opportunities that they failed to capitalize on. That's not a dig at the receivers in as much as it's a stone cold fact that they're green. The elder Ram on this receiving corps has 3 years experience. That's green no matter how you slice it, and it doesn't go away as an excuse for the QBs now that Bradford is out. They didn't suddenly get experienced and locked in.

nighttrain

Legend
If he executed "well", I don't know what executing poorly is. That was one of the worst displays of QBing I've seen in quite awhile. I agree...get the young guys experience. Austin Davis is a young guy.
that is what I saw, disappointing. give me a young guy with some potential
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You never really know, though. Some guys just play better when the lights come on. Can't hurt to see. IMO, Davis out-played him in the 2012 pre-season and both stunk in the 2013 pre-season.
I can dig it. I know that because Stacy came in and put everyone else in the back seat. So maybe Austin can shine in the spotlight, but I really, really doubt it. I saw him get that deer-in-the-headlights look and that's the same look I saw out of Druckenmiller. How's THAT for a name from the past, eh?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can dig it. I know that because Stacy came in and put everyone else in the back seat. So maybe Austin can shine in the spotlight, but I really, really doubt it. I saw him get that deer-in-the-headlights look and that's the same look I saw out of Druckenmiller. How's THAT for a name from the past, eh?

I doubt it too. But hey...you can always yank the kid and put Clemens back in. It's not like Clemens isn't used to riding the bench. :wink:

Honestly, who expected Case Keenum to play as well as he did?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'm just going to add that Paul has edited some of my posts and I am just golden with it. I sure as shit would like someone to edit posts on other forums. I take no hard feelings from it. Disagreeing as far as I can recall has never been an issue with Paul - in fact he seems to really dig it. Just heed what he said in his latest announcement. This is cool shit. A forum operator that actually pays attention.

I for one really like the breakdowns proffered by the likes of Doc, Jrry, CoachO (Man - I am leaving out some good ones), etc. But I admire more the efforts by the Admins to keep this site what it is. And that aint purdy some times when you are dealing with what our team has given us over the past decade (and beyond).

We respectfully disagree here and that will and should happen often. CAN YOU DIG IT???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I doubt it too. But hey...you can always yank the kid and put Clemens back in. It's not like Clemens isn't used to riding the bench. :wink:

Honestly, who expected Case Keenum to play as well as he did?
That's a good point.
I know Clemens wasn't your primary option going into the season, so who was? Austin?
Or did you want them to trade for/draft someone else?

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
Green is relative to position. The receiver position is one that many kids step right into. Many of the top receivers in the J. Jones and AJ Green are just a few that come off the top of my head. On another point I think I may be seeing one of the greatest Ram defenses developing before my eyes. If we can just solidify the secondary issue, I believer it will be better than the 1999 Rams and this line could develop .... naaaa that's too much to ever dream about

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CAN YOU DIG IT???
I KNEW THAT YA COULD...

SaturdayNightFever-1.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a good point.
I know Clemens wasn't your primary option going into the season, so who was? Austin?
Or did you want them to trade for/draft someone else?

I really wanted them to sign Shaun Hill a couple years ago but he spurned us to go back to Detroit. I liked Ryan Nassib in the 4th round but honestly, I would have taken Barrett Jones over him if given the chance. And I wouldn't have taken a QB after that. So yea, we probably would have been stuck with it either ways. Like I said, big mistake in hindsight.

The only other option, I made my opinion known on last week. But I wouldn't have signed he who shall not be named before the season. Too much drama with him on the bench.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Green is relative to position. The receiver position is one that many kids step right into. Many of the top receivers in the J. Jones and AJ Green are just a few that come off the top of my head. On another point I think I may be seeing one of the greatest Ram defenses developing before my eyes. If we can just solidify the secondary issue, I believer it will be better than the 1999 Rams and this line could develop .... naaaa that's too much to ever dream about
I hear ya, but the amount of receivers that stepped right in and produced is SO small though. I mean really rare. We didn't draft anyone like Green or Jones or anyone else who lit it up right off the bat. In fact, in the last decade, the number of receivers who came in and produced at a high level can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare.

Glad you reigned in that comment about this team rivaling the 1999 Rams defense. We gots a ways ta go before that can be argued...