New QB Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've looked at every team and their backup QB situation, and I can't find anyone who I'd rather have at this point. All of them have the potential to be better, but then again, all of them have the potential to be worse too. Clemens isn't hurting this team, so there's nothing really to worry about as far as I'm concerned.
This is exactly what I found a couple weeks ago when I looked around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've looked at every team and their backup QB situation, and I can't find anyone who I'd rather have at this point. All of them have the potential to be better, but then again, all of them have the potential to be worse too. Clemens isn't hurting this team, so there's nothing really to worry about as far as I'm concerned.

I'd take Kyle Orton, Matt Schaub, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Nassib, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell and Shaun Hill in a heartbeat. But...doesn't matter because that's not the choice we have.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd take Kyle Orton, Matt Schaub, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Nassib, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell and Shaun Hill in a heartbeat.
Hey. What you do in your own time is your b'ness.
gay.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd take Kyle Orton, Matt Schaub, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Nassib, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell and Shaun Hill in a heartbeat. But...doesn't matter because that's not the choice we have.

You're right in that we don't have those choices. But out of that group, I'd maybe take Orton and Cousins. Not sure why you really think Nassib is that good. Maybe he is but he had something like a 60% completion rate playing in THE worst conference in major college football. Matt Moore has real issues between the ears unless he changed something from his college days and early pro career. Jason Campbell? I don't think he gives us a big advantage over KC even if he knew the offense. And Shaun Hill may be a little better but practically IS Kellen Clemens - a career back-up for a reason. I fail to see any future upside with any of these guys besides Cousins - who we are not getting away from WA, and maybe Nassib because he might - MIGHT have upside in the NFL. If we're going by college numbers, KC's college numbers far outshined Nassib's while playing in a much better conference.

Anyway, Kellen will likely never impress us as a true #1 QB but given the real choices that we ACTUALLY do have, I'd keep him even over most of those AND the options on your list.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just read thru this thread from the beginning. The Clemens saga has been pretty entertaining to say the least.
The Rams went from being the league laughing stock during the <False> Favre rumors, and now Green Bay is so desperate they signed Matt Flynn to throw left handed. Clem is what he is. A grizzled vet who knows the system, and can keep the young-uns on track. Wont win any races or beauty contests, but he'll get the job done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right in that we don't have those choices. But out of that group, I'd maybe take Orton and Cousins. Not sure why you really think Nassib is that good. Maybe he is but he had something like a 60% completion rate playing in THE worst conference in major college football. Matt Moore has real issues between the ears unless he changed something from his college days and early pro career. Jason Campbell? I don't think he gives us a big advantage over KC even if he knew the offense. And Shaun Hill may be a little better but practically IS Kellen Clemens - a career back-up for a reason. I fail to see any future upside with any of these guys besides Cousins - who we are not getting away from WA, and maybe Nassib because he might - MIGHT have upside in the NFL. If we're going by college numbers, KC's college numbers far outshined Nassib's while playing in a much better conference.

Anyway, Kellen will likely never impress us as a true #1 QB but given the real choices that we ACTUALLY do have, I'd keep him even over most of those AND the options on your list.

When I did extensive film study of Nassib, I saw him as an extremely similar player to Cousins...and somewhat similar to Kellen Clemens really. He's just a younger option that I think has upside and would have some trade value if he did well. Campbell and Orton both were alright as starters and have more consistent track records than KC. Moore has been up and down but Clemens is the same way. I think Moore offers more when up. Hill lacks an arm but he plays smart, anticipates routes well and has always impressed me with his ability to manage the game when he's been asked to step in.

But Clemens is playing good football right now so I have no issues with him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bottom line is everybody has to step up in Bradford's absence. We saw what happens when the Rams play well as a whole. We've had multiple games this year where only Bradford, Quinn, and maybe another played at a high level. Clemens actually inherited a better situation than Sam. How? Zac Stacy started Jacksonville game and Bradford went down a game and a half later. If STL could have somehow got that running game going in the beginning of the season then we're looking at a much better record, IMO. I guess it's good we have this figured out for next year, but this year isnt over yet.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the divide is really the question as in which team has the greatest dropoff from starter to backup, I don't think there was a dropoff from Vick to Foles and I'd think if Vick comes back he will face a cacophony ( my verbal dynamics word of the day:cool:) of boos unless he absolutely shines.
The greatest divide of which I am aware is from PManning to Osweiler, unless his accuracy has improved the Broncos season is as over as bell bottoms if their starter goes down.
I think the guy you have as your backup and what you need from him is satisfied by KC in every expect-able capacity(yesterdays "word") if he was physically much better he'd BE a starter somewhere and his knowledge of the playbook and his OC's knowledge of what to expect from him is about as good a situation as you could hope for, add to that his ability to actually help teach the system to your starter ,JMO we would be foolish to try to replace him unless we had a damned good alternative and thought Sam was so accomplished in the system that he couldn't learn anything from KC.
I agree completely with deiter 'bout this ,I wouldn't mind if we got an athlete around the third round to develop and even as someone who came in and looked awesome with a veteran team in the rare appearance , became trade bait like we see from time to time in the league.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can see signing a QB to develop but unless someone else falls in our lap I don't really see anyone who can come in and provide the stability that Clemens has shown this year. $870K including a signing bonus, sounds like a pretty good insurance policy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If Clemons continues to play decent (I.E. not be completely awful, turning the ball over constantly, unable to make any throws, etc) I think they'll just resign him because he knows the system. Unless the value is too great to pass on, the coaching staff is likely comfortable with what we have at QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Great analogy right there. Back-up QBs generally ARE much like those little weenie spare tires. You can get around on them and run your vehicle in a pinch but you can't go full speed and you need to avoid a lot of the twists and turns. IMO, Clemens is the spare tire that is full size but just doesn't have the tread that your other tires have. You can slap it on, know that it fits, but really can't expect the performance from your real tires.

Can you relate this thought to me in something easier to understand.......using ribs as an analogy instead of tires.

Kidding aside, all the bitching about not having a backup QB has been laid to rest IMO. And I have no interest in drafting a developmental guy unless someone can provide a list of QBs drafted in the third round or later that got developed into excellent starters.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can you relate this thought to me in something easier to understand.......using ribs as an analogy instead of tires.

Kidding aside, all the bitching about not having a backup QB has been laid to rest IMO. And I have no interest in drafting a developmental guy unless someone can provide a list of QBs drafted in the third round or later that got developed into excellent starters.

I mean...I can provide a list...doesn't mean we should or shouldn't draft one. :wink:

List
Tom Brady - 6th
Russell Wilson - 3rd
Nick Foles - 3rd(well...yet to prove he's excellent)
Kurt Warner - UDFA
Joe Montana - 3rd
Tony Romo - UDFA
Matt Schaub - 3rd
Jeff Garcia - UDFA
Trent Green - 8th
Rich Gannon - 4th
Marc Bulger - 6th
Mark Brunell - 5th
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th
Brian Griese - 3rd
Brad Johnson - 9th
Jake Delhomme - UDFA
Warren Moon - UDFA

There are a lot more but I tried to limit it to QBs who played recently...except for Montana...because he's Montana.

And I guess it depends on your definition of "excellent" but all these guys were Pro Bowl QBs at one point or another.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm seeing a few problems with that list. Without the NFL Europe league I think Warner and Delhomme might not have made it and without the CFL, Garcia and Moon may never have got a shot. Schaub, Green, Gannon, Bulger, Brunell and Hasslebeck didn't really do much for the teams that drafted them. This looks more like a list supporting the idea to scour other team's rosters for practice squad/backup guys.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I mean...I can provide a list...doesn't mean we should or shouldn't draft one. :wink:

List
Tom Brady - 6th
Russell Wilson - 3rd
Nick Foles - 3rd(well...yet to prove he's excellent)
Kurt Warner - UDFA
Joe Montana - 3rd
Tony Romo - UDFA
Matt Schaub - 3rd
Jeff Garcia - UDFA
Trent Green - 8th
Rich Gannon - 4th
Marc Bulger - 6th
Mark Brunell - 5th
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th
Brian Griese - 3rd
Brad Johnson - 9th
Jake Delhomme - UDFA
Warren Moon - UDFA

There are a lot more but I tried to limit it to QBs who played recently...except for Montana...because he's Montana.

And I guess it depends on your definition of "excellent" but all these guys were Pro Bowl QBs at one point or another.

I see four guys I would call excellent.

And other than those not a lot of wins in the post season.

The list is fine if I said starters, but only a few of those guys are excellent. The rest are not.

Brian Greise? Really? WTF was that lol.......

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see four guys I would call excellent.

And other than those not a lot of wins in the post season.

The list is fine if I said starters, but only a few of those guys are excellent. The rest are not.

Brian Greise? Really? WTF was that lol.......

You see four guys...on a list with four HOFers/future HOFers?

Seems like steep expectations to me. :wink:

fearsomefour

Legend

I second this. However, if Clemons plays like he has the last couple of weeks I see no need to burn a high draft pick on a QB. Want to use a late round pick on a developmental guy for learn under Clemons and Bradford, great.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You see four guys...on a list with four HOFers/future HOFers?

Seems like steep expectations to me. :wink:

I see three HOF guys.....wait is Moon in? Hmmmm

There are some average guys on that list.....and some good players, but not a lot of excellent ones so my point is why spend a pick on a developmental QB when you can use it somewhere else.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see three HOF guys.....wait is Moon in? Hmmmm

There are some average guys on that list.....and some good players, but not a lot of excellent ones so my point is why spend a pick on a developmental QB when you can use it somewhere else.

Yep, Moon is in.

Every player on the list made a Pro Bowl at QB. Some were average. Some were good starters. Some were great. Some were HOFers.

I think if you get an average or better starting QB in the 3rd or later, you're doing well. Plus, those guys tend to have great trade values.

Why spend a pick on a developmental QB?
A. They're good value
and
B. If your starter goes down, they can start
and
C. They tend to have great trade value if they play well