New QB Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't keep running the route tree when the QB goes out of the pocket due to being pressured (and teams would bring the HOUSE against Tebow). It's incumbent upon the receiver to recognize that and do everything in his power to get back to the QB or improvise. We didn't see that Monday. I think that hampers their development more than it helps, IMO.

Eh. That might be an issue but it didn't seem to hinder DeMaryius Thomas or Eric Decker.

I'm just saying it's better than the alternative of losing. But that's not for me to decide.

Because that's where he excels. You don't have to be huge to run a screen. You just have to be fast and elusive. If any of the blocking that's been set up for him had ever been successful, then we'd see why it's a smart play. But man, the blocking on these screens has been really, really bad.

At the same time, the defense knows it's coming. It would be smart if Schotty faked it every once in awhile. Pump fake to Austin then have the WR on that side of the field fake the block and release for a deep route. I think it could pan out and it would help Austin out.

More than anything, though, what would help Austin out is if we treated him like the real WR he is instead of a gimmick player.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
I just remember seeing him split the D against the Panthers(?) - a thing of beauty - except for Longs' leg whip' And all of his returns called back due to penalties. He has to be frustrated. And I disagree a little size gets you past that one guy. Look around; Megatron runs screens and looses how many yards?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At the same time, the defense knows it's coming. It would be smart if Schotty faked it every once in awhile. Pump fake to Austin then have the WR on that side of the field fake the block and release for a deep route. I think it could pan out and it would help Austin out.

More than anything, though, what would help Austin out is if we treated him like the real WR he is instead of a gimmick player.
Sounds like a winner of a play. Can we hold the blocking for that long? If so, winner winner chicken dinner.

And yeah, I agree. I'd like to see Austin in the X or Z more often too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Look around; Megatron runs screens and looses how many yards?
Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, Donnie Avery, guys like that. They all run a successful screen too. I'd like to see a few more mid screens. Clear out with all that speed (Givens, Cook, even Pettis) and run a drag underneath. That way the only blocking you need is a legal pick on the clear out and maybe a releasing TE.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You had to bring up Cook - WTFO happened to him?
I dunno. New system? He's on pace to surpass his best year in Tennessee, but not by much. And now with Bradford out, who knows what happens with his production or development. We all had pretty high expectations that clearly aren't being met.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
G. He's an unknown...and an unknown is better than a player that we know can't get the job done

Now I ask you...what's the down-side?

The down side is you got a green horn leading green horns! We got enough problems in this soup sandwhich already. And we are not looking for a new starter starter for next year so there really isn't much up side at all. Just let Clemons mitigate the damage and move on, I says.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The down side is you got a green horn leading green horns! We got enough problems in this soup sandwhich already. A are not looking for a new starter starter for next year so there really isn't much up side at all. Just let Clemens mitigate the damage and move on, I says.

We are looking for a new backup. That's the upside.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Really?

So when the team (led by Bradford) absolutely TANKED for two games, and several members of this board had simultaneous aneurysms while jumping ship, and Fisher said "It'll get better", there was no merit to that statement? Because .... it did. Now Clemens has one game that was substandard while we were within 1 yard and 4 seconds of winning, and Fisher tells us "it'll get better", so we should be insulted by that?

Like I said in another post. Be careful what you wish for (Keith Null). If Clemens gets hurt and Davis comes in and does horribly, then we're onto Brady Quinn who has zero chance of being any better with his absence of knowledge and experience with this team/staff/scheme/receivers. Then what will be the reaction? Fire Fisher? Maybe we should just try to support the players we trot out there. Because they certainly haven't given up.
What's insulting is that they keep doing the same things while telling us it will get better. For example, how many games, going back to last season did we wonder why the CB's played so far off the ball. Or, why did we have to endure watching DR run it up the middle again and again and again. Or, why did it take until the 8th game of the season to unleash the D-line? We all talked about these things here, the local analysts and former Rams pretty much made the same observations, but it took quite a few games before these things were changed. I find that baffling.

In the world in which I breathe, think and eat, we call them safe-to-fail experiments, where you intentionally design and introduce new things in such a way that it won't be catestrophic to the overall system if they fail. That's how you test, that's how you learn, and that's how you determine what works. Sorry, but I see far too little of that approach by this coaching staff. And this absolutely drives me insane, epsecially when I hear them state the same rhetoric over and over again. Things won't get better if you don't try something new, and I will guarantee you of this.

Put Austin in at QB this weekend and you'll draw me back to the TV set to see how he does. Or let's see Bailey in the slot or wide-out. Or, perhaps we can get some TA lined-up outside the numbers. Give me something. Otherwise, I'll spend the day with my kids at the park.

Last edited by a moderator:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Freeman was bad. But Freeman was also making plays to escape the pass rush and throws down field that Clemens couldn't have made. And there's no question in my mind that I'd take Freeman any Sunday...even after that atrocious outing...over Clemens.

Clemens didn't have the team in a position to win. He's directly responsible for the team not winning.

And lets not act like Clemens is accurate either. He was extremely inaccurate.

That's because Clemens didn't pull the trigger. He doesn't see the field well. He had to scramble because his sense of timing on routes was non-existent.

How did he not execute well? Indecisive, poor timing, poor pocket presence, poor accuracy, poor arm strength...aside from his scrambling...what did he do well? Seriously. Being able to scramble on a few plays isn't executing well in my book. If Sam put up a stinker like Clemens just did, you better bet I'd be criticizing him after it.

Austin Davis outplayed Clemens last year. He's young. He has a stronger arm. I'll take the risk on seeing what we have in him. Because worst case scenario...he stinks too. It's a lose-lose at worst.

I do remember that play. It took guts and was impressive. At the same time, it was only necessary because Clemens didn't pull the trigger on two different WRs.

uj6b.png

ssom.png

If that's Sam, he pulls the trigger on Givens on the drag because Browner was picked by Pettis coming out of the bunch set.(and Clemens did have time, he was at the top of his drop and Earl Thomas was not yet in position to make that play...Clemens had to double clutch on the play because he saw Givens too late) Or, even if you want to say he didn't see him in time due to progressions, Pettis opened up down the middle. Clemens had time and the protection to find him but dropped his eyes and tried to run for it. Pettis at this point has thrown his hands up in the air partially to get attention and partially out of frustration as he had just waved his arm that he was open a few steps before this.

You mean WRs that get open but get frustrated because the QB is incapable of finding them?

Bradford is the guy. But I want this team to be competitive now. I don't want to wait another year to watch a quality team.
Yeah, I had a whole long thing to say about still shots, only coaches knowing the play, yada, yada. Fuck it, I'm tired of this same crap. I support my team, I know they have issues, I don't pretend to have the magic potion to fix said issues. I support my coaches until they prove unworthy to me, and, or until they lose the support of the team.

This team wasn't built to win it all this year, and then we lost our franchise QB. It sucks. Clemens isn't Dan Marino, it sucks. But, I will watch them and support them until the end, and I won't get sucked into a black cancerous hole, my hope won't die. I won't say, "I'm done, or I won't watch another game until this or that," I'll be right where I am every Sunday, hoping for a win.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yeah, I had a whole long thing to say about still shots, only coaches knowing the play, yada, yada. Freak it, I'm tired of this same crap. I support my team, I know they have issues, I don't pretend to have the magic potion to fix said issues. I support my coaches until they prove unworthy to me, and, or until they lose the support of the team.

This team wasn't built to win it all this year, and then we lost our franchise QB. It sucks. Clemens isn't Dan Marino, it sucks. But, I will watch them and support them until the end, and I won't get sucked into a black cancerous hole, my hope won't die. I won't say, "I'm done, or I won't watch another game until this or that," I'll be right where I am every Sunday, hoping for a win.
I'm really sorry that I'm just not there mentally and emotionally anymore... I really am. I hate the downer fans, I really do. But after 40+ yrs, something clicked in me during the 49er game and I just can't get my Rams Mojo back. :sad:

fearsomefour

Legend
Kevin Carter, D'Marco Farr, Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Todd Lyght, Mike Jones, Keith Lyle, Leonard Little...

So much talent there, and they were locked in. I like our defense this year A LOT, but we're a few pieces away from that assembly of talent.

Something that really was key with that team were a few under the radar sort of second tier FA signings that really jelled and filled rolls. Mike Jones certainly, but Collins at LB was another, Ray Agnew ended up being a huge addition as a fiesty run stuffing DT and Tom Nutten was an amazing find out of Canada and made the left side of that Oline (with Pace) dominating.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't like the thread title so until now I've boycotted it and will continue to ,that is all.
I refuse to even read the damned thing.