New Left Tackle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You have to know how PFF grades.

D,W grades out better than Jalen because he's targeted more. If the ball isn't thrown Jalens way, there's no grade.

I agree Big Time with PFF, Whit is Much Better than Note and imho It's not even debatable, just me.

Also they grade A.D at the top again and again.

Is PFF the end, all answers, No but I do believe there's like 26 or so NFL teams that use their stats last I knew.

Sure, and if they use it as one of many tools, then fine.

However, it's far too easy for pros and fans alike to look at amalgamated "scores" like that given out by PFF and think that they're comprehensive and they're just not.

Moreover, in determining if a player should be acquired, PFF ratings are HORRIBLE and teams who use them deserve all the problems that come with that.

PFF doesn't ascertain or evaluate scheme fit, assignment integrity, locker room fit, character or any of a zillion other variables that are important when it comes to going beyond surface evaluations.

Is Whit better than Noteboom? Of course. The eyeball test solves that riddle.

and DW grading out higher than Ramsey when Ramsey erased one of the most prolific WRs in the game is part of why I say the metric is really for way oversimplifying things for television audiences and is pretty worthless beyond that.

If any pro teams actually use a metric in which the components are created by people without any actual applied knowledge in playing and/or coaching football, then they are the poorer for it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Well and part of it had to do with his shoulders which once they were surgically repaired, he was able to attain and sustain a much stronger physique.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Sure, and if they use it as one of many tools, then fine.

However, it's far too easy for pros and fans alike to look at amalgamated "scores" like that given out by PFF and think that they're comprehensive and they're just not.

Moreover, in determining if a player should be acquired, PFF ratings are HORRIBLE and teams who use them deserve all the problems that come with that.

PFF doesn't ascertain or evaluate scheme fit, assignment integrity, locker room fit, character or any of a zillion other variables that are important when it comes to going beyond surface evaluations.

Is Whit better than Noteboom? Of course. The eyeball test solves that riddle.

and DW grading out higher than Ramsey when Ramsey erased one of the most prolific WRs in the game is part of why I say the metric is really for way oversimplifying things for television audiences and is pretty worthless beyond that.

If any pro teams actually use a metric in which the components are created by people without any actual applied knowledge in playing and/or coaching football, then they are the poorer for it.
That's all I posted, Whit is better.

Your Good Poster and I really don't want to debate this.

But PFF has a 3 tier level and does have folks that know what their doing. On Mondays you get 1st tier, then it goes thru 2nd tier and then for NFL teams it goes thru a 3rd tier .

Reason NFL teams pay thousand and thousands of cash.

Like I posted, is PFF the Answer, No,but they do have 1 Heck of an insight.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why is there a reason to have a new starting LT? :confused:

If the Rams can snag the NFC 7th seed Wild Card playoff slot away from the AZ Card or the SF 9ers ...I would bet there is a very good chance that the Rams will have the current starting LT Joe Noteboom & the well seasoned & outstanding past starting LT Andrew Whitworth both ready to play in the playoffs.

Also either 2nd, yr OT & former 3rd round draft selection Bobby Evans who also started the last 7 gms last season @ OT, or Snead's golden nugget discovery & Kromer's favorite new rookie Tremayne Anchrum have been getting a ton of snaps as the 2nd team LT while AW has been on the IR.

The MAR 18 2020 signed AW contract has all the aspects contained inside to indicate that the Rams are all in for AW to be a Ram OT @ some function next season. AW will have an over $11 million cap hit in 2021. But who would care....... before the AW's injury he was one of the best performing LT's says short of being 39 yrs old in the NFL!

All of the four OT's mentioned in my post are under contract next season. I see no reason for any of them to not be. Anchrum might have some involvement @ center due to the UFA Blythe situation. But Noteboom/ Havenstein/ Whitworth & Evans will be working the OT unit in 2021 OTA. I did not even bring up OT 6-6- 320 Chandler Brewer either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Every Team's Early Top Target in the 2021 NFL Draft
ALEX BALLENTINEDECEMBER 7, 2020
Every Team's Early Top Target in the 2021 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
Los Angeles Rams: OT Walker Little, Stanford
1607360461869.png

Current top pick: Second Round 57th

The Rams—like the Texans—are drained of their draft capital going into the 2021 event. They won't have their first-round choice and won't make a selection until the mid-to-late second round That precludes them from taking some of the top offensive linemen in the class, but Walker Little would make a lot of sense. The team had to turn to veteran Andrew Whitworth at left tackle again before a knee injury sidelined him.

Joseph Noteboom is stepping in at the position now, but that's a fix-a-flat solution. It can't be the long-term answer.

There's a lot to like about Little as a second-round selection. His pass protection has some flaws mechanically, but he was a higher-rated high school prospect than Jedrick Wills Jr., Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs—all first-rounders from the 2020 class.

He's violent with his hands and has the size you want in a left tackle at 6'7" and 309 pounds. With the right coaching, he may be able to shore up his technique and become a viable starting blindside protector. That's big value with the Rams' first pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Many teams have very mobile active quick QB's so OT's with retarded technical skills in pass blocking might be worth entertaining during the draft.

I do know Snead has commented on this very issue many times in the past. So they can groom them into starting OG's @ faster rate. Rams have some sample-sized examples below:

David Edwards college RT now starting LG.
Austin Corbett college LT now starting RG.
Jamil Demby college LT now back up OG.
Rodger Saffold college LT now starting OG.

Going against the grain?
Chandler Brewer college RG was OT reserve.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Every Team's Early Top Target in the 2021 NFL Draft
ALEX BALLENTINEDECEMBER 7, 2020
Every Team's Early Top Target in the 2021 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
Los Angeles Rams: OT Walker Little, Stanford
View attachment 41688

Current top pick: Second Round 57th

The Rams—like the Texans—are drained of their draft capital going into the 2021 event. They won't have their first-round choice and won't make a selection until the mid-to-late second round That precludes them from taking some of the top offensive linemen in the class, but Walker Little would make a lot of sense. The team had to turn to veteran Andrew Whitworth at left tackle again before a knee injury sidelined him.

Joseph Noteboom is stepping in at the position now, but that's a fix-a-flat solution. It can't be the long-term answer.

There's a lot to like about Little as a second-round selection. His pass protection has some flaws mechanically, but he was a higher-rated high school prospect than Jedrick Wills Jr., Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs—all first-rounders from the 2020 class.

He's violent with his hands and has the size you want in a left tackle at 6'7" and 309 pounds. With the right coaching, he may be able to shore up his technique and become a viable starting blindside protector. That's big value with the Rams' first pick.

Not my idea of what the Rams need. We have good offensive linemen. I like what Noteboom's been doing. I think Whitworth will come back. If not, Noteboom and Evans can fight it out for the job. I'd draft a lineman, sure, but it would be a center first, not offensive tackle.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not my idea of what the Rams need. We have good offensive linemen. I like what Noteboom's been doing. I think Whitworth will come back. If not, Noteboom and Evans can fight it out for the job. I'd draft a lineman, sure, but it would be a center first, not offensive tackle.
I think drafting a good Olineman is a priority every year, if you want a good offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think drafting a good Olineman is a priority every year, if you want a good offense.

I know, but given that our offensive line is pretty much set, except for Blythe who could leave, we don't need an offensive tackle. I'd draft a center to replace him or move Corbett there and Evans to guard (in which case, yes, we'd need a tackle).

But honestly, I'd go so far as to draft three linebackers. We are in desperate need of them, especially a dominant inside linebacker who won't be taken off the field, who can command the defense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know, but given that our offensive line is pretty much set, except for Blythe who could leave, we don't need an offensive tackle. I'd draft a center to replace him or move Corbett there and Evans to guard (in which case, yes, we'd need a tackle).

But honestly, I'd go so far as to draft three linebackers. We are in desperate need of them, especially a dominant inside linebacker who won't be taken off the field, who can command the defense.
Injuries happen, sometimes in bunches. You never lose with a great Oline, draft wise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to know how PFF grades.

D,W grades out better than Jalen because he's targeted more. If the ball isn't thrown Jalens way, there's no grade.

I agree Big Time with PFF, Whit is Much Better than Note and imho It's not even debatable, just me.

Also they grade A.D at the top again and again.

Is PFF the end, all answers, No but I do believe there's like 26 or so NFL teams that use their stats last I knew.

Respectfully, Dz, I know how PFF grades. I know because I considered working with them years ago when they were just starting out (they were recruiting volunteers to watch games and do data input). I asked questions about their grading system back then because I wanted to ascertain if it was worthwhile. In my opinion, it's not accurate enough, which is why I opted not to volunteer for them. It is incorrect to say that they don't grade a CB if he's not targeted. They watch the CB and grade how he fares on each play regardless of whether he's targeted or not. If you get beat but the QB throws the ball elsewhere, they give you a negative grade.

The problem I had with PFF is they grade purely on what they see. They explicitly tell you not to consider scheme or responsibilities. That's a bit like grading a book's ending without having read the rest of it.

That's all I posted, Whit is better.

Your Good Poster and I really don't want to debate this.

But PFF has a 3 tier level and does have folks that know what their doing. On Mondays you get 1st tier, then it goes thru 2nd tier and then for NFL teams it goes thru a 3rd tier .

Reason NFL teams pay thousand and thousands of cash.

Like I posted, is PFF the Answer, No,but they do have 1 Heck of an insight.

NFL teams don't purchase PFF's subjective grading (that's for fans and the media). They have their own scouts. NFL teams purchase PFF's data. It saves them the time and money of having to hire people to compile it themselves. PFF has a treasure trove of data because they log every single play. That gives NFL teams a lot of situational information on players (how does WR X perform on slant routes against man coverage, for example).

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Respectfully, Dz, I know how PFF grades. I know because I considered working with them years ago when they were just starting out (they were recruiting volunteers to watch games and do data input). I asked questions about their grading system back then because I wanted to ascertain if it was worthwhile. In my opinion, it's not accurate enough, which is why I opted not to volunteer for them. It is incorrect to say that they don't grade a CB if he's not targeted. They watch the CB and grade how he fares on each play regardless of whether he's targeted or not. If you get beat but the QB throws the ball elsewhere, they give you a negative grade.

The problem I had with PFF is they grade purely on what they see. They explicitly tell you not to consider scheme or responsibilities. That's a bit like grading a book's ending without having read the rest of it.

NFL teams don't purchase PFF's subjective grading (that's for fans and the media). They have their own scouts. NFL teams purchase PFF's data. It saves them the time and money of having to hire people to compile it themselves. PFF has a treasure trove of data because they log every single play. That gives NFL teams a lot of situational information on players (how does WR X perform on slant routes against man coverage, for example).

I meant no disrespects to anyone on the grading,just questions about, do you know how they Grade.

It was a Question,not an Attack on Mack.I know Football, just a little.

Can PFF know who should cover who in a zone, No, a blitz package No.And on it goes.

O like PFF gets data for the NFL but doesn't use it for the fan base grades, now I'm lost.

Couple years ago a Certain Asst Coach sat down with PFF,went thru a ton of,weeks.

600 plays were called, 12 were wrong.So is PFF The Answer No but helluva a beginning.

So when Note scores 40 points or so less than Whit,there's an issue imho.

O and on PFF All 32 Teams now use them, for Drafting Contract negotiations etc etc etc and on it goes.

Its. Really nice to have varied opinions, but have to agree with the 32 F.O of the NFL.

Note isn't the Answer imho.

TexasRam

Legend
Not a big fan of PFF. When I compare my grades when I am able to carefully rewatch each snap and take careful notes PFF doesn't consistently match up to what I see.

They tend to do a lot of generalization based on highlights or big plays from what I can tell. For example, If a CB had a pick 6 and a key tipped pass at the end of the game they might get an A, even if they were toasted every other play. Other times their scores are right on. It drives me insane.

Noteboom has been promising so far. I think we should be happy that thus far he has been decent in pass protection. He is probably around a B grade in pass pro in my book in the first 3 games. His run blocking is probably in the C to D range. Overall i'll take it. Probably a C grade player overall but because he pass protects well at LT his value is much better than a C grade in my opinion. He hasn't had a real test of a Pro Bowl level edge player yet but has handled his man as good as you could hope for a first real season player at LT. He knows the system well and is assignment sound and that is half the battle. He still struggles to find and land blocks in the run game and sustain them. Just my opinion from watching him on tape.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Injuries happen, sometimes in bunches. You never lose with a great Oline, draft wise.

Still don’t see it as a priority.

This dude from Clemson is still the youngest Offensive Lineman in on The Rams.

What is your take on 21 year old Cam Akers or Henderson.

Bobby Evans , David Edwards, & Brewer are all only 23 years old. Think about the upside. All are Tackle Types.

Joe Noteboom is just getting started again & came back after a real bad injury & is running around the Grass.

I don’t UNDERSTAND the HATE & disrespect for these young Lineman.

Name me ever The Rams have ever had this Youth & Depth ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still don’t see it as a priority.

This dude from Clemson is still the youngest Offensive Lineman in on The Rams.

What is your take on 21 year old Cam Akers or Henderson.

Bobby Evans , David Edwards, & Brewer are all only 23 years old. Think about the upside. All are Tackle Types.

Joe Noteboom is just getting started again & came back after a real bad injury & is running around the Grass.

I don’t UNDERSTAND the HATE & disrespect for these young Lineman.

Name me ever The Rams have ever had this Youth & Depth ?
Who is hating? I like Boom & Company, just acknowledging reality that without a stout healthy Oline that is constantly refreshed, you will be wasting skill players. QB's and RB's, especially. You can't have a solid team that consistently wins without them. Therefore, keep drafting

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I meant no disrespects to anyone on the grading,just questions about, do you know how they Grade.

It was a Question,not an Attack on Mack.I know Football, just a little.

Can PFF know who should cover who in a zone, No, a blitz package No.And on it goes.

O like PFF gets data for the NFL but doesn't use it for the fan base grades, now I'm lost.

Couple years ago a Certain Asst Coach sat down with PFF,went thru a ton of,weeks.

600 plays were called, 12 were wrong.So is PFF The Answer No but helluva a beginning.

So when Note scores 40 points or so less than Whit,there's an issue imho.

O and on PFF All 32 Teams now use them, for Drafting Contract negotiations etc etc etc and on it goes.

Its. Really nice to have varied opinions, but have to agree with the 32 F.O of the NFL.

Note isn't the Answer imho.

I just told you that they don't use them for the grades. That's for fans and the media.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You still thinking about moving the Rams best overall performing OL'er according to PFF away from RG is a good ideal? Corbett 78.2 grade last Sunday.

I am sure the Rams will resign center ERFA Coleman Shelton back for 2021. By the end of the season, Shelton will have been the backup OC for 2 straight seasons. So he & Goff have had a heavy dose of reps. Rams salary cap can easily afford that cheap ERFA contract. CS will be entering his 4th training camp in the NFL that should mean something it just takes longer to get these college OL'er up to the strength & power needed against the NFL powerful NT's. CS had "OL 101 technique" down fully to have started @ every OL position @ Washington. When you read all the draft sites the major flaw (it was a big one) as he was weak without power. After 3 seasons in the NFL training weight facilities, CS should be up to par by now.

Plus there's former starting center Brian Allen who is thought of here @ ROD as lower than a pile of :poop:..... will enter his 4th season as a Ram & with Kromer as his OL coach. Kromer has kept this OC on the active roster all season. It's my understanding that BA finally was able to participate in a full, not limited practice this week so his badly damaged knee must be finally responding & healing. If BA were to start this week he would not have OG's Jamil Demby, an injured Austin Blythe, or an OT playing OG Joe Noteboom starting next to him as he had in 2019. BA would have Corbett & Edwards now. BA just might be a polished diamond going into his 4th season as a OC.

I would not forget OC Jeremiah Kolone who Kromer has kept around on the edges since before TC of 2018 Kolone will be entering his 4th season as a Ram under Kromer's tutelage.

I certainly have no issues with the Rams drafting a OC in this upcoming draft but I would not remove Corbett.

Rams PFF grades from Week 13: Troy Hill leads the way with career-best game (yahoo.com)

Last edited:

TXRams86

The Infamous
I just told you that they don't use them for the grades. That's for fans and the media.
This really seems like a situation where @Dz1 is either only half-reading what you respond with or simply isn't understanding your responses.