New Left Tackle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not from what I’m watching. Maybe from a guards point of view.

Just watched him get to the 2nd level & had to do a summer salt which was cool to see.

Noteboom is still young & dude has power. Just watched him get down on a 3rd and short which went opposite of him to Robert Woods in motion.

Noteboom has bulked up & he was actually in a powerful 4 point stance.

I just think Ram Fans are not being far when Goff has trouble in the pocket. A bulrush was coming on the outside.He never steps up in the pocket. Anyway, thanks Fearsome.
So, what are you saying here?
You like his run blocking?
Just want to be clear.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Chandler Brewer was a big surprise in 2019. Originally an RG in college but Kromer sure did like the 6-6 320 lurkings around the LT post Chandler Brewer saw a ton of 2019 preseason action with 3 starts @ LT. I would expect that Brewer comes back n 2021 in much better shape & condition ready to play two full years removed from his cancer battle.

Since he will be here under contract several years longer than RG Austin Corbett & Joseph Noteboom who depart in 2022 you could see Brewer competing for most any open OL post with the exception of center. LT just might be where Kromer is planing Brewer to restart his NFL career.

In addition, Kromer's short 6-1 7/8 ths short OL'er Tremayne Anchrum might join Kromer's other under 6-2 OL 'er Brain Allen in competing for the vacated starting center post in 2021. Allen's ongoing knee injury just might be too damaged to continue to play NFL ball. Thus leaving just RFA Coleman Shelton & Practice Squad Jeremiah Holone fighting for a chance @ OC.

Bonifay I think the future is bright & Brewer not playing this season was huge. I believe The Rams have a stable of young Offensive Lineman.

I’m a BIG Noteboom Fan. I like what I’ve seen from his rookie season learning from Andrew Whitworth.

This Covid thing didn’t help myself to personally evaluate players. Brewer,Edwards,Evans were all 22 year old rookies.

Hard call on how things will playout. When Whitworth got hurt Noteboom came in,like the next play or so Edwards had to come off the field.Bobby Evans filled in at LG for one play.

My view on Noteboom is he looks in Great Shape right now.He is still playing with extra caution.I always know when The Rams do bag drill pop Noteboom has that extra body power.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
:wtf:
Why add a wore down retired OT when the Rams have invested in the below for the future?

OT Joe Noteboom 25-3 rd / 27 NFL gms/ 10 starts
OT Bobby Evans 23 -2nd / 14 NFL gms/ 7 starts
OT Tremayne Anchrum 22-R/ 6 NFL gms. Played 3 seasons @ OT
OL'er Coleman Shelton 25 -2/ 21 NFL gms 0 starts played LT in college
OT/OG Jamil Demby 24-2nd/ 6NFL 2 starts played LT for 3 seasons in college
OG/OT David Edwards 23-2/ 27 NFL gms/ 20 starts played RT in college

Andrew Whitworth has a good chance of playing in 2021 as a Ram. Plus he has stated that if the Rams team decides it wants to play in the 2020 playoffs that he will be ready to help block for this offense.

If Noteboom is not getting the job done then insert OT Bobby Evans. If Evans is not getting the job done then insert OT Tremayne Anchrum. If none of those guys can get the job done then insert OG David Edwards & so on. I think it's too early to yank Noteboom after just 2 starts @ LT.
Serious Very Good post and Great Food for thought.

But we added Whit when everyone thought he was washed up, how that work ???

Whit said he didn't need surgery that's a level 2 MCL not a 3 imho,he might be able to comeback sooner than expected.

Stay Tuned lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on my Ram Bro, never posted said etc etc they were Bust.Never.

Just better with Whit. Whit is and has scored time and time again has Best O Lineman Period.

Dude scores in the high 80s often,that's just a little below AD,you know Mr Football.

My friend, you may not have meant it, but you did say that:
Whit is the Shit and without him,Goff is a bust and McVay is also a bust.

I'm a huge Whit fan. I agree that he's great. I think Noteboom is providing solid play. I'm happy that we have somebody who can do that while Whit recovers. I don't want Penn. Those are the extent of my thoughts.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
My friend, you may not have meant it, but you did say that:

I'm a huge Whit fan. I agree that he's great. I think Noteboom is providing solid play. I'm happy that we have somebody who can do that while Whit recovers. I don't want Penn. Those are the extent of my thoughts.
Guilty has said.I overstated my opinion.

I 100 percent believe in McVay and Goff needs talent around him,especially a Deep Threat.

All I'm saying is Whit is the most Elite player on this team for the O.

BTW I am Whit Homer. Big Time.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Last year Whit was not very good. Had 10 holding calls, most of any LT. This year he has played much better. They being said, I don't see him coming back.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Just giving you the grades from people who get paid for a living to evaluate every single snap, regardless of the outcome. If you prefer your evaluation you're entitled to do so, but some other people might be curious how's he's graded out thus far.

Those grades were mainly him at LG, no?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Bro like you but if you go to PFF scores Note is a joke against Whit.

Whit has scored again and again top 5,when healthy and the only ram player that has done better is AD.

Whit is Elite Bloodlines and Note is just an average LT at best,Hello.

Whit is the Shit and without him,Goff is a bust and McVay is also a bust.

Jmho.

Just a friendly reminder that PFF is barely a metric worth using.

The people who assign the grades for PFF have for the most part never coached or played. They don't know the play, the assignments or in many cases how to grade each assignment.

There have been many instances where a guy is given a bad grade when he was excellent at his job (Ramsey's recent grade in the 50s when he shut down Metcalfe and Metcalfe's only two receptions were when the Rams were in zone coverage.)

When it comes to OL play, the PFF graders don't know if the OL failed or if the defense called the perfect call to defeat the blocking scheme on that play. They don't give credit either way for reach blocks or other techniques that are the staple of some OLs. So, for example, if the Center is supposed to use a reach block on the NT in the right A gap and then transition to the second level on a run play and doesn't, when the NT slashes to his right into the gap created by the moving center and blows up the run play, PFF grades it as if the RG got beat when that reach block was critical to the success of the play.

Does it give the very barest of information? Yeah... sorta like taking a picture from a plane gives you the barest of information. You can see farms or cities or if forests are on fire, but you can't do complex analysis because there's not enough resolution from that image.

As well, how the singular score is assigned way overemphasizes splash plays over assignment play.

I mean, Darious Williams is graded out higher than Ramsey as a DB. Anyone wanna believe that being the #2 DB and balling out is the same as being an All-Pro shutdown corner in his prime?

Now, do teams fall for this? You bet. AJ Bouye was thought to be better than Ramsey when they were in J-ville. Turns out...not so much. He feasted at that #2 spot, but hasn't exactly been a game wrecker since getting his money.

Anyway, just a friendly reminder to use PFF sparingly and be sure to not let their score be foundational to one's argument because it's really such a generic and basic metric with so little accuracy that it can barely be used to make "good vs bad" statements and most assuredly cannot be used for discerning the play of individual players within schemes.

It's just not the right tool for that.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Just a friendly reminder that PFF is barely a metric worth using.

The people who assign the grades for PFF have for the most part never coached or played. They don't know the play, the assignments or in many cases how to grade each assignment.

There have been many instances where a guy is given a bad grade when he was excellent at his job (Ramsey's recent grade in the 50s when he shut down Metcalfe and Metcalfe's only two receptions were when the Rams were in zone coverage.)

When it comes to OL play, the PFF graders don't know if the OL failed or if the defense called the perfect call to defeat the blocking scheme on that play. They don't give credit either way for reach blocks or other techniques that are the staple of some OLs. So, for example, if the Center is supposed to use a reach block on the NT in the right A gap and then transition to the second level on a run play and doesn't, when the NT slashes to his right into the gap created by the moving center and blows up the run play, PFF grades it as if the RG got beat when that reach block was critical to the success of the play.

Does it give the very barest of information? Yeah... sorta like taking a picture from a plane gives you the barest of information. You can see farms or cities or if forests are on fire, but you can't do complex analysis because there's not enough resolution from that image.

As well, how the singular score is assigned way overemphasizes splash plays over assignment play.

I mean, Darious Williams is graded out higher than Ramsey as a DB. Anyone wanna believe that being the #2 DB and balling out is the same as being an All-Pro shutdown corner in his prime?

Now, do teams fall for this? You bet. AJ Bouye was thought to be better than Ramsey when they were in J-ville. Turns out...not so much. He feasted at that #2 spot, but hasn't exactly been a game wrecker since getting his money.

Anyway, just a friendly reminder to use PFF sparingly and be sure to not let their score be foundational to one's argument because it's really such a generic and basic metric with so little accuracy that it can barely be used to make "good vs bad" statements and most assuredly cannot be used for discerning the play of individual players within schemes.

It's just not the right tool for that.
You have to know how PFF grades.

D,W grades out better than Jalen because he's targeted more. If the ball isn't thrown Jalens way, there's no grade.

I agree Big Time with PFF, Whit is Much Better than Note and imho It's not even debatable, just me.

Also they grade A.D at the top again and again.

Is PFF the end, all answers, No but I do believe there's like 26 or so NFL teams that use their stats last I knew.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
On another Note..... Noteboom needs to be better at run blocking.....but.....we also just played 2 of the best run stuffing defenses. He should do against the Cards who average more than a half a yard a carry more per run better.
A very good point that we haven't really got enough of a sample size to say that Noteboom is as poor as that 37 grade he received.

He may be better than the sample shows and he may be coached up.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
When a LT has lower grades than GRob,there's going to be questions .

If the Whiners had a Heathly front line Goff would be on the IR.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

half of that time was used to teach him how to block at the guard position.

let's see once he really gets back into the groove at LT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Might prove a better fit at LT. With experience and time, he could improve as a run blocker there. IMO, he doesn't have the power to generate a lot of movement at OG. But edge defenders are generally smaller. Where he needs to improve is making his blocks in space and on the second level. That could be something we see progress with time. He's never going to be Whitworth good, but few are.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not everybody learns at the same rate.
Plus they're only now getting tape of him as a starter.
That allows them to evaluate what Noteboom is not doing correctly and help him correct it.
Between the bench time, the position switching and the injuries, I can see him being a little behind the ball in all the aspects of the game.

As we all know, pass protection is the number one job of a left tackle and he's doing pretty good at that.
If it was the other way around, I might agree with you.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why does someone want to spend money on a 38 year old OT? They already have a better old man in Whitworth and have a good young guy still developing in Noteboom. Geeez enough with the grass being greener cuz in this case it ain't. Penn showed his age last year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
iu