New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is the part many don't seem to understand.
Honestly, I think people do understand that. Does anyone know how that affects the process though? I'm guessing you can't just say the city or state gets a pass in that they weren't the CVC. Do we really think that because the CVC dropped the ball that Stan has to either pick the ball up and serve it or wait for some other entity to do so?

Personally, I DON'T understand where the CVC gets its authority. It has to come from somewhere - city, state, county, metro area, something. Clearly they are not a true private entity. Care to shed some light as I honestly don't get the whole separation thing between the CVC and the city/county/state that somehow comes into play here. You can say that it was the CVC that Stan was negotiating with during the arbitration. How does knowing that have an effect on what we are talking about now?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He made a pitch in the current dome. Now a brand new stadium is on the table, it's a different negotiation. I also think its going to be VERY hard for them to justify a move the way things sit now. Now if STL loses it's steam in say the financing portion of the deal, then it's a different ball game.
That seems to be a very big key. Not sure it is the only key but if Nixon is moving this project along as he seems to be, it would figure that he is either confident he has the funding in place or he will be able to get it. Regardless, it seems he's playing it right - be it to keep the Rams or show the NFL that the city is an NFL city. Either way, I can't see how St Louis is not an NFL city when others are having at least as much difficulty with a better product being put on the field. I love my Rams but seriously, you can't ignore the record.

I'm a lifer. I can't get behind any other team. So I'm biased, a homer, bleed blue and gold, yellow, white - whatever. I will be here no matter what city they play in.

But for anyone to say that St Louis is not an NFL city, to me, that is ludicrous.

I was born in LA and I'm a third generation Rams fan raising two next generation Rams fans. Personally, I'd be more pissed at this point if the Rams got removed from the shecocks division as that gives me the best opportunity to see a game at least once a year. I'm good with them staying in St Louis and I'm ok with them moving to Inglewood. I think it would suck for the St Louis fans but it's not like I can do anything about that.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Honestly, I think people do understand that. Does anyone know how that affects the process though? I'm guessing you can't just say the city or state gets a pass in that they weren't the CVC. Do we really think that because the CVC dropped the ball that Stan has to either pick the ball up and serve it or wait for some other entity to do so?

Personally, I DON'T understand where the CVC gets its authority. It has to come from somewhere - city, state, county, metro area, something. Clearly they are not a true private entity. Care to shed some light as I honestly don't get the whole separation thing between the CVC and the city/county/state that somehow comes into play here. You can say that it was the CVC that Stan was negotiating with during the arbitration. How does knowing that have an effect on what we are talking about now?

Can you really say the CVC dropped the ball? Just because Stan didn't get everything he wanted? To me, not meeting a unreasonable requirement designed to produce a negative response is not dropping the ball.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Can you really say the CVC dropped the ball? Just because Stan didn't get everything he wanted? To me, not meeting a unreasonable requirement designed to produce a negative response is not dropping the ball.
I get what you are saying inasmuch as the upgrade would have called for a shutdown of the dome in order to do the work and also no commitment by Stan in terms of money. Very one sided offer from Kroenke, it would seem!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I get what you are saying inasmuch as the upgrade would have called for a shutdown of the dome in order to do the work and also no commitment by Stan in terms of money. Very one sided offer from Kroenke, it would seem!

No doubt in my mind that offer was intended to be rejected. It's like offering a guy with a 200,000 house 18,000 and then claiming he won’t work with you. Or a guy on unemployment who turns in awful applications designed to fulfill his quota but be unhirable at the same time.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Well yeah, it's up for debate, that's what the owners will decide. If he did a good enough job or not. Right now there hasn't been any indication of how they feel other than Goodell saying that they were satisfied with his efforts thus far. That can change as time goes on, obviously, but we wont know how they feel until they vote. He HAS made an offer to remain in St Louis, and was turned down. While the CVC is independent from the city, it's still an offer to remain in the market, which was turned down. Just because the parties have changed, doesn't mean that he didn't make an offer to remain in the market, if one says no, and another makes a pitch, he's not obligated to begin negotiations with the new group. While he hasn't met with the groups face to face, he has sent people on his behalf to talk to the Peacock side, so he is not just sitting back and doing absolutely nothing.

I agree with you it will depend on what the other owners think but in my opinion one counter "my way or the highway" proposal not a negotiation make especially when the city has returned with a new stadium proposal in 18 mos. He is obligated to negotiate in go faith with the City regardless if the party is new individuals or not. I think this is where we are splitting hairs here because the arbitration process was with the CVC over the current lease in respect to the EJD not with the city to leave the current market.

I'd guess that the NFL likely believes that an owner may leave a market even though there is an offer on the table, if the offer is not what the owner was looking for. The plans in LA and the plans in St Louis seem to be near total opposites. In LA he owns everything, it's a huge stadium, with what has been rumored to have a retractable roof. In St Louis he doesn't own anything really, a small stadium, and open dome. I don't think the NFL wants to back themselves into a corner where a city can just make any offer and then force a team to remain there. If St Louis was offering something that was very close to what he planned in LA I think that it would be a much harder sell to up and leave, but if there are significant differences in ideas, then I'm guessing Kroenke will argue that it's just not even close to what he wants, and all plans have been going forward assume it remains as is. I think it's smart for St. Louis to continue pressing forward, because if the Rams leave, that stadium is the best way to get a new team, but it definitely gets tricky.

I don't think they are opposite at all. First off people need to stop saying he is going to own the stadium because chances are he is not going to be the one who owns it on paper. 26 out of 32 owners do not own the stadium out right because of taxes and maintenance, I am sure there are other reasons as well, Jones doesn't own the AT&T stadium the city of Arlington does. The really detail here is the lease agreement which determines the split of the revenue. The Stadiums will both be state of the art and just because one has a retractable roof doesn't make it better. If Stan wants to pay to put a roof on this thing then he is more than welcome too. Other then the roof and the seat capacity there really isn't much of a difference that we know of outside of drawings. Those things can always be negotiated. I am not sure Kroenke can argue he doesn't wasn't the stadium because of A, B, or C if he doesn't negotiate. According to the bylaws he cannot move just to increase the value of his team. I understand that is also a clause that mentions the betterment of the league but tell me how abandoning on market while simultaneously hurting two other markets better the league?

I agree that it's not very fair for St Louis to go through this, when other cities like Oakland and San Diego aren't really working as hard as St Louis is, but I don't know how much that's going to sway other owners. Spanos and the San Diego mayor are sitting down for a meeting however. The reality is that Kroenke has a vision in another city (one in which the NFL has been trying to achieve for years), the means to accomplish that vision, and a way out of his current market, neither Davis or Spanos have that. If the NFL truly wants LA to be solved, then this is their best bet, and they may just let it happen regardless. If Spanos and AEG can come to a deal, then the NFL may allow that to happen, but I'm not sure that he wants to give up 40ish% of his team, and the NFL may not be to thrilled with the AEG plan anyway, there was rumors that they didn't like how Tim Leiweke was handling business, and he ended up losing his job at AEG. The councilmen down there have already passed motions to do regular upgrades on the convention center, and from my understanding they will need to go through some hoops again to get a greenlight to build, as it's been so long since the initial proposal was made. There was also issues with financing (which Kroenke doesn't have), but if they were able to figure that out, I would think that the best alternative for a football team in LA, which reports all say is one of the biggest goals for the NFL. As it stands right now there is very little in the way for the Kroenke plan, and a number of issues for the other plans that apparently concern the NFL. All of these stack the deck against St. Louis, which is very unfair. Unfortunately that's how these things go sometimes.

Most of the owners are old school and don't like the constant switching of markets which is why the bylaws, and the suggestion of congress, were put into place to help avoid an Al Davis like situation. The don't want lawsuits which is why if a team goes rogue they are subject to pretty big penalties that every own agreed to so I don't a lawsuit is going to circumvent the penalties. While I do think that you correct that Stan represents the most realistic chance to get back into the LA I don't agree that the NFL is in a rush to get back there. You're right the Spanos may not want to sell 40% of his team but at the same time his tune may have changed with current developements. If was also reported that AEG asking price may have come down. I wouldn't say the deck is stacked agains STL but the scale is tipping towards LA. However, with every box that STL checks off they are adding counter weight.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
No doubt in my mind that offer was intended to be rejected. It's like offering a guy with a 200,000 house 18,000 and then claiming he won’t work with you. Or a guy on unemployment who turns in awful applications designed to fulfill his quota but be unhirable at the same time.
Yep! And closing the dome meant lost revenue from other sources! Very one sided offer from Kroenke, for sure!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I haven't really read the 93 preceding pages, but after reading Sneads "Thumbs up to Kroenke" article today he mentions something like "even in St Louis where you are a lower revenue team" peaked my curiosity on what should be obvious, the overall value of the Team (moving from STL to LA) would spike incredibly, of course one has to assume that is the driving factor in the possible move.

Not trying to incite anything, hell I could be wrong assuming all that, I have no facts to back anything up, but the way it's shaping up to me is Kronk may have already made up his mind, one way or another and most of what going on now are nothing more than smokescreens.

On the other hand hasn't he been quoted in the past to the effect that I'm from Missouri, people here know that and believe me...strong words, if true then how could he move the Team away?

What the heck to make of all this???

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my unscientific guess...

If you lined up 100 people and showed them the two offers and what each contained, 80 of them would say the Rams offer was intended to be rejected.

It was pretty much reported that way when they came out with it (that the CVC could never do what the Rams were asking for)...

Pretty much a non-starter from the get-go.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

If you lined up 100 people and showed them the two offers and what each contained, 80 of them would say the Rams offer was intended to be rejected.

It was pretty much reported that way when they came out with it (that the CVC could never do what the Rams were asking for)...

I'd say about 90-95 percent if you removed the name of the team and where the cities are located.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

The effect it has on what we are talking about now is the fact that some here like to say that Stan negotiated in good faith when he went through arbitration with the CVC and that is not the case since they are a separate entity. THAT'S my point. Talking to the CVC (who manages the dome) about upgrading the EJD is completely different than the City of St. Louis putting a proposal together for a new stadium. Talking to the CVC only is not "exhausting all resources." I can't say for certain, but I'm sure the CVC will have nothing to do with the new stadium if/when it is constructed.

http://explorestlouis.com/st-louis-cvc/about-us/

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'd say about 90-95 percent if you removed the name of the team and where the cities are located.

Wasn't the arbitration process about the dome being in top tier status? Why in the world would the CVC agree to upgrade the dome for around 200 to 300 million less than it would cost to build a new one just for a 10 year lease extension? That's just not good business, and nobody here can say that it is. So Stan negotiated in good faith just by going through this process while ignoring the governor's phone calls? Yeah, ok....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Which is the reason the City of STL should have been more involved to begin with.
EVERYONE knew the offer wasn't going to be acceptable.
Stan has made it clear he's getting a new stadium, somewhere, and he's not going to wait for those trying to drag their feet.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree with you it will depend on what the other owners think but in my opinion one counter "my way or the highway" proposal not a negotiation make especially when the city has returned with a new stadium proposal in 18 mos. He is obligated to negotiate in go faith with the City regardless if the party is new individuals or not. I think this is where we are splitting hairs here because the arbitration process was with the CVC over the current lease in respect to the EJD not with the city to leave the current market.

I agree with that, one of my main points is that I believe the NFL will say he argued in good faith, because I believe they're likely to give him the go ahead. I've long believed that relying on owners to block a move is a foolish way to keep the team, efforts need to be to convince him.

I don't think they are opposite at all. First off people need to stop saying he is going to own the stadium because chances are he is not going to be the one who owns it on paper. 26 out of 32 owners do not own the stadium out right because of taxes and maintenance, I am sure there are other reasons as well, Jones doesn't own the AT&T stadium the city of Arlington does. The really detail here is the lease agreement which determines the split of the revenue. The Stadiums will both be state of the art and just because one has a retractable roof doesn't make it better. If Stan wants to pay to put a roof on this thing then he is more than welcome too. Other then the roof and the seat capacity there really isn't much of a difference that we know of outside of drawings. Those things can always be negotiated. I am not sure Kroenke can argue he doesn't wasn't the stadium because of A, B, or C if he doesn't negotiate. According to the bylaws he cannot move just to increase the value of his team. I understand that is also a clause that mentions the betterment of the league but tell me how abandoning on market while simultaneously hurting two other markets better the league?

I'm not sure how you can think the two stadiums aren't very different, because they are. As for ownership, that is what is being reported. Granted it is speculation, but its from people who do have sources, and are close to Kroenke, that is what is being said. So to dismiss it as if its just not going to happen, I doubt it. Maybe he won't own it all on paper for tax reasons, but he's sure as hell going to get revenue for other events that go on there, etc. Things he would not get in St Louis. That added with differences in seating, general appearance, parking, surrounding area, etc etc etc, it's all things that he can factor in to what he wants and doesn't want. If St Louis is only willing to go so far and build one type of stadium, then he doesn't have to say yes. If St Louis is willing to go further, that helps, but it seems a lot of the grumble is "take it or leave it"..

As for abandoning markets, the NFL has done that before. It's unlikely they would stay away from St Louis forever, unless they don't build the stadium, but Oakland and San Diego aren't being worse off because if LA. Neither team can afford to set things up in LA, and it allows them both to move to better markets if Kroenke is going to share a new stadium. That would be better for the league. Additionally, a few reports have said the NFL cares more about solving the LA problem than the St Louis problem. While harsh, if the reports are true, then that's just the reality of it.

Most of the owners are old school and don't like the constant switching of markets which is why the bylaws, and the suggestion of congress, were put into place to help avoid an Al Davis like situation. The don't want lawsuits which is why if a team goes rogue they are subject to pretty big penalties that every own agreed to so I don't a lawsuit is going to circumvent the penalties. While I do think that you correct that Stan represents the most realistic chance to get back into the LA I don't agree that the NFL is in a rush to get back there. You're right the Spanos may not want to sell 40% of his team but at the same time his tune may have changed with current developements. If was also reported that AEG asking price may have come down. I wouldn't say the deck is stacked agains STL but the scale is tipping towards LA. However, with every box that STL checks off they are adding counter weight.

A lot of the owners didn't want the Rams to leave LA in the first place. Its actually written in their constitution to get an NFC team to LA as soon as they can. When I read over the bylaws and constitution I, like others here who read them, saw nothing that protected the NFL from any lawsuits, or gave them any more real power to keep an owner from going rouge. They don't want lawsuits which is why I think they just give him the go ahead. If Kroenke starts building that stadium, and the land around it has and is being prepped (sewage, water, sidewalks, etc) with construction expected to begin this year, I don't see how the NFL can tell him he can't play there. I just don't see it. I don't see any additional protection. The NFL has said for years getting a team in LA was a huge priority, and many have said that within a few years they expect it done. That won't happen if they block a move. Plus the AEG model still has financing issues, and if Davis or Spanos can't pay a significant portion (which would be similar to what their current markets need for a new stadium) then it can't get done. Plus apparently the NFL didn't like the idea all that much.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
I'm not sure how you can think the two stadiums aren't very different, because they are. As for ownership, that is what is being reported. Granted it is speculation, but its from people who do have sources, and are close to Kroenke, that is what is being said. So to dismiss it as if its just not going to happen, I doubt it. Maybe he won't own it all on paper for tax reasons, but he's sure as hell going to get revenue for other events that go on there, etc. Things he would not get in St Louis. That added with differences in seating, general appearance, parking, surrounding area, etc etc etc, it's all things that he can factor in to what he wants and doesn't want. If St Louis is only willing to go so far and build one type of stadium, then he doesn't have to say yes. If St Louis is willing to go further, that helps, but it seems a lot of the grumble is "take it or leave it"..

As for abandoning markets, the NFL has done that before. It's unlikely they would stay away from St Louis forever, unless they don't build the stadium, but Oakland and San Diego aren't being worse off because if LA. Neither team can afford to set things up in LA, and it allows them both to move to better markets if Kroenke is going to share a new stadium. That would be better for the league. Additionally, a few reports have said the NFL cares more about solving the LA problem than the St Louis problem. While harsh, if the reports are true, then that's just the reality of it.

As with everything things evolve and just because they didn't in the past doesn't mean they want it to happen again especially when the NFL claims to already control the LA market. You are and I just going to disagree on the different stadiums because again we don't know the details of what a stadium is going to be like. There was a discussion about the evolution of stadium construction and how bigger is not better. In Europe they have adjust how they are building that stadiums to help increase the experience for fans which has equated to more lounges and party areas and less general seating. When the were designing the STL stadium that the approach they took because it is harder now then ever to get people off the couch and to the game. I don't know if they did that with the LA design. Until I see complete details I don't think they are that different.

A lot of the owners didn't want the Rams to leave LA in the first place. Its actually written in their constitution to get an NFC team to LA as soon as they can. When I read over the bylaws and constitution I, like others here who read them, saw nothing that protected the NFL from any lawsuits, or gave them any more real power to keep an owner from going rouge. They don't want lawsuits which is why I think they just give him the go ahead. If Kroenke starts building that stadium, and the land around it has and is being prepped (sewage, water, sidewalks, etc) with construction expected to begin this year, I don't see how the NFL can tell him he can't play there. I just don't see it. I don't see any additional protection. The NFL has said for years getting a team in LA was a huge priority, and many have said that within a few years they expect it done. That won't happen if they block a move. Plus the AEG model still has financing issues, and if Davis or Spanos can't pay a significant portion (which would be similar to what their current markets need for a new stadium) then it can't get done. Plus apparently the NFL didn't like the idea all that much.

Right now Stan's development is for the area around that stadium which he is going to make more money off then he will with the stadium. Stan and the other owners have agreed to the bylaws and the consequences of not following them. Just because Stan doesn't like the consequences doesn't mean he can sue and win. If he goes rogue, which we are told he will not, the NFL won't stop him but can penalize him. Amy Trask stated as much in her interview which includes the city not being eligible for NFL events such as the SuperBowl and that team forfeiting their piece of the TV money. I think you have to put faith that the league will do the right thing and follow their own rules. The city has mad the effort to build a new stadium and I don't see how the NFL can just turn their back on that. There is more at stake here then just one franchise. The reason the NFL is successful is because 32 entities are working together for the greater good. Do you put one team above the collective? I don't believe that having a team in LA is so much better for the league that you throw your rules out the window.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wasn't the arbitration process about the dome being in top tier status? Why in the world would the CVC agree to upgrade the dome for around 200 to 300 million less than it would cost to build a new one just for a 10 year lease extension? That's just not good business, and nobody here can say that it is. So Stan negotiated in good faith just by going through this process while ignoring the governor's phone calls? Yeah, ok....
If the reports that the Dome would be more profitable without the Rams is true, then it makes sense that it wasn't a realistic option from early on.
A new stadium site and proposal should have been in play long ago. If Peacock would have been involved 3 years ago, none of us would even be talking about this.
I do think it's still a possibility that a deal gets done with Kroenke. Even if it's not a high percentage.

Stan has quite a bit of money invested in Inglewood at the moment though.
I know many have said that it's just " pocket change" to a mogul like Kroenke, but I don't buy that.
You don't get to be as wealthy as Kroenke is by throwing your money away. His moves have generally been very calculated.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Deal for round-the-clock construction on new St. Louis football stadium could save $40 million

By David Hunn

In a deal cut with unions, construction crews could work 24 hours a day to build the proposed riverfront football stadium, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon announced on Thursday.

The deal could save $40 million.

The agreement calls for three eight-hour shifts, vastly reducing overtime costs while speeding up the construction timeline on the stadium, Nixon said in a press conference at the Carpenters Union hall on Hampton Avenue.

The original proposal, revealed in January, called for a 2020 stadium opening; NFL executives suggested in follow-up meetings that five years is too long.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_459efd23-4bbf-5761-974e-61298f63de05.html

Me: Nixon also mentioned if will save 44 weeks off the project timeline in his press conference

bluecoconuts

Legend
As with everything things evolve and just because they didn't in the past doesn't mean they want it to happen again especially when the NFL claims to already control the LA market. You are and I just going to disagree on the different stadiums because again we don't know the details of what a stadium is going to be like. There was a discussion about the evolution of stadium construction and how bigger is not better. In Europe they have adjust how they are building that stadiums to help increase the experience for fans which has equated to more lounges and party areas and less general seating. When the were designing the STL stadium that the approach they took because it is harder now then ever to get people off the couch and to the game. I don't know if they did that with the LA design. Until I see complete details I don't think they are that different.

We don't know details about the stadiums though, so when you compare what we do know, general appearance, seats, surrounding area, which is essentially all we have right now, there are a lot of differences. If they release details and they are more similar then that would be one thing, but for what we know right now, I don't see it. I'm not saying that bigger is better or anything like that, I'm saying that Kroenke wants to build a bigger stadium in LA. You would assume he would want a bigger one in St Louis as well if that was the case.

Right now Stan's development is for the area around that stadium which he is going to make more money off then he will with the stadium. Stan and the other owners have agreed to the bylaws and the consequences of not following them. Just because Stan doesn't like the consequences doesn't mean he can sue and win. If he goes rogue, which we are told he will not, the NFL won't stop him but can penalize him. Amy Trask stated as much in her interview which includes the city not being eligible for NFL events such as the SuperBowl and that team forfeiting their piece of the TV money. I think you have to put faith that the league will do the right thing and follow their own rules. The city has mad the effort to build a new stadium and I don't see how the NFL can just turn their back on that. There is more at stake here then just one franchise. The reason the NFL is successful is because 32 entities are working together for the greater good. Do you put one team above the collective? I don't believe that having a team in LA is so much better for the league that you throw your rules out the window.

People have only stated it is expected Stan will bring it up for a vote, not that he will accept the outcome if they say no. Again I looked over the bylaws, there are no significant differences now then there was then, that protects the NFL if an owner were to bring up a lawsuit against them. If he moves, they can hit him with strict penalties, but if he sues them and wins, then they'll need to repay anything, and he gets his way. There's nothing that protects them anymore than before as far as I can tell. I also doubt that the NFL would refuse to put a Super Bowl in LA to punish Kroenke.

Why would I put any faith in the NFL when they have shown time and time again they will ignore their own rules to do what they feel is best? If the Rams leave, they're not turning their backs on the city, there's a lot of people saying they could direct another team to St Louis. I'm not saying that having a team in LA is going to be a game changer, but what I'm saying is that all reports indicate they have wanted a team there for a long time, and this is the best chance they have at it. Therefore I don't expect them to block a vote for something they want, without a very real alternative on the table (which AEG is not at this point, and neither the Chargers or Raiders have the means to make one). If it's what they want, they're likely to let things slide, it's been their modus operandi for a long time now.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
People have only stated it is expected Stan will bring it up for a vote, not that he will accept the outcome if they say no. Again I looked over the bylaws, there are no significant differences now then there was then, that protects the NFL if an owner were to bring up a lawsuit against them. If he moves, they can hit him with strict penalties, but if he sues them and wins, then they'll need to repay anything, and he gets his way. There's nothing that protects them anymore than before as far as I can tell. I also doubt that the NFL would refuse to put a Super Bowl in LA to punish Kroenke.

This is what I can find on the Al Davis situation when the Raiders moved and subsequent changes to the bylaws, FWIW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THAT IS A RAIDER RULE

THE HOLY ROLLER

In September 1978, the Oakland Raiders traveled to San Diego’s Jack Murphy Stadium and the San Diego Chargers. The Raiders were on a drive with time running out. Ken Stabler dropped back to pass, with a throwing motion fumbled the ball forward, then pushed the ball to tight end Dave Casper. Casper in turn kicked the ball towards the end zone before recovering the ball. The officials looked at each other then signaled Raider touchdown and another Silver and Black victory.

During the winter league meetings in 1979 the administrators created a new rule. No offensive player can move the football forward after it is fumbled by another offensive player.

THIS IS A RAIDER RULE…..

OAKLAND AND THE NFL VS. LOS ANGELES AND AL DAVIS

This was a battle for eminent domain and the owner Al Davis seemed to have the upper hand.
In the 1982-83 season The Oakland Raiders packed their bags and headed south to the Hollywood City of Los Angeles. The NFL, Al Davis, the City of Oakland, and the Raiders were in a nasty legal battle. The league did not want the Raiders moving anywhere and Mr. Davis saw an opportunity to make money and challenge the National Football League anti-trust law.

The NFL and City of Oakland could not stop Al Davis as they lost the antitrust and bad faith violations suit. “A United States Federal District Court Jury ruling that the NFL bylaw, stating that a franchise could not move unless 21 of the 28 owners gave their approval, was a violation of Federal Antitrust Law.
This Federal court ruling voided the NFL bylaw and allowed the Oakland Raiders to become the Los Angeles Raiders”, This opened the door for other teams to move to the city of their choice by their respective owners.
A year later the Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night with owner Bob Irsay. They became the Indianapolis Colts. Three years later the Saint Louis Cardinals moved to Tempe Arizona and became the Phoenix Cardinals. This team would finally become the Arizona Cardinals.

The last franchise to move was in the early 90′s. The Houston Oilers wanted out of the 35 year old Astro Dome and moved to Tennessee to become the Titans.

The NFL panicked and feared other teams would follow the Oakland Raiders. The league changed the bylaws that prohibited teams from moving without consent of the majority to minority. No team has challenged this new rule.

http://blackathlete.net/2012/07/the-nfl-raider-rules/

Status
Not open for further replies.