New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I could easily envision a settlement with the city of St.Louis that gives us an expansion team or allows the Rams to move but change the names (a'la Browns - Ravens type of scenario)... Either way, St.Louis remains an NFL City.. I can't see the NFL not wanting to capitalize on a city building a 2nd stadium within 25 years. Particularly when out of the 3 cities, St.Louis looks the most likely to have a plan that an owner will like

I could get behind David Carr, Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, Latavius Murray. They could all play for the new St. Louis Archers coached by Jack Del Rio. Please leave the Raiders name in Oakland.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
That's an interesting blanket statement that doesn't match my experience. I spent years traveling to San Antonio for work and just about everyone I knew was a Texans fan and also wanted a franchise in San Antonio.
So have I lived in Texas for 7 years and had a Suite for the Texans. I spent every week on the road in Texas and was in San Antonio all through football season. The Texans have no support outside of Houston and the rest of the state supports the Cowboys

iced

Watch the press conference. "The NFL relocation policies have been in place for decades and were modified in the 80's" quote from Goodell.

we know they were modified in the early 2000's as a result of the chaos from the 90's... hell the least revision of the bylaws was in '06...

Assuming the laws are the same today as they were years ago would be a mistake, imo.

V3

Hall of Fame
I could get behind David Carr, Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, Latavius Murray. They could all play for the new St. Louis Archers coached by Jack Del Rio. Please leave the Raiders name in Oakland.
I actually like the direction the Raiders are going. I just don't want their name. I've just always disliked them and their fans. Not sure about their owner, either.

BTW, the name Archers is one of the better suggestions I've heard.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
we know they were modified in the early 2000's as a result of the chaos from the 90's... hell the least revision of the bylaws was in '06...

Assuming the laws are the same today as they were years ago would be a mistake, imo.

The NFL added some steps for home market notification but that's pretty much it. I have posted them on here multiple times. The NFL only has relocation policies not bylaws. Yes, the NFL Constitution and Bylaws have changed but most of the resolutions have been released. None of them are in regards to team relocations. Goodell wouldn't call them policies if they were part of the bylaws.

Tradmarks are owned by the owner not the league. Congress wanted to add a restriction to the Fans Rights bill but they couldn't because of 200 years of trademark laws and precedents.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I actually like the direction the Raiders are going. I just don't want their name. I've just always disliked them and their fans. Not sure about their owner, either.

BTW, the name Archers is one of the better suggestions I've heard.
They would instantly become my second favorite team. And I'll probably root for them the first time they play LA(I almost threw up typing that, gunna take some getting used to).

RamzFanz

Damnit
So have I lived in Texas for 7 years and had a Suite for the Texans. I spent every week on the road in Texas and was in San Antonio all through football season. The Texans have no support outside of Houston and the rest of the state supports the Cowboys

I spent about a year total in San Antonio over the span of several years and all of the people I knew would gather and watch the Texans and Astros.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Texans-winning-over-S-A-fans-2515577.php

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I came across that name while looking up St. Louis logos. It's a fan made concept for a hockey team, but looks like a good NFL name to me.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/65795-stlouis-archers/
Yeah, but this is so much better.

latest

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I spent about a year total in San Antonio over the span of several years and all of the people I knew would gather and watch the Texans and Astros.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Texans-winning-over-S-A-fans-2515577.php

That's the same as the KC Chiefs bar in Philadelphia or the bars in Houston and Dallas that have groups that support the Saints. There always will be pockets of people in all markets that relocate and support their teams.

The Astros and Rangers dynamic is completely different.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's the same as the KC Chiefs bar in Philadelphia or the bars in Houston and Dallas that have groups that support the Saints. There always will be pockets of people in all markets that relocate and support their teams.

I'm not talking about bars, I'm talking about large football day gatherings by locals at a private ranch.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/San-Antonio-decides-between-Texans-Cowboys-5794174.php

In this pole, the majority wanted their own team as in the Raiders to move their, 106 voted Cowboys, 83 voted Texans.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is a fox rating from 2011 when they switched from an overtime Texans to a Dallas game and pissed of the Texan fan base in the areas:

Texans rating in Austin was a 12.1, while the Cowboy rating was a 21.7. In San Antonio, the Texans posted a 14.8, while the Cowboys did a 27.9.”

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea, I just can't trust anything that says "virtual lock" because we haven't reached the end of this yet.
It was "Bleacher Report" that did it for me.

there also weren't relocation rues then either
Didn't that ship sail several hundred pages ago. There were and they remain pretty much the same as they were then. Sorry Iced but they definitely were in place.

If you are referring to Amy Trask's interview and that Marc Ganis guy, Goodhell pretty well dispelled that notion last week. If you can show me where those changes are - specifically - I might buy in but no one has shown these changes and Goodhell's statement really seems to put that thought to rest.

The relocation rules are the same as they were when the Rams left LA. Personally, I think the big difference is that Stan may be less likely to sue than was Shaw (attorney) and Georgia. Georgia needed that money and sweet deal St Louis was offering. Stan does not and Peacock even alluded to the notion that Stan is working to make sure his bases are covered as St Louis hasn't completed their task.

If St Louis completes their task, the Rams IMO will likely be the St Louis Rams well into the future. There will be some kind of negotiated lease for the new Riverfront Stadium and both parties win.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What are your guys' thoughts on Demoff attending this and being part of the presentation? I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I always kind of thought of him as being on 'our' side... meaning the STL Rams fans... but obviously he's part of the Rams executive committee and going to do what Stan wants him to do. I've just been at several functions where he was talking about stadium plans and what kind (dome / open air) and where (city / county) - and now it seems like that wasn't even part of the plan at all. I think Kevin's a good guy and is put in a bad situation because Stan won't talk. Just bothers me and I don't know why.

I like Demoff, but keep in mind, he's an LA native who has experience marketing football in LA, it's how he got started. I have no doubt he has love for St Louis and would be happy to stay there with the Rams in a brand new stadium, but I also have no doubt he has love for LA and would love to be back in his home city working as well. Honestly, and again keep in mind I really like him, if Stan said "what do you think we should do?" I think he would pick LA.

I think they view Spanos more favorably. After all he didn't cause this mess. I don't think it'll be a risk at all for Carson to win out. There's really little way you can lose money in the NFL.

We still disagree on how much the Chargers will lose if they move. I don't think traffic jams will be taken into account. I don't think the NFL "knows better" at all. I think they'll look at actual distance moved and conclude that it'll be far more traumatic for the St Louis market's team to move halfway across the country vs SD's moving around 200 miles. We won't ever agree on that.

In a way he did cause this mess, depending on how you look at it. His hesitation and general dicking around has made it a lot harder for the NFL, and he and Kroenke would already be partners in Inglewood (according to a report a while back) if not for whatever happened (I believe there were suggestions that he was hesitant again).. Make no mistake, the NFL wants LA back, and regardless of the teams that end up there it was Kroenke finally saying "Shit or get off the pot" and starting things up. It might be a mess, but it's a mess that the NFL wanted (in some respect) and it's the Carson project that has made it worse, not Kroenke or Inglewood.

I don't think the NFL is short sighted enough to just look at distances and take nothing else into consideration. I also don't think they will ultimately give two shits about how traumatic

not sure how influential - wasn't enough for him and snyder to get out of their salary dumping scandal...and also Rooney didn't exactly agree with Jerry Jones's earlier comments on LA..And I would think Rooney is held in a much higher regard than Jerry.

Rooney is on the committee, of course he said that... Jerry has taken on the NFL and won on a much bigger issue than the salary dumping... And he has grown a lot bigger because of it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'm not talking about bars, I'm talking about large football day gatherings by locals at a private ranch.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/San-Antonio-decides-between-Texans-Cowboys-5794174.php

In this pole, the majority wanted their own team as in the Raiders to move their, 106 voted Cowboys, 83 voted Texans.

This is a fox rating from 2011 when they switched from an overtime Texans to a Dallas game and pissed of the Texan fan base in the areas:

Texans rating in Austin was a 12.1, while the Cowboy rating was a 21.7. In San Antonio, the Texans posted a 14.8, while the Cowboys did a 27.9.”
Maybe I'm nit picking as almost every argument in this thread is fairly fruitless but this one can't get much more anecdotal - can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.