New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have to agree that what the CVC and Kroenke did in arbitration was nothing more than angling. And I also agree that the true way to keep the Rams is to pull a NY and offer Stan the land so he can build his own project. I still think he would love to build and own a stadium in the shadow of the Arch that he grew up with and for which no doubt has the warm and fuzzies.

Oh to be a fly on the wall to witness what is actually going on behind closed doors.

I've been on the record many times that SK will build in STL.

Now he knows where they want a stadium, and that the land can be acquired. He'll get the land on a "grant" and build the stadium himself and get tons of tax breaks.

I'm even willing to wager that it plays out just like that. I agree with you that he would like to have a stadium right at the arch.

nighttrain

Legend
As i've stated before, no dog in this fight. but SK is building a stadium in Los Angeles as I type, say Los Angeles Rams.
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As i've stated before, no dog in this fight. but SK is building a stadium in Los Angeles as I type, say Los Angeles Rams.
train
Until they announce that, I'm not buying it. Seen too many teams supposedly moving to LA only to have it turn out to be a leverage ploy. Stan hasn't started construction on the stadium so nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin' and you gotta have somethin'......

dhaab

Rookie
I didn't think it would happen, but after watching Oliver's piece last night, I have made my peace with losing the Rams.

Really? So you watched a comedy bit on HBO about major sports owners using public money to build new stadiums and THAT is what convinced you that the Rams are going to LA?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I thought there was a law in Missouri saying they can't take land and then give it away for private ownership or something similar. Meaning they wouldn't be able to just give Kroenke the land to build on the riverfront area. Of course I'm sure they'll find loopholes, but I don't think it'll be as simple as that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought there was a law in Missouri saying they can't take land and then give it away for private ownership or something similar. Meaning they wouldn't be able to just give Kroenke the land to build on the riverfront area. Of course I'm sure they'll find loopholes, but I don't think it'll be as simple as that.
You mean like the ordinance in St Louis that says the voters will have a say in tax money spent on stadiums? Still - even if there is such a law, I have to wonder if it has any kind of provision that governs how much the land could be sold for - especially if the city buys it and condemns it subject to demolition and construction. It may be how they go about affording to buy it in the first place though that may be political poison for them.

So then land along the mighty Mississippi under the great Arch for a pittance plus tax offsets and all revenue streams going to Stan. Stan gets to build a stadium sufficient to house a SB complete with retractable roof, and maybe a parking structure that allows for more parking on a smaller footprint while providing a large tailgate area/outdoor amphitheater. The city/state no longer has to extend the bonds that wouldn't be paid for by the existence of the Rams (allegedly) and still has the dome and convention center to house events.

Looks like everyone would win in that situation. Well - aside from LA Rams fans but if they are still here then they are used to the Rams not playing in LA anyway. I think not moving is easier on LA fans than moving would be on fans in the Lou so I tend to feel more of their pain than that of LA fans even though I grew up with the LA Rams and remember quite vividly how I felt about them leaving my birth land in LA.

beej

Rookie
Personally nothing about this situation would make me happier than Stan owning a stadium in St Louis. Virtually every concern I have would be fixed with that deal.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
You mean like the ordinance in St Louis that says the voters will have a say in tax money spent on stadiums? Still - even if there is such a law, I have to wonder if it has any kind of provision that governs how much the land could be sold for - especially if the city buys it and condemns it subject to demolition and construction. It may be how they go about affording to buy it in the first place though that may be political poison for them.

So then land along the mighty Mississippi under the great Arch for a pittance plus tax offsets and all revenue streams going to Stan. Stan gets to build a stadium sufficient to house a SB complete with retractable roof, and maybe a parking structure that allows for more parking on a smaller footprint while providing a large tailgate area/outdoor amphitheater. The city/state no longer has to extend the bonds that wouldn't be paid for by the existence of the Rams (allegedly) and still has the dome and convention center to house events.

Looks like everyone would win in that situation. Well - aside from LA Rams fans but if they are still here then they are used to the Rams not playing in LA anyway. I think not moving is easier on LA fans than moving would be on fans in the Lou so I tend to feel more of their pain than that of LA fans even though I grew up with the LA Rams and remember quite vividly how I felt about them leaving my birth land in LA.

They would still need to extend the bonds. The deal right now has Kroenke and the NFL paying for the stadium($ 600 million) and the RSA buying and preparing the land ($ 385 million). The structure is there and all they would have to do is give him control of the stadium and the revenue streams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They would still need to extend the bonds. The deal right now has Kroenke and the NFL paying for the stadium($ 600 million) and the RSA buying and preparing the land ($ 385 million). The structure is there and all they would have to do is give him control of the stadium and the revenue streams.
Right - but that would go toward finishing off the payments and maintaining the dome - no? The other, I believe would not require a public vote if it could be couched as obtaining the land for the public good even if it meant them turning around and "selling" it to Kroenke for a new stadium. The land prep would then fall to Stan and it would be a matter of the cost of the land and subsequent tax breaks that wouldn't be realized without a stadium anyway. The city/state would then need to be sure that there would be no environmental hurdles to jump - ala Inglewood's and Carson's council vote.

That would put Stan as getting $250 million from the NFL with $50 million of that as a long term loan and $200 forgiven. Let's say that Stan then builds a stadium costing $1.5 billion. That ends up being over a half billion less to build than the LA stadium and he doesn't pay the likely half billion in relocation fees.

In the end, Stan gets a great deal, becomes a Missouri God, St Louis has an even better stadium than what is proposed, the city locks up the Rams for the foreseeable future and gets rid of the temporary team cloud, the organization is able to concentrate solely on winning football games, AND BERNIE LOOKS LIKE THE ABSOLUTE FOOL THAT HE IS. Sounds beautiful.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right - but that would go toward finishing off the payments and maintaining the dome - no? The other, I believe would not require a public vote if it could be couched as obtaining the land for the public good even if it meant them turning around and "selling" it to Kroenke for a new stadium. The land prep would then fall to Stan and it would be a matter of the cost of the land and subsequent tax breaks that wouldn't be realized without a stadium anyway. The city/state would then need to be sure that there would be no environmental hurdles to jump - ala Inglewood's and Carson's council vote.

That would put Stan as getting $250 million from the NFL with $50 million of that as a long term loan and $200 forgiven. Let's say that Stan then builds a stadium costing $1.5 billion. That ends up being over a half billion less to build than the LA stadium and he doesn't pay the likely half billion in relocation fees.

In the end, Stan gets a great deal, becomes a Missouri God, St Louis has an even better stadium than what is proposed, the city locks up the Rams for the foreseeable future and gets rid of the temporary team cloud, the organization is able to concentrate solely on winning football games, AND BERNIE LOOKS LIKE THE ABSOLUTE FOOL THAT HE IS. Sounds beautiful.
And everyone lives happily ever after... (I think I'm gonna rain).

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Either way, Rams are getting a new outdoor stadium.
The only reason I'd like them to move to LA, (other than I grew up with them), is that I'd get 11 - 2:00 pm games, guaranteed.
Every game this year, other than away division games and Thursday, is at 10:00 am.
I also think travelling to division games would have less impact.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I just HATE having to start drinking beer at 10 am. :shades:

Spike14

UDFA
Name
Spike14
Well belated welcome aboard.

BTW in case you didn't see it, several of us are going to converge on the Lou for the season opener and a memorial for one of our fallen members.

Check out the events thread on it if you think you might want to join us.
Will do! Appreciate that invite 503!

Spike14

UDFA
Name
Spike14
I didn't think it would happen, but after watching Oliver's piece last night, I have made my peace with losing the Rams. If there is a public vote, I am voting no.

St. Louis deserves so much better than Stan Kroenke. If he can build it all himself in LA, let him. The city of Los Angeles deserves better than to sell it's fiscal soul to the devil also. I highly doubt Kroenke wouldn't be enjoying all kinds of tax breaks and the like, but whatever. He will be Inglewood's problem soon enough.

I guess I am the worst kind of fan, because losing the Rams means ending my relationship with this team and the league. Mizzou joining the SEC might be the best thing to happen to us from a professional football standpoint.

Peacock and Blitz's efforts are going to fall on deaf ears, or we are going to have to put up with the NFL equivalent of table scraps that is the Raiders. Either way, St. Louis deserves better than third place. We are a proud sports town with proud fans, but our city has other needs. The entertainment tax should be used to pay off the dome bonds, and then be done with it. Focus these efforts to make the North Riverfront beautiful and attract more young people to the urban core to rehabilitate the city. Elect public officials who will create a business friendly culture.

Man, this sucks. It feels like a break up, but its better to do it now than to wait before she starts seeing someone else. I am a football fan and an NFL fan, but I am a St. Louisan first. St. Louis deserves better.

I hear ya man! But, the SEC doesn't hold a candle to the NFL when it comes to the caliber of play on the field. Fun, exciting, and competitive? Yes, especially since Mizzou has improved. But, the NFL talent is just superior.

Spike14

UDFA
Name
Spike14
Sorry you feel that way Irish. Just because the Rams move out of town doesn't mean you have to stop being a Ram Fan. It doesn't matter to me where they play, they priced me out of going to a live game a long time ago. 20$ for parking, walking a half mile to my nosebleed seat (100+$), 12$ beers, 10$ hot dog. waiting in line to take a leak and then have to stand in vomit or a puddle of pee pee. missing a whole qtr by the time I get back to my seat. Beer spilled down my back, drunks fighting in the isles. Its all irrelevant to where they play, I'll watch my Rams from the comfort of my Barco-Lounger and 64" HD tv, sipping Grolsch and Bar-B-Q'ing rib-eyes on the grill, and keep my 300$ in my pocket.
Unless I get invited to one of those catered corporate luxery boxes, I have a better game experience at home. I'll watch Stan's (my) Rams, but he ain't getting a dime from me.
I think 50% of the nation is on board with your scenario. It's a huge dilemma for the NFL moving forward. The view of the games in my living room is pretty damn good on a Sunday afternoon. Still, my own preference is to physically attend whenever possible. I like the energy and atmosphere. Thus far, I've dodged the piss puddles. I live near a metro station. From my front door to the EJD is ~ 30 minutes of easy travel. No parking hassles or DUI concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.