New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMotes

Starter
Inglewood was has been harder to purchase where as Carson has been on the market almost every year and the purchase price was a lot lower

In fact, if i have it right, the contaminated 157 acres were bought for about $1 and put in a holding company so the Chargers and Raiders don't have to assume any liability for the former landfill...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the link. No offense to you (if you live in the area or know people who do) but I don't make it a habit to take anyone's word for it on damn near anything. Our society lost my trust decades ago and I am 100% skeptical of almost everything that I can't independently confirm. Drives my wife nuts!

The other thing about people who live in any area for a long time is they are subjected to "group think" where an idea takes hold and gains its own life like a game of "telephone" until the consensus opinion is far from reality. But thanks again for the link!
Did you read his posts on RRF?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This post was LesBaker off the Herd that has more understanding about construction....

Building on a dump is a massive mistake and will be a breeding ground for lawsuits.

Back home in Cleveland a shopping plaza was built on a dump. Even with the tons of money spent to supposedly get rid of the gas employees got sick/nauseous lots of times and missed work, EPA difficulties made it worse for the owners than they ever imagined. It got to the point where the stores there couldn't get customers to come to the plaza, even with a Wal-Mart and a large grocery store because of the reputation. It's now empty.

There is NO WAY the NFL puts a team on a garbage dump. They may threaten that they will but it'll never happen.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think they will build on Carson if they really want, but it might bring more complications, especially if things leak, then they could have issues drawing fans. The location already probably hurts more, because its further away and not the best place to be really.

I think they'd probably rather Inglewood at face value, taking teams and stadiums out of it, but if they would rather the Chargers/Raiders, for whatever reason, they are probably comfortable with Carson.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This post was LesBaker off the Herd that has more understanding about construction....

Building on a dump is a massive mistake and will be a breeding ground for lawsuits.

Back home in Cleveland a shopping plaza was built on a dump. Even with the tons of money spent to supposedly get rid of the gas employees got sick/nauseous lots of times and missed work, EPA difficulties made it worse for the owners than they ever imagined. It got to the point where the stores there couldn't get customers to come to the plaza, even with a Wal-Mart and a large grocery store because of the reputation. It's now empty.

There is NO WAY the NFL puts a team on a garbage dump. They may threaten that they will but it'll never happen.

If there's no way than why are they talking about it? Why is Goldman Sachs involved? If it's common knowledge that the NFL won't build there, then it doesn't even work as a bluff. There's no threat if there's NO WAY.
I'm not saying that it's not a mistake, doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, but I do think they're as serious about Carson as they are Inglewood.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fact, if i have it right, the contaminated 157 acres were bought for about $1 and put in a holding company so the Chargers and Raiders don't have to assume any liability for the former landfill...

That is correct. If a stadium isn't built no harm no foul. If a stadium can be built they have to purchase the land.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

At least if they do calling the place a dump wouldn't be a stretch.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
If there's no way than why are they talking about it? Why is Goldman Sachs involved? If it's common knowledge that the NFL won't build there, then it doesn't even work as a bluff. There's no threat if there's NO WAY.
I'm not saying that it's not a mistake, doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, but I do think they're as serious about Carson as they are Inglewood.

Goldman is involved because they're getting paid for the advisory services that they provide.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I don't Carson was the site back when the NFL choose Houston over Los Angeles because of that very fact and Robert McNair, but IMO, Carson is leverage and again JMO, they will never break ground!

My feeling all along has been the Riverfront Project in St. Louis because IMO, that has a much better chance and with the Arch in some of the drawings would be something the NFL would embrace just like Inglewood.

MrMotes

Starter
Goldman is involved because they're getting paid for the advisory services that they provide.

And the Spanos family has a long relationship with GS. Everyone is talking about spending money on Carson but so far very little has actually been spent...

bluecoconuts

Legend

I do know that San Diego said they were more worried about Inglewood than Carson, but I don't know if that changed.

iced

It is what it is - people trying to rationalize it as if its not some possibility.

As a former Seabee (military construction forces), one of the bases I stayed on and helped build up was a German base. In that area of the world and particularly Afghan, Sand flea's carry a disease called leishmaniasis (google at your own peril; some pics you need a strong stomach for). Sand flea's hover 5 ft above the ground and build homes/burrow in the dirt. After 100 german soldiers died within a year from the disease, they dug out the entire area by I think 30 meters. The entire area of the base was 15 meters below sea level after that, and they did it in under a year (northern afghan, mountainous area). (the sand fleas at this point were mainly threats to animals; count tell you how many dogs i saw with it...american's often referred to it as "afghan herpes")

Yes I understand its not a direct comparison - but the idea that the site can't be dug and cleaned up let in a timely manner to me is ridiculous.

And if people are worried about time - it's not like the NFL is going to die with a project taking a year longer to complete, especially if the option is more friendly to other owners (particularly spanos/davis) and brings in more revenue. Then again I am the one of the few people who thinks the other owners, particularly Spanos, is going to want to move in with Kroenke (and you don't go off posturing "I got the votes to block you" then believe he's going to do a 180 and take a lesser deal)

/end rant

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
It is what it is - people trying to rationalize it as if its not some possibility.

As a former Seabee (military construction forces), one of the bases I stayed on and helped build up was a German base. In that area of the world and particularly Afghan, Sand flea's carry a disease called leishmaniasis (google at your own peril; some pics you need a strong stomach for). Sand flea's hover 5 ft above the ground and build homes/burrow in the dirt. After 100 german soldiers died within a year from the disease, they dug out the entire area by I think 30 meters. The entire area of the base was 15 meters below sea level after that, and they did it in under a year (northern afghan, mountainous area). (the sand fleas at this point were mainly threats to animals; count tell you how many dogs i saw with it...american's often referred to it as "afghan herpes")

Yes I understand its not a direct comparison - but the idea that the site can't be dug and cleaned up let in a timely manner to me is ridiculous.

And if people are worried about time - it's not like the NFL is going to die with a project taking a year longer to complete, especially if the option is more friendly to other owners (particularly spanos/davis) and brings in more revenue. Then again I am the one of the few people who thinks the other owners, particularly Spanos, is going to want to move in with Kroenke (and you don't go off posturing "I got the votes to block you" then believe he's going to do a 180 and take a lesser deal)

/end rant

The land was a potential super fund site. If the clean up was easy it would have already been developed. It's one of the largest open parcels in LA County but noting is there. Every project has been abandoned even a Porsche test track. The NFL might wait another 18 months but what if it's 3 years then they won't. Everything needs to go perfectly for the construction to begin at the end of 2017.

It's also been said Kroenke has the votes to block Spanos so they will have to work together if either one wants to go to LA.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Then again I am the one of the few people who thinks the other owners, particularly Spanos, is going to want to move in with Kroenke (and you don't go off posturing "I got the votes to block you" then believe he's going to do a 180 and take a lesser deal)

I think that's looking at it from the wrong angle.

It's not going to be "Either take a lesser cut of the pie in Inglewood or a larger cut of the pie in Carson"

If the NFL wants Inglewood, it's going to be "We're going with Inglewood, so either take a less of a cut of the pie there, or make it work in San Diego."

Inglewood or nothing, not Inglewood or Carson.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So can we agree the Carson train continues to pick up serious steam with OAK and SD's "talks" resembling last gasps? I've been calling this for a while, now.

SD wants talks to extend to 2016, despite the several warnings from the league on how delicate they have made it.

There is really little debate to BR had. Carson keeps on chugging and STL is still looking good on coming up with their share of the financing.

One of the main questions that remain is what will Stan do? So nothing new there lol. Amazing nobody knows even now, maybe not even Stan.

It's getting down to crunch time with OAK and SD all but folding. But I don't expect Stan to make noise until mid-fall or later.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think that's looking at it from the wrong angle.

It's not going to be "Either take a lesser cut of the pie in Inglewood or a larger cut of the pie in Carson"

If the NFL wants Inglewood, it's going to be "We're going with Inglewood, so either take a less of a cut of the pie there, or make it work in San Diego."

Inglewood or nothing, not Inglewood or Carson.

"Inglewood or nothing"

:cautious:

Goodness, friend, please take a look at what's happening. To deny Carson to this degree at this stage is a very cynical point of view.

Big news coming out of Carson June 22 added with the flopping of OAK and SD talks has only upped its potential. This is being conservative.

It's rather baffling you are blue knuckling that opinion with what's been coming out.

Spanos and Davis are paired and neither have expressed interest with Stan or Inglewood. What more do you want, friend? All I know is how bad you want the Rams in LA. Everything else doesn't make as much sense as that.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
So can we agree the Carson train continues to pick up serious steam with OAK and SD's "talks" resembling last gasps? I've been calling this for a while, now.

SD wants talks to extend to 2016, despite the several warnings from the league on how delicate they have made it.

There is really little debate to BR had. Carson keeps on chugging and STL is still looking good on coming up with their share of the financing.

One of the main questions that remain is what will Stan do? So nothing new there lol. Amazing nobody knows even now, maybe not even Stan.

It's getting down to crunch time with OAK and SD all but folding. But I don't expect Stan to make noise until mid-fall or later.

Nothing has changed on Carson so can't say anything about picking up steam and the financing in St Louis is no further ahead than it was a month. At this point who knows on Oakland and San Diego is a mess it just depends on who the NFL blames for the situation.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Nothing has changed on Carson so can't say anything about picking up steam and the financing in St Louis is no further ahead than it was a month. At this point who knows on Oakland and San Diego is a mess it just depends on who the NFL blames for the situation.

LA enthusiasts claim Inglewood has been quiet because it is ready. Can't we not say the same about STL's financing. Nixon has said it will be ready. So the only thing truly new on the matter is it not being ready. Nothing has pointed to hindering STL's public financing other than some rather weak lawsuits that Nixon has all but shot down. For example, one wants to determine if the stadium is "adjacent" to the CVC. Their case is its across the street (HA!). I mean come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.