New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, but there's two sides of the story.
Yes.... yes, there is.

Just wanted to balance things out a tad...

* One side came in with an estimate that they were pretty certain they could execute on.

* One side came in with an estimate that was significantly above the other side, so they were pretty certain it could not be executed.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
It's a give and take so the lease probably would have been reworked. Plus with G4 the team wouldn't have the option to walk in 10 years. There a number of ways they could have worked the revenue streams to satisfy the NFL for the owners portion of the loan
As many who argue that the G4 basically falls on Kroenke to pay back, was it an absolute that he was willing to do that? Can't go off of probables.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Being known as the city that makes outlandish promises and then not honor them can't help in attempting to attract those multiple tenants.

Making statements like this isn't going to get you far in this thread. You can do what you like, I'm just warning you.

Now, tell me what outlandish promise Stl has made?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Making statements like this isn't going to get you far in this thread. You can do what you like, I'm just warning you.

I don't know about any outlandish promises, but I've yet to see anybody say that original lease agreement wasn't bad for the city or its people. The only one that benefited from it was Georgia, and possibly Stan as the move allowed him to get his foot in the ownership door.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

He's referring to the terms and clauses of the lease. Its a lost cause. We know that these clauses are used everyday in business in order to protect the interests and financials of both parties, but some feel that we trashed the lease...

Like I said, lost cause.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He's referring to the terms and clauses of the lease. Its a lost cause. We know that these clauses are used everyday in business in order to protect the interests and financials of both parties, but some feel that we trashed the lease...

Like I said, lost cause.

It was short sighted for sure, but the city trashing the lease would lead to court battles. I've yet to see one, unless you count arbitration.

Moostache

Rookie
My problem with Carson is the environmental mess it's sitting on. I believe that is MUCH larger than anyone is letting on... and, ultimately, it will kill that deal. Just a hunch.

I'm quoting the Rmfnlt post here, but really I have seen this same sentiment several times, and I am asking this question to anyone who believes the assertion that Carson is an environmental nightmare...what is this "hunch" (or "feeling" or "I heard..") based on?

Is there real, actual non-biased or 3rd party data that shows this?
Or is it just projection from folks who want to see Carson go away to clear the way for a potential Rams return to LA or force the Chargers to stay in San Diego?
I get the feeling that the later is true, but can anyone provide a link or neutral evidence of the former?

The things I have seen in the wider media (ie. - outside of the LA/StL/SD/Oak relocation bubbles) all seem to indicate that the NFL has approved of the Cason site (not necessarily the project as a whole yet) as a viable stadium site.

If the NFL approved the site, who is lying or misinformed?

The league?
That seems unlikely since they would have commissioned a study of the site before making a public statement or allowing public statements of the site viability to go unchallenged.
I know the NFL has a propensity for shooting itself in the foot lately, but that seems to be a pretty big gaffe if the Carson site is really a toxic waste dump!

People saying Carson is something akin to a California Fukushima?
It just seems very weird to have such diametrically opposite viewpoints come up over and over...either Carson is a viable site or it is not.
It can't be both things simultaneously...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm quoting the Rmfnlt post here, but really I have seen this same sentiment several times, and I am asking this question to anyone who believes the assertion that Carson is an environmental nightmare...what is this "hunch" (or "feeling" or "I heard..") based on?

Or is it just projection from folks who want to see Carson go away to clear the way for a potential Rams return to LA or force the Chargers to stay in San Diego?
I get the feeling that the later is true, but can anyone provide a link or neutral evidence of the former?

The things I have seen in the wider media (ie. - outside of the LA/StL/SD/Oak relocation bubbles) all seem to indicate that the NFL has approved of the Cason site (not necessarily the project as a whole yet) as a viable stadium site.

The league?
That seems unlikely since they would have commissioned a study of the site before making a public statement or allowing public statements of the site viability to go unchallenged.
I know the NFL has a propensity for shooting itself in the foot lately, but that seems to be a pretty big gaffe if the Carson site is really a toxic waste dump!

It just seems very weird to have such diametrically opposite viewpoints come up over and over...either Carson is a viable site or it is not.

The only bad thing I've heard is that it'll take 6 months to cap the site ONCE they find out what the development is going to be. Capping the site is bringing in fresh dirt, AFAIK.

MrMotes

Starter
Yes.... yes, there is.

Just wanted to balance things out a tad...

* One side came in with an estimate that they were pretty certain they could execute on.

* One side came in with an estimate that was significantly above the other side, so they were pretty certain it could not be executed.

But the fact remains the CVC committed to the dome being a top tier stadium and failed to live up to that commitment. The Riverfront stadium will make no such commitment. The Rams didn't pay for the construction of the dome but are expected to pay for a substantial amount of the new stadium.

None of that is necessarily unfair or unreasonable but the question remains: How does the NFL feel about a city not living up to the terms of an existing lucrative contract, exiting it early and trying to replace it with a less lucrative one?

It's been raised by a few people and i think it's a legitimate question.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What's been discouraged is the use of absolutes. Such as saying the stadium in Inglewood WILL be the stadium in LA. Fact is you don't know that anymore than anyone else. Every argument that has happened in the 400+ pages here has started that way. Every time RamFan503 has to threaten to pull the car over it's been the cause.

And no, your speculation is no less valid than anyone else's, and I don't think anyone's upset.
Very well said. And @WillasDad - this pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Speculation? No problem. Stating that speculation as fact... problem.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
But the fact remains the CVC committed to the dome being a top tier stadium and failed to live up to that commitment. The Riverfront stadium will make no such commitment. The Rams didn't pay for the construction of the dome but are expected to pay for a substantial amount of the new stadium.

None of that is necessarily unfair or unreasonable but the question remains: How does the NFL feel about a city not living up to the terms of an existing lucrative contract, exiting it early and trying to replace it with a less lucrative one?

No, the CVC did not commit to the dome being top tier. I don't get how some you people don't understand this. It was simply a clause stating that if the dome wasn't in the top tier, the Rams could opt out and go year to year. How in the world is that so hard to understand?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

None of that is necessarily unfair or unreasonable but the question remains: How does the NFL feel about a city not living up to the terms of an existing lucrative contract early and trying to replace it with a less lucrative one?

I say it's probably a wash when you consider that the Rams are trying to break bylaws for the second time in 20 years. Based on the way the owners voted on the last move and how Superman Stan was the last catalyst for that shady move from LA I can see there being a lot of "what goes around comes around" sentiment from some in the NFL. Bottom line is if the city gets its ducks in a row and squares the financial aspect away, I'm not sure the lease on the dome even gets brought up. The media has already quit talking about it.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
The only bad thing I've heard is that it'll take 6 months to cap the site ONCE they find out what the development is going to be. Capping the site is bringing in fresh dirt, AFAIK.

Carmen Policy said late fall 2017 was the earliest that they could start. It will take at least a year for the environmental work to be completed. The problem is that they really don't know until the work starts to see if they need to rework the pilings and the cap the plus venting systems. Once the work is done then the inspections which could take months. This assumes that nothing else is discovered.

The reason most people in LA are skeptical is because this same property has been linked to many different developments over the years and which never could be started because of the problems. The NFL liked the site and could have purchased it multiple times but didn't.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The league?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-carson-chargers-raiders-stadium-20150506-story.html

That article says it will take 18 months to clean up. Sounds like a pretty substantial cleanup effort. And having heard from people on other boards who live in the area you can actually find spots around there with pools of sludge bubbling up through the ground. So 18 months to clean up, if they are able to clean it, and another 6 months to cap it with more dirt. Two years at best before they can start construction. Personally the thought of laying the foundation for a huge stadium through toxic mess even if it's cleaned up doesn't sound good. And they're doing it in earthquake country too.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The league?

I'm basing it on a poster on another board who lives 2 blocks away from the site and has lived there for something like 50 years.
Having read his posts for many years, I believe him when he says the thing is a mess and they are hiding the size and complexity of the clean-up.

Why would they lie? Who knows.. for sure.

But I believe that poster. If anything, his property would increase in value quite a bit... so he has no motivation to relay how bad it's been at that site for decades... other than to tell the truth.

Isiah58

UDFA
I think it is such a credit to this board how civilized this discussion is for the most part. There are passionate fans on both sides of the issue, but the contributors and moderators have done an incredible job of making the discussion interesting without the vitriol that other boards experience. The contributors to this thread should be commended as well for resisting the urge to let frustration degrade the discussion. My hat's off to all of you.

I posted about 150 pages back, and for some reason I felt compelled to post again this morning. Maybe every 150 or so pages is my at bat. Here are some of my opinions, based on absolutely nothing more than what I have read here. No inside information, no particular insight or facts other than what I have read.

1. St. Louis has done nothing that would merit losing the Rams. They have built stadia, supported the team, and done everything that a municipality could reasonably do to keep the Rams in St. Louis. Fan support is as good as most cities, and better than many. During the millisecond the Rams were good, the Dome was the hottest ticket in town. Missourians need not feel defensive about this entire escapade, this is not and should not be on you. And the lease was not breached as other's have emphasized, the lease simply provided a fork in the road that the Rams and City abided.

2. I have lived in Southern California for my entire 53 years. I am the antithetical So Cal football fan, in that I am a true die hard and always have been. I can honestly say that none of my friends or associates are like me. Yes, in a region this large there are many like me, some of whom frequent this board, but they are also few and far between. Los Angeles isn't a great football market. It's a cliché, its simplistic, and its (in my experience) true. I wish it wasn't the case, because I would love to be part of a community that eats, drinks, and sleeps football like I do, but I don't see it. Maybe that would change with the NFL returning to Los Angeles, but it is very hard for me to see. And it is disappointing for me to acknowledge that.

3. Because I believe #2 to be true, and because I also believe that the NFL owners and the people who matter also recognize #2 to be true, I think that the only way the NFL returns to Los Angeles is with a single team. I think any combination of two teams in Los Angeles (Rams/Chargers, Rams/Raiders, Chargers/Raiders) would be unsuccessful for one team and catastrophic for the second team. Dropping two teams into LA is simply a recipe for disaster, no matter which teams they put here. People may disagree with me, and market studies may show otherwise, but that is my unsupported, off-the-hip opinion. And I think the NFL owners suspect if not know that this is the case.

4. If Stan Kroenke owned the Chargers and wanted to move the Chargers to Inglewood, I think this would have been a slam dunk. No uprooting of franchises, the Chargers just moving up the road like the Cowboys moving to Irving or the 49ers moving to Santa Clara. But the NFL doesn't have that choice, it has St. Louis versus SD/Oak. Many believe that the NFL prefers Carson to resolve both SD's and Oakland's downtrodden stadium issues. This seems like the "fair" thing to do. Nobody is shut out, Kroenke gets a new stadium, LA is filled by two teams, SD can still visit their Chargers up the road, and Oakland can follow the 49ers. Easy peasy. But the NFL is not a charity for inept owners. I am not sure the League sees the need to rescue the Chargers and the Raiders from their situation. Why give LA to Spanos and Davis - what have they done to earn it? And what kind of black eye would the NFL have if one of these teams fails in LA? I just don't see the NFL gifting LA to the Chargers and the Raiders simply because they couldn't make their own markets work.

5. The logical next question is, "What has Kroenke done to deserve LA?" I don't have an answer for that one. But if I were the owners, I think I would have more confidence in Stan Kroenke making LA work than the combination of Spanos and Davis. So this is what it comes down to for me. Will the League place a higher priority on doing what is "fair" (Carson), or will the emphasis be on ensuring that the return to LA is a success (Inglewood)?

6. There are several arguments that I hear proffered that I don't personally buy. Again, just my biased, uninformed opinion with nothing to back it up. A) "If such and such happens, it will set a bad precedent . . . " I don't think the owners will make this decision based on what might happen in the future. I think most would agree that LA is a rare exception to the rule. I don't think the NFL is seriously worried about other franchises uprooting based on what happens in LA. And they can always cite different factors for future decisions. B) "The NFL doesn't want to turn down St. L's public funding because it would discourage other cities from ponying up." Or, it would send a signal that the next city must do more. Desperate cities will always be willing to sell their souls to attract/keep an NFL team. C) "The NFL would not voluntarily give up the St. Louis market when it doesn't have to." It gave up LA, it can give up anything.

7. The last argument that I question is that is those fans on other boards who contend that Kroenke is masterminding this entire charade to get a deal out of St. Louis. My problem with this argument (without knowing if it is actually true or false) is that Joe Sixpack recognizes that this is merely a rouse, but governors, city officials, other NFL owners, the media, etc. are all intended to be buffaloed by this subterfuge. If Joe Sixpack can see that this is phony, how can they expect the rest of the world to buy into it?

Sorry for the length, I hope I did not offend anyone. I will see you all in 150 pages : )

Status
Not open for further replies.