New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
More of the negative realism here, but there's no comparison between SD's record and ours over the last ten years. As we sit now, the Chargers are a much more proven team. We're a 6-10 team. Calling us average is a stretch, so I don't think the Rams tactic of selling the Rams organization as the most likely to succeed will work. They'd be better off to stick with the financial stability of the owner strategy. IMO.

If the Chargers are an "average team", the The Rams have consistently been below average. You gotta put down the Kool aid. You can't predict the Rams record next season - at most we can hope for a playoff appearance, which is something that is often a likely scenario for the Chargers, and something the rams have dreamed of being for 10 years. Period.

If we're talking Success - the Chargers have had it the most consistently of the 3 teams. Can't argue that any other way; the record speaks volumes.

Since these are basically the same post, I'll reply to both below.

First, there's no need to look back over the last 1o years, that's too far back. If you want to get a decent idea about success you need to look at the current teams that each franchise will field.

In that sense the teams are both about average. I consider average anywhere from 6-9 wins typically, right in that middle range. 4-6 wins would be below average, 10-12 wins above average, less than 4 bad, more than 12 very good.

Look back over the last three years (which is a better indication of the current teams) the Rams have come away with 7 wins twice, and 6 wins once (last year)... Average, nearing below average. The Chargers have come away with 9 wins twice and 7 wins once. Average nearly above average.. They also have one playoff appearance where they were one and done. They had a nice stretch between 2004 and 2009 where they were good and going to the playoffs, but they never really did much in them, and the team has changed since then.

I put them both in the Average category. The Chargers have had better records than the Rams, but they are also in a much easier division, so the teams are probably closer in ability than further away. That's not drinking any Kool Aid that's just looking how things are. I'm not saying the Rams have had the best record, or that the Chargers haven't. I'm saying what both teams are, they're average.

iced

Since these are basically the same post, I'll reply to both below.

First, there's no need to look back over the last 1o years, that's too far back. If you want to get a decent idea about success you need to look at the current teams that each franchise will field.

In that sense the teams are both about average. I consider average anywhere from 6-9 wins typically, right in that middle range. 4-6 wins would be below average, 10-12 wins above average, less than 4 bad, more than 12 very good.

Look back over the last three years (which is a better indication of the current teams) the Rams have come away with 7 wins twice, and 6 wins once (last year)... Average, nearing below average. The Chargers have come away with 9 wins twice and 7 wins once. Average nearly above average.. They also have one playoff appearance where they were one and done. They had a nice stretch between 2004 and 2009 where they were good and going to the playoffs, but they never really did much in them, and the team has changed since then.

I put them both in the Average category. The Chargers have had better records than the Rams, but they are also in a much easier division, so the teams are probably closer in ability than further away. That's not drinking any Kool Aid that's just looking how things are. I'm not saying the Rams have had the best record, or that the Chargers haven't. I'm saying what both teams are, they're average.

The Chargers are also often in the playoff hunt - The Rams are never in it come week 17.

The Chargers have been to the playoffs even recently - Rams still haven't. You may not believe going back 10 years is important (of course not because then you'd have to include the futile records of the Rams then) but I think its important because it shows which teams know how to build and consistently put out a winner.

Have the Rams changed over time? Sure. Are they on the same level of the Chargers yet? Nope.

4 winning seasons out of the 20 they've been in St.Louis speaks volumes - and unfortunately you can't predict the future; you can only look what type of team the ownership continually puts out there...and in that regard, its San Diego hands down.

ramfaninsd

UDFA
Bernie Miklasz joins Randy K. and D’Marco Farr to chat about his article on how winning won’t necessarily come with a move of a franchise. Teams that move usually have a lot of problems. Most of the time the problems move with the team. Kroenke can move the Rams if he’s allowed to, but if they win there it won’t be because they moved. It will be because of having good football players and coaching them up.

Listen to Bernie Talk Relocation and Winning
i disagree with bernie for one reason. hollywood! that alone will(imo) draw the better players in the league to whatever team is located there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to be the grammar/spelling nazi....but uh, suites...not sweets. :welcome:
You said it - I was definitely thinking it. Funny - I almost just went in and changed it for him. Oh well... I know I'd be looking up all kinds of words if not for spell checker. Now if I could get my phone to quit changing words to things that make no sense at all.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
i disagree with bernie for one reason. hollywood! that alone will(imo) draw the better players in the league to whatever team is located there.
If that was true all the players right now would flock to places like Miami and New York over other locales...the location is one of the greatest overstatements in the discussion of where free agents would go.
Free agents go where the money is first, and where they perceive they'd be successful 2nd.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You said it - I was definitely thinking it. Funny - I almost just went in and changed it for him. Oh well... I know I'd be looking up all kinds of words if not for spell checker. Now if I could get my phone to quit changing words to things that make no sense at all.

No doubt!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the Chargers are an "average team", the The Rams have consistently been below average. You gotta put down the Kool aid. You can't predict the Rams record next season - at most we can hope for a playoff appearance, which is something that is often a likely scenario for the Chargers, and something the rams have dreamed of being for 10 years. Period.

If we're talking Success - the Chargers have had it the most consistently of the 3 teams. Can't argue that any other way; the record speaks volumes.
I'd totally agree as far as the past ten years. I do think however that the Rams are better this year and looking like they will be better into the near future than any of the three. Hell - I think the Rams were the better team (talent wise) last year but just not between the ears yet and also minus a starting caliber QB. Even still, we should have won the head to head with SD. And Oakland.....? Yeah - we all know who is better between the Rams and Oak.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The Chargers are also often in the playoff hunt - The Rams are never in it come week 17.

The Chargers have been to the playoffs even recently - Rams still haven't. You may not believe going back 10 years is important (of course not because then you'd have to include the futile records of the Rams then) but I think its important because it shows which teams know how to build and consistently put out a winner.

Have the Rams changed over time? Sure. Are they on the same level of the Chargers yet? Nope.

4 winning seasons out of the 20 they've been in St.Louis speaks volumes - and unfortunately you can't predict the future; you can only look what type of team the ownership continually puts out there...and in that regard, its San Diego hands down.

Yeah. That's why I said the Chargers were better.... They're still average, but they're a better average.

I don't think San Diego really knows how to build a constant winner either, they hardly get it done in the playoffs, and that is pretty important. Better than us? Sure, but they're not a powerhouse team, and there's no use pretending they are. We're both pretty close with a bit of an edge to San Diego. Our last game against them was a good demonstration on that. Before that, we smoked em if I recall correctly.

iced

Yeah. That's why I said the Chargers were better.... They're still average, but they're a better average.

I don't think San Diego really knows how to build a constant winner either, they hardly get it done in the playoffs, and that is pretty important. Better than us? Sure, but they're not a powerhouse team, and there's no use pretending they are. We're both pretty close with a bit of an edge to San Diego. Our last game against them was a good demonstration on that. Before that, we smoked em if I recall correctly.

no one is pretending that they're a power house - but it's laughable to compare us to them, or even put the Rams in the same category. 5 playoff appearances, 4 divisional playoff games, with 1 AFC championship game since the last time we've made it. They have a franchise QB; we're still looking for one. Their division isn't as tough as ours, but is most certainly not a push over, especially with the Broncos in their division and the Pats in their conference.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
no one is pretending that they're a power house - but it's laughable to compare us to them, or even put the Rams in the same category. 5 playoff appearances, 4 divisional playoff games, with 1 AFC championship game since the last time we've made it. They have a franchise QB; we're still looking for one. Their division isn't as tough as ours, but is most certainly not a push over, especially with the Broncos in their division and the Pats in their conference.
You talking about their QB who wants to be traded? :fighting: :D

bluecoconuts

Legend

I would still put us in the same category, maybe not in terms of recent history, but as the teams stack up right now. They were more of a powerhouse when they had LT and that offense, but they don't have that anymore, now they're a pretty average team.

Do they have their franchise QB? Because Rivers is a UFA after next year, and there's been difficulty with reaching an agreement for an extension and there's been word that Rivers wants to leave the Chargers and some rumors even saying that he doesn't want to go to LA.. You're going to try to stick your Franchise QB in a city that he said he didn't want to be in?

iced

I would still put us in the same category, maybe not in terms of recent history, but as the teams stack up right now. They were more of a powerhouse when they had LT and that offense, but they don't have that anymore, now they're a pretty average team.

Do they have their franchise QB? Because Rivers is a UFA after next year, and there's been difficulty with reaching an agreement for an extension and there's been word that Rivers wants to leave the Chargers and some rumors even saying that he doesn't want to go to LA.. You're going to try to stick your Franchise QB in a city that he said he didn't want to be in?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...p-rivers-wants-to-finish-career-with-chargers
Philip Rivers placed his San Diego future in question two months ago when he rejected the notion of signing a contract extension with the Chargers.

Now there's reason to believe Rivers will stay with the organization under a new long-term deal, as NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport recently suggested.

Although Rivers said Tuesday that there is "nothing new to report" on contract talks, he added, via U-T San Diego's Michael Gehlkin that it would be "awesome" to finish his career with the Chargers.

As we pointed out last week, it would now be a surprise if Rivers doesn't retire in a Bolts uniform.

View: https://twitter.com/UTgehlken/status/603294512534814720

Moostache

Rookie

I'd totally agree as far as the past ten years. I do think however that the Rams are better this year and looking like they will be better into the near future than any of the three. Hell - I think the Rams were the better team (talent wise) last year but just not between the ears yet and also minus a starting caliber QB. Even still, we should have won the head to head with SD. And Oakland.....? Yeah - we all know who is better between the Rams and Oak.

I haven't kept up with the entire back and forth, but these two posts got me thinking about the general direction of the team vis a vis past records and projected future.

To me, one of the cruelest aspects of the potential relocation of the Rams at this time is the fact that the team that was so horrific, so often from 2002 through 2011 is finally looking like a legitimate playoff threat in the coming 4-6 year window. The defense alone should be able to keep the team around 0.500 as long as Quinn, Donald, Long, Fairley, Brockers, Ogletree, McDonald and the rest stay healthy and signed. The offense hinges on the development of the line, the recovery of Gurley and the consistency of Foles...there's a lot of if's on the offensive side of the ball, but there are at least credible parts in place...let's be honest, this current Rams roster is eons better than it was in 2011 when Fisher got to town even with some of the missteps along the way.

Of the three teams in the relocation derby, the Rams are unquestionably the best formed future roster. The Chargers are on the fade and the Raiders are their own special brand of FUBAR, although their roster has some nice building blocks with Carr, Mack and now Cooper and Crabtree. The cruelty of taking the Rams away just as they round the corner from god awful to legitimate contender is almost too much to bear.

At the very least, no matter all the things we cannot agree to between LA and STL based fans, we CAN all agree that this Rams roster is one hell of a lot better constructed than the one that left Anaheim in '95.

If (and I will hope out hope until the vans leave Rams Park with gear in the back) they do leave, LA fans should be glad that the St. Louis fan base took up the cross of the 15-65 era and the 10 consecutive non-winning, non-playoff seasons and a far better team would be leaving St. Louis than the one that arrived in the first place.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

haha I discovered the other day that my ipad was racist! It won't capitalize Mike for me but it will Miguel! /bluefont

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I haven't kept up with the entire back and forth, but these two posts got me thinking about the general direction of the team vis a vis past records and projected future.

To me, one of the cruelest aspects of the potential relocation of the Rams at this time is the fact that the team that was so horrific, so often from 2002 through 2011 is finally looking like a legitimate playoff threat in the coming 4-6 year window. The defense alone should be able to keep the team around 0.500 as long as Quinn, Donald, Long, Fairley, Brockers, Ogletree, McDonald and the rest stay healthy and signed. The offense hinges on the development of the line, the recovery of Gurley and the consistency of Foles...there's a lot of if's on the offensive side of the ball, but there are at least credible parts in place...let's be honest, this current Rams roster is eons better than it was in 2011 when Fisher got to town even with some of the missteps along the way.

Of the three teams in the relocation derby, the Rams are unquestionably the best formed future roster. The Chargers are on the fade and the Raiders are their own special brand of FUBAR, although their roster has some nice building blocks with Carr, Mack and now Cooper and Crabtree. The cruelty of taking the Rams away just as they round the corner from god awful to legitimate contender is almost too much to bear.

At the very least, no matter all the things we cannot agree to between LA and STL based fans, we CAN all agree that this Rams roster is one hell of a lot better constructed than the one that left Anaheim in '95.

If (and I will hope out hope until the vans leave Rams Park with gear in the back) they do leave, LA fans should be glad that the St. Louis fan base took up the cross of the 15-65 era and the 10 consecutive non-winning, non-playoff seasons and a far better team would be leaving St. Louis than the one that arrived in the first place.
Don't think I could agree more.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Status
Not open for further replies.