New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

Or.... you may be looking at what has transpired since Stan actually took over as majority owner. Taking a team that had been a laughing stock and turning it into a team that is being talked about as a very good team in by far the toughest division in the NFL. That versus SD and the Spanos family that always seems to do just enough to be a middling team - always the bridesmaid - never the bride.

Keep in mind that Stan has only had his people in place for a few years now. If the NFL is going to look at who is doing what to build a team, are they going to look at the team prior to Stan buying out Georgia's shares? I wouldn't think so. Why would they?

So in that vein, yeah, he has every shot at winning that contest.

Problem is as Fans we know our team - do you think other owners are studying our rosters (and others)? I don't - and as businessmen, I'd assume they're more about the factual numbers (W/L records); not educated guesses on what a team is going to do. There's off season champions every year.

And to make a point - every analyst and their mom had us going to the playoffs before the 2011 season, after coming a 7-9 season in 2010. The hiring of Josh Mcdaniels only furthered the hype. Think we all saw what happened that season: 2-14 record.

I don't believe for a second that other owners are analyzing our rosters or the 2 other teams and trying to make a predictions for long term success - those assurances come from records and consistency over time, two areas the Rams don't meet, and haven't even been playoff relevant in 10 years.

Hype means nothing at the end of the day - W/L records do

iced

Exactly the same for the Chargers and Raiders. They have extra security at all games because of the fighting and alcohol sales are limited during the games.

You don't think they tried the whole extra security angle before? They've had issues for years predating the final breaking point. Plenty of teams have extra security - however I don't think any two teams have had a blood bath like those two teams..

countless fights in the stands, shootings in the parking lot, etc.. Chargers and Raiders aren't banned from playing each other - again, not even remotely the same

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
You don't think they tried the whole extra security angle before? They've had issues for years predating the final breaking point. Plenty of teams have extra security - however I don't think any two teams have had a blood bath like those two teams..

countless fights in the stands, shootings in the parking lot, etc.. Chargers and Raiders aren't banned from playing each other - again, not even remotely the same

Not banned because they have to play each other because there in the same division. This is one of the reasons that people were skeptical about the 2 teams in the same division. Pre season games can be scheduled with anyone so need to have issues for any of the pre season games. The teams still play each other in regular season games.

iced

Not banned because they have to play each other because there in the same division. This is one of the reasons that people were skeptical about the 2 teams in the same division. Pre season games can be scheduled with anyone so need to have issues for any of the pre season games. The teams still play each other in regular season games.

Still not anywhere near what I'm talking about. I'm not saying if Carson is set up that they're gonna stay in the same division - alls I'm saying is the Raiders and Niners won't be in the same one. Whether that's the Chargers moving or a complex realignment of divisions, those two teams are not going to end up playing each other twice a year after being regulated to seeing each other only once every 4 years.

Until the NFL feels comfortable with the fan violence coming down, forget those two teams playing more often than they're currently reduced to.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Chargers:
2014 9-7
2013 9-7 (playoff appearance)
2012 7-9
2011 8-8
2010 9-7
42-38 (.525)

Raiders
2014 3-13
2013 4-12
2012 4-12
2011 8-8
2010 8-8
27 - 53 (.337)

Rams
2014 6-10
2013 7-9
2012 7-8-1
2011 2-14
2010 7-9
29-50-1 (.362)

Chargers seem consistent... consistently average.
Raiders are bad... and not making progress.
Rams are bad but making progress... but I wouldn't call them average yet.

Rams overwent a major overhaul in front office and personnel in 2012, why care about previous teams? I guess I'm in the minority here, but to me looking at previous teams and regimes is pointless if we want to look forward.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams overwent a major overhaul in front office and personnel in 2012, why care about previous teams? I guess I'm in the minority here, but to me looking at previous teams and regimes is pointless if we want to look forward.
Yeah... you're not winning that "Rams are average" debate... ;)

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Still not anywhere near what I'm talking about. I'm not saying if Carson is set up that they're gonna stay in the same division - alls I'm saying is the Raiders and Niners won't be in the same one. Whether that's the Chargers moving or a complex realignment of divisions, those two teams are not going to end up playing each other twice a year after being regulated to seeing each other only once every 4 years.

Until the NFL feels comfortable with the fan violence coming down, forget those two teams playing more often than they're currently reduced to.

The fan violence is the same for the Chargers and Raiders games.
2 years ago.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-chargers-game-brawl-entire-section-arrested

Last year

View: https://youtu.be/D-2hBQvLJvw

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah... you're not winning that "Rams are average" debate... ;)

This is a Rams fan board right? Why is everyone trying to shit on us now? :cautious:

During the season we all blamed the refs, we get mad when others rank us low, when PFF says we don't have good offensive players, yet now we're doing it to ourselves? What is this blasphemy?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Come on Goose this does not mean the Chargers want to relocate, does it?

iced

The fan violence is the same for the Chargers and Raiders games.
2 years ago.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-chargers-game-brawl-entire-section-arrested

Last year

View: https://youtu.be/D-2hBQvLJvw

Pales in comparison

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-year-49ers-wont-play-raiders-this-preseason/

But the annual Bay Area rivalry has been scrapped this year: The full 2012 NFL preseason schedule is out, and the 49ers aren’t playing the Raiders.

The reason is that last year’s Raiders-49ers preseason game turned ugly, with fights in the stands, a beating in a restroom and two shootings in a parking lot. Many law-abiding fans of both teams complained after the game that a relatively small number of troublemakers use the annual Raiders-49ers as an excuse to go looking for a fight with someone wearing different-colored gear, and officials from both teams and the NFL indicated afterward that they thought the game was more trouble than it was worth.

bad enough to where the local police want it to end, as well as the NFL. Again, no other teams have had this. Its a unique situation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ers-raiders-will-no-longer-meet-in-preseason/
The fan-on-fan violence that marred Saturday’s game between the Raiders and 49ers will result in the NFL to stop scheduling the teams to play each other in the preseason.

Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury-Newsreports that the 49ers and Raiders will end their annual exhibition game. The local police strongly support ending the preseason rivalry, Kawakami reports.

The owners aren't gonna put them in the same division...Believe what you want - but I don't think there's a chance in hell it happens. Especially with such an emphasis on safety

ramfaninsd

UDFA
If that was true all the players right now would flock to places like Miami and New York over other locales...the location is one of the greatest overstatements in the discussion of where free agents would go.
Free agents go where the money is first, and where they perceive they'd be successful 2nd.

that's what i am talking about money not from the team from endorsements, tv, talk shows etc.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Come on Goose this does not mean the Chargers want to relocate, does it?

I don't know what it means. All we know is there can't be a vote in 2015. Still a long way to go. The Raiders deadline is fast approaching as well.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Chargers drop hammer on SD, say vote on new stadium 'not possible'
By John Breech | CBSSports.com

June 16, 2015 8:21 pm ET

Chargers-raidrs-front.jpg

Here's what the Chargers stadium in LA might look like. (Manica Architecture)
It's starting to look like the city of San Diego is facing a fourth-and-long situation when it comes to keeping the Chargers.

After three meetings between the city and the Chargers, the team has decided that there's no possible way the city could get a local stadium ballot measure in front of voters before the end of 2015.

The city had recently laid out plans for a $1.1 billion stadium in San Diego that would have required $121 million in contributions from both county and city taxpayers.

The tentative plan was to have a vote on Dec. 15, 2015, which would have been well before the January 2016 window opens for teams to apply for relocation to Los Angeles.

However, the Chargers don't think getting a ballot measure ready that fast is possible and the team's special counsel, Mark Fabiani, made that clear in a statement.

"Based on all of this work and discussion, the Chargers have concluded that it is not possible to place a ballot measure before voters in December 2015 in a legally defensible manner given the requirements of the State's election law and the California Environmental Quality Act," Fabiani said. "The various options that we have explored with the City's experts all lead to the same result: Significant time-consuming litigation founded on multiple legal challenges, followed by a high risk of eventual defeat in the courts."

The statement doesn't mean the Chargers are gone, but it's definitely not good news for San Diego.

In a statement released by the San Diego Mayor's office, it sounded like the city was almost ready to admit defeat.

"It appears the Chargers have pulled the plug on San Diego even though the city and county have gone out of their way to try and accommodate the team," a spokesman said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Instead of working collaboratively on a solution, the Chargers have thrown up one road block after another in San Diego while working aggressively on stadium plans in Carson. It's disappointing, especially for fans."

Speaking of the Carson plan, that took another step forward in May when the Chargers andRaiders closed the deal on the 157 acres of land the two teams will need to build a new stadium at the California site just south of LA.

One positive for San Diego though: Fabiani's statement did leave the door open for further negotiations.

"The Chargers are committed to maintaining an open line of communication with the City's negotiators as we move through the summer and leading up to the special August meeting of National Football League owners," Fabiani said. "That meeting may provide important information about what is likely to occur during the remainder of 2015."

As you can tell by the statement released by the Mayor's office, no one in the city is overly optimistic about keeping the Chargers right now.

As for the special meeting Fabiani's referring to, all 32 NFL owners are set to meet in Chicago on Aug. 14 with the main topic of discussion focusing on which teams might move to LA and when they would move there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...n-sd-say-election-on-new-stadium-not-possible

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what it means. All we know is there can't be a vote in 2015. Still a long way to go. The Raiders deadline is fast approaching as well.

The way I read it was San Diego feels it will be able to have a vote but the Chargers don't think that's possible. They also think that with possible lawsuits to bypass the environmental impact surveys would delay it to the point it would make the Chargers miss possibly going to Carson.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The way I read it was San Diego feels it will be able to have a vote but the Chargers don't think that's possible. They also think that with possible lawsuits to bypass the environmental impact surveys would delay it to the point it would make the Chargers miss possibly going to Carson.

Chargers are doing the same thing they've been doing for years, trying to shoot down the plan before it gets off the ground.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And pre season games attract a different crowd. The games don't count. Regular season games have a different climate. You have season ticket holders who could get their tickets revoked. Yeah it's hard to control the nonsense at pre season but if it was best for the NFL to put Oakland and San Fran in same division it would be done.

iced

Yup and Spanos seems to be loved because he refuses to work with San Diego.

Time has always been an issue with the plan, among many other reasons - it was reported from when the proposal was first made and it still rings true today. This news isn't shocking - the onus is on San Diego to prove them wrong and get it to a vote.

I love how everyone acts like San Diego's plan is viable - when it's not. No stadium yet has met the requirements Grubman has stated for a viable stadium proposal - not even St.Louis has until the financing is secured.

Status
Not open for further replies.