New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moostache

Rookie
New stadium video with Joe Buck narrating. I didn't see this posted in the last 4 pages, so here you go.

Awesome video...all of the footage is old, but the Joe Buck narration is new (at least to me too)...

The riverfront stadium is going to be huge for the state of Missouri as well as the city of St. Louis. It really is an opportunity to do something that anchors the cities of St. Louis and Kansas City as the true gateway to the west for the league. I know many old time Rams fans think its anathema to move divisions, but if this decision tilts to keeping the team in St. Louis it is in the best interests of everyone to move the franchise into the AFC West and swap out the Raiders to the NFC West. Los Angeles and San Francisco is the rivalry...not Rams and Niners. If the 2 Missouri teams staged an annual I-70 home and home it would be great for building a true rivalry for the St. Louis NFL fanbase.

Independent of my desire to see the Rams stay, I really want to see that stadium complex built downtown to change that rat hole area into something worth visiting again...

rams2050

Starter
Some of the graphics in that video are new, especially the ones delineating the green spaces and how they will link together through Laclede's Landing and all the way to the Gateway Arch grounds. That is most impressive, imo. Plus, the music is fantastic -- I get chills watching that video! Hope the stadium and all the nearby development come to fruition. It will definitely give St. Louis a real boost and a riverfront 'facelift.'

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you get a chance to listen, Ray Hartmann from St Louis Magazine presented a devastating case as to why the Rams will leave. I won't present his argument, but the Q & A session with upset fans and hosts of CBS Sports Radio 920 is posted.....His aguments were solid, but you be the judge.

http://www.insidestl.com/

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Even though I'm very much pro-LA, I watched the video and was moved. Nothing but respect for Joe Buck who you can tell truly loves his hometown and wants the best for its people.

He'll also forever be tied to my favorite sports moment of all time. I always remember his dad who, with all due respect to Vin Scully, who is bar none, the greatest sports commentator ever, made THE CALL of game 1 of the 1988 World Series. Never a more magical moment has occurred in sports.

at 2:19 :D

RamBill

Legend
Bernie Miklasz joins Randy K. and D’Marco Farr to chat about his article on how winning won’t necessarily come with a move of a franchise. Teams that move usually have a lot of problems. Most of the time the problems move with the team. Kroenke can move the Rams if he’s allowed to, but if they win there it won’t be because they moved. It will be because of having good football players and coaching them up.

Listen to Bernie Talk Relocation and Winning

RamBill

Legend
Hartman Interview/Transcript:

Listen to Hartman Interview Here

Notable excerpts from the interview--

You recently wrote in St. Louis Magazine about the politics Jay Nixon's using in building a St. Louis stadium:

"Whenever you talk about the stadium...it's important to distinguish between observing what's going on and advocating. I'm not crusading against the stadium...Because I'm pretty confident it's not going to happen. This lawsuit is really the equivalent of pro wrestling in the legal system. (The Dome Authority) is ostensibly suing the city of St. Louis...requiring voters to approve of the stadium. The plaintiff and the defendant are on the same side. So it's all play acting."

"When they set this up in 1989, they set this up for one project and one project only. They set it up to do one building. Whatever they had to do to get the Dome built...this was clear. What (Jay Nixon) did, he discovered that perhaps with a loophole, the word 'adjacent' is complex...There's a very slim possibility that we're going to have an NFL team here. If (Stan Kroenke) moves the Rams, we're back where we were 20 years ago."

If St. Louis doesn't have a chance at getting funding to build the stadium, why is the St. Louis task force portraying that's not the case?

"I will say Dave Peacock couldn't be a nicer guy. I don't know. I'm not a know-it-all. I'm just looking at the basic facts out there in the public. Maybe they have some theory why Stan Kroenke would put that team in that building. I don't want to go into their motives. I think they're sincere. And I think maybe they thought they could get by with the financing. Personally...I think they should've tried to cut a deal with the Kansas City guys across the state. Had they gone to the legislature...it wouldn't have taken any appropriations from the legislature. I think they made a calculation that they'd survive a court case. Maybe they've got some amazing secret sauce theory about Kroenke."

Do you think if they were to secure a team, you don't think they'll get the financing for a stadium?

"I do think if they can get this through the courts...and if Kroenke leaves, I think we've got a puncher's chance of getting a team. There's not a long line of cities anymore putting up $450 million for a stadium. The NFL loves it."

On corporate spending and how it'll affect the future of NFL in St. Louis:

"Can St. Louis' corporate community, can they support three teams (with one of them being the Cardinals). The St. Louis Cardinals rank sixth out of 30 markets at $1.4 billion. After the Cardinals, there's not enough room for the Blues and the Rams to do well. Cardinals president Bill DeWitt Jr. said it would be better for them if the Rams leave. It's not all about the fans. It's about the luxury boxes (and corporate money). (Attendance) doesn't float their boat. It's about getting corporate dough. I hate it when people talk about this in terms of the fans. Laying the guilt trip on St. Louis fans...is almost immoral. "

More on corporate spending. Has St. Louis' loss of some corporate headquarters hurt in this regard?

"It's really an unfortunate thing for St. Louis. You've seen so many corporations here. Anheuser-Busch, the May Company was a huge one for St. Louis. Corporations spend money where they have an outpost. Southwestern Bell (when they had their headquarters here), they spent a lot of money on sports. When you look at the Cardinals, it's a pie, there's only so much to go around."

More on corporations:

"The Rams start with 126 suites and they only sell 100 of them. If you look at the record over the last decade, Kansas City isn't much better than we are. I agree the Rams have sucked. But I think it's because of the corporations. And the Cardinals just took off in the past 10 years. They're competition. The corporations diminished and the Rams sucked. All three things happened at the same time. I do know they use to sell (the suites out and almost all the club seats). It's bad for us as sports fans. They won't admit it, but it's good for the Blues and Cardinals (if the Rams leave). "

CALLER QUESTIONS/COMMENTS:

What about the NFL setting a precedent to let teams pick up and leave even if the city is putting up money

"Here's the precedent I don't think the NFL wants to set: (St. Louis) walked away from upgrading the Edward Jones Dome, now it's going to help us two years later? (St. Louis) had a deal, we had a contract walked away from it. We walked away. I do think there's a slim hope if the Rams leave, that perhaps (Jaguars owner) Shahid Khan would sell the team and strike a deal to own a team here. That's just a theory. People should've known this is coming.

Thoughts on the cross-ownership issue in Denver and how that could play out?

"Why hasn't that played out in five years? He broke the rules five years ago. One theory is (Denver Broncos owner) Pat Bowlen has Alzheimer's and is near the end. It would make sense for (Kroenke) to get to Denver. Another theory is Kroenke will move the Rams to move to LA, then sell them (for over $2 billion), then go to Denver. But even if they did a franchise swap, who's going to put the money here? All those scenarios are speculative...and I think the legislature will be a bit of a problem if it takes much time next session."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...io-for-Discussion-on-Stadium-Rams-Future.aspx

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Corporate sweets spending is a very real problem in a lot of markets. As he mentions even the Chiefs in Arrowhead have a problem selling them out. Our local AAA team only having around 30 sweets has a similar problem. In some of the smaller, even average size markets are dealing with this a secondary corporate centers are consolidated down.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you get a chance to listen, Ray Hartmann from St Louis Magazine presented a devastating case as to why the Rams will leave. I won't present his argument, but the Q & A session with upset fans and hosts of CBS Sports Radio 920 is posted.....His aguments were solid, but you be the judge.

http://www.insidestl.com/
He has a couple really good points...but I fail to see how this is devastating given that he's been saying this exact same information for years.

The simplest argument against his theory that Kroenke would just go year to year in St. Louis and become a free agent and move at his first chance is that it assumes Kroenke simply wants out of St. Louis.

I think that is far from the truth...I think Kroenke wants IN LA. If the Chargers and Raiders are awarded LA why does Hartmann assume Kroenke will leave St. Louis for any other city?
What other cities are going to pony up the cash that St. Louis is for a stadium?

His other point of Stan going year to year in the dome rather than put up his own money for a new stadium is also a simple argument. Without knowing what the deal would be for the new stadium how are we to say it doesn't make more sense to move forward with a new stadium in STL as opposed to staying in the dome? A new stadium will create many new financial opportunities and with another lease it's hard to believe that it also wouldn't be beneficial in some way to the Rams to be in it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Corporate sweets spending is a very real problem in a lot of markets. As he mentions even the Chiefs in Arrowhead have a problem selling them out. Our local AAA team only having around 30 sweets has a similar problem. In some of the smaller, even average size markets are dealing with this a secondary corporate centers are consolidated down.
Not to be the grammar/spelling nazi....but uh, suites...not sweets. :welcome:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has a couple really good points...but I fail to see how this is devastating given that he's been saying this exact same information for years.

The simplest argument against his theory that Kroenke would just go year to year in St. Louis and become a free agent and move at his first chance is that it assumes Kroenke simply wants out of St. Louis.

I think that is far from the truth...I think Kroenke wants IN LA. If the Chargers and Raiders are awarded LA why does Hartmann assume Kroenke will leave St. Louis for any other city?
What other cities are going to pony up the cash that St. Louis is for a stadium?

His other point of Stan going year to year in the dome rather than put up his own money for a new stadium is also a simple argument. Without knowing what the deal would be for the new stadium how are we to say it doesn't make more sense to move forward with a new stadium in STL as opposed to staying in the dome? A new stadium will create many new financial opportunities and with another lease it's hard to believe that it also wouldn't be beneficial in some way to the Rams to be in it.

He mentions the very cheap rent at the Ed Jones Dome. He mentions the naming rights money the Rams get at the Ed Jones Dome (6 million or so?)...The financial outlook of corporate sponsors/luxury box buyers is declining every year in St Louis, while the cities he mentioned were San Antonio, Portland, and even London..Rapidly growing communities. I believe he did say that building the new stadium (St Louis)would increase the value of the team, from its 32nd Team value ranking (somewhat)..When the Rams came to St Louis, they were somewhere in the middle of the those same rankings, but then St Louis declined to what it is today....Again, these are his arguments, not mine.....Harmann posits that Kroenke at the very least, is wanting to build a stadium in Inglewood and move the Rams there, increasing the teams value to 2 billion from less than a billion now, before selling it. He would get less money if he did the same thing in a different rapidly growing city, but would probably be a better return on investment than doing the same in St Louis....Yes, this is a devastating argument to me..,.

iced

I know it wasn't your quote, I was commenting on Randy's quote.

What the Chargers did 3 or 4 or 5 years ago doesn't matter, it's what they do next year and the years after that. The Chargers have never really been that good, they had some some stretches here or there, but they could never really get over the hump. They're an average team.. The Raiders are in a mess from top to bottom and have been for a while. Rams are clawing themselves out of their hole but haven't quite made it yet. I'd say the Rams and Chargers are average, while the Raiders are poor as we stand right now.

If the Chargers are an "average team", the The Rams have consistently been below average. You gotta put down the Kool aid. You can't predict the Rams record next season - at most we can hope for a playoff appearance, which is something that is often a likely scenario for the Chargers, and something the rams have dreamed of being for 10 years. Period.

If we're talking Success - the Chargers have had it the most consistently of the 3 teams. Can't argue that any other way; the record speaks volumes.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He mentions the very cheap rent at the Ed Jones Dome. He mentions the naming rights money the Rams get at the Ed Jones Dome (6 million or so?)...The financial outlook of corporate sponsors/luxury box buyers is declining every year in St Louis, while the cities he mentioned were San Antonio, Portland, and even London..Rapidly growing communities. I believe he did say that building the new stadium (St Louis)would increase the value of the team, from its 32nd Team value ranking (somewhat)..When the Rams came to St Louis, they were somewhere in the middle of the those same rankings, but then St Louis declined to what it is today....Again, these are his arguments, not mine.....Harmann posits that Kroenke at the very least, is wanting to build a stadium in Inglewood and move the Rams there, increasing the teams value to 2 billion from less than a billion now, before selling it. He would get less money if he did the same thing in a different rapidly growing city, but would probably be a better return on investment than doing the same in St Louis....Yes, this is a devastating argument to me..,.

No, it isn't devastating because he's been making this exact same commentary for years. Is it devastating because this is the first time you've heard it?

Like I said, who is to say that this new stadium won't include any enticing benefits to the team like the dome does? Maybe it won't be the same but it could be...it could be different and better for all parties...the point is that using an argument against an unknown is only used to stir a response.

San Antonio, Portland, and London...thats a good point to bring up, but again...are those cities willing to pony up the money that St. Louis is? While they are growing cities are their markets that much greater than St. Louis (outside of London, but I think there are many variables with that example) that it would produce more than staying here with public funding? This is still going on the assumption that Kroenke simply wants out of St. Louis...but everything suggests Kroenke simply wants IN LA.

Why do you suppose that Ray Hartmann of St. Louis Magazine is the only one bringing these points to the surface? Nobody else locally. Nobody else nationally (even those that are pro LA Rams).

Not devastating. It's old fodder that he himself hasn't taken the time to investigate further to see how much merit these issues hold.

I don't know, Loyal, which side of the location debate you fall on (sorry, I don't always pay attention to who is saying what) but in regard to this I simply feel like there are far better sources that bring far greater reasons for doubt on the STL stadium than this one.

iced

Awesome video...all of the footage is old, but the Joe Buck narration is new (at least to me too)...

The riverfront stadium is going to be huge for the state of Missouri as well as the city of St. Louis. It really is an opportunity to do something that anchors the cities of St. Louis and Kansas City as the true gateway to the west for the league. I know many old time Rams fans think its anathema to move divisions, but if this decision tilts to keeping the team in St. Louis it is in the best interests of everyone to move the franchise into the AFC West and swap out the Raiders to the NFC West. Los Angeles and San Francisco is the rivalry...not Rams and Niners. If the 2 Missouri teams staged an annual I-70 home and home it would be great for building a true rivalry for the St. Louis NFL fanbase.

Independent of my desire to see the Rams stay, I really want to see that stadium complex built downtown to change that rat hole area into something worth visiting again...

Never will happen - Raiders and Niners have too much fan violence and issues; enough to the point where Goodell has dictated they will not play in the pre-season again, and will only play as the rotation calls for it. No way in hell they'll move them into the same division together

Moostache

Rookie
Well, that's your opinion. The Niners and Raiders issue has a lot more to do with Oakland and San Francisco than the teams. It is disingenuous to say the same trouble would follow the Raiders to L.A.

I won't try to convince you to change your opinion, just point out its not fact Ora major hurdle if it comes down to Carson site and St. Louis in the end.
Never will happen - Raiders and Niners have too much fan violence and issues; enough to the point where Goodell has dictated they will not play in the pre-season again, and will only play as the rotation calls for it. No way in hell they'll move them into the same division together

iced

Well, that's your opinion. The Niners and Raiders issue has a lot more to do with Oakland and San Francisco than the teams. It is disingenuous to say the same trouble would follow the Raiders to L.A.

I won't try to convince you to change your opinion, just point out its not fact Ora major hurdle if it comes down to Carson site and St. Louis in the end.

Oh I totally think Carson will win out in the end

however I don't believe the NFL is going to prohibit two teams from playing in the pre-season only to later move them into the same division together

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nKNkojC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.