New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Entirely due to Warner. We wanted Warner to win the SB. Absolutely huge difference there.
Right but that wouldn't be the case if the Cards were such a hated rival. We might hope for Warner to do well in a loss but no way would you want the team to win. If Warner went to the Whiners, I can guarantee you that I would still want them to lose and I don't think I am much different on this than most Rams fans. As it was the Cards and not the Whiners, I was more - meh - go cards and GO WARNER!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right but that wouldn't be the case if the Cards were such a hated rival. We might hope for Warner to do well in a loss but no way would you want the team to win. If Warner went to the Whiners, I can guarantee you that I would still want them to lose and I don't think I am much different on this than most Rams fans. As it was the Cards and not the Whiners, I was more - meh - go cards and GO WARNER!!!
Exactly!
I wouldn't have rooted for Warner if he was wearing a 49er uniform!

MrMotes

Starter
Nobody gives a crap about the cards because they've never been much of a threat to us.

If we get good and they're the ones standing in our way, well then it's a rivalry...

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
FMqDwsm.jpg

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
What is that? The Ram looks like a mad cow, or it has mad cow and it's burqa is slipping..

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'd have to say you seriously underestimate the love ST Louis has for Warner. He could have been on SF or Seattle or any other team and we would have rooted for him. You should see most residents froth at the mouth when I suggest we might have won the SB with Green if he'd not been hurt. And Green is a local boy, went to high school less than 5 miles from my house. His popularity here cannot be overstated. I think you also underestimate the loathing longtime residents of St Louis has for the Bidwell family. Which of course extends to his team.

iced

A lot of us wanted bruce to do well when he signed with the niners...just not against us

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'd have to say you seriously underestimate the love ST Louis has for Warner. He could have been on SF or Seattle or any other team and we would have rooted for him. You should see most residents froth at the mouth when I suggest we might have won the SB with Green if he'd not been hurt. And Green is a local boy, went to high school less than 5 miles from my house. His popularity here cannot be overstated. I think you also underestimate the loathing longtime residents of St Louis has for the Bidwell family. Which of course extends to his team.

Would you root for Warner on the Patriots?

You St Louisians are an interesting bunch, that's for sure. :LOL: I have a lot of love for guys like Warner, Bruce, Holt, but I wouldn't root for the 49ers if they went to them (and didn't when Bruce went there)...

Same as the Kings, I love Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown, but if they went to the Ducks or the Sharks? Fuck that.

It actually happened with Rob Blake, Kings drafted him and he spent 12 years in LA, he was their Captain from 1996 until 2001 when he was traded to the Avs... He came back to LA in 2006 and was again the Captain until 2008. Fans loved him, he was a Norris Winner, a leader, his hip check was legendary... Then he left for the Sharks and spent his last two season there.... He gets booed every time they announce his name now. Since being hired as assistant GM the booing has gone down some, but all it took was going to a rival to destroy everything he did for a lot of fans.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

You St Louisians are an interesting bunch, that's for sure. :LOL: I have a lot of love for guys like Warner, Bruce, Holt, but I wouldn't root for the 49ers if they went to them (and didn't when Bruce went there)...

Same as the Kings, I love Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown, but if they went to the Ducks or the Sharks? freak that.

It actually happened with Rob Blake, Kings drafted him and he spent 12 years in LA, he was their Captain from 1996 until 2001 when he was traded to the Avs... He came back to LA in 2006 and was again the Captain until 2008. Fans loved him, he was a Norris Winner, a leader, his hip check was legendary... Then he left for the Sharks and spent his last two season there.... He gets booed every time they announce his name now. Since being hired as assistant GM the booing has gone down some, but all it took was going to a rival to destroy everything he did for a lot of fans.

I'm just relaying conversations I've had over the years. I don't really think its odd in this situation as I'll explain below...

image.jpg

I'm actually reading Rams fans would root for the Whiners.

No you're not. You've read that people in St Louis root for Kurt Warner. What team he is on doesn't really matter, it's not nearly the same thing. And let's face it. Kurt is a QB who helped us to a SB and is a quality individual. He still does charity work here in ST Louis and is one of the classiest athletes St Louis and the NFL has ever known. I would have hated it if he went to the 49ers but I like to think I would have pulled for him to win in a season where we had no shot. It seems the right thing to do for a guy who did everything right and more that he didn't have to. I think my Rams fan cred could have survived that.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Same as the Kings, I love Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown, but if they went to the Ducks or the Sharks? freak that.

I would also say a factor is that Warner did not "leave" us, he got kicked to the curb. He didn't instantly jump over to them, he bounced around and had a rough time of it. I know that the feeling on him would be much different if he had left due to a contract dispute or money, but in this case it was the Rams who dumped him, and it wasn't like he immediately turned to the Cards for a job.

To compare it to dating, it is like if you dated a girl for a while it got really serious, but then you dumped her (no question...this wasn't a mutual split...you dumped her). You got this loser dude across the street you can't stand, but she doesn't start dating him to make you jealous so there is no revenge factor at play. Instead she dates a guy in another town (different divsion) but when that ends she somehow ends up dating the loser across the street. Surprisingly she gets him cleaned up and respectable...meanwhile the girl you dumped her for ended up having issues and not working out. Now you are looking across the street realizing she was a good girl all along, maybe you made a mistake dumping her (maybe not , maybe it wouldn't have worked for you two), and as much as you dislike the loser guy you have to grudgingly admit she is actually making him respectable and better, and in the end you have to pull for her happiness and a good end to her story.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just relaying conversations I've had over the years. I don't really think its odd in this situation as I'll explain below...

No you're not. You've read that people in St Louis root for Kurt Warner. What team he is on doesn't really matter, it's not nearly the same thing. And let's face it. Kurt is a QB who helped us to a SB and is a quality individual. He still does charity work here in ST Louis and is one of the classiest athletes St Louis and the NFL has ever known. I would have hated it if he went to the 49ers but I like to think I would have pulled for him to win in a season where we had no shot. It seems the right thing to do for a guy who did everything right and more that he didn't have to. I think my Rams fan cred could have survived that.

In your explanation you said you'd root for him to lead the Niners to a winning season. The fact that a former Ram led them makes no difference. The fact that the Rams in your scenario have no shot makes no difference. You in your example are ok with the Niners having a winning season. Sorry but that is not OK.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
In your explanation you said you'd root for him to lead the Niners to a winning season. The fact that a former Ram led them makes no difference. The fact that the Rams in your scenario have no shot makes no difference. You in your example are ok with the Niners having a winning season. Sorry but that is not OK.

Yeah, I think I'm comfortable with how I feel.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to be more into the players themselves. But, as I've grown older, it's more about the team.

So, when a particular Ram leaves the team, I always wish him well - except for those occasions when he plays the Rams. Then, I hope he sucks.

One caveat to that: If the player goes to a division rival, I cannot wish him well as he now presents an obstruction to the Rams winning the division. Under those circumstances, my wish is that their career tanks.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad

Hatred for the Niners can't be force fed. It has to be organic. St. Louis fans can't be expected to know Niner hate because...well...their fan history is somewhat limited. I think Bane said it best. Of course, just replace any references to darkness with Niner hatred. :D

"Oh, you think the darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the light until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you where I have made my home, whilst preparing to bring justice."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
"Oh, you think the darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the light until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you where I have made my home, whilst preparing to bring justice."

iced

Hatred for the Niners can't be force fed. It has to be organic. St. Louis fans can't be expected to know Niner hate because...well...their fan history is somewhat limited. I think Bane said it best.

I hate all 3 teams equally - Seahawks, Cards, Niners.. Seahawks have been the St.Louis rivalry since they moved here, and many times they met in the playoffs... Cardinals? The Greedy ownership that bailed on the city and abandoned us, so yea there's natural hate there...The Niners? The Decimation of the niners by the GSOT was a beautiful thing, and the first real time when people opened their eyes up to the rams in '99. But that rivalry is inherited - and I don't know how deep the hate goes there (although I do believe the STL/SF games did sell a lot of tickets in st.Louis)...Maybe them beating up on us early on in St.Louis helped add fuel to the fire.

As to Warner, he was screwed - period. And Its not like he left the Rams and ran to the Cardinals either. It wasn't an easy feat to cheer for the Cardinals - but once the Rams showed they were the joke of the NFL and the Cardinals were thriving under Warner - the same man who brought this city 2 Superbowls in 3 years and 1 ring - it became easier to root for him. they weren't rooting for the Cardinals, but they were rooting for Warner's success.

The only Comparison I can think of is imagine if Dickerson was screwed over in the same fashion as Warner, he left to go resurrect his career, and eventually ended up on the Niners..
I'd imagine for some it'd be bittersweet.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
It does amuse me slightly that people are willing to turn their back on 20 years of history in St Louis, 320 games, GSOT, the only place they've won a Super Bowl. But a 2 game a year opponent? "Not over my dead body". (I can understand that perspective from LA locals).

RamBill

Legend
U-T San Diego columnist Kevin Acee joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After Wednesday to talk about San Diego’s stadium situation and how it relates to the Chargers’ and Rams’ future and the relocation saga in Los Angeles. Acee says Spanos has the Votes to Block Stan Kroenke from moving the Rams to LA.

Listen to Acee Interview

=============

People monitoring situation in San Diego as it relates to the Rams future. What's the latest with the Chargers and San Diego and any public vote?

"The mayor says 'We can do this, September 15, mail only ballot.' That's just not the case. There's still a lot to work out between the city and the Chargers. The Chargers have to agree what the city's asking. And that's not going to happen. It's getting close to me saying the Chargers are gone."

Could Chargers get into business with Kroenke?

"That could happen. They haven't talked recently about that happening. There's still so much to decide. There's probably going to be two teams there. But no one wants to be the second team. San Diego's only chance (of keeping the Chargers) is that (a team doesn't move to LA in 2016). Their only chance is to slow Kroenke's role (and hope to make quick progress on getting a new stadium built)."

More on not wanting to be the second team to move to the LA market:

"Unless the NFL can convince that second team...that they'll take care of them. You just don't want to be the second team in the market. It's going to be hard as it is. I haven't heard anybody say it'd be OK to be the second team (to go to LA)."

Does Dean Spanos want to move his Chargers there?

"Complicated question. I would say he wants to stay in San Diego. Always has. It's been a long time of the team 'trying.' They're the ones who has pushed the agenda. But the city hasn't done a darn thing until recently. And in that time...Dean Spanos got frustrated. So he's turned his attention to Los Angeles. He'd like to stay in San Diego. But (it's like a) marriage where the wife tells the husband forever he's got to change. And he doesn't. But eventually he did, and she still loves him. But in the mean time, she met a flashy guy up the road, she had an affair with him."

Do you think the other NFL owners look at St. Louis' situation and think the NFL and Kroenke are bargaining in good faith with the city?

"I think the owners have a good idea of what's happening in St. Louis. I think they're going to do. As of right now, I don't know the Rams have the support to go to Los Angeles. I don't know the Chargers for sure have the support to go to Los Angeles. I think they do. I'm positive the Chargers have the votes to block the Rams from going to Los Angeles. I've talked to a lot of people - including owners - who assures me Dean Spanos has the votes to block Stan Kroenke. I am told by several people I trust...that there is support for Dean Spanos to block Stan Kroenke from going this year. That's something Dean Spanos has worked very, very hard for...is making sure he's got that support."

More on owners and Kroenke:

"The guys are going to do whatever they want. I think about Robert Kraft and what he did with losing the draft picks and him just accepting the punishment from the NFL for the good of the NFL. That's what happening here. Two teams are going to leave. And the NFL is going to make that happen. I realiaze Kroenke is richer than almost every other owner combined. But he needs the NFL to let him do his business in the NFL."

Have you heard anything about Stan Kroenke eventually buying the Denver Broncos if/when Pat Bowlen passes away?

"I heard it...I've heard people have talked about. I don't know anything about imminent plans with an ownership transfer."

When you talk with the owners...what are the reasons for why they would block Kroenke?

"I've talked to owners...we're not having four-hour dinners. A lot of the reasons I will get is this: they want to make sure everyone's working together. There is a lot of empathy with Dean Spanos and what he's gone through and done. He's been telling the owners and the league about his situation in San Diego for 14 years. He's the model owner. Stan Kroenke is not. I know there's favors to be paid back. And I know there's a true belief that Dean Spanos has done everything he can to stay in San Diego (in the eyes of the NFL and its owners). (All that matters is the 31 other NFL owners' decisions)."

With Los Angeles being relatively close to San Diego, why is it the end of the world if the Chargers relocate there?

"I don't know if you have a place like this in Missouri. But Los Angeles is like another world for (us in San Diego). I'm talking about how we feel about Los Angeles. We hate LA. That's not just me. That's a pervading feeling of the solid majority of people who live here."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...n-Says-Spanos-has-Votes-to-Block-Kroenke.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.